GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL diesel: High miles = High $?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 AM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Case in point: https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...nne-turbo.html

You don't have to own a GL diesel to know they are slow off the line. Just drive one for a little while and you will experience the difference between the diesel and the gas engines. Now, tell me all the issues you have seen with the GL450 engine? The GL diesel engine issues are very common but not so with the GL gas engines.
We must not be reading the same forum if you are asking me for GL gas engine issues....
My opinion is not based on someone else' opinion (your link) but only on my personal experience.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by a2j
We must not be reading the same forum if you are asking me for GL gas engine issues....
My opinion is not based on someone else' opinion (your link) but only on my personal experience.
Not sure what you are reading but the 450 engine issues are nothing like the 350/320 engine issues. Most of the 450 problems are also shared with the 350/320 such as suspension, tranny, liftgate, power steering, and trim pieces peeling. The only issues I can find that are not shared with the 320/350 and the problems seem to be very rare: cam magnet issues. The cam plugs on the back of the engine are known to weep.

Like I said, I have around 160,000 miles and the issues I've had on the engine have been limited to a freak water pump failure and a cam plug weep. The cam plugs are cheap and very easy to diy.

Here are some seen on the 350/320. I excluded problems that occor in both the 320/350 and 450. This was a quick search.

Seized engine
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ec-seized.html

Fuel system corrosion
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...g-problem.html

GL diesel recall
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-included.html

GL350 engine issues
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...stretched.html

GL350 blown motor
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ty-denied.html

GL320 power loss
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...d-weather.html

GL320 - 22 limp home modes in 52,000 miles
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...anks-help.html

GL320 shutting down
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...own-again.html

GL320 intercooler hoses blowing off
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-problems.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...al-recall.html

Electrical meltdown on GL320
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-my-gl320.html

GL320 engine misfire
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...0-misfire.html

GL320 crankshaft sensor recall
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...or-recall.html
Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
For all those threads, I think the issues boil down to the oil cooler seals, and a limp mode being triggered by one or more random sensor failures.
Next after that is probably the EGR needing to be cleaned or replaced.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by N_Jay
For all those threads, I think the issues boil down to the oil cooler seals, and a limp mode being triggered by one or more random sensor failures.
Next after that is probably the EGR needing to be cleaned or replaced.
It's pretty serious when a blown seal grenades your engine and the oil level sensors are faulty so you get no warning. Whatever the causes, the engine is flawed. I'm all for saving on fuel costs and just about pulled the trigger on a new diesel but following the GL forum for the last seven years tells me the engine has too many problems with huge repair costs to be a vehicle to own after the warranty expires.

I call a duck a duck. My old CL was ludicrously expensive to maintain with far too many issues. I had to get rid of that one because of the problems. The car was fantastic to drive and very fast with over 600 HP but couldn't stay away from a mechanic for more than two or three months at a time. There are many very good qualities with the GL diesel but far too many engine problems. My brother has an older E class diesel and hasn't had any issues so I'm not sure why the GL has had the failures.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

It's pretty serious when a blown seal grenades your engine and the oil level sensors are faulty so you get no warning. Whatever the causes, the engine is flawed. I'm all for saving on fuel costs and just about pulled the trigger on a new diesel but following the GL forum for the last seven years tells me the engine has too many problems with huge repair costs to be a vehicle to own after the warranty expires.

I call a duck a duck. My old CL was ludicrously expensive to maintain with far too many issues. I had to get rid of that one because of the problems. The car was fantastic to drive and very fast with over 600 HP but couldn't stay away from a mechanic for more than two or three months at a time. There are many very good qualities with the GL diesel but far too many engine problems. My brother has an older E class diesel and hasn't had any issues so I'm not sure why the GL has had the failures.

It takes a lot of bad luck (or willful ignoring warnings) for a oil leak to not give you a warning before critical engine damage.

The crank sensor does not sound any different from the many posts I see of MB gas engines with crank and cam position sensor failures. I hardly call that a specific engine issue.

The old CDIs were not just a different engine, but an earlier set of emission related sensors and electronics. That same block would likely have the many of the same issues if updated. The only one that seems unique to the OM642 is the oil cooler seals.

There are a LOT of commercial people using that engine in Sprinters with great luck, so I doubt it is much worse than any competitive engine.

The fuel saving gets better with load, so around town it is a small savings but towing it is a BIG savings (as well as better performance).

There simply is no other vehicle that handles family friendly towing like the GL diesel.

Maybe you need to reevaluate what is behind your emotional reactions on this issue.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550

Diesel owners seem to be overly sensitive kind of like Obama supporters.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Diesel owners seem to be overly sensitive kind of like Obama supporters.
What would you recommend for a family friendly trailer tow vehicle?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
the 3 liter v6 cdi motor is one of the most stout engines in the automotive industry. the foundation is well developed and field problems are non-existent on the grand scheme of production numbers.

but... if not properly maintained it will fail faster than its gasoline counterparts. true story.

there is a reason why the diesel gl trucks hold their value and the gasoline ones are a depreciation black holes. the market is never wrong in that sense
Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM
a2j

Originally Posted by alx
the 3 liter v6 cdi motor is one of the most stout engines in the automotive industry. the foundation is well developed and field problems are non-existent on the grand scheme of production numbers.

but... if not properly maintained it will fail faster than its gasoline counterparts. true story.

there is a reason why the diesel gl trucks hold their value and the gasoline ones are a depreciation black holes. the market is never wrong in that sense

now try telling that to a person who never owned one and searching for threads with issues. And someone of those issues are because people don't know how to use/maintain their vehicles. I'm not saying GL320 does not have issues, it does just like GL450 does.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by a2j
now try telling that to a person who never owned one and searching for threads with issues. And someone of those issues are because people don't know how to use/maintain their vehicles. I'm not saying GL320 does not have issues, it does just like GL450 does.

I would guess that a higher percentage of diesel owners participate here than gas owners.
Also the boards reflect the problems far more then really happen because most people who don't have problems never show up here.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by a2j
I'm not saying GL320 does not have issues, it does just like GL450 does.
Like ALX said. It has a greater propensity for issues if not uber maintained. Either way, there are much more serious issues posted on this forum over the last 7 years with the diesel GL than the gas GL. Period. Take it for what you want.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 PM

GL550
Like ALX said. It has a greater propensity for issues if not uber maintained. Either way, there are much more serious issues posted on this forum over the last 7 years with the diesel GL than the gas GL. Period. Take it for what you want.
2008 550 only hitch repair.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How many miles?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

How many miles?
Does it matter?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does it matter?
Are you serious? Some people like to go around touting how reliable their cars are and they only drive 3,,000 miles a year. Obviously, they would not be a valid data point on reliability. I'm not saying this about Leo. That's why I'm asking.

I've seen it time and again with SL and CL owners touting they have had no ABC suspension issues and how reliable their cars are only to find out they have only driven the car 30,000 to 50,000 miles in the last ten years. You shouldn't have any issues with miles that low. I don't recall having any issues with my GL until I had over 50,000 miles. Since then I've replaced lots of components. Reliability and repair costs are directly correlated to time, mileage, and driving conditions.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 AM
a2j

How many miles?
Does it matter?
Are you serious? Some people like to go around touting how reliable their cars are and they only drive 3,,000 miles a year. Obviously, they would not be a valid data point on reliability. I'm not saying this about Leo. That's why I'm asking.

I've seen it time and again with SL and CL owners touting they have had no ABC suspension issues and how reliable their cars are only to find out they have only driven the car 30,000 to 50,000 miles in the last ten years. You shouldn't have any issues with miles that low. I don't recall having any issues with my GL until I had over 50,000 miles. Since then I've replaced lots of components. Reliability and repair costs are directly correlated to time, mileage, and driving conditions.
Millage comment was made for a hitch, and now you are talking about suspension? That is NOT the same. Millage on a hitch should make very little or no effect.
Talk about sensitive gas owner. Are you mad because you have to pay double for your fuel while some of us don't? Now you spreading rumors about how horrible GL diesel is while never actually owning one. Few people have "serious" issues with their because of poor maintenance, so what? What exactly does this have to do with MB, or diesel fuel, or anything else. 99% of the time its the owners and/or their trusted dealers/mechanics that out to be blamed. While suspension and hitch might be issues directly related to the manufacturer, engine isn't the issue. GL is not the only vehicle that has this engine. Lots of people drive them without any (major) issues. But obviously how would they know? You know better because you never had one.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've never owned a swan but I know one by reading about it, studying it, and seeing them in person. Do you really have to own a Yugo to know it is a piece of dung or talk about it being a crap car? Get it?

I ordered a Gl320 new from the factory in 2007 exactly how I wanted it. This was after multiple drives and time spent learning about the car. I was really excited about purchasing I the diesel. I had not even looked at the gas models because my brother had so much luck with his older E class diesel.

Fast forward a bit in the story, I needed it by the end of October 2007 since that's when the new owner of my CL 600 was taking posession. The GL320 was not going to be through manufacturing in time. I drove a GL 450 and fell in love with the engine. It was so much quicker and more responsive then the diesel that I couldn't pass it up.

I was a huge fan of the diesel even with the sluggish acceleration and expensive fuel. I knew that I would be better off with the higher mpgs that the diesel engine provided. However, looking back over the years and reading about the absolute horror stories many owners were having, I'm happy with my decision. The GL 450 engine has been rock steady for over 150k miles and should easily be able to see double or triple that mileage without too much fuss. I've replaced a water pump but other than that I've only done oil changes every 10,000 miles. It's been fantastic. The lack of maintenance cost on the gas engine have probably exceeded the saving in fuel had I purchased the diesel.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:10 AM
a2j

I was a huge fan of the diesel even with the sluggish acceleration and expensive fuel. I knew that I would be better off with the higher mpgs that the diesel engine provided. However, looking back over the years and reading about the absolute horror stories many owners were having, I'm happy with my decision. The GL 450 engine has been rock steady for over 150k miles and should easily be able to see double or triple that mileage without too much fuss. I've replaced a water pump but other than that I've only done oil changes every 10,000 miles. It's been fantastic. The lack of maintenance cost on the gas engine have probably exceeded the saving in fuel had I purchased the diesel.
Premium gas and diesel is the same price, at least where I live. Sluggish acceleration is just the matter of opinion. Your estimated savings based on the assumption that your GL will be one of the few "fortunate" ones to have issues. Personally, I save $800-$1000 per year, driving GL320 instead of GL450. This is calculated based on premium gas price being little lower than diesel (just in case) and best mpg scenario of a 450. I'm almost at 100k miles and spent $100 on engine repairs since I bought it. It just make no sense to me, getting a 450, or any other gas suv for that matter.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Nim

C 63 AMG (W204)
Tune Diesel

Did anyone has a tune on there Diesel and what is the performance gain.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NV Euro Motor
Did anyone has a tune on there Diesel and what is the performance gain.
The gains most respected tuners report is around 20 hp. Not much but I have read they greatly improve throttle response and standing start acceleration. Give Renntech a call or get the Kleeman KD box.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Nim

C 63 AMG (W204)
Fuel Additives

Hi i am seeing also a lot of carbon build up inside the intake manifold throttle plates , is there any way we can prevent this .
Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
NV

There is a product sold by lube moly that will clean the intake, you can either put it in fuel tank or actually put it in your fuel filter directly and run it straight. Look up lube moly treatment for vw tdi, those guys all use it with good results.

Wow..there certainly is some strong anti Diesel opinions here by folks who don't own one! Gotta love the internet, everything must be true you read!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

A hitch repair doe snot seem like a mileage related failure
Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A hitch repair doe snot seem like a mileage related failure
I was referring to the fact he had no other repairs on the car. The hitch has no bearing on anything. Forget about the hitch. Like I said above, some people tout how dependable their cars are but only drive 3,000 miles a year. Obviously, that is not very relavant in the discussion about dependability.

If he has 100,000 miles on his GL550 and has never replaced anything or fixed something other than the hitch, that's pretty remarkable. The GL's of all models are know to have airmatic strut failures, power steering issues, ETC, ETC. Understand?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by a2j
Premium gas and diesel is the same price, at least where I live. Sluggish acceleration is just the matter of opinion. Your estimated savings based on the assumption that your GL will be one of the few "fortunate" ones to have issues. Personally, I save $800-$1000 per year, driving GL320 instead of GL450. This is calculated based on premium gas price being little lower than diesel (just in case) and best mpg scenario of a 450. I'm almost at 100k miles and spent $100 on engine repairs since I bought it. It just make no sense to me, getting a 450, or any other gas suv for that matter.
It's not an opinion it's a fact. Look at the 0-60 of the gas vs the diesel. It's a huge difference. Before I got 22" wheels my average was 17.7 MPG. You can run regular gas in the GL if you don't drive like a maniac. Do the math on the difference between regular and the cost of Diesel. Over the last 8 years there has been a pretty dramatic difference in price. I think the average is around 22%+.

The diesel gets around 30% better fuel economy than the gas but you also have higher maintenance costs with much more frequent fuel filter change schedule and fuel contamination issues that can render the fuel system a brick. Even with the increased fuel savings, it is most likely negated by the maintenance requirements. If you have a fuel delivery issue on the diesel and you are out of warranty, the fuel savings will be negated and then some.

I posted examples of the repairs and many owners who ditched their diesels because of the excessive repair costs. Maybe it's a fuel supply issue maybe not. Either way, that cost is real and it is very expensive when it happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL diesel: High miles = High $?