W212 722.9 tcm loss communication, shift but rev only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w204 C200 CGI stage 1
W212 722.9 tcm loss communication, shift but rev only

Good day guys,

I have a w212 e300 with 722.9 tcm, the tcm would not be able to communicate when the engine is warmed up. The tcm will shift through p r n d but only revved the engine; it wont move. I cant even access the tcm egs module through my autel & xentry. After a few hours, the tcm will work again and able to be scanned.. i have my suspicion on the electric plate of the egs; as i have change it before; but usually the problem lies in the selector range part or the sensors.

The dtc that im reading:

ME - 1405 comm with tcm malfunction

TCM/EGS - several comm malfunction with me, ism, esp , steering, and other almost all modules

ISM - U010187 comm malf with tcm

instrument cluster - U010100 comm malf with tcm

ESP. - 474C00 No CAN message was received from ''Motor electronics''.
475500 No CAN message was received from ''Motor electronics''.

I have check the fuse, egs connector, all seem in good condition; maybe front sam ? There is no dtc in front and rear sam

have any of you guys encounter the same problem? Thanksss
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,377 Likes on 2,248 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
VIP BUS CHAOS on CAN-C

Originally Posted by hendy.yurinata
Good day guys,

I have a w212 e300 with 722.9 tcm, the tcm would not be able to communicate when the engine is warmed up. The tcm will shift through p r n d but only revved the engine; it wont move. I cant even access the tcm egs module through my autel & xentry. After a few hours, the tcm will work again and able to be scanned.. i have my suspicion on the electric plate of the egs; as i have change it before; but usually the problem lies in the selector range part or the sensors.

The dtc that im reading:

ME - 1405 comm with tcm malfunction

TCM/EGS - several comm malfunction with me, ism, esp , steering, and other almost all modules

ISM - U010187 comm malf with tcm

instrument cluster - U010100 comm malf with tcm

ESP. - 474C00 No CAN message was received from ''Motor electronics''.
475500 No CAN message was received from ''Motor electronics''.

I have check the fuse, egs connector, all seem in good condition; maybe front sam ? There is no dtc in front and rear sam

have any of you guys encounter the same problem? Thanksss
Good job with your perfect survey

You may be in luck with an ok tranny and problem external from tranny!
Your TCU/VGS tranny is stuck because of a CAN-C issue prevents COM's controlling it.

Finding what module is disrupting your bus may take a long time... Instead you can use test shortcuts to speed things up.

In your case:
No1: ISM is PRND shifter : WET Connector??
No2: ESP Wheel speed: reseat connector gently
No3: SCM Steering module

ECU+TCU are assumed to good modules until proven otherwise.

> Todo Test List:
unplug ISM and scan test how other module respond to this being off the bus.

Does this clear other faults (besides ignore the fresh faults created by missing ISM).

You want to see the COM Faults disappear!
Ignore other faults until you identify troublemaker.

if ISM no go put it back then same test with ESP.

Needless to say don't drive without major modules and clear faults + reboot chassis + scan faults one last time to see good bus condition.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-19-2024 at 01:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaliBenzDriver:
Aussie_E350_Wag (06-22-2024), juanmor40 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 02:09 AM

w204 C200 CGI stage 1
Hi sir,
thank you so much for the reply
Im in the progress of pulling out the body valve to check on my electric plate connector already, maybe there is a broken joint on the main connector to the plate

once i find no problem; ill put it back see if i can do diagnostic with ism disconnected;

but just wondering, would a communication problem happens only when the tcm gets hotter? (about 2-3km in, half an hour est driving), and able to communicated back on cold start or when we wait the car to be off for est 1-2 hours depending on how hot it was.

several years ago, I had a communication problem on ML350, all pointing comm malfunction on each other and most of them on ISM and TCM comm malf, turn out it was the EZS/EIS module malfunction, but the car was not able to start at all;

Aussie_E350_Wag (06-22-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

collection of solderless modules for ya...

Hi sir,
thank you so much for the reply
Im in the progress of pulling out the body valve to check on my electric plate connector already, maybe there is a broken joint on the main connector to the plate

once i find no problem; ill put it back see if i can do diagnostic with ism disconnected;

but just wondering, would a communication problem happens only when the tcm gets hotter? (about 2-3km in, half an hour est driving), and able to communicated back on cold start or when we wait the car to be off for est 1-2 hours depending on how hot it was.

several years ago, I had a communication problem on ML350, all pointing comm malfunction on each other and most of them on ISM and TCM comm malf, turn out it was the EZS/EIS module malfunction, but the car was not able to start at all;
Very interesting!!!
Everyone re-read the reply just above... all the bad modules caught acting up 👍

I think the reason why cold chassis gives you a short brake is because the VIP modules got freshly restarted with a clean slate.

> SOFT-CRASHED CAN Modules:
I have observed the same phenomenon with faults arriving only after enough driving time to trigger faults. I attribute this to a sort of "buffer over-run" in the gateway caused by abnormal packet conditions COM's.
That's when "PARK + RESTART" saves the evening on the way home!

I recently evidenced that solderless ESP was screwing my TCU shift timings.

While you are elbow deep in your tranny: clean the clutch particulate from all your solenoid screens.

If you are up for it, you can fix your solderless ISM better than new while working this topic. Also silicone RTV ISM connector inside and out. No open path necessary for water egress

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-20-2024 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,406 Likes on 2,582 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Hen,

Some question if I may :
01. Is this M272 engine ?
02. How hot is the actual tranny oil you see in Xentry when you say the TCM is acting up when hot ?
03. Is this car standard or software modified ECM / Tranny wise ?
04. Is the exhaust system standard ?
05A. On the data card, does this car have the A89 option ?
05B. Which tranny fluid is the car using ? The red or blue ?

Old 06-22-2024, 12:43 AM

w204 C200 CGI stage 1
haloo,
1. yes its m272
2. it happens several time as early as around 60C to almost 80C; it never reach full operating temp ;
3. ECM & tranny are both bone stock; very low kilometer (20k km); though it had tranny oil leaking into the coolant system (atf cooler inside the radiator leaking);
4. exhaust system stock
5A. where do i find this info sir?
5B. It was blue; and i used the same benz fluid to top up;
Old 06-22-2024, 12:45 AM

w204 C200 CGI stage 1
Yes sir, I'm cleaning the whole bodyvalve assy might as well;

the solder point of the ESP unit; are you talking about the esp abs module sir?
Old 06-22-2024, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes sir, I'm cleaning the whole tranny valve body assy, might as well;

the solder point of the ESP unit:
are you talking about the esp abs module sir?
yes indeed ESP is the new ABS name.

**BEFORE** opening anything, be sure to troubleshoot faults.
Old 06-22-2024, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haloo,
1. yes its m272
2. it happens several time as early as around 60C to almost 80C; it never reach full operating temp ;
3. ECM & tranny are both bone stock; very low kilometer (20k km); though it had tranny oil leaking into the coolant system (atf cooler inside the radiator leaking);
4. exhaust system stock

Call me Surya ajah, not Sir. Perhaps Om its OK, I bet I am older than you ..
Get the car VIN number and use this link to generate the data card https://www.lastvin.com/

Here is why I am asking No 5A and 5B

Only when the 722.9 is the Plus model, aka newer generation, we can use the Blue fluid which is of lower viscosity. The Code A89 is the key information.
If there is no A89 in data card, the tranny is then the older generation and must use red one.
Use FUCH, they are the best you can find in Indo and is the official supplier for MB blue tranny fluid during the development of the newer 722.9Plus. German to German company...LOL
Red one MB-APPROVAL 236.14http://www.fuchs.com/sea/id/produk-2...ITAN-ATF-4134/
Blue one MB-APPROVAL 236.15 https://www.fuchs.com/sea/id/produk-...N-ATF-7134-FE/

I seen some people made this mistake in Indonesia, on the tranny fluid of choice. People always assume newer is better.
In the 722.9 case, we can not use the wrong fluid because each fluid is suitable only for designated tranny model only.

Mercedes tranny fluid is quite confusing
https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/231.0

The one we need for MB Indonesia passenger cars, only there 2 types for now if 5 speed and 7 speed version. 9 Speed is another type of oil.
https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/231.1

Why I asked on the exhaust system and engine type is because, if on my E400 2014 4 door, the right side exhaust CAT is quite close to a bunch of wires for the tranny.
M272 is V6, mine is also a V6 M276 and we both 722.9 and RHD car. So I guess the wiring run would be similar.
Read here : https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...rotection.html

Just in case the car has been worked on by other people and somehow the wires are not routed back properly.... please inspect them.
The wire assy on mine actually have heat shield from MB, but I the CAT can hit 900+ celcius if I run them hard and if I then get into creeping bumper to bumper
traffic jam, I am worried of the radiant heat.

You have access to Xentry, that means you have access to the WIS/EPC too right ?
You can find wiring diagram at the WIS.

As Cali pointed out, one of the big culprit is the CAN BUS data exchange from TCM to its network, if you have those kind of DTC-s.

Give me the car VIN, so I can find the suitable wiring diagram for it.
Always always on a Mercedes, get the VIN and create the data card and only then you go find its wiring diagram because the data card contains all the option code.

Later.....

Old 06-22-2024, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haloo,
1. yes its m272
4. exhaust system stock
Ouch.... I hate radiator sharing with tranny cooler. The damn rubber seals inside the radiator assy but for the tranny small cooler will be the one failed and we can't inspect them at all.
The oldest E300 W212 is of 2009. So 15 years only if today. Damn !!!
I guess 13-14 years is as far as one should go, above this buy a new radiator..... no choice and MB Indonesia will whack you for US$650 approx....where as in USA it is usually under US$250 genuine.
I advised and have ordered genuine one for my friend W204 C200 of 2010 with M271.8 turbo, its not leaking yet the ATF cooler but I am not taking chances. 2 months arrival...insane waiting period.

Last edited by S-Prihadi; 06-22-2024 at 04:11 AM.
CaliBenzDriver (06-22-2024)