GLC SUV, Coupe or Jaguar F-Pace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E Coupe
GLC SUV, Coupe or Jaguar F-Pace?

Hi,

Coming from a black Mercedes E Coupe with amg designkit, I now can not choose between the GLC suv (polar white, diamond white or selenite grey, with amg and night package), the GLC Coupe (selenite grey, amg, night package) or the Jaguar F-Pace (black or grey).

We have a baby coming end of the year so probably need the space, but on the other side we also have a C break, so we already have a car with the needed space..

Which car would you guys choose?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:30 AM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
The f pace is gorgeous on the outside... The inside is a different story. When I test drove it, it felt pretty good for an SUV, but the interior just felt lackluster. It was pretty disappointing, especially since it had a higher price point. It was a serious contender, but after spending some time in the cabin, it just didn't feel right to me.

Edit:
The GLC SUV gets my vote. I absolutely hate the design language of the SUV coupes. They look just like the BMW X6's, which I also find disgusting. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tej7; 09-21-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
W203 C350; Lexus GS450h; GLC250 AMG Line
Originally Posted by Tej7
The f pace is gorgeous on the outside... The inside is a different story. When I test drove it, it felt pretty good for an SUV, but the interior just felt lackluster. It was pretty disappointing, especially since it had a higher price point. It was a serious contender, but after spending some time in the cabin, it just didn't feel right to me.

Edit:
The GLC SUV gets my vote. I absolutely hate the design language of the SUV coupes. They look just like the BMW X6's, which I also find disgusting. Hope this helps.
+ 1 on that!
Exactly my feeling when I test drove the F-pace prior to placing my order for the GLC. In fact, i test drove the following: X3, XC60, Q5, F-pace, Disco Sports.
I was holding out for the next gen X3 but the wait time is probabaly early 2018 by the time it reaches my shore.
MB has a winner here in the current pool of available competitors.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
We have a GLC, just ordered Coupe.
Looked at Jag, but was $25k approx more for same safety and sports features. Given Jag history and this is their first foray into SUV territory, I am much happier with MB selection.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300 SQ%5
SQ5. The wifes GLC is nice but, slow slow slow. I will say it is built well but it could use a little adjustment to the rebound if you don't have the air suspension. Taking turns on uneven surfaces allows the rear to become unsettled. The start/stop drives me crazy.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts
2021 GLE450
An F Pace and X4 were among the cars we considered to replace my wife's Q5. I liked the F Pace ok, but my wife couldn't find a comfortable driving position, and the high belt line was a real turnoff for her. It also wasn't as quick as the power difference would lead you to expect. The X4 was disappointing in typical BMW fashion. Not only did it ride too firmly, but rear visibility was severely compromised by that sloping roofline. We expected the same out of the GLC Coupe, along with a reduction in ride comfort. In the end it came down to the Macan or GLC. We both thought the Macan was the better overall package, but she couldn't convince herself that it is ok to have a Porsche as a daily driver.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
The F Pace is a lot, A LOT, larger vehicle. If you want that then great. We looked to downsize our GL, but found the F Pace still very large. Great if you need it, and don't forget the Maserati Levante as well :thumbs:

The coupe has no headroom. I can't sit comfortably in the back on any of such models. I would suggest that is not great with a baby, baby seat and all the gear.

We found the Macan was sloping already, although it just started at the boot not the passenger area. Boot space just felt compromised in that one.

I think with a baby, the GLC is the best choice. But then again if you think the wagon has all the family space and you don't need it. Then why not go for a nice two seater sports car as the other car
Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Sszyma, agree re front steel springs, terrible jarring on speed humps over 25kph.
We have ordered air for the Coupe. Yes rear end can skip a little on uneven surface. We have the 250 diesel and whilst a 350 would be nice, in sports plus mode it certainly "rocks", we leave most behind in our wind turbulence ! Cannot wait to compare the Coupe in 3 or 4 months time with our GLC, both will be 250d's.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Mercedes E Coupe
The thing is, I was always very proud of my black e coupe amg, it looks very classy and stands out of other mainstream cars. I want to keep that feeling, the GLC is very pretty, but isn't it too much blending with x3, q3, etc...?

Although the SUV and Coupe are in the same segment, the coupe looks more "chic"...

Last edited by Blaugrana; 09-21-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:29 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Teckno
Sszyma, agree re front steel springs, terrible jarring on speed humps over 25kph.
We have ordered air for the Coupe. Yes rear end can skip a little on uneven surface. We have the 250 diesel and whilst a 350 would be nice, in sports plus mode it certainly "rocks", we leave most behind in our wind turbulence ! Cannot wait to compare the Coupe in 3 or 4 months time with our GLC, both will be 250d's.
I too wished they did a 350d. I tried to remain sensible and got a test drive in the 250d but found myself performing a Fred Flintstone impression to get the car to go faster and further. I did get out of our 350d in the big GL, and that felt so much quicker. Therefore I had no option than to go for the GLC43. I really wished they make a faster diesel.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:37 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Blaugrana
The thing is, I was always very proud of my black e coupe amg, it looks very classy and stands out of other mainstream cars. I want to keep that feeling, the GLC is very pretty, but isn't it too much blending with x3, q3, etc...?

Although the SUV and Coupe are in the same segment, the coupe looks more "chic"...
It think it depends on what colour, style and other options you choose on the car. I.e. a normal SUV body without the running boards in AMG Line or AMG with wheels that fill the arches looks very 'chic' in my opinion.

Yet if you choose a Coupe version in the offroad pack, with small wheels, it looks like an agricultural Frankenstein.

OK, perhaps a little over dramatic which was done on purchase. The point is that it just all depends. But ultimately other people will always have an opinion, some share it, some laugh behind your back. It doesn't matter as regardless what other people think, the only thing that matters is that the person who owns/drives it is happy with it.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Mercedes E Coupe
Which of these 3 configurations do you guys like the most? I really don't know... :-)

Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 AM

right to be forgotten
Which of these 3 configurations do you guys like the most? I really don't know... :-)

I prefer this one;

However if you were to remove the side running boards I would prefer this one with the night pack.

I don't think the white one looks special enough, could be any non-descript SUV like an x3, q3/5, tiguan etc.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
If you weren't on such a short time frame, I would have recommended to wait for the GLC 63 AMG That would have satisfied needs and wants in all compartments.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Mercedes E Coupe
What do you guys think of the GLC suv Hybrid?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:59 PM

Mercedes E Coupe
Originally Posted by Tej7
If you weren't on such a short time frame, I would have recommended to wait for the GLC 63 AMG That would have satisfied needs and wants in all compartments.
Think that's very expensive in taxes etc..
Old 09-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
What do you guys think of the GLC suv Hybrid?
Is that available in the US yet?
Old 09-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Mercedes E Coupe
Originally Posted by DarrenK
Is that available in the US yet?
I don't know... Here in Belgium you can order it.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:19 PM

right to be forgotten
I don't know... Here in Belgium you can order it.
Interesting. Still not available in the UK. I could have been interested in that. I'm not impressed by the 4 cylinder diesels but that could be interesting. In the UK you'd get good tax breaks on a hybrid and no tolls in London if the emissions are low enough.

Then again even the GlC43 is only costing me £270 per year in tax. Following Brexit that is about €50 :p

Ps. My parents still livery in Vlaanderen
Old 09-22-2016, 01:59 AM

Mercedes E Coupe
I wonder if the Jaguar would get 0 votes too when I was asking this on a Jaguar forum
Old 09-22-2016, 02:01 AM

right to be forgotten
I wonder if the Jaguar would get 0 votes too when I was asking this on a Jaguar forum
I just don't see it as a competitor to the GLC - such a different size vehicle. Very nice to drive though in the S versions.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:03 AM

Mercedes E Coupe
Originally Posted by dejongj
I just don't see it as a competitor to the GLC - such a different size vehicle. Very nice to drive though in the S versions.
I'm gonna testdrive this weekend... It just has a lot of space and looks very cool for a suv, only the color would be an issue..
Old 09-22-2016, 02:12 AM

right to be forgotten
I'm gonna testdrive this weekend... It just has a lot of space and looks very cool for a suv, only the color would be an issue..
Yes if you are in the market for a lot of space it is good. We've had out GL for the last three years, now called GLS but basically the same, and wanted something smaller as certain car parks were really hard to get into or just not possible. Like some of the streets and underground car parks in Brugge, or the Barbican in London, or nearly all in Barcelona.

Whilst the F Pace (my neighbour has go the bi-turbo 3.0 diesel version in S spec) is smaller than the GLS it is still a big old car - a lot more space than the GLC. Colour is a challenge as I think it looks really basic in some colours. Our neighbour got hers in Black Metallic, Black Interior and Black wheels. Looks fantastic.

Like this, looks amazing.

If you are looking at that size, don't forget the Maserati Levante. It is not out in the UK, but I noticed one on the streets of Paris early August so I guess it is out in Belgium as well. I think it is lovely, but again a fair bit bigger than the GLC.

PS. This is how I've configured my GLC that is due next month. I'm still shocked that in Euro's it is list 109K whilst in Pounds it is only 50K. But hey I'm not complaining.

Last edited by dejongj; 09-22-2016 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 AM

Mercedes E Coupe
Originally Posted by dejongj
Yes if you are in the market for a lot of space it is good. We've had out GL for the last three years, now called GLS but basically the same, and wanted something smaller as certain car parks were really hard to get into or just not possible. Like some of the streets and underground car parks in Brugge, or the Barbican in London, or nearly all in Barcelona.

Whilst the F Pace (my neighbour has go the bi-turbo 3.0 diesel version in S spec) is smaller than the GLS it is still a big old car - a lot more space than the GLC. Colour is a challenge as I think it looks really basic in some colours. Our neighbour got hers in Black Metallic, Black Interior and Black wheels. Looks fantastic.

Like this, looks amazing.

If you are looking at that size, don't forget the Maserati Levante. It is not out in the UK, but I noticed one on the streets of Paris early August so I guess it is out in Belgium as well. I think it is lovely, but again a fair bit bigger than the GLC.

PS. This is how I've configured my GLC that is due next month. I'm still shocked that in Euro's it is list 109K whilst in Pounds it is only 50K. But hey I'm not complaining.

Your GLC looks awesome, those wheels are only available for the AMG 43?

The F-Pace looks great too, are that the 22" Double Helix black wheels?

By the way, my previous cars: now mercedes e coupe, before black mercedes slk, black bmw 3 coupe
Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 AM

right to be forgotten
Your GLC looks awesome, those wheels are only available for the AMG 43?

The F-Pace looks great too, are that the 22" Double Helix black wheels?

By the way, my previous cars: now mercedes e coupe, before black mercedes slk, black bmw 3 coupe
Thanks I think removing the side boards really brings out the lines for these cars. The GLC (and the F-Pace hence it looks smaller than it is) is rather low down, and I think it improves it no end. It was really noticeable in the showroom seeing it next to the GLE and the GLS.

The F-Pace actually has 19" wheels, but is using the UK configurator. I just looked at the Belgium configurator and yes for the GLC those wheels seem to be AMG 43 only. I can't believe how much more expensive they are than in the UK. In the UK it is a £1,100 option, and it is a whopping €1,936. That is just ridiculous.

With your history of Coupe's maybe you should wait for a coupe The GLC would be a great, and the hybrid engine looks very interesting actually. I wished they did that one in the UK, great for tax benefits.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC SUV, Coupe or Jaguar F-Pace?