E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Dashboard Rattle - can't find source

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 03:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
C180 Coupe (C205)=> C 300 Coupe (C205)=> E350E AMG (W213) => ??
Dashboard Rattle - can't find source

I have a weird constant rattling noise from somewhere in the top of the dashboard. It seems physical because it responds to road conditions / bumps, and speed.

If I sit in the dirver seat, it seems to come from directly in front of me. If I sit also in the passengers seat, it seems to also come from in front of me.

I cannot find the source of the rattle. I have tried pressing everywhere on the dashboard to try and see if it stops, It's like it comes from inside the dashboard. It sounds like plastic collision.

Anyone can help me find it or know about this issue?

UPDATE: FIXED => https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...e-decline.html

Last edited by MBOCD; 06-21-2021 at 03:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
google the board and you will find at least one thread addressing the problem
Old 06-01-2021, 10:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E63S (Sedan)
My guess is the metal mesh cover on top of the dash. I took it off and added some felt tape in various places to make it more snug. This solved the problem in my E63. I also noticed this problem in an E220 that I rented a couple of years back in Europe. It drove me crazy and I ended up removing it and driving the car around the entire time without the cover.

Also, in hunting rattles, the direction it seems to come from is not always right as sound reverberates around. Another rattling source in mine was the overhead console. There I also added some felt to make it more snug. After these 2 fixes, the car is rattle free (for now).
Old 06-05-2021, 12:13 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
I had the same issue with our CLS450 last year. It was determined that the plastic trim piece below the Heads Up Display was damaged. It was changed and no more issue.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
04 e200k
Send a record of the rattle. Mine came from the strut mount and the noise was transferred through the reinforcement bar into the cabin, sounded really like a dashboard problem. Other guy on facebook had a problem with the heat exchanger under the dash - sounded the same.
The following users liked this post:
Keith59 (03-19-2023)
Old 06-17-2021, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class 220 d
Smile

Originally Posted by driveX
Send a record of the rattle. Mine came from the strut mount and the noise was transferred through the reinforcement bar into the cabin, sounded really like a dashboard problem. Other guy on facebook had a problem with the heat exchanger under the dash - sounded the same.
This exactly what happened to mine thought it was the sunroof or Dashboard, had it for months and months, finally I complained to Mercedes, and the local dealership traced it to a strut mount. Its now gone and I am delighted.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:23 AM

GLB 250
Smile GLB Dashboard noise

Hi, I was so happy to see what you posted here. I came on this site because I'm experiencing the same. I've had the noise in my GLB 250 since I purchased the car. I've recorded the sound for the dealer. I've been living with the noise for 3 years. When I first brought the car back in I was told the windshield wiper mechanism was loose. They tightened it and I was on my way only to experience the noise again. 3 years later after a long trip, highway driving, but at speeds at 70 -75 and no music to block out the sound, the rattle was deafening. I brought the car into a different dealership this time and was told it was the flashlight in the glove compartment that was rattling and causing the noise. I will go back again with your post including your pictures. Hoping to find some resolution after 3 years.
Old 07-16-2023, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 536 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Same here, I have more rattles than a toddler farm.

I plan to have someone else drive my car while I'm a passenger with a cardboard paper towel tube up to my ear to track down the sources, just haven't got around to it yet.

It sure would be nice to get rid of all the plastic squeaks and rattles!

The following users liked this post:
LMinn (07-17-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 07:27 PM

GLB 250
Good luck with cardboard tube. Such a shame. I love my car, but to have paid a high price to drive around with an annoying rattle is a real downer. I just recently took a business trip with a colleague. On the highway at 70 - 75 mph, with no music so we could hear the GPS system and talk, the rattle was loud and constant for the full 2.5 hour commute. Both ways. Looking for a new car now.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 300
The rattle I had in the E300 was coming from the plastic mesh cover of the dashboard speaker. You can gently un-clip it with a trim removal tool and you can add extra padding. The Mercedes dealer refused to even acknowledge that there was a noise to start with.