GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Speed Limit Assist only showing the speed limit on freeways

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300 RWD
Speed Limit Assist only showing the speed limit on freeways

I have a 2017 GLC 300 with the Speed Limit Assist (513).

My vehicle only displays the speed limit when I'm on freeways. It doesn't display anything for other major roads, even those with speed limits up to 45-55 mph. I realize that the US feature does not read the speed limit signs, but just uses what's in the map database.

I have the latest (version 10) maps loaded in my vehicle. That's what it came with upon delivery.

I had the dealer look at it and they agreed that it should show the limits for more than just freeways, but re-programming the navigation system and reinstalling the current maps didn't correct the issue.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone with Version 10 of the maps get a speed limit display for anything other than freeways?

2. Does the speed limit show for roads other than freeways on prior versions of the map?

I'm wondering if the Version 10 maps are missing the data that contains non-freeway speed limit information.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by FrogmanX253

My vehicle only displays the speed limit when I'm on freeways. It doesn't display anything for other major roads, even those with speed limits up to 45-55 mph. I realize that the US feature does not read the speed limit signs, but just uses what's in the map database.

I have the latest (version 10) maps loaded in my vehicle. That's what it came with upon delivery.

I had the dealer look at it and they agreed that it should show the limits for more than just freeways, but re-programming the navigation system and reinstalling the current maps didn't correct the issue.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone with Version 10 of the maps get a speed limit display for anything other than freeways?

2. Does the speed limit show for roads other than freeways on prior versions of the map?

I'm wondering if the Version 10 maps are missing the data that contains non-freeway speed limit information.

Thanks!
I've only had my '18 GLC for 3 weeks and it does have Version 10 maps. While it doesn't show ALL smaller (residential) town road speed limits, it does show most secondary roads as I drive on around town. I would note, I have noticed a few that were incorrect for some reason and sometimes it might change a few seconds AFTER you have entered the new (maybe lower) speed limit.

Worth mentioning, it was PERFECT on school zones! It changed almost every time right where the School Zone beginning and ending sign was.

I just returned from a trip out of town and I would say it did an excellent job overall displaying the correct speed limit. I really came to depend on it being unfamiliar with the streets I was on.

One cool thing was when I turned on/changed the DISTRONIC cruise control speed, the current speed limit "sign" was displayed in the instrument cluster in front of you for a few seconds. I REALLY appreciated that function as I knew how much I could bump the speed over the posted speed limit. In other words, if it showed the speed limit was 65 I knew I could go to 70/71 without trying to remember what the current speed was. As you noted, since the "freeway" speeds were pretty much dead on, that was very helpful. I'm on the East Coast and I think I noticed you were in So. Cal. Maybe there's some reason they don't work as well out there.

As for your second question, I don't think think there's anything "wrong" with version 10 or they're missing any information. You might have to contact the map provider to determine if some states haven't provided complete/updated information.
The following users liked this post:
FrogmanX253 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
I took my car on its first trip in the U.S. this weekend. This was my first chance to compare the U.S. Nav to the European Nav. While I did not spend a lot of time playing with the nav I defiantly noticed some differences.

- As Vaboy mentioned there is a couple second delay when passing a speed limit sign before the change appears on the display.

- The change was instantaneous in Europe, even for temporary construction zone signs and dynamic LED signs.

- Speed limit was not displayed for many back country roads even when passing a posted sign.

- I did not notice any time in Europe when the speed limit was not accurately displayed, even in tiny villages and remote country roads.

I have version 10.0 of the maps
Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM

2017 GLC 300 RWD
Originally Posted by ted_jane
I took my car on its first trip in the U.S. this weekend. This was my first chance to compare the U.S. Nav to the European Nav. While I did not spend a lot of time playing with the nav I defiantly noticed some differences.

- As Vaboy mentioned there is a couple second delay when passing a speed limit sign before the change appears on the display.

- The change was instantaneous in Europe, even for temporary construction zone signs and dynamic LED signs.

- Speed limit was not displayed for many back country roads even when passing a posted sign.

- I did not notice any time in Europe when the speed limit was not accurately displayed, even in tiny villages and remote country roads.

I have version 10.0 of the maps
Yeah, that's the issue with the US mode; it doesn't actually read the signs unlike in Europe and other geographies. In the US, it relies completely on the data stored in the map.

I'll have to recheck with the dealer as to why mine doesn't show primary (non freeway) and secondary roads at all.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic

My questions are:

Thanks!
i have the data on freeways as well as many side roads. i would have to say the speed limit show most of the time
Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=Vaboy;7232745]

One cool thing was when I turned on/changed the DISTRONIC cruise control speed, the current speed limit "sign" was displayed in the instrument cluster in front of you for a few seconds. I REALLY appreciated that function as I knew how much I could bump the speed over the posted speed limit. In other words, if it showed the speed limit was 65 I knew I could go to 70/71 without trying to remember what the current speed was. As you noted, since the "freeway" speeds were pretty much dead on, that was very helpful. I'm on the East Coast and I think I noticed you were in So. Cal. Maybe there's some reason they don't work as well out there.

When i keep the Driver Assist on it shows speed limit in instrument cluster. when i have anything else on in instrument cluster and i turn on distronic, it shows the set speed for the distronic but does not show the speed limit sign (though it does briefly show the assistance graphic, just not the speed limit). very strange. i could see it would be nice for the speed limit to pop up (though i do normally have nav map on center display anyway)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
[QUOTE=ajmtbm;7233929]
Originally Posted by Vaboy

When i keep the Driver Assist on it shows speed limit in instrument cluster. when i have anything else on in instrument cluster and i turn on distronic, it shows the set speed for the distronic but does not show the speed limit sign (though it does briefly show the assistance graphic, just not the speed limit). very strange. i could see it would be nice for the speed limit to pop up (though i do normally have nav map on center display anyway)
Hmmm, I'll have to check next time I go out and be sure I described how that worked accurately. It just seemed like anytime I turned on DISTRONIC or changed the speed, the speed limit sign displayed in the center left side of the instrument cluster for a few seconds.

I checked and that's exactly how it works.

Last edited by Vaboy; 08-12-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Updated after checking operation of Speed Limit Assist
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
I activated the Nav on my way to work today, when stopped at a red light, in a 35 mph zone the display showed a 55 mph sign. I was about 1/2 block from the Freeway, I guess the Nav thought I was actually on the Freeway. Once the light changed and I started to move the display showed a 35 mph sign, which was the correct speed limit.

Then when driving through a school zone it display both the 20mpg when children present and the 35mph sign for other times.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:14 AM

2017 GLC 300 RWD
Issue Resolved

I just wanted to follow up on this as the issue has finally been resolved.

The root issue was a bad load / version of the maps. Mercedes service said they were unable to just reinstall the version 10 (2017) maps as the car rejected the attempts. That sounded odd, but arguing about it didn't get me anywhere.

The recommendation from my SA was to wait for a newer version of the maps and that would fix the issue, but they couldn't tell me when the next version was coming out. I decided to just wait as it's not a critical function on the vehicle. Further communications with my SA revealed that other people were having the same issue, so mine was not an isolated case.

Anyway, after waiting 3 months, I was notified this week by my SA that the version 11 (2018) maps just became available. I had the new maps installed today, and Voilà, the speed limit now shows on all major roads!

Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 AM

thats good news im glad that worked out for you. also good to know v11 is out, i have v10 i guess i will ask for an upgrade next time i am there

now if only they can teach the car to read english then we can have more up to date speed limit data...
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
I just wanted to follow up on this as the issue has finally been resolved.

The root issue was a bad load / version of the maps. Mercedes service said they were unable to just reinstall the version 10 (2017) maps as the car rejected the attempts. That sounded odd, but arguing about it didn't get me anywhere.

The recommendation from my SA was to wait for a newer version of the maps and that would fix the issue, but they couldn't tell me when the next version was coming out. I decided to just wait as it's not a critical function on the vehicle. Further communications with my SA revealed that other people were having the same issue, so mine was not an isolated case.

Anyway, after waiting 3 months, I was notified this week by my SA that the version 11 (2018) maps just became available. I had the new maps installed today, and Voilà, the speed limit now shows on all major roads!

Thanks for posting about the version 11 map release. I don’t understand why MB leaves it up to the customer to “discover” when map updates are issued. I was at the dealer for warranty work a couple of weeks ago and they had no info about the schedule for map updates.