DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Wli

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W124 E280T , W211 E240
Originally Posted by S550e
Regardless, the battery should last well over 1 year... I just replaced the battery and it was over 4 years old. Make sure you have a battery that is of OEM specifications.
Will check the battery and see what is wrong with it. Big thanks to you and to this thread, I am happy with the carplay box.
Cheers
Old 12-12-2021, 10:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLK350

PLEASE NOTE:
I did NOT install the included microphone. I never use SIRI and that is the main use for the microphone. You can still answer calls through CarPlay and use the factory MB mic! All you need to do is go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > and SET to Bluetooth Headset. You can answer calls on CarPlay and when you hit Accept, it will route the call to the factory MB Bluetooth. Make sure you are connected to both MB Bluetooth and the CarPlay unit Bluetooth for this to work.

You may feel the need to install the included microphone (for SIRI only), follow the video installation and route it to where you wish.

OTHER THREADS TO READ:
I suggest checking out these other threads before purchasing or attempting to install the unit.

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7 by @cadetdrivr
Group Buy For A Wireless Joyeauto CarPlay/Android Auto Retrofit by @deeoh
not sure if you are facing this problem but a call comes in, it always default to carplay rather than mb bluetooth. I have to manually select MB Bluetooth on my iphone before I can hear people. your recommendation for call routing bluetooth headset doesn't have any effect.

Also, if I disable blutooth, I can make calls through the carplaycarplay using my factory mic, but people on the other end has trouble hearing. doesn't seem carplay decoder allows for me to adjust the mic setting too>
Old 12-13-2021, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212
Hello, maybe some of you can help me, the module works fine except for the sound. I was not able to set the setting "use aux input". A Programmer was necessary to activate it.
Unfortunately there is still no sound. You guys got an idea? In my w212 there is no aux I have only the MI in the center console.

Thank You!

Old 12-16-2021, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
I've been following this thread for a while now. It seems that the lion share of W212 owners with NTG4.0 have gone with the Kremersino option (https://kremersino.com/wireless-carp...mercedes-benz/) but I am curious if anyone has installed the module made by Cinsionze under the trade name Joyeauto (https://cinsionze.net/products/joyea...40591809282207) - which is the one that the forum for NTG4.5 & 4.7 has been discussing. While there is a price difference of about $120USD it nay be worth it in terms of quality?? Not sure. If you've installed the Joyeauto for NTG4.0 I'd love to hear about your experience and results. For the record, I have a 2011 E550 4Matic, my first MB, and I love it despite having to do quite a but of Airmatic work since purchasing in August. That's a whole other story, but these forums are incredible for diving into DYI projects - thanks all!
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (12-18-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by higginsdl19
I've been following this thread for a while now. It seems that the lion share of W212 owners with NTG4.0 have gone with the Kremersino option (https://kremersino.com/wireless-carp...mercedes-benz/) but I am curious if anyone has installed the module made by Cinsionze under the trade name Joyeauto (https://cinsionze.net/products/joyea...40591809282207) - which is the one that the forum for NTG4.5 & 4.7 has been discussing. While there is a price difference of about $120USD it nay be worth it in terms of quality?? Not sure. If you've installed the Joyeauto for NTG4.0 I'd love to hear about your experience and results. For the record, I have a 2011 E550 4Matic, my first MB, and I love it despite having to do quite a but of Airmatic work since purchasing in August. That's a whole other story, but these forums are incredible for diving into DYI projects - thanks all!
i tried 3 differ decoders and joyauto was my least favorite (albeit this is for ntg 4.7). It was the nicest looking but was the buggiest of them all. Especially the supposed wireless carplay feature that worked 1/4 of the time as it tend to overheat the unit.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:35 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
bmwstephen - which of the 3 did you find performed the best? Thx.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:29 AM

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic P2 Pano
Originally Posted by higginsdl19
bmwstephen - which of the 3 did you find performed the best? Thx.
Im curious too as I would like to do this to my car.

Is this using the same hardware or is this different from the others?

https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/w...***-2012-2015/

Chris
Old 12-21-2021, 10:12 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
EDIT: GOT IT WORKING
Well after scratching my head for a bit, I determined the problem. The main battery was run down and weak; ultimately needing a replacement. I have a 2010 E550 Coupe (which means no auxiliary battery). The main starter battery was (unknown to me) on its way out. Confusing, since everything works, including the stereo, and command, when the Kremersino box is NOT connected to the car.

On a hunch (and because a few other things on the car were acting odd, such as the rear sun share only going up halfway) - tested the voltage on the starter battery and it was 12.1 Volts. Enough to start the car and play the radio (even with the engine off) - but apparently too low for the Kremersino box. I put the car on the charger, came back the next day, and to my pleasant surprise, everything works. Carplay, command, etc. No issues.

So if you're experiencing intermittent functioning of the Kermersino box (like I did) - it might be the car's battery.

Here are some of the "symptoms" I experienced when the Kermersino box was plugged in correctly:
1. Black screen at start up, hold "end call" would get Kermersino screen; but upon trying again it wouldn't work
2. Mercedes Command logo for a second, then blanks screen
3. Hold "end call" screen changes but is either a lit up blank screen, or is distorted scan lines

All of this had me confused as it was pointing to a lot of different things. Command never worked (without a fully charged battery) when the Kermersino box was connected, yet it worked with the box was disconnected and I didn't touch anything else (or charge the battery).

My guess is that this unit is sensitive to voltage. It also (according to the seller) has fault protection, and he thought it kept entering "safe mode". So that may have compounded the issue.... because at one point I ran the car for a while thinking that would help (and it would have charged the battery too) but perhaps it was still in "safe mode". I'm told it can take the unit 30 min to exit safe mode.

TL;DR: Make sure your battery is fully charger (reading 12.6V) before running around chasing other things like I did.

So a new AGM battery is in the car, which is in much better condition than the old, and I have CarPlay. Yay.

ORGINAL POST BELOW:

Add me to the "can't get this to work" group. I received the newer (single box) unit. There must be a new LVDS harness, because the way the connections are setup there is 100% only one way to install.

Upon start up I get a blank screen. Holding down the "hang up" button on the steering wheel control will boot to the unit's home screen. I can run android auto.

However, I am unable to get to the Mercedes COMMAND system AT ALL. No audio either.

Remove the box, and everything works fine again. Quite frustrating.

I'm assuming you guys can switch between the stock COMMAND and the Kremersino unit on the fly? I still want COMMAND for the memory card and HD functions, as well as tuning FM stations.

Oddly when looking at the firmware on this thing it says the MCU is for a filename that lists and NGT4.5 unit.... not a 4.0. Yet all the connections are clearly for a 4.0 unit.

I've spent 5 hours with this.

Here's a video:

Last edited by IamAmused; 12-28-2021 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Got it working
Old 12-22-2021, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E350
This is already a good step ahead of what I was able to achieve with the unit. I couldn't see either the command or the unit's screen. Reach out to kremersino and see if they have found a solution to this problem. They ended up sending me a new unit a month ago, but I haven't had the chance to install it yet because I'm travelling for work. I'll keep you updated when I install the new unit.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:08 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by w212forlife
This is already a good step ahead of what I was able to achieve with the unit. I couldn't see either the command or the unit's screen. Reach out to kremersino and see if they have found a solution to this problem. They ended up sending me a new unit a month ago, but I haven't had the chance to install it yet because I'm travelling for work. I'll keep you updated when I install the new unit.
They told me to ground the original LSVD cable (on the metal part) to the Head Unit. I did this with an alligator clip wire and still nothing.

For awhile I couldn't even get the CarPlay screen back up. I unplugged the box for about 30 min, and now the CarPlay screen is back (with long press) but still no command.

So far they seem fairly responsive. Will let folks know the outcome.

EDIT: SEE MY EDIT ABOVE, FIXED THE ISSUE.

Last edited by IamAmused; 12-28-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by IamAmused
They told me to ground the original LSVD cable (on the metal part) to the Head Unit. I did this with an alligator clip wire and still nothing.

For awhile I couldn't even get the CarPlay screen back up. I unplugged the box for about 30 min, and now the CarPlay screen is back (with long press) but still no command.

So far they seem fairly responsive. Will let folks know the outcome.

EDIT: SEE MY EDIT ABOVE, FIXED THE ISSUE.
THank you for the update, did you keep the cable grounded after you changed the battery for it to work or did it work without the modification ?
I will instal the new unit I received tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes..
Old 12-30-2021, 09:29 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by w212forlife
THank you for the update, did you keep the cable grounded after you changed the battery for it to work or did it work without the modification ?
I will instal the new unit I received tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes..
I did not keep it grounded. Seemed fine without it.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:19 AM

C63 W204, E63s W212
Hi, is anyone having a problem / solution to front OE camera not displaying when shifting from Reverse to Drive for X seconds?
I've seen an option in kremersino setup, to show front camera for some time, but it only displays black screen (seems would work for aftermarket only).
Old 01-05-2022, 10:19 PM

Mercedes
Hi. Do you have schematic wiring diagram for lvds black cable?

This is a DIY Installation thread that covers how to install wireless Apple CarPlay for Comand unit NTG4.0 in most Mercedes-Benz models from 2009-2011. This thread is based and inspired off of @cadetdrivr 's amazing install thread for NTG4.5/4.7 found here.

The device I used is a Kremersino Wireless CarPlay box that merges the videos cables of the factory Comand unit and allows for a plug and play install, no splicing or cutting what so ever. The install is very clean and looks factory (retains factory resolution), you can switch easily between the CarPlay screen* and the factory Comand navigation screen.
*(As I keep referring to this unit as a CarPlay device, please note that it also supports Android Auto. I am all Apple products so I will refer to the screen as the CarPlay unit. Please also note that I have not tested Android Auto on my NTG4.0 unit.)*

I am not going to cover how to install the unit in-depth as @cadetdrivr has already made clear instructions on how to get started on the W212 interior found here. There are some differences, as his car is a W212R 2014+, and I will cover those differences here.

I am not much of a DIYer or a mechanic but I found this job to be somewhat easy with some help from a friend.

Job time - 3 to 4 hours
Experience level - none prior
Tools needed - Big towel, plastic pry bars, electrical tape, and TORX T20

(UPDATE 9/14/20 - NO NEED FOR MMI TO AUX) You WILL need the Mercedes MMI to Female AUX cable in the glovebox. If you have the MMI to Male cable, like I did, you will also need a 3.5mm female to female adapter for the sound to work. I searched everywhere and found mine at Guitar Center same day emergency. You can pick them up on Amazon as well.

Unit purchased - Wireless Apple CarPlay AndroidAuto Retrofit for Mercedes Benz C Class GLC CLA iSmart auto W204 W205 W203 W253 W117 SIRI Control (Must select NTG4.0 option before adding to cart)
My vehicle - 2010 W212 E350 with NTG4.0, Harman Kardon, and glovebox audio AUX (Mercedes Media Interface Cable)

Please make sure to identify what NTG unit you have before purchasing your CarPlay unit. Contact Kremersino if needed. WhatsApp +86 134 2516 3678 or Ali Express chat

This is what comes in the package:

Everything you will need to get CarPlay working in your Mercedes. (Source: @reject )

REMOVAL:
First, you will need to remove the center air vent strip, passenger footwell trim, and glovebox. Refer to this video when removing those items:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nrb...ture=emb_title

Some owners stated it was hard to find the last screws for the glovebox, You will need to pry off the side panel to the right of the glovebox (LHD USA) with the plastic pry bar. The glovebox is still fixed in place with all screws removed, so remember that for the reinstall, the glovebox should not move or be unstable even with all screws removed.

I could not figure out how to fully remove the MMI cable from the glovebox, so I left my glovebox in the passenger footwell. There is plenty of slack for the thick MMI cable to rest and the glovebox sat fine on the passenger floor. Feel free to disconnect the MMI cable if you know how to or leave it and do what I did. This is one of the differences from the W212R removal process.

Remove the two screws on the top of the Comand unit. You'll want to remove everything from the cup holders and close the lid. Place a big towel over the AC controls, Comand scroll wheel, Cup holders, and any other lower center trims. This is to protect your car while the Comand unit is pulled out.

INSTALLATION:
Follow this install video from Kremersino on how to install the CarPlay unit box and wires to the back of the Comand unit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6y...ture=emb_title

Make sure to transfer the orange Fiber-Optic cable to the new power harness, this is for your sound. It is very special (handle with care). 10 year old plus wires.
Plug everything in and test to see if the unit works before reinstalling. Make sure sound, controls, and all features work on both the factory Comand screen and the CarPlay screen.

IMPORTANT: LVDS CABLE
MAKE SURE THE LVDS CABLE GOES IN THE RIGHT WAY. There is an indent, or small marking that shows and that should be facing up. Do not install upside down. It will be a pain to remove from Comand unit. I have included a picture here to show which way it should be plugged in. There is this marking in the middle on one side only, you can't miss it.

See the little hump that the blue arrow is pointing to? Make sure that side is facing up. Plug in and it should be snug. (Source: Kremersino Install video)

RE INSTALLATION:

Run all of the cables to right side where you removed the glovebox. Unfortunately, our gloveboxes do not have a removable opening like the W212R gloveboxes (I checked and could not find anything. YMMV). So, I was unable to store the CarPlay unit on the top tray of my glovebox like @cadetdrivr . We will get back to this later.

Tuck all of the extra wires and cables behind the AC control unit. There is plenty of room for the big power harness and the small LVDS box. Slide the Comand unit back into place until it is flush. This may take a couple of tries before it become flush. Slide the Comand unit in and out unit it is flush.

Reinstall the glovebox and make sure all of the wires you pulled over are clear of the glovebox's path and it is set to the bottom corner (in between the bottom footwell trim (removed right now) and the glovebox. Near the OFF button on the AC controls.

At this point, your Comand unit should be reinstalled, the glovebox reinstalled, and the upper air vent long strip. Almost done.

(UPDATE 9/14/20 - NO NEED FOR MMI TO AUX) Run the Aux cable from the wires at the bottom to inside of the glovebox, very easy. This is how you will get your sound. Using the MMI cable in the glovebox. You will need the 3.5mm female to female adapter if your MMI to aux is male.

This is my 3.5mm female to female. Found at Guitar Center the same day as the install. In glovebox.

Reinstall the bottom footwell trim (three screws). Leave the CarPlay unit resting on top of the trim (on the insulation). Make sure the wifi antenna, and all other connections are plugged in. It is going to be harder to get the three screws in with the box sitting on top, but you can do it! This is a great way to store the box for the people who don't have access to put the unit in the glovebox. It can be easily acessed with only three torx 20 screws.

The unit will be good here. You can also turn on head and footwell airflow to blow some more cold air in that area near the unit but, it hasn't been an issue for me yet. (Some other owners were having overheating issues).

Run the USB cable to wherever you would like (get creative). You can drill into the ash try and hide it there, route it to the glovebox, or simply let it poke out of the footwell. Regardless, the cable needs to be easily accessible (for updating the unit, charging, and wired CarPlay / Android).

It should look something like this.

FINISHED:
Everything should be working now. Take a drink, pat yourself on the back, and make sure everything is working one last time.

It should look like this! YAY

If you are not getting sound through CarPlay, go back into the Comand screen and make sure you have selected AUX.

If you are still not getting sound, make sure you have activated AUX in engineering mode. Here is a video on how to do it. Your AUX may be already activated, everyone's will be different.

(UPDATE 10/14/20 - RE-ENABLE SDARS AND EXTERNAL AMP IN TGW PARAMETER MOST SETTINGS) Make sure to re-enable SDARS and External amp in the TGW Paramter MOST settings. This will ensure the sound is going to the speakers as well as your SAT radio and live traffic updates for the regular Comand unit screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpgEEdKRlU0

MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS:
This is a great unit. It really updates my 10 year old Mercedes. This is a great and cheaper alternative to the big android screen head unit upgrade. IMHO, this is better than those android screens. It retains factory look and the anti glare properties of the OEM screen. You can easily flip back and fourth with Comand and CarPlay. If you are thinking about getting it, go for it. It doesn't hurt and it is fully reversible.

This DIY thread was not possible without the endless support of @cadetdrivr !! Make sure to give him a shout! He spends loads of time troubleshooting and helping for the NTG4.5/4.7 owners. And I hope to do the same for the NTG4.0 owners along with some other members who also has this unit on the way.

I will constantly be updating and communicating on this thread. About software updates, new issues, and other comment about the unit. So far, so good. Kremersino has great support through WhatsApp with fast response times (+86 134 2516 3678). They offer software updates and a warranty similar to the owners with RoadTop and Joyeauto.

PLEASE NOTE:
I did NOT install the included microphone. I never use SIRI and that is the main use for the microphone. You can still answer calls through CarPlay and use the factory MB mic! All you need to do is go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > and SET to Bluetooth Headset. You can answer calls on CarPlay and when you hit Accept, it will route the call to the factory MB Bluetooth. Make sure you are connected to both MB Bluetooth and the CarPlay unit Bluetooth for this to work.

You may feel the need to install the included microphone (for SIRI only), follow the video installation and route it to where you wish.

OTHER THREADS TO READ:
I suggest checking out these other threads before purchasing or attempting to install the unit.

DIY: Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.5/4.7 by @cadetdrivr
Group Buy For A Wireless Joyeauto CarPlay/Android Auto Retrofit by @deeoh
Hi. Do you have schematic wiring diagram for lvds black cable you have marked in your picture? Or any idea how to connect ntg4 to external screen? Thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2022, 09:01 AM

W212
Hi all,
now I am partialy happy customer of android retrofit box. I have w212 from 2010, with Audio20 NTG4 system with MMI in glowbox. Box was delivered without AUX cable, also here is notice, that is no more important. But audio is not working for my. I also tried just USB key into usb port from box, but it not working. Aux settings from pictures are not valid for me, bacuse it is from command and my engineering menu not looks the same. Do you have an experience how to solve audio for my box?
Old 01-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Crevice
Hi all,
now I am partialy happy customer of android retrofit box. I have w212 from 2010, with Audio20 NTG4 system with MMI in glowbox. Box was delivered without AUX cable, also here is notice, that is no more important. But audio is not working for my. I also tried just USB key into usb port from box, but it not working. Aux settings from pictures are not valid for me, bacuse it is from command and my engineering menu not looks the same. Do you have an experience how to solve audio for my box?
You can sort this out very simple and cheap. All you need is a MMI aux in 3.5mm jack female or male adapter, or MMI aux in adapter with 3.5mm jack and USB if you want to play music from memory stick too
Old 01-11-2022, 12:20 PM

W212
Originally Posted by Dan Crăciun
You can sort this out very simple and cheap. All you need is a MMI aux in 3.5mm jack female or male adapter, or MMI aux in adapter with 3.5mm jack and USB if you want to play music from memory stick too
As I wrote, my box arrived without 3,5mm jack in main harmess. Saller wrote me, that must ru without it, but it not...
Old 01-11-2022, 12:46 PM

Mercedes
As I wrote, my box arrived without 3,5mm jack in main harmess. Saller wrote me, that must ru without it, but it not...
Your box must have any other type of audio out. Check if your box has rca audio output, if so, you can convert rca to 3.5mm with a cheap cable, then connect the 3.5 to your MMI
Old 01-11-2022, 01:03 PM

W212
no it has no any audio outputs, just rca for cams....I will post screenshot from manual...
Old 01-11-2022, 02:37 PM

W212
no it has no any audio outputs, just rca for cams....I will post screenshot from manual...

Old 01-15-2022, 07:26 PM

C 250 W204 2008
CarPlay Box For W204 C-Class 2008

Hello Everyone

I have a C-Class Model 2008 with Japanese COMAND setting (limited radio frequency and features) I think it is NTG 4.0
I found in Aliexpress some choices including CarPlay boxes, I don't know if it will work with my Mercedes
At the same time there are a lot of choices (brands) but no one clear enough to me to know if it will work

One of the choices with the best price I found : www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003733887582.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.22 4f20cd2R7x1J&algo_pvid=ed72b1e0-ff5b-43c9-b92a-ef4b03fe3352&algo_exp_id=ed72b1e0-ff5b-43c9-b92a-ef4b03fe3352-2&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000026976912741 %22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B831.49%3B-1%3BAED+61.85%40salePrice%3BAED%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Could you please help me on this

Best regards
Old 01-19-2022, 04:01 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Did you move the fiber optic cable from your old harness to the new one? It's in the video in the very first post. (I skipped this step too.)

Old 01-25-2022, 05:22 AM

W212 E300

Hello everyone!
Just installed Limcet Box (manual is the same as the previous post). But have strange problem. I have Comand NTG 4.0 with navigation and linguatronic. When I press "say" button in my wheel while using CarPlay, Siri answer to me, but linguatronic also answer to me at the same time. How can I disable original linguatronic?
Old 01-28-2022, 05:42 PM

w212 e250
CarPlay not working anymore

Hello,
I have a problem with my box from Kremersino… the Carplay function is not working anymore , it’s stuck in the screen that says “Star connecting Carplay” . I tried everything I could do : reset to factory settings , reboot the phone , connect via cable even tried with another phone … I just can’t make it work again.
Did you encounter similar problem and found a fix for it ?
Thank you ☺️

Old 02-16-2022, 02:51 AM

W212
Originally Posted by IamAmused
Did you move the fiber optic cable from your old harness to the new one? It's in the video in the very first post. (I skipped this step too.)
Yes, I did. Problem is now solved for me. Because I have Audio 20 with MMI and CD changer and not command, wiring for serial bus is different as for command units. So I just remake main harness and I sold to pins (connected to 6, 11 and 12} 3.5 mm audio jack as it was before. Then I just connect MMI with jack and sound is working now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Kremersino Wireless CarPlay for NTG4.0