Notices
GL Class (X166) 2013-Present

Anyone gone to 22 inch wheels?

 
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
Anyone gone to 22 inch wheels?

I'm wondering if anyone has gone for 22 inch aftermarket wheels and tires?

What offset and tire size?

How is the ride and noise?
cyclrder is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 PM
  #2  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL350 - Silver
Bump. I'm curious about this as well.
Day Dreaming is offline  
Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
cadetdrivr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA - Minnesota
Posts: 342
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
'14 GL350 & E350W4
There's at least one out there with 22"....

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-new-baby.html
cadetdrivr is offline  
Old 01-06-2015, 11:22 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 528
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
13 S550
I think the ride comfort would be very close with 22 and the original 21 amg wheels. There is a different between the 22 and the 20 I had. With the 22 x 10 et35 I think they look great and more flush. I do get a little rub doing u-turns with the 305-40 tires but it was the same on my 2011 gl with 285-45 tires. So far I think the toyo are identical to the nitto I had before in road noise. The 285-45 definitely had a more cushy feel to them. I don't think you would want to go 285 on your amg since you have 295 at the moment. You can go 295-40 but it's only made by michelin.
Venom-AMG is offline  
Old 01-19-2015, 11:34 PM
  #5  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550
2014 GL63 with 22" HRE P101s with 36mm offset, Pirelli Scorpions in 305/40/22. Very mild difference in comparison with the stock 21's with regards to ride comfort, haven't noticed any rubbing at full lock.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone gone to 22 inch wheels?-img_0396.jpg   Anyone gone to 22 inch wheels?-img_0395.jpg   Anyone gone to 22 inch wheels?-img_0394.jpg  
prsdoc is offline  
Old 01-20-2015, 06:22 AM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by prsdoc View Post
2014 GL63 with 22" HRE P101s with 36mm offset, Pirelli Scorpions in 305/40/22. Very mild difference in comparison with the stock 21's with regards to ride comfort, haven't noticed any rubbing at full lock.
Those look great! I like the gloss vs. the flat or matte black on my OEM 21 winter wheel. My summers are 305/35/22 and it's good to know that I could go up a size. Where did you get the tires as these sizes can be hard to find?

Would you consider using silver lug nuts? They are aluminum as you know on the OEMs and I have grown to like how they pull in the outer aluminum strip.

Great setup!

Btw... I notice very little difference except for firmness between the OEM winter 21 setup and my summer 22s.

cyclrder is offline  
Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 PM
  #7  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by cyclrder View Post
Those look great! I like the gloss vs. the flat or matte black on my OEM 21 winter wheel. My summers are 305/35/22 and it's good to know that I could go up a size. Where did you get the tires as these sizes can be hard to find?

Would you consider using silver lug nuts? They are aluminum as you know on the OEMs and I have grown to like how they pull in the outer aluminum strip.

Great setup!

Btw... I notice very little difference except for firmness between the OEM winter 21 setup and my summer 22s.

Tires in 305/40/22 are fairly well available, good variety on tirerack. Funny you mentioned the silver lugs, I had already switched them out - the vendor had accidentally sent the wheels out with black lugs and sent me a replacement set in chrome. For the winter/ski/snowboard trip setup, I went with studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's on the stock rims.

Your setup is quite nice as well, love the silver theme with the roof cargo box too!

Embarassingly dirty pic -makes me realize I need to paint the rotor hats:

prsdoc is offline  
Old 01-20-2015, 03:31 PM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by prsdoc View Post
Tires in 305/40/22 are fairly well available, good variety on tirerack. Funny you mentioned the silver lugs, I had already switched them out - the vendor had accidentally sent the wheels out with black lugs and sent me a replacement set in chrome. For the winter/ski/snowboard trip setup, I went with studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7's on the stock rims.

Your setup is quite nice as well, love the silver theme with the roof cargo box too!

Embarassingly dirty pic -makes me realize I need to paint the rotor hats:

yep.. the chrome looks much better! I painted my insides with silver caliper paint and they are doing quite nicely.

also.. yours is a 2014? you should consider changing to the current 2015 Brembo pads.. they smoke much less.. actually went to Porterfields and they don't smoke hardly at all...
plus.. check with your dealer as a new update to the command system that was just released in December improves the rear camera!
cyclrder is offline  
Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM
  #9  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550
Thanks for the tips, I'll have to check with my dealer re: software/camera update. The brake pads were just replaced as part of the CPO process when I picked up the car, so not sure if its the current gen Brembo pads - I'll assume so. They definitely don't let off as much dust as my Cayenne, next time I'll do PCCBs just to avoid the dust. I'll have to look into the Porters too, next time the pad change comes up!
prsdoc is offline  
Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 595
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Hi Cyclrder - your setup looks great. Can you give the details of your wheels?

e.g. 22x10, +30mm offset.


Originally Posted by cyclrder View Post
Those look great! I like the gloss vs. the flat or matte black on my OEM 21 winter wheel. My summers are 305/35/22 and it's good to know that I could go up a size. Where did you get the tires as these sizes can be hard to find?

Would you consider using silver lug nuts? They are aluminum as you know on the OEMs and I have grown to like how they pull in the outer aluminum strip.

Great setup!

Btw... I notice very little difference except for firmness between the OEM winter 21 setup and my summer 22s.

Chedman13 is offline  
Old 03-10-2016, 08:48 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 350
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 GL350 BTC & 2016 E63S
22" Black centre on star pattern... rides fine... looks nicer as breaks away from all the stock looking GL's out there!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone gone to 22 inch wheels?-gl.jpg  
nynd is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 08:50 AM
  #12  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
F: 22x10.5 +32
R: 22x10.5 +26

I will tell you that it is hard getting 305/35/22 sized tires from Pirelli..
You might consider using the tire sizes from the GLE coupe =285/40R22 front and 325/35R22 at the rear.... but you might have to check the offsets.

also.. I don't think that the fatter tires look as good as my 35s (probably better for potholes though....)
cyclrder is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:21 AM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 595
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting 22x10's with using 305/40/22. Definitely a more aggressive rear offset, like yours so very helpful.

I did look at that setup but there is only two tire options I believe and the tread rating and reviews show they only last 10k-12k miles.

I did see the wheels and tires in person. They do look amazing (oem gle 22" wheels).

You can only tell the difference from the rear and if you're looking at the tires so not sure if it's worth it for the limited tire selection.

But that wide tire is sweet for sure.

Any reason why you went 10.5 wide, especially in the front? That seems like potential more issues for wobble, but I see Hre runs 11" fronts for some of their ml63 builds.

Originally Posted by cyclrder View Post
F: 22x10.5 +32
R: 22x10.5 +26

I will tell you that it is hard getting 305/35/22 sized tires from Pirelli..
You might consider using the tire sizes from the GLE coupe =285/40R22 front and 325/35R22 at the rear.... but you might have to check the offsets.

also.. I don't think that the fatter tires look as good as my 35s (probably better for potholes though....)
Chedman13 is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 AM
  #14  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
no issues with wobble.. though the car does track following the lay of the road more as to be expected... you have to use the same size tires front and back... or then use the 22s with MB specs as you really want them to have the same rolling specs (revolutions per minute)
cyclrder is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 AM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 595
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
I've been contemplating that too.

I use 305/40/22 on my brabus wheels right now with no issues so far and see a few other members run them too.

I do have a concern that it will mess with lane tracking, brake assist, distronic, basically anything that uses the speed/revolutions as a calculation.

It also is a big enough differences that most online tire calculators don't recommend it.

Your tires are too hard to find for me, and 285/40/22 is too narrow for my taste as I did have them on hre's before.

Maybe I stick with building out 21x10 and using the new dws continental 295/40/21 tires, which I'm a big fan of.

Or just do the 22's with the gle tire size as those are close to stock overall diameter and deal with getting new tires every 10k miles.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by cyclrder View Post
no issues with wobble.. though the car does track following the lay of the road more as to be expected... you have to use the same size tires front and back... or then use the 22s with MB specs as you really want them to have the same rolling specs (revolutions per minute)
Chedman13 is offline  
Old 03-13-2016, 10:00 AM
  #16  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Chedman13 View Post
I've been contemplating that too.

I use 305/40/22 on my brabus wheels right now with no issues so far and see a few other members run them too.

I do have a concern that it will mess with lane tracking, brake assist, distronic, basically anything that uses the speed/revolutions as a calculation.

It also is a big enough differences that most online tire calculators don't recommend it.

Your tires are too hard to find for me, and 285/40/22 is too narrow for my taste as I did have them on hre's before.

Maybe I stick with building out 21x10 and using the new dws continental 295/40/21 tires, which I'm a big fan of.

Or just do the 22's with the gle tire size as those are close to stock overall diameter and deal with getting new tires every 10k miles.

Any thoughts?
I would wait and see if a 22inch option comes from MB when the 17 GL63 is announced.
So you are running 305/40/22s? that is what had been recommended to me from a wheel/tire dealer in Miami.. I just felt the 40 looked a bit tall (sitting in the showroom.. not on the car... I might change my mind when I see it on the car) As long as the tires roll at the same revolutions.. everything will work fine.

I am now seeing the 305/35/22 on the Pirelli website and hoping that it is available (I always have a spare tire incase I blow one out as I did once hitting a metal curb)

MB will always go with a 40 sized tire for the GL....

as for tire wear.. remember.. the zero is a summer high performance tire and 8-12K is what you should expect for a set of rear tires (and since you can't rotate any of these combos.. it is what it is. I get 1 set of fronts for every 2 sets of rears in the wear aspect of things. I don't feel it that bad as I run my OEM 21s with winter scorpions in the off season (45 degrees and below)
cyclrder is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 04:54 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 478
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MBs
22" for GLS are available - atleast on the EU/UK site, but based on that one video - its a 285/40/22-- we should get the same hopefully in NA as the order guide has them listed as well ..
I'm not sure if i iike it that tall either (40), on the 22s, on a GLS
I'm opting for the 22"s - but will change to tire to the widest I can get from pirelli; michelins would have been better but no chance of them getting that size.. 305 or 315 maybe (hope it doesnt rub) and for winter - oem 20/10.5 AMGs with 285s-- ride great on my 14'GL63 -- those will come off when that car goes and should fit on the 17'..
offset is 46 for current GL/GLS AMG rims, but the 22" AMGs I think are 45-- not too aggressive but as long as the fill the wheel well...
sraza is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 04:59 PM
  #18  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by sraza View Post
22" for GLS are available - atleast on the EU/UK site, but based on that one video - its a 285/40/22-- we should get the same hopefully in NA as the order guide has them listed as well ..
I'm not sure if i iike it that tall either (40), on the 22s, on a GLS
I'm opting for the 22"s - but will change to tire to the widest I can get from pirelli; michelins would have been better but no chance of them getting that size.. 305 or 315 maybe (hope it doesnt rub) and for winter - oem 20/10.5 AMGs with 285s-- ride great on my 14'GL63 -- those will come off when that car goes and should fit on the 17'..
offset is 46 for current GL/GLS AMG rims, but the 22" AMGs I think are 45-- not too aggressive but as long as the fill the wheel well...
with my setup and offsets... it is pretty close for rubbing.. can't tell you how yours might turnout.

21" snows are fine.. I have driven in 16" snow on the roads with my car with the traction control turned off.. anything more and it becomes an issue hanging the bottom of the car up. You should just put scorpion 21" winters on your OEM... that way you don't compromise your non snow winter driving.. trust me on this. PM me directly to discuss.
cyclrder is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 05:02 PM
  #19  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
if you want to improve the stance ... can always put a couple of washers between the front ride height sensors and it will drop it down to whatever you feel comfortable with.. makes the car look much more aggressive. I wouldn't go any wider than what I have as it just makes the car follow the road worse. As it is.. it is you think your car is out of alignment because it tracks the surface.. only until I put the OEMs back on am I assured that it isn't a problem....

though.. I did have a Pirelli 22" slip a belt and it was replaced under warranty!
cyclrder is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 05:21 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 478
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MBs
21 snows are def fine, I just happened to have a set of 20 AMGs off an older truck so used them as the winter set up..
and yea I agree on 21s, scorpion def better, those summer tires are crap .. the Wifes GL has the 21 scorpions on it..
true the wider - more road following, but feels more planted ..
lets see what tire they end up sending with the 22 OEMs.. i DEF do NOT want 285s for summer months, hence the slightly wider option, prolly will end up getting 305s -- prior to delivery (and swap the oem tires out for the difference)
sraza is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 PM
  #21  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 595
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Yes, I run 305/40/22 right now on Hankook Ventus RH06. 420 A A Rated, good tread life, quiet even when worn down and good dry/wet traction. Decent in snow too.

Fronts that I've tried:
22x10 +49mm offset = too far in, zero plastic liner rub
22x10 +35mm offset = looks decent, minor plastic liner rub. Only at full turn and you don't feel it in the steering wheel. You can only see by visual inspection.
22x10 +30mm offset = looks better, but more plastic line rub, you can feel it at full turn, but nothing major. This is my preferred setup for the front.

Rear
22x10 +25mm offset = nearly flush, needs 9mm more to be flush with the AMG fender flare. So +16mm offset might be my ideal setup.

So my new wheels, might get the offset equivilant of 22x10+30mm front and 22x10+16mm rear to using a 11" wide wheel to optimize the 305/40/22 tire.

I believe that is a 22x11+(30+12.7=42.7mm) fronts and 22x11+(16+12.7=28.7mm) rears.

I hope my calculations are right, or else it could be a huge mistake...

BTW I tried 285/40/22 - I do not like the look at all. Skinner than 295/40/21 and fatter. But you have great tire choices at 285/40/22, that's about it.
Chedman13 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 595
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Dirty car/wheel/tire - but you get the idea.




305/40/22
Chedman13 is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 10:17 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 195
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
Originally Posted by Chedman13 View Post
Dirty car/wheel/tire - but you get the idea.


305/40/22

More views pls!
tate16t is offline  
Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 PM
  #24  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 595
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by tate16t View Post
More views pls!

Chedman13 is offline  
Old 03-16-2016, 04:55 PM
  #25  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
cyclrder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 844
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 18 E63s Wagon
those are your winter tires? they sit too far in.
cyclrder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone to 22 inch wheels?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: