G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Hosed on G550 order (Any help for somewhere else)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 07:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG GT
Unhappy Hosed on G550 order (Any help for somewhere else)

Well, big shocker, just got word my "order" for the 2021 G550 magically is not happening (or isn't possible) anymore through the dealership. I had it at MSRP with no mark up, so I'm guessing they simply gave it away to someone paying on it. With that being said, if ANYONE has a lead on dealerships willing to put in an order for MSRP (and up to $10k mark up if necessary) for a G550, please let me know. Would definitely appreciate it. Location not important as I am happy to pay for transport once it arrives. I am one of the few not looking for a G63. I actually prefer/want the G550. I'm patient, so not expecting my order to be delivered in the next 3-5 months. Just hoping to get a legit order placed and get into the SUV I want (I'm moving from a sports car due to a change in life circumstances).

Thanks to anyone that can help or has any leads!
Old 08-06-2021, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Did you have a sales order placed for a specific build with a deposit paid to the dealer?
Old 08-06-2021, 08:47 PM

AMG GT
Originally Posted by streborx
Did you have a sales order placed for a specific build with a deposit paid to the dealer?
Yep...and now I'm dealing with the legalities of that nonsense as well. Money was refunded but that's not good enough.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by KWUYOTE3
Yep...and now I'm dealing with the legalities of that nonsense as well. Money was refunded but that's not good enough.
Unless the sales order has fine print on its backside that entitles the dealer to unilaterally cancel the order without cause and return your deposit, the dealer is in breach of contract. Have your attorney call the dealer's GM, threaten to sue and file a complaint with your state's AG. Even if you don't want to patronize this dealership with your business, I'd pursue legal action just to be vindictive.
The following users liked this post:
KWUYOTE3 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Agree with above. Hell hath no fury like a G buyer scorned!

In reality though there is no reason for that dealer to cancel your order and refund except that you got it for MSRP. Allocations are down but in that instance you should be kept in line and just have to wait longer, not start over from scratch.

Where are you located? That can help too.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I reviewed the fine print on the reverse side of my sales order. Laws will vary state to state, but generally a sales contract will adhere to principles of the universal commercial code, and be very similar no matter the venue. The terms and conditions on my sales order seem a bit biased in the dealer's favor, but nowhere therein is there a provision for the dealer's unilateral order cancellation without cause. The sales order does stipulate arbitration rather than court action as does yours probably, but despite this, circumstances still seem to be in your favor. Consult an attorney and initiate action without delay.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Well, big shocker, just got word my "order" for the 2021 G550 magically is not happening (or isn't possible) anymore through the dealership. I had it at MSRP with no mark up, so I'm guessing they simply gave it away to someone paying on it. With that being said, if ANYONE has a lead on dealerships willing to put in an order for MSRP (and up to $10k mark up if necessary) for a G550, please let me know. Would definitely appreciate it. Location not important as I am happy to pay for transport once it arrives. I am one of the few not looking for a G63. I actually prefer/want the G550. I'm patient, so not expecting my order to be delivered in the next 3-5 months. Just hoping to get a legit order placed and get into the SUV I want (I'm moving from a sports car due to a change in life circumstances).

What was the exact reason given?
Also, was your order just in the order bank or did you have a PO #?
Old 08-07-2021, 04:55 PM

AMG GT
Gents/Ladies, no worries. I am handling the legal ramifications of this nonsense. It will be handled accordingly. But that doesn't change me currently being out of a build order! I really need to find something to get into. Itching for a new G550!
PlayersClubWheels (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Gents/Ladies, no worries. I am handling the legal ramifications of this nonsense. It will be handled accordingly. But that doesn't change me currently being out of a build order! I really need to find something to get into. Itching for a new G550!
Ask your attorney if under the circumstances (e.g., that G-Wagons are in limited supply and that your order specified a custom configuration) you can sue for specific performance. This means that the dealer has to provide you with what the contract specified, and not just some compensation or alternate vehicle of comparable value.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If your a lawyer you would know you can't ask for specific performance when you have an adequate remedy at law (specific performance is an equitable remedy) and he can get damages to make him whole - assuming accuracy. If you are not a lawyer you should not give legal advice.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by lenk
If your a lawyer you would know you can't ask for specific performance when you have an adequate remedy at law (specific performance is an equitable remedy) and he can get damages to make him whole - assuming accuracy. If you are not a lawyer you should not give legal advice.
I am not giving legal advice - I am suggesting that legal advice be sought.
You cannot read nor write coherently and my advice to you is to cease doing both.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550
Thumbs down Also hosed on a G 550 order...Helpful comments please...

Looking for specific contacts to help me with the legalities of being hosed by the dealer...

Signed PO for G550 with paid deposit. This was thru dealer known (and confirming at time of order) that there is no markup over MSRP. Vehicle just came in and now dealer wants a premium since policy has changed in the last year since it was ordered.

I know, you pragmatic wealthy folks will say just pay it if you want your G wagon. Will cost more to hire a lawyer and the damages are not clear. And I may do this since I know I will not get the vehicle otherwise.

But I am steaming since this is not the way I conduct business. To me, this is a clear breech of contract. This is not honorable. This is a classic New York screw job. This is principle more than the money.

How is the original poster proceeding?

Any attys reading this, I will gladly pay the requested premium to you instead if you can get me satisfaction.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by thomasjo
Looking for specific contacts to help me with the legalities of being hosed by the dealer...

Signed PO for G550 with paid deposit. This was thru dealer known (and confirming at time of order) that there is no markup over MSRP. Vehicle just came in and now dealer wants a premium since policy has changed in the last year since it was ordered.

I know, you pragmatic wealthy folks will say just pay it if you want your G wagon. Will cost more to hire a lawyer and the damages are not clear. And I may do this since I know I will not get the vehicle otherwise.

But I am steaming since this is not the way I conduct business. To me, this is a clear breech of contract. This is not honorable. This is a classic New York screw job. This is principle more than the money.

How is the original poster proceeding?

Any attys reading this, I will gladly pay the requested premium to you instead if you can get me satisfaction.
Clearly this is the worst case scenario with news of V8s, including Gs, on production hold for MY2022. Other forum posts indicate dealers are now asking $100K+ ADMs for the special edition G63s. Your dealer may be hoping you walk away so he can get an even higher ADM from some walk-in customer (and this will take him less than 48 hours). If your dealer is asking $20K or so, and you can afford it, and you really want the G, in your place I'd bite my tongue and pay it (but not patronize that dealer ever again). You can retain an attorney and threaten legal action, but the dealer might sell the vehicle out from under you, and then what do you do? Yeah, this sucks -- but the market prices have changed, and MSRP + $20K is reality -- and is a bargain given current circumstances. If the ADM is outrageous -- $50K+-- I'd walk away.

Last edited by streborx; 08-21-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Agree breach of contract and I would be steamed too. You have a deposit down so the dealer shouldn't sell it from under you until you tell them your decision, provided its in a timely manner. Do you have it in writing that it's at MSRP or was it only a verbal agreement? If it's not in writing, I don't know if you have a case.

If you have "MSRP" written on your deposit receipt, then you may want to get a lawyer ASAP so you don't lose the vehicle.

I guess also it depends on what the ADM is to know if it's worth all this trouble.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Keep in mind that nobody is selling vehicles at MSRP right now thanks to zero interest rates, $2 trillion in stimulus cash and supply line shortages. Call a Jeep dealer and ask the price/availability on a Rubicon. It's the worst possible time to be a buyer even if you have a high value in-demand trade-in to cushion the shock. The Carfax report I received 2 days ago on my 2019 G550 (10K miles) says its trade-in value is its MSRP + $20K. Believable? Who knows, but I'd be waving it at a dealer if I was buying a new vehicle right now. Will the dealer sell your truck out from under you if you balk? Well he's jacked up the price on you hasn't he? Car salesmen, politicians and career criminals all share a common psychological profile - hardly surprising. Any contract is worth only as much as you're wiling to spend to enforce it.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550
I get it

The posts indicate respondents have good market insights and practical opinions. Points are well taken. Thank you for responses to my crybaby post. I truly understand the situation and the options, but the fighter in me hates to shut up and take it. I am not sufficiently desensitized to injustice and abuse so as to keep quiet. Satisfaction does have a dollar value and for me it is something less than the premium requested.

I have found an attorney that will deal with this and I will **** away legal fees until I reach my limit or come to an agreement with the dealer.

At the time, other dealers would have placed my order at MSRP. There were other in stock vehicles I could’ve purchased at or near MSRP. To change the deal 10 months into the build timeline just ain’t right! Especially since I cannot find a replacement at this time anywhere near my order price.

Are there any dealers reading this that think there is a legitimate (ie legal) basis for ignoring a signed purchase agreement with the deposit paid for a specific build order?

Old 08-22-2021, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by thomasjo
The posts indicate respondents have good market insights and practical opinions. Points are well taken. Thank you for responses to my crybaby post. I truly understand the situation and the options, but the fighter in me hates to shut up and take it. I am not sufficiently desensitized to injustice and abuse so as to keep quiet. Satisfaction does have a dollar value and for me it is something less than the premium requested.

I have found an attorney that will deal with this and I will **** away legal fees until I reach my limit or come to an agreement with the dealer.

At the time, other dealers would have placed my order at MSRP. There were other in stock vehicles I could’ve purchased at or near MSRP. To change the deal 10 months into the build timeline just ain’t right! Especially since I cannot find a replacement at this time anywhere near my order price.

Are there any dealers reading this that think there is a legitimate (ie legal) basis for ignoring a signed purchase agreement with the deposit paid for a specific build order?
Points well taken. When I bought my G550 2 years ago, I found a dealer with an acceptable build on-lot. I negotiated via email (in writing) MSRP +$5K, and told him to write-up the sales order and I'd pick it up 2 days later. The next day he emails me and says "there's too much action on this vehicle and the price is now MSRP +$15K". I told him to go execute a physically challenging maneuver, and I found the the +$5K deal elsewhere. But times have changed with the V8 shutdown and no MY2022s forthcoming.
Good luck, and remember Jan Schlichtmann's (John Travolta) advice in A Civil Action -- "the guy who comes to his senses first, loses."
Old 01-02-2022, 04:34 PM
z32

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
01 MB E240 / 10 Infiniti EX / 15 Lexus LX 570

Most dealers use the same tactics to make as much as they can...As long as there's no VIN # in the contract, buyers are living in the dark. Same happened to me when trying to buy an Audi back in the late 90s.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
G63
Same thing happened to me
and countless others. Ultimately, I begrudgingly paid the ADM and bought the vehicle. The weeks leading up to the G’s arrival, there were 7 buyers willing to pay anywhere from $100k-$125k over MSRP. I contacted attorneys during this time and unfortunately there wasn’t much in my favor at the end of the day. Bottom line is nobody will pity the guy with a custom spec G63 order…trust me, not a single ounce of true sympathy.

The day I went to pick up the truck, 4 customers heard about the mere presence of this brand new G63 and there were offers made up to $125k over MSRP. One customer waited outside for my arrival and told me he’d pay me $25k to walk away as it’s his dream car etc etc.

At the end of the day I feel blessed to have a G63 I spec’d entirely and followed from allocation to production to delivery.
The Butcher (01-05-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 02:49 AM

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by Eply458
Same thing happened to me
and countless others. Ultimately, I begrudgingly paid the ADM and bought the vehicle. The weeks leading up to the G’s arrival, there were 7 buyers willing to pay anywhere from $100k-$125k over MSRP. I contacted attorneys during this time and unfortunately there wasn’t much in my favor at the end of the day. Bottom line is nobody will pity the guy with a custom spec G63 order…trust me, not a single ounce of true sympathy.

The day I went to pick up the truck, 4 customers heard about the mere presence of this brand new G63 and there were offers made up to $125k over MSRP. One customer waited outside for my arrival and told me he’d pay me $25k to walk away as it’s his dream car etc etc.

At the end of the day I feel blessed to have a G63 I spec’d entirely and followed from allocation to production to delivery.
I have a good dealer relationship with my dealer and got my 21 G63 for msrp. Not bragging, just thankful. But I had to wait near two days to get it when it arrived. It hit their website like all new pre sold's do and there were 4 offers on it in that short time span before I picked it up. One was willing to pay big money over msrp. Thankfully I got it and couldn't be happier.