G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

What do you do with your new car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G400d
What do you do with your new car

Dear all, first time poster, and I hope this has not been answered in full somewhere else, in that case I apologies (I tried to use the search function). Anywho, I am finally picking up my new G-class (400d) in less than two weeks. 😊😊😊 And now trying to read up on what is good to do with a new car. I’m not putting on PPF or anything like that but wondering if I should should be putting on ceramic coating or anything like that. But then I was reading somewhere it was not necessary with Mercedes paint (mine will be Obsidian black). Want to take good care of my new baby, grateful for any advice so to not make any misstates. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2021, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Windshield protection is highly recommended. It’s not guaranteed but a few of us have had times where it saved the windshield.

Ceramic coating gives some protection on the surface but not to rock chips. It does make washing so much easier. I do both, but if I had to choose between PPF or ceramic I would do ceramic.

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 07-01-2021, 06:57 AM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
I also have Ceramic Pro lifetime coating on my G 63.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 760 Posts
G550
Train yourself to dutifully disable the Lane Keeping Assist and ECO Start/Stop systems (if your vehicle includes these) each time you start up your vehicle as both are truly annoying.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:50 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
1- xpel must
2 - cleaplex for windshield must
3- tint
4- turn off lane assist
5- turn on exhaust to “powerful”

6- ceramic coating a waste IMHO… spend money on xpel or do both if you can
Old 07-01-2021, 03:42 PM

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by spourreza
6- ceramic coating a waste IMHO… spend money on xpel or do both if you can
Can you elaborate further? I was planning on getting ceramic pro with the lifetime warranty and thought it was a good idea because it makes car washing much easier (and safer due to not spreading dust/dirt particles all over the surface), provides UV and bird dropping protection and also gives the car a nice gloss.

I was considering PPF as well but figured that while it does provide obvious protection, it still wont do anything against a rock chipping your hood at full speed on the highway or some bunghole smashing his door into the paint so seemed like overkill for the amount it costs and the very specific damage it protects from.
Would love to hear your experience with PPF as Im still debating.
Oh and I was definitely going to get some sort of extra insurance for the windshield either from MB or my provider as Ive head they get chipped very easily due to being at a 90 degree angle lol.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
Can you elaborate further? I was planning on getting ceramic pro with the lifetime warranty and thought it was a good idea because it makes car washing much easier (and safer due to not spreading dust/dirt particles all over the surface), provides UV and bird dropping protection and also gives the car a nice gloss.

I was considering PPF as well but figured that while it does provide obvious protection, it still wont do anything against a rock chipping your hood at full speed on the highway or some bunghole smashing his door into the paint so seemed like overkill for the amount it costs and the very specific damage it protects from.
Oh and I was definitely going to get some sort of extra insurance for the windshield either from MB or my provider as Ive head they get chipped very easily due to being at a 90 degree angle lol.
I have PPF on my entire Porsche GT3. I have Ceramic Pro Lifetime coating on my G 63. I think the cost to cover the G with PPF would be very expensive. I use Car Pro Reload spray every time after I wash and dry both vehicles. I have a Master Blaster to dry both vehicles off instead of using drying towels. I disagree that Ceramic coating is a waste of money.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
PPF helps basically with rock chips to a degree (some really fast/hard impacts can tear the PPF) and surface scrapes. There's an old image years ago of a BMW 5 series that was side swiped, leaving the white paint from the other car on the bumper corner. The PPF took all the damage and when the PPF was removed the paint under it was fine.

Ceramic coatings help maintain the car as one does not need to wax it ever, and it is easier to clean and has this incredible gloss afterwards. I think it is worth it, but if you are one who fully details and waxes your vehicles often you could potentially forgo it.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hodog16
PPF helps basically with rock chips to a degree (some really fast/hard impacts can tear the PPF) and surface scrapes. There's an old image years ago of a BMW 5 series that was side swiped, leaving the white paint from the other car on the bumper corner. The PPF took all the damage and when the PPF was removed the paint under it was fine.

Ceramic coatings help maintain the car as one does not need to wax it ever, and it is easier to clean and has this incredible gloss afterwards. I think it is worth it, but if you are one who fully details and waxes your vehicles often you could potentially forgo it.
In the case of matte paint, it seems PPF is beneficial but ceramic coating is not since matte doesn't need the gloss nor any waxing
Old 07-01-2021, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by LapTimes
In the case of matte paint, it seems PPF is beneficial but ceramic coating is not since matte doesn't need the gloss nor any waxing
With matte paint, PPF is a necessity.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
My list of upgrades: (2019 G550)
1. New tires - all-terain mountain/snowflake rated for year-round use
2. Matching spare tire
3. Locking lug bolts on wheels and spare
4. Front and rear dashcams
5. Weathertech floor & cargo mats
6. Weathertech windshield sunscreen
7. Filing cabinet for safety recall notices
Old 07-02-2021, 09:58 AM

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by streborx
My list of upgrades: (2019 G550)
1. New tires - all-terain mountain/snowflake rated for year-round use
2. Matching spare tire
3. Locking lug bolts on wheels and spare
4. Front and rear dashcams
5. Weathertech floor & cargo mats
6. Weathertech windshield sunscreen
7. Filing cabinet for safety recall notices
IMHO the OEM all weather mats are far superior to the Weathertech ones. I only wish they made an OEM cargo mat... For that I did end up getting the Weathertech one. What dashcams are you using? And how did you handle the wiring?
Old 07-02-2021, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by tonygwagon
IMHO the OEM all weather mats are far superior to the Weathertech ones. I only wish they made an OEM cargo mat... For that I did end up getting the Weathertech one. What dashcams are you using? And how did you handle the wiring?
I ordered MB OE all-weather mats, but didn't care for the 3-piece arrangement in the 2nd row. I prefer the WeatherTech's fuller coverage, lip around the edge and my shoes don't stick to them (sold the OEs on ebay as soon as the Weathertechs arrived). I've been using Weathertechs for as long as I can remember, and they last forever. I'm not crazy about the Weathertech windshield sunscreen, but it's custom cut and is reversible (silver - reflective for summer / black - absorptive in winter). Finding an aftermarket screen at an auto store for the G or a Jeep is impossible.
The dashcam I installed is a Z-Edge Z3D. With 128GB memory card, it records full motion video for 12 hours from both cameras. It records in *.mp4 format, and there's a PC playback app that adds GPS and other details to the recordings. I detailed the installation in an earlier post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...-detector.html
Old 07-02-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by tonygwagon
I have an OEM cargo mat that I ordered from my dealerships parts department.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
There are two types of OEM cargo mats - one with a raised lip and a Mercedes logo in the middle and the other is flat without much of a lip but with corners that can be cut to allow access for the D-loop rings with a G logo in the middle.

I haven't gone with a filing system yet for recalls as there's only been 1. My 2018 Odyssey had 5 before I finally traded it in, hopefully the G doesn't reach that total.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:35 PM

There are two types of OEM cargo mats - one with a raised lip and a Mercedes logo in the middle and the other is flat without much of a lip but with corners that can be cut to allow access for the D-loop rings with a G logo in the middle.

I haven't gone with a filing system yet for recalls as there's only been 1. My 2018 Odyssey had 5 before I finally traded it in, hopefully the G doesn't reach that total.

This is what I have.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:23 PM

mclaren 720s

I have ceramic coating on my McLaren… i am not confident it lasts that long… the water running off was much more obvious a year ago vs today… I know a lot of detailers and no one is convinced its as useful as the manufacturer states it is… i am just not sold on it… on the other hand, i fully wrapped the Mac and it has saved me just like the clearplex for windshield…

For the G, given its box shape, just ppf the entire front, hood, pillars, headlights, mirrors… its about 2.5k to do and well worth it. Clearplex is 700. its very important to protect the headlights and even turn signals. your dont need to wrap entire car.
The following users liked this post:
LapTimes (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 07:29 PM

I have ceramic coating on my McLaren… i am not confident it lasts that long… the water running off was much more obvious a year ago vs today… I know a lot of detailers and no one is convinced its as useful as the manufacturer states it is… i am just not sold on it… on the other hand, i fully wrapped the Mac and it has saved me just like the clearplex for windshield…

For the G, given its box shape, just ppf the entire front, hood, pillars, headlights, mirrors… its about 2.5k to do and well worth it. Clearplex is 700. its very important to protect the headlights and even turn signals. your dont need to wrap entire car.
I use Car Pro reload after I wash and dry my vehicles. Without doing so, I agree, the ceramic coating won’t last. My Porsche GT3 has PPF on the entire vehicle.
spourreza (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Not all ceramic coating is made equal. Opticoat Pro Plus and GTechniq crystal serum are "permanent" or at least 7+ years (which for most of us will cover the time we keep these vehicles). Other ceramic coatings last 1-2 years and have to be reapplied.

I had Opticoat Pro Plus on my old Rover and it lasted through the 5 years I had it.
LapTimes (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 08:21 PM

I have Ceramic Pro lifetime coating on my G. I still use Car Pro reload spray each time after washing and drying my vehicles. The detailer said to use it once a month. I agree, not all Ceramic coatings are the same.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:52 AM

mclaren 720s
Not all ceramic coating is made equal. Opticoat Pro Plus and GTechniq crystal serum are "permanent" or at least 7+ years (which for most of us will cover the time we keep these vehicles). Other ceramic coatings last 1-2 years and have to be reapplied.

I had Opticoat Pro Plus on my old Rover and it lasted through the 5 years I had it.
i had Ceramic Pro lifetime on my McLaren… i dont believe it last 7 years… no way. as mentioned, the washes feel different after 1.5 years of having it done. as also mentioned, either wrap and do ceramic or just wrap… i wouldnt do ceramic coating on its own… especially if you are dealing with harsh winters like east coast.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
CLK 55 AMG 2005 and CLK 63 AMG cab.2007 - 2009 EVO - 2013 ML63 AMG - 2018 G63 AMG
i had Ceramic Pro lifetime on my McLaren… i dont believe it last 7 years… no way. as mentioned, the washes feel different after 1.5 years of having it done. as also mentioned, either wrap and do ceramic or just wrap… i wouldnt do ceramic coating on its own… especially if you are dealing with harsh winters like east coast.
i did PPF and Xpel Fusion plus pro ceramic on my G and the shop that did it told me i have to come back every year
to do touch up for the 5 year ceramic pro warranty has it fades with time...
Old 07-03-2021, 11:28 AM

mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by FatTony001
i did PPF and Xpel Fusion plus pro ceramic on my G and the shop that did it told me i have to come back every year
to do touch up for the 5 year ceramic pro warranty has it fades with time...
yup, that was my point
Old 07-03-2021, 12:53 PM

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300

Fair enough. Like I said Im still on the fence but you're doing a pretty good job of having me lean towards PPF now. How is it with yellowing or peeling? Also I guess it depends on the detailer that does the work, but Ive been told that I dont want them pulling the panels apart to apply it?
Lastly, any idea on how much doing the entire G would cost and how often it needs to be re-applied?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-03-2021, 01:34 PM

mclaren 720s
Fair enough. Like I said Im still on the fence but you're doing a pretty good job of having me lean towards PPF now. How is it with yellowing or peeling? Also I guess it depends on the detailer that does the work, but Ive been told that I dont want them pulling the panels apart to apply it?
Lastly, any idea on how much doing the entire G would cost and how often it needs to be re-applied?
Thanks in advance for your help!
6k for entire car. dont think that’s worth it. low riding, aerodynamic car… its worth it.

doesnt yellow… suntech or xpel good. go to website and do a search on installers near you. also follow xpel on instagram… very cool videos.

the only time i changed a piece was with damage… they didnt take my panels apart… it will show lines (request that they dont take things apart) but i would rather see line’s versus misaligned parts that could become loose upon the installer reattaching etc… dont trust these installers to take parts off a handmade car!
3.Pointed.Czar (07-03-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you do with your new car