GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC Retrofit CarPlay/Android Auto - Press release question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250
GLC Retrofit CarPlay/Android Auto - Press release question.

Hey all, read many threads regarding the topic and the mostly common answer that retrofitting carplay is not possible on the GLC, with command or audio 20.

HOWEVER! There is a press release gone out from MB last week here:

http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSi...l?oid=23809929

Which shows that there going to be introducing it as an option this quarter for the Audio 20.

Big question is, is it software or hardware and do we think it might make retrofitting possible..

..I am trying to contact MB Tech support to ask the question, and have asked my dealer to also chase head office for some info on the topic, but thought 1. maybe others would be interested to read this press release and 2. maybe some more knowledgeable person than I might read this and have some info

Comments please?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Looks to me like a press release regarding the smartphone integration offered on the MY2018 GLC.

Nothing new, in other words, just confirming what can be seen in the '18 build configurator.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM

GLC 250
Originally Posted by midesaka
Looks to me like a press release regarding the smartphone integration offered on the MY2018 GLC.

Nothing new, in other words, just confirming what can be seen in the '18 build configurator.
Yes, of course its a press release, my question really was that if they will now have a version of the AUDIO 20, with a firmware configuration that can support CarPlay, will it make it possible to backwards port that to a MY2017 car for example.

I am still waiting to hear back from Mercedes tech people on this question.. maybe if we're lucky its just a software update and a new usb port or something... fingers crossed..
Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lines
Yes, of course its a press release, my question really was that if they will now have a version of the AUDIO 20, with a firmware configuration that can support CarPlay, will it make it possible to backwards port that to a MY2017 car for example.

I am still waiting to hear back from Mercedes tech people on this question.. maybe if we're lucky its just a software update and a new usb port or something... fingers crossed..
Did you read this post I made last October? A retrofit doesn't seem likely.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM

GLC 250
I did, but it was quite inconclusive, the whole saga is a joke to be honest on MB side.. What I am sure of is that nothing is impossible, maybe today it is because of their lack of ability to write the correct firmware to close the loop on requirements to make it happen, but if the next gen brings with it some updates that might make things possible then its worth exploring..

I can of course swap out the Audio 20 for full Command, I have found several places that can do that for as little as $1000, but right now even that seems like it is not going to make it possible as apart from that info on the flyer the chap posted in the link you quoted above i have seen zero confirmation of whats really possible or will be possible when it comes to getting the carplay in..

Anyway, when i hear back from MB i'll see what they say, but i see no technical reason it cannot be resolved once the firmware issue is overcome.. and thats what i am really wondering with the 2018 car will this bring a potential resolution

Thanks for your input everyone

Last edited by Mike Lines; 08-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Lines
I did, but it was quite inconclusive, the whole saga is a joke to be honest on MB side.. What I am sure of is that nothing is impossible, maybe today it is because of their lack of ability to write the correct firmware to close the loop on requirements to make it happen, but if the next gen brings with it some updates that might make things possible then its worth exploring..

I can of course swap out the Audio 20 for full Command, I have found several places that can do that for as little as $1000, but right now even that seems like it is not going to make it possible as apart from that info on the flyer the chap posted in the link you quoted above i have seen zero confirmation of whats really possible or will be possible when it comes to getting the carplay in..

Anyway, when i hear back from MB i'll see what they say, but i see no technical reason it cannot be resolved once the firmware issue is overcome.. and thats what i am really wondering with the 2018 car will this bring a potential resolution

Thanks for your input everyone
You keep saying "firmware," but NTG 5*2 is a hardware revision. I think you'd have as much luck retrofitting Bluetooth 5.0 into an iPhone 7.

Good luck with it, though. I'd like to have Android Auto on my '17, too.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 AM

GLC 250
Maybe I am not expressing my thoughts clear enough

I guess the main point is if the 2018 can do it, whats going to be different to the <2017.. If it is different NTG unit, ok, at least it opens potentially possibility to do it.. if if it means an expensive swap of the unit, then OK...

..this is what i'm thinking.. today i have zero options, even if money was no object, so I am hoping that the new model will bring with it some option of some sorts.. even if it costs $1-2k, at least its an option.. (maybe!) Will see what MB tell me.. holding breath...
Old 08-21-2017, 10:59 AM

GLC 250
BTW.. I stumbled accross this post, with an interesting statement (pasted below extract for convenience).

I also just got a call from the dealer that there is something in development and likely to appear around same time or soon after as 2018 models hit the streets, i think in October on wards..

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2617251

----
User #178658 432 posts
xefour
Forum Regular
reference: whrl.pl/ReXX6w
posted 2017-Aug-1, 5:36 pm AEST
I recently sent the CEO of MB in Germany an email explaining my disappointment of the exclusion of Apple CarPlay in a 2017 C Class.

I received a phone call this morning from their HQ explaining that there is a retrofit hardware upgrade in development.
So it is actually coming however..... there is no ETA on it.

They couldn't tell me when but they assured me it is coming.
So I thought I'd share that with the community.
-----
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well...

I guess no one wants to address the 2018 Bear-In-The-Room - why BMW has both wired and Bluetooth CarPlay and why MB (if avail) has wired CarPlay only ?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 AM

GLC 250
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I guess no one wants to address the 2018 Bear-In-The-Room - why BMW has both wired and Bluetooth CarPlay and why MB (if avail) has wired CarPlay only ?
As far as i remember reading it was only BMW that had done the initial partnership with Apple to be the first to market with the BT CarPlay.. The first car to ever have it was the new 5 series which came out few months back i believe.

Anyway, its bound to be buggy as hell for a while, so it might not be such a useful tool, but you're absolutely right that a brand like Mercedes really needs to clean up its act technology wise, they're definitely lagging compared to their German competitors - even basic VW's have better systems!
Old 09-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
anyone has any more recent news on availability for older versions?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 PM

C300
Originally Posted by ramzez
anyone has any more recent news on availability for older versions?
I really wish they find a solution or at least update MB Command to support better the bluetooth features. It's currently a mess connecting devices and streaming maps audio/music.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Just ordered my GLC last week. Was disappointed that currently you can't have Carplay at the same time as premium driver assist package. I picked the Distronic over carplay. I hate when they make you pick!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 PM

GLC43 Coupé
I wonder if carplay retrofit kit such as this one would actually work. In Canada, the 2018 version does not have the smartphone integration package
Old 10-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
Originally Posted by g_tlman
I wonder if carplay retrofit kit such as this one would actually work. In Canada, the 2018 version does not have the smartphone integration package
GLC is not in the list of the supported vehicles. If that was possible it would have been done by now