GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Aux Video (Amazon Firestick) & COMAND NTG 4.7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by mekantor
Does this setup allow mirroring of the same video to the headrest screens, like when playing a DVD from the headunit?
Seems like it is possible to activate source for rear

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 03-26-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by mekantor
Does this setup allow mirroring of the same video to the headrest screens, like when playing a DVD from the headunit?
Yes, absolutely. In fact, this is the primary use for us in our car since it's hard for us to reach into the back seat and get the kids all setup with a movie. Instead, we put on what we want in the front, then use the option "Activate this source for the rear" to push the content to the back screens (which have to be set to "COMAND" as their own source).
The following users liked this post:
OnlyGerman (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Originally Posted by Jason Stewart
Yes, absolutely. In fact, this is the primary use for us in our car since it's hard for us to reach into the back seat and get the kids all setup with a movie. Instead, we put on what we want in the front, then use the option "Activate this source for the rear" to push the content to the back screens (which have to be set to "COMAND" as their own source).
Whom to do you recommend to activate the VIM?
Old 03-26-2021, 01:47 PM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
Whom to do you recommend to activate the VIM?
https://www.bimmerguru.com/benz this is vendor I used... process is software-based, completely reversible and very easy to apply. Better than having a hardware-based solution in my opinion...
Old 03-26-2021, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
https://www.bimmerguru.com/benz this is vendor I used... process is software-based, completely reversible and very easy to apply. Better than having a hardware-based solution in my opinion...
great, thanks. And to confirm, it will unlock, ALL VIM including AUX video? I agree, this seems like a better approach than the harness I saw.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:14 PM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
great, thanks. And to confirm, it will unlock, ALL VIM including AUX video? I agree, this seems like a better approach than the harness I saw.
Yes, it will unlock both DVD and AUX video in motion.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Yes, it will unlock both DVD and AUX video in motion.
Thanks.

Finally trying to get this to work - having issues. I may have the wrong type of RGB aux cable, as I just found it in my bin of cables. I have two of the HDMI/RGB converters, so don't think that is it. I have the OEM interface aux cable as well. Will do more troubleshooting, it just has to work sooner or later!!!
Old 03-28-2021, 09:58 PM

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 GL550
I tried this cable and it doesn’t recognize the aux. says nothing is connected. What is the correct cable to use that will activate the input.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES ML250 W166
Ah, I see. You are probably right that changing the software settings (presumably through the hidden engineering menu) has caused the AUX input to stop working. Can you reset the parameters to their default and try again?
i don‘t know how reset them but i will try my very best tomorrow

Can you give me some hint how to get this done?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 PM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by Ricardoa1
I tried this cable and it doesn’t recognize the aux. says nothing is connected. What is the correct cable to use that will activate the input.

That is not the correct cable to allow for video pass-thru via the MMI port. The cable you need has ONLY the 1/8'' female connector on the end (yours has USB + 1/8'' Audio/Aux). The cable you need is the one on the far right in this image:

The cable you have is just for USB and Aux Audio input; it does not allow video input via the 1/8th cable.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:52 PM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by Markus Pammer
i don‘t know how reset them but i will try my very best tomorrow

Can you give me some hint how to get this done?
I do not know what the default settings are; sorry But this thread may help: https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...scription.html
Old 10-04-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL 500
I've been trying to find a way to display auxillary video input on the OEM COMAND screen in my '13 GL550 but was unable to locate any official documentation on the topic despite the feature seemingly being supported natively (via the "Aux" submenu within "Video"). In the COMAND manual, pages 232 and 217, there is mention of being able to connect external video devices, but the instructions are less than precise on how exactly this is accomplished. I also found some forum posts from other members indicating that a certain Media Interface cable was the key to getting external video sources to show up via the "Aux Video" menu. A bit of digging revealed that the 1/8'' cable that came with the MB SKU Part #166-827-02-04 Media Interface Kit was the cable I needed.

Surprisingly, this cable kit can't be found inexpensively on Amazon or elsewhere, but I did manage to find the kit for $50 on eBay. It took about 4 weeks to arrive and in combination with "3.5mm to 3 RCA AV" (also known as a "1/8" TRRS AUX Male(CTIA) to RCA Male Stereo Audio Video Cable") I was able to get external video to show up on my COMAND screen!

3.5mm to 3 RCA AV

In my case, my end goal was to attach an Amazon Firestick to my system, which itself would run an emulator to play vintage video games. The Firestick Lite is connected to an HDMI to RCA converter to enable it to connect to the 3.5mm to 3 RCA AV cable (which is then connected to the 1/8'' female Media Interface Cable, which is plugged into the Media Interface port in the center console armrest.
Here's an image of the cable connections:

How to connect a Firestick to NTG 4.7 via Media Interface

Here's a video of the setup working:

Amazon Firestick on 2013 Mercedes GL550 (X166) COMAND (NTG 4.7)

In my case, I paired the Firestick with 2 8bitdo sn30 pro bluetooth game controllers to enable the retro gaming piece.

8bitdo sn30 pro bluetooth game controllers

information about emulation gaming on an Amazon fire stick can be found here:

emulation gaming on an Amazon fire stick can be found here

Information about customizing the Amazon Firestick here:

customizing the firestick

Adding a device with an app ecosystem to the COMAND system really enables a whole host of new functionality; for example, you can mirror your device's screen (phone, tablet, laptop) to your Firestick and show the content on the COMAND screen. Even more possibilities when paired with a Video-in-motion unlock!
Thanks for the information shared, It's helpful indeed, Will this method allow you to show the share front command screen to rear screen if vhichle equipped with rear entertainment system as if you are running normal DVD video.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2021, 03:17 PM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by Tofe1979
Thanks for the information shared, It's helpful indeed, Will this method allow you to show the share front command screen to rear screen if vhichle equipped with rear entertainment system as if you are running normal DVD video.

Thanks in advance
Yes, it sure will!
Tofe1979 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:57 AM

GL 500
Yes, it sure will!
Thanks, can you share the sticker on the Mercedes Aux cable as Can't find working cable.. No Audio for me.. Only video
Old 10-05-2021, 10:31 AM

2013 GL550
Thanks, can you share the sticker on the Mercedes Aux cable as Can't find working cable.. No Audio for me.. Only video
It's MB SKU Part #166-827-02-04. Here's an example of where to buy the cable: https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...4-5-1668270204. I bought mine on eBay at a lower price, but they are fairly rare.

If you're not getting audio, it's possible that the Red, Yellow and White cables need to be rearranged. In my case, the cable that was outputting audio (which is supposed to be Red and White) was actually the yellow cable. Try switching your cables around in different combinations to see if that helps get your audio working.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:38 AM

GL 500
Thanks
As I will use the Aux cable only for video and Audio
I need the sticker at Aux, no means to buy the entire kit

I can source it separately, mine produced vifeo using yellow, remains red and white which obviously not carrying any video..

Please let me know if I miss anything else here
Old 10-05-2021, 12:20 PM

2013 GL550
Thanks
As I will use the Aux cable only for video and Audio
I need the sticker at Aux, no means to buy the entire kit

I can source it separately, mine produced vifeo using yellow, remains red and white which obviously not carrying any video..

Please let me know if I miss anything else here
Here's the sticker on the MB cable I am using

Old 10-11-2021, 01:59 PM

GL 500
Dear Friend
Finally got things working, my Hdmi to AV was faulty, however I recognized a noise sound.. Buzzing once you increase the sound beyond a certain value.. I assume this is ground loop noise.

Had you face so
Old 10-11-2021, 06:40 PM

2013 GL550
Dear Friend
Finally got things working, my Hdmi to AV was faulty, however I recognized a noise sound.. Buzzing once you increase the sound beyond a certain value.. I assume this is ground loop noise.

Had you face so
I had that problem too (buzzing sound). In my case, I was able to switch the Red, White and Yellow cables around (into the HDMI converter box) and eventually found a combination that omitted the buzzing.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:47 PM

GL 500
Dear all
My staff was working great until I mess up the command engineering mode.

​​​​​​I can see the video clearly and i can lesson to Audio as well, however wherever I connect so to car... No Audio... Aux enabled, fuses checked and works.. Not sure if something went wrong in hardware or a fuse at the head unit itself which allows only video although same connector the 3.5 mm shows video without audio.

Any idea is much appreciated
Old 11-08-2021, 07:54 PM

2013 GL550
Dear all
My staff was working great until I mess up the command engineering mode.

​​​​​​I can see the video clearly and i can lesson to Audio as well, however wherever I connect so to car... No Audio... Aux enabled, fuses checked and works.. Not sure if something went wrong in hardware or a fuse at the head unit itself which allows only video although same connector the 3.5 mm shows video without audio.

Any idea is much appreciated
Are you saying that when you select “Video > Aux” and play a video, you see the video but don’t hear any sound?
Old 11-08-2021, 09:24 PM

GL 500
Are you saying that when you select “Video > Aux” and play a video, you see the video but don’t hear any sound?
Exactly, this is the problem... I checked everything from the Aux at TV... Both Audio and Video working... After missing up the engineering mode.. Only video.. Although Aux is enabled.

I recognized that video is On and grayed out... While Aux also is On ( not grayed out), Most On, External Amplifier is set... All sounds working along with video except the Sound with the video as it played video muted from the Aux Input
Old 11-15-2021, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 X166 GL AMG, '98 W202 C280 Sport
Originally Posted by Markus Pammer
changing the colors did not change the situation

i powered Stick and Converter with the cigarette lighter 12V

black Screen :-(((

Your problem here is the adapter.
You have an "AV 2 HDMI" adapter ~ but you need an "HDMI 2 AV" adapter

The video pass through series should be Firestick > Adapter > AV Cable > Command
So the video input>output direction needs to follow that series flow.
Get the right adapter and it should work.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 X166 GL AMG, '98 W202 C280 Sport
Thank you very much. just got this up and running in time for a long roadtrip with 3 kids in the back ~ so happy it works!!!!

Thank you for doing the footwork
Jason Stewart (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 10:28 AM

2013 GL550
Exactly, this is the problem... I checked everything from the Aux at TV... Both Audio and Video working... After missing up the engineering mode.. Only video.. Although Aux is enabled.

I recognized that video is On and grayed out... While Aux also is On ( not grayed out), Most On, External Amplifier is set... All sounds working along with video except the Sound with the video as it played video muted from the Aux Input
@Tofe1979 did you ever figure out how to get your audio working? I seem to have the same problem now... AUX Video is working, but no Audio from the video...

EDIT: I figured it out and fixed the "No Aux Audio via AMI Port" issue.

For a separate reason (Roadmap CarPlay Installation) I had been messing around in the Engineering Menu to see if I needed to enable "Aux" Audio option (even though, in my case, I already had the AUX menu item in the main infotainment screen) and in the process I temporarily turned off "MOST" in 7.5 the TGW Parameter menu (which is a trick to enable "Audio Aux" selection in 7.7 HU Parameter menu) which reset the Audio Source and UCI (Universal Control Interface?) parameters to the incorrect settings for my vehicle (correct settings for Harmon Kardon systems is Audio Source: External Amp; UCI: Installed). I did the following to fix get Audio working through the AMI port again:
  1. Enter engineering menu, enter 7.7 HW Parameter menu, change Audio Aux to Off. Press and hold COMAND on/off button to reset COMAND.
  2. Enter engineering menu, enter 7.5 TGW Parameter menu, change Most to Off. Press and hold COMAND on/off button to reset COMAND.
  3. Enter engineering menu, enter 7.5 TGW Parameter menu, change Most to On, change Audio Source to External Amp, change UCI to Installed. Press and hold COMAND on/off button to reset COMAND.
  4. With COMAN powered on, check to see if you can hear Audio through your video source plugged into the AMI port (via Video > Aux or Audio > Aux). Should work!
Here are my Engineering Mode settings for reference:

NTG 4.7, 7.5 TGW Parameter Screen

NTG 4.7, 7.7 HU Parameter Screen

Last edited by Jason Stewart; 03-19-2022 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added additional context
MBUser901 (08-06-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aux Video (Amazon Firestick) & COMAND NTG 4.7