front licence plate holder options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43AMG
front licence plate holder options

Hi,

Before I have the dealership screw the front licence plate mount to the bumper, I thought I'd see if anyone had come up with any alternatives? On my Jaguar, I was able to use a Sto N Sho but they don't have anything listed for the GLC http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...s-Benz_c18.htm ....and no, we can't just run without a front plate here, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
My state doesn't require front plates, but I'd think that a tow hook mount like
this one this one
would be perfect. Every time I suggest them, however, someone dismisses the idea. Not sure why.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Mid City Engineering has a retractable front license plate holder
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 PM

GLC43AMG
Thanks guys; that tow hook mounted one looks perfect. Ordered.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 10-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by DPelletier
Thanks guys; that tow hook mounted one looks perfect. Ordered.

Cheers,
Dave
I got the same one for my GLC. I was skeptical at first but I love it now. I get a lot of compliments on it.

Last edited by DameMD; 10-12-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM

GLC43AMG
Well, as seems to be the case with this car, that was too easy; the tow hook one doesn't work as it obstructs one of the front parking sensors.......seeing as how these cars come standard with the park sensors and this plate holder is specifically listed for a GLC, I'm a little peeved that they don't tell you that. Not worth the shipping to send back

So, I got mad and went old school; cut and drilled the plate to fit in the lower mesh part of the grill and zap strapped it in place.....cost me about 16 cents,....I should have just done that in the first place.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
jpprice47 (09-25-2022)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Well, as seems to be the case with this car, that was too easy; the tow hook one doesn't work as it obstructs one of the front parking sensors.......seeing as how these cars come standard with the park sensors and this plate holder is specifically listed for a GLC, I'm a little peeved that they don't tell you that. Not worth the shipping to send back

So, I got mad and went old school; cut and drilled the plate to fit in the lower mesh part of the grill and zap strapped it in place.....cost me about 16 cents,....I should have just done that in the first place.

Dave
Parking sensors are not standard on all GLCs in all markets: e.g., the US GLC300 doesn't have parking sensors unless you order the parking assist package.

I guess this tells me why my suggestion made people grumble. They must be the ones with parking sensors.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:46 AM

GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by midesaka
Parking sensors are not standard on all GLCs in all markets: e.g., the US GLC300 doesn't have parking sensors unless you order the parking assist package.

I guess this tells me why my suggestion made people grumble. They must be the ones with parking sensors.
To be clear; I still thank you for the recommendations. The manufacturer should at the very least include a warning on the website that this mount covers the parking sensors. If there are some GLC's without sensors maybe I'll ebay......nah, I'll just leave it in a corner of my garage until I throw it out; I hate selling stuff.

Dave
Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 AM

GLC43AMG
just went back to the site to send a message about it and noticed this comment;
  • Angles to match your bumper and avoid Parking Sensors
....well that's techically true if you don't mind having your plate at a 30 degree angle from horizontal!

Dave
jpprice47 (09-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
I've not seen an aftermarket solution that looks better than the oem one. In fact, with the plate mounted on many of the aftermarket holders, the view is downright ugly. Granted the oem holder requires holes in the bumper but isn't a big deal as they cannot be seen. And the holder will likely be there forever.

At new vehicle delivery, my dealer does not drill required holes until the salesperson gets a verbal ok from the new owner.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 10-25-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:22 PM

GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
I've not seen an aftermarket solution that looks better than the oem one. In fact, with the plate mounted on many of the aftermarket holders the view is downright ugly. Granted the oem holder requires holes in the bumper but isn't a big deal as they cannot be seen. And the holder will likely be there forever.

At new vehicle delivery, my dealer does not drill required holes until the salesperson gets a verbal ok from the new owner.
I agree for the most part but I still have a hard time screwing directly through the painted front bumper cover on a brand new $75,000 GLC43 AMG. They could and should make mounts that don't require drilling a sheet metal screw through a finished painted surface. My solution is a bit unorthodox, but a slight modification to the plate was all that was needed in order to mount it directly below the stock location with zero holes.....most people wouldn't notice the difference but i think it looks better in this location and is tucked in an inch or so so it's less obtrusive. I'll snap a pic when I get a moment

Dave
jpprice47 (09-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Talking

I agree for the most part but I still have a hard time screwing directly through the painted front bumper cover on a brand new $75,000 GLC43 AMG. They could and should make mounts that don't require drilling a sheet metal screw through a finished painted surface. My solution is a bit unorthodox, but a slight modification to the plate was all that was needed in order to mount it directly below the stock location with zero holes.....most people wouldn't notice the difference but i think it looks better in this location and is tucked in an inch or so so it's less obtrusive. I'll snap a pic when I get a moment

Dave
Dave, I couldn't agree more. Standing in the showroom watching holes being inflicted on your brand new Mercedes is most assuredly an OMG jaw clenching moment.

Sounds as though your solution is a good one.

I'd post a photo of my front license plate but don't have one. Couldn't bring myself to drill holes in my Mercedes bumper.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 10-25-2017 at 08:55 PM.
DPelletier (10-26-2017)