GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tuning kit for glc 300?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
Tuning kit for glc 300?

Wondering if anyone has invested in a plug and play tuning kit for their glc? Interested to see what kind of power increase you got and if it's worth the 1k price tag
Old 09-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
I'm sure all that happens is:
1. you gain a couple horsepower
2. you lose the drivability engineers spent countless hours perfecting
3. you lose fuel economy
4. you lose $1,000
5. you lose your powertrain warranty

other than that, it probably kicks ***!!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by ec_nova
3. you lose fuel economy
4. you lose $1,000

So I found one from Great Britain that's only 500, they claim a 50bhp increase as well as a 46 ftlb increase in torque. They also claim it doesn't leave a trace in the ecu. Just trying to figure out if anyone has had experience with these plug n' play systems and if they truly see these power increases and you don't leave a trace when it goes in for service.

this is the link: https://tdi-tuning.com/car/mercedes-benz/glc/300-cgi-4matic-241-bhp-244-ps-179-kw/crtd4-multi-channel-petrol-tuning-box-chip
Old 09-20-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I've had a DTE Systems (German TuV tested and certified) FSR box in my Golf R for 26,000 miles now. Works brilliantly. Prior to that I had for 36,000 miles a CRD box on my diesel Nissan pickup truck, absolutely faultless. I had that one with and without on the rolling road and got it from 169 upto 214. Sustained measured mpg improvement was 24.7%.

When DTUK send me my FSR for the Golf R they also send me a pedal box. I was alwas sceptical about those, but after I fitted it I kept it, and paid for it. Not only that, I also got one for our Mercedes GL which made that awful 7G gearbox a bit more bearable and generally more responsive.

I would go for it.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
3. you lose fuel economy
4. you lose $1,000

If one is wise he/she will pay attention what ec is saying.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:49 PM

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts
2021 GLE450
3. you lose fuel economy
4. you lose $1,000

I'm not for one minute suggesting an aftermarket tune is a good idea, but in most cases, drivability and fuel efficiency both improve. Unfortunately, they do so at the expense of a dirtier tailpipe. VW essentially offered an aftermarket tune at the factory specifically to improve throttle response and real world efficiency, then found a way to hide it during emissions testing.

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-20-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I'm not for one minute suggesting an aftermarket tune is a good idea, but in most cases, drivability and fuel efficiency both improve. Unfortunately, they do so at the expense of a dirtier tailpipe. VW essentially offered an aftermarket tune at the factory specifically to improve throttle response and real world efficiency, then found a way to hide it during emissions testing.
Volvo is good that way, they recognise that the general map they put in their car to suit all regions can be improved upon, and they sell exactly the same thing through their dealerships.

As I said the DTE Systems ones are TuV certified, some of the worlds most stringest testing.

And yes they spend lots of time tuning, doesn't mean they get it right to suit everyone and every region. There is a lot left to improved upon. Man you should she the A45 gang here in the UK they run nearly all with a tune, that engine is just asking for it. And I can imagine (they don't do the glc300 where I live so I have to), but that that little 4 cylinder turbo charged engine can do a lot more. Just like it is known that the 3.0TT has a lot of head room.

There is always a risk, that is the game of tuning. One I'm happy to make with DTE Systems boxes.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:55 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
If one is wise he/she will pay attention what ec is saying.
Based upon what?

1. Yes you gain a lot of horsepower and torque
2. No you don't loose driveability at all, you gain a lot of responsiveness and I would say for a low powered vehicle like the GLC300 you gain a lot in driveability.
3. You don't loose fuel economy, you generally gain a little. Fair enough not as much for a petrol turbo vehicle but a lot for a diesel.
4. No you don't loose your $1000, in fact it doesn't cost that much, but also you can resell it afterwards. I normally got about 3/4 back after three years using it.
5. Yes you do, I agree, that is a risk you take if it turns out to be an issue related to that.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300 SQ%5
You gain everything from a tune. I have a SQ5 with a pulley and a tune and not only did the driveability increase but so did the fuel economy (not that I care though). Factory ecu tunes accomodate all regions and fuel types and include a large margin of safety. Screw the warranty and tune it if you can.
The following users liked this post:
bb85 (04-24-2019)
Old 09-21-2016, 06:44 PM

E300, C63
everyone is posting their tuning experience based on "performance" vehicles. I have a lot of firsthand experience with tuned performance vehicles, as well as the basic economy vehicles (i.e. the GLC300) and it is lightyears different.

I have tuned all of my Camaros myself, as well as a handful of other vehicles, however they are much simpler than Benz as they are pushrod V8's with traditional fuel injection.

There is a huge market for tuning AMG's, corvettes, performance turbo/supercharged vehicles, etc. Therefore tuners spend a lot of time perfecting these tunes.

Those tunes also cost thousands (for good ones) or less if it's tuned directly by a tuner.

If you really think the same amount of effort is going into these $500/$1000 tunes for your economy cars you're sorely mistaken. You will gain little if any power, and your car will drive like crap. I can't tell you how many M271, M272, M273, etc cars I have flashed back to factory for customers because of how unhappy they are with their renntech/misc tune.

Also, I have replaced quite a few engines because of these garbage piggyback or OBD plug ins that cause detonation and destroy engines. Even these non-AMG engines start at over $12,000, and it's not warranty. If anyone tells you that you can unplug it and it doesn't leave a trace, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

For less than $1,000 you can put a set of Michelin pilot super sports on and wake the truck up way more than a junk *** tune. But to each his own, I suppose!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:17 PM

right to be forgotten
everyone is posting their tuning experience based on "performance" vehicles. I have a lot of firsthand experience with tuned performance vehicles, as well as the basic economy vehicles (i.e. the GLC300) and it is lightyears different.

I have tuned all of my Camaros myself, as well as a handful of other vehicles, however they are much simpler than Benz as they are pushrod V8's with traditional fuel injection.

There is a huge market for tuning AMG's, corvettes, performance turbo/supercharged vehicles, etc. Therefore tuners spend a lot of time perfecting these tunes.

Those tunes also cost thousands (for good ones) or less if it's tuned directly by a tuner.

If you really think the same amount of effort is going into these $500/$1000 tunes for your economy cars you're sorely mistaken. You will gain little if any power, and your car will drive like crap. I can't tell you how many M271, M272, M273, etc cars I have flashed back to factory for customers because of how unhappy they are with their renntech/misc tune.

Also, I have replaced quite a few engines because of these garbage piggyback or OBD plug ins that cause detonation and destroy engines. Even these non-AMG engines start at over $12,000, and it's not warranty. If anyone tells you that you can unplug it and it doesn't leave a trace, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

For less than $1,000 you can put a set of Michelin pilot super sports on and wake the truck up way more than a junk *** tune. But to each his own, I suppose!
Fully agree that there is a lot of crap out there; sold via ebay and direct online channels. However there are some very good and respectable systems out there as well. As I said some of them are TuV tested. Really good systems indeed. I guess we have very different experiences.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by dejongj
Fully agree that there is a lot of crap out there; sold via ebay and direct online channels. However there are some very good and respectable systems out there as well. As I said some of them are TuV tested. Really good systems indeed. I guess we have very different experiences.
I live in Florida, which has very, VERY high heat, with horrible fuel. It weeds out the bad tunes in a heartbeat lol
Old 09-22-2016, 01:41 AM

right to be forgotten
I live in Florida, which has very, VERY high heat, with horrible fuel. It weeds out the bad tunes in a heartbeat lol
And a great example of why the rest of us have to suffer with vehicles that could do so much better

I live in a wet and cold country, there is a lovely low lying very cold yet very dry drag strip in Scotland where some great times are set.

Also got some nice Shell Nitro+ RON98 available in every gas station, an Tesco do some RON99 although you need to have a busy garage because I've once had some old stuff from them which really held back my current engine. So I tend to still with Shell.

We can just "feel" the engines wanting and able to do more
Old 09-22-2016, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
While I don't agree with all of what ec nova wrote, this part is pretty much indisputable.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Mr. J
While I don't agree with all of what ec nova wrote, this part is pretty much indisputable.
Only if they do them in our size They don't for me ...
Old 09-24-2016, 12:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
I'm planning on going with the Weistec catless downpipe and their ECU tune. They haven't done a GLC ecu before but the ECU appears the same as the C300. Will find out soon.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4Matic
concur w EC. if you damage the engine, which is a possibility because you will be driving it harder and it was not designed for such, it will void the warranty. You could expect to pay 20,000 or more for an engine rebuild if there is a catastrophic failure. The chip/tuning box can be traced even after removed from the engine by a good MB mechanic. They can go back in the ecu and see where the engine exceeded the design parameters and that cannot be done on a stock engine/ecu.

I think the high quality tuners such as VR, Carlsson, Brabus, Renntech etc are just that, high quality, but none will give you a warranty if the engine blows. You have to ask yourself, do you have 20 K available if the engine blows?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Dinan now offers an ECU tune for the 2.0L turbo as equipped in the X253.

Given the attractive price (around $300), Dinan's good reputation, and the fact that it's a U.S. based tuner, I'm tempted to give this one a go.

Anyone with experience please share your thoughts.

Link to Dinan's X253 tune:
http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...?series=&mid=/
Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
My comments are based on US/North America - and not eu.

1) ECU "tune" only voids MBUSA warranty on the ecu - and frankly I have not personally seen and legitimate sustantive performance upgrades here in US with the Euro add-on boxes.

2) ECU tune does not void MBUSA powertrain warranty - that is prohibited under Federal law - the exception of note is for the AMG 7G powertrains where is you blow your tranny because you put over 650bhp - that the tranny was never claimed or designed to tolerate that bhp.

3) On ECU "tunes" - there are plenty of software shops that will offer tunes - but frankly when it comes to integration of the tune so as not to trip system CEL's - the only source that I have had personal experience with - that will backup-their-claim for no CEL's - is RennTech. My personal experience is mirrored by a decent # of Mercedes dealers in major metro markets that do order/installed RennTech products for their performance seeking customers. I don't know of another tune house that is handled by select MB dealerships.

4) Would I choose to do downpipes on a GLC300 - heck now - I'd take that money and a bit more and order/buy a GLC43.

On a GLC RennTech tune - give them a call during normal business hrs Mon-Fri and ask them where they are at in development/release.

Keep the beat !
Old 01-08-2017, 05:44 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

1) ECU "tune" only voids MBUSA warranty on the ecu - and frankly I have not personally seen and legitimate sustantive performance upgrades here in US with the Euro add-on boxes.

2) ECU tune does not void MBUSA powertrain warranty - that is prohibited under Federal law - the exception of note is for the AMG 7G powertrains where is you blow your tranny because you put over 650bhp - that the tranny was never claimed or designed to tolerate that bhp.

3) On ECU "tunes" - there are plenty of software shops that will offer tunes - but frankly when it comes to integration of the tune so as not to trip system CEL's - the only source that I have had personal experience with - that will backup-their-claim for no CEL's - is RennTech. My personal experience is mirrored by a decent # of Mercedes dealers in major metro markets that do order/installed RennTech products for their performance seeking customers. I don't know of another tune house that is handled by select MB dealerships.

4) Would I choose to do downpipes on a GLC300 - heck now - I'd take that money and a bit more and order/buy a GLC43.

On a GLC RennTech tune - give them a call during normal business hrs Mon-Fri and ask them where they are at in development/release.

Keep the beat !
In Europe (that is the continent not the EU which is just a bureaucratic trade organisation), DTE systems does provide 2 years engine warranty
Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 PM

2016 GLC 300 4Matic

Keep the beat !

#1 re-flashing the ecu does not violate the warranty, BUT, if there is an engine failure the warranty will not cover the damage.

#2, re-flashing the ecu, againk does not violate the warranty but again, if there is an engine failure, the warranty will not cover the damage and you will pay out off pocket, maybe 20 K, depending upon the extent of damage.

There is no federal law that protects your warranty if you add after market modifications and please do not invoke Magnuson Moss, if that is what you are implying.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I have between 15-20 customers a year that choose ECU upgraded - and I would LOVE too offer my select customers a $1000 ECU upgrade on their MB.

However (1) CEL's and (2) tune problems problems with the non-RennTech tuners are the reason I know will ONLY recommmend RennTech now.

On my side I have a very good 20yr personal relationship with RennTech on my personal performance MB's - however it was the unforeseen problems with the other "bucket" tuners with my customers which ONLY reason for my RennTech recommendation.

1) If you modify/reprogram the ECU - then with that tune in place - you void the warranty on the ECU.

2) I have seen tuners flash a MB ECU - and with install flash error - "freeze" the ECU - yes - warranty on that ECU is void. Fortunately - factory flash restored the ECU in these cases.

3) "Most" MB ECU's are "boxed" - and a tuner outside the area will instruct you to remove the box and send it to them - they drill a small hole to open the box - and - yes - with hole - evidence the box has been opened - the warranty is void on the ECU

4) I have seen one case under #3 - where a tuner outside the area was sent the same boxed ECU three times to try to correct tuning error which set off CEL's - on that 4th reflash - the very experienced Texas tuner shop FRIED the ECU - FRIED meaning the ECU will not accept factory reflash - that shop did pay for a replacement ECU - which frankly is very good on their part - since most non-RennTech tuner shops will not take responsibility to replace the the ECU.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:47 PM

2016 GLC 300 4Matic
I have between 15-20 customers a year that choose ECU upgraded - and I would LOVE too offer my select customers a $1000 ECU upgrade on their MB.

However (1) CEL's and (2) tune problems problems with the non-RennTech tuners are the reason I know will ONLY recommmend RennTech now.

On my side I have a very good 20yr personal relationship with RennTech on my personal performance MB's - however it was the unforeseen problems with the other "bucket" tuners with my customers which ONLY reason for my RennTech recommendation.

1) If you modify/reprogram the ECU - then with that tune in place - you void the warranty on the ECU.

2) I have seen tuners flash a MB ECU - and with install flash error - "freeze" the ECU - yes - warranty on that ECU is void. Fortunately - factory flash restored the ECU in these cases.

3) "Most" MB ECU's are "boxed" - and a tuner outside the area will instruct you to remove the box and send it to them - they drill a small hole to open the box - and - yes - with hole - evidence the box has been opened - the warranty is void on the ECU

4) I have seen one case under #3 - where a tuner outside the area was sent the same boxed ECU three times to try to correct tuning error which set off CEL's - on that 4th reflash - the very experienced Texas tuner shop FRIED the ECU - FRIED meaning the ECU will not accept factory reflash - that shop did pay for a replacement ECU - which frankly is very good on their part - since most non-RennTech tuner shops will not take responsibility to replace the the ECU.
Too bad there is not, to my knowledge, an after-market tune that would be accepted by MB and not void the warranty. Just curious but what has been your experience with Carlsson, Vivid Racing (VR), TMC and other piggy back type chip tunes.