Rear tires completely worn after 15k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 300
Rear tires completely worn after 15k

Hello,

I just noticed that my gfriend's car rear tires are completely worn. I am so upset. She just got her car back from dealer service a few weeks ago and they didn't mention anything. This kind of negligence is criminal!

I still cannot understand how the tires can wear off so fast and so unevenly. Has anyone else noticed this? This is the passenger rear but driver side is not much better.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc GLC Coupe 250d AMG Line Prem Plus
I have had 3 C classes W204's and now a GLC Coupe, all diesel and all tyres have worn quickly (roughly 10-15k). My dad drives very subtle and still it happens. Even now my GLC tyres after only having the car 3.5 months are looking half worn... :/
Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300, C 300
First shame on the dealer who passed by this safety issue.

Next, I have the time and have always tracked tread depth on both of our cars. On the GLC (Pirelli's) I started with 10/32" and after 15 months/13,000+ miles the remaining two (blew out two, so they were replaced) are down to ~6/32".

2/32" is condemn depth - so I hope (great strategy) that they last another year - I'll probably replace before hitting 2/32". Bridgestone Driveguards are now available in the 19" size so I'll switch to those (have them on our Mini and getting great tread life and comfy ride).

By tracking the tread depth I was able to find the right cold tire pressure to even out wear across the tires. 38 PSI front, 41 PSI rear is what works for me (I'm usually the only person driving, so the car is not loaded down).

I understand not everyone can take the time to document tire tread depth, so again, shame on the service department.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
To me it looks as if the tyre has been driven overinflated because the wear pattern is not symmetrical side to side.
I'm driving a GLE which is quite heavier than the GLC and for 13000 km with 20'' rims and Pirelli's the thread went from 8.5mm to 6mm depth, both front and rear, no tyre rotation for the period.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLC300, 13 PorscheC4S, 12 Porsche Cayman S
Somewhat difficult to tell, but if what I see is the center worn down to the cord and treat depth showing on each shoulder, then this tire was likely grossly overinflated. Agree the dealer should have caught this if it was in for any type of service. Part of what you pay for is inspection of things like this. I would sit down for a discussion with the shop manager.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M235xi
Agree it looks like overinflation. That's your girlfriend's responsibility. If that is what it is, well, lesson learned.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Ggont
Hello,

I just noticed that my gfriend's car rear tires are completely worn. I am so upset. She just got her car back from dealer service a few weeks ago and they didn't mention anything. This kind of negligence is criminal!

I still cannot understand how the tires can wear off so fast and so unevenly. Has anyone else noticed this? This is the passenger rear but driver side is not much better.
Holy cow, that tire is unsafe. Should be replaced - yesterday!!

Agree, appears tire was run overinflated.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 10-04-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by yavor
To me it looks as if the tyre has been driven overinflated because the wear pattern is not symmetrical side to side.
The GLC does have more of a negative camber in the rear, so the wear pattern wouldn't be symmetrical. Other than the life span issue as the OP noted, this is normal where the inner thread wears out more than the outter area.

If those are run-flats in the pictures, then we are talking about tires with much harder rubber than conventional tires. So they are not as long lasting and not as comfy to ride on, but it's crazy that they've gotten all badly worn at only 15k!!

Of course the GLC's somewhat torquey turbo'd motor, over-inflating, and driving style can be of contributing factors as well.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by Gee Spoolin
The GLC does have more of a negative camber in the rear, so the wear pattern wouldn't be symmetrical. Other than the life span issue as the OP noted, this is normal where the inner thread wears out more than the outter area.

If those are run-flats in the pictures, then we are talking about tires with much harder rubber than conventional tires. So they are not as long lasting and not as comfy to ride on, but it's crazy that they've gotten all badly worn at only 15k!!

Of course the GLC's somewhat torquey turbo'd motor, over-inflating, and driving style can be of contributing factors as well.
Ours were worn out at 19,000 miles but the tires were worn out evenly front and back. Just crappy tires.