GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Dealer won't complete software updates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 AMG GLC43
Question Dealer won't complete software updates?

So, took my 2016 GLC in Monday for the recall services ( 201707002 and 2017080002) and to check front brake vibration.

While there, I asked them to check and complete software updates for a few items mentioned on this website:

Audio 20 Software
Transmission Software update
Headlamp software update

My dealer did NOT complete these updates because, :Customer software updates cannot be covered underw warranty without a verifiable concern".

In effect my Adviser says that unless I have a specific system complaint, that they will not do software updates...

Is this BS or what?

I live in Orange County California, in Laguna Niguel........
Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Mine is a 2017 GLC bought last December. Took my car to House of Imports for updated recall on something about battery connection or fire or whatever it was called and asked him to update the maps and transmission software and whatever else it needed and he told me no will do those updates when you bring in your car for A service. Told him I’m leaving my car till next day so you have time said no we’re busy will do it on service A. So they just did that update for some kind of connection so it wouldn’t catch on fire. 24 hours there and didn’t have time? Been going there for 20 years. New young service guys don’t care most of the good old timers that worked there took good care of the customers but have moved on to greener pastures.
The following users liked this post:
happinessgg (11-19-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by jeffzou
In effect my Adviser says that unless I have a specific system complaint, that they will not do software updates...

Is this BS or what?
Same policy in south MS. I went in for the starter recall (only to find the letter we received actually applied to my wife's E300--both E-class and GLC-class were mentioned in the body, and I didn't verify the VIN; parts are in for the E, but not for the GLC). While I was there, I asked about transmission and headlight software updates. I was having a small issue with the transmission, which they verified before agreeing to do the upgrade. With no issue on the headlights, they wouldn't do that one.

I guess this is a firmware upgrade, and any hiccups during the procedure have a small chance of "bricking" that system. If you can't show that something is not working as intended, best course is to leave it alone. Sort of like the BIOS on your computer: most manufacturers recommend that you don't upgrade it unless you're having problems or need new functionality.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
To get the tranny software mention your car is occasionally clunking when shifting into reverse...unless its not of course, then leave alone.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
To get the tranny software mention your car is occasionally clunking when shifting into reverse...unless its not of course, then leave alone.
any idea what problem the lighting update solves?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
So that you know - a "update" can tie up a diagnostic terminal for 2 1/2-3hrs while the new software is downloaded and installed - it is nowhere even "close" to PC/Mac speed,

Mercedes does NOT pay the dealership to do a software update - however MB does pay the dealership fpr warranty-repairs.

That's the reason - dealer's can't afford to tie up their equipment and tech time - and NOT get paid.

Keep the beat !
Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
That's 100% true, we are not supposed to do updates unless there is a complaint, and we aren't paid for updates under warranty unless they actually address a problem. No tech wants to do it for free just because you want newer software.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 11-09-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
any idea what problem the lighting update solves?
I think it's the problem referenced in this thread.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
That's 100% true, we are not supposed to do updates unless there is a complaint, and we aren't paid for updates under warranty unless they actually address a problem. No tech wants to do it for free just because you want newer software.
Newb question...So, does that mean good luck trying to get the 3 years of navigation map updates unless you complain about not having POI's showing up and/or you are in for some other service? Or is that entirely different and it is a CD/DVD based system where you can request those to basically update the system yourself?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Newb question...So, does that mean good luck trying to get the 3 years of navigation map updates unless you complain about not having POI's showing up and/or you are in for some other service? Or is that entirely different and it is a CD/DVD based system where you can request those to basically update the system yourself?
Map updates are never a warranty issue, unless your terms included free updates to a point (I think the 2015 models got 2 years), most don't, and they are the responsibility of the customer to purchase the updated map discs. We don't supply those, they come from the navigation company, totally separate deal.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
On the "including free 3yr COMAND map updates" - yes - that can happen for "free" - but they should have added "if you specifcally ask about it - and if a newer map version is available" .

Meaning - Mercedes does not have a published schedule when "new" map updates become available - meaning, it's not like "every February" maps are updated.

Also, the Nav version you have in your MB now - and if a newer version is available - none of that shows in either the VMI records and not in the Service check-in screen either -(am I right on that IJoe ?).

As far as I know - it's all a manual/goofy process - I "think" the Service Tech needs to be told to pull up existing Nav Version from your car - then Tech needs to check with Part's if newer version is available (which is in re-usable USB format) - then the Tech has to request a Electronic Authorization code from MBUSA for your specific MB - then the tech installs the updates in your car using the USB-stick and authorization code (am I right about this too IJoe ?)

Keep the beat !
Chrisk03 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
On the "including free 3yr COMAND map updates" - yes - that can happen for "free" - but they should have added "if you specifcally ask about it - and if a newer map version is available" .

Meaning - Mercedes does not have a published schedule when "new" map updates become available - meaning, it's not like "every February" maps are updated.

Also, the Nav version you have in your MB now - and if a newer version is available - none of that shows in either the VMI records and not in the Service check-in screen either -(am I right on that IJoe ?).

As far as I know - it's all a manual/goofy process - I "think" the Service Tech needs to be told to pull up existing Nav Version from your car - then Tech needs to check with Part's if newer version is available (which is in re-usable USB format) - then the Tech has to request a Electronic Authorization code from MBUSA for your specific MB - then the tech installs the updates in your car using the USB-stick and authorization code (am I right about this too IJoe ?)

Keep the beat !
Pretty much.

We (MB) don't produce the maps, they come from the navigation company. They are released whenever they feel like it.

We don't update software versions unless there's a need to. Often, if we have a comand unit brick, we replace it and the new one has newer software, it's happened where we notice changes in the menus and stuff with the new ones. Other times, it's the same. The software updates we do are online based, from the german servers. The nav maps come on USB or disc, depending on the model.
Chrisk03 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
So that you know - a "update" can tie up a diagnostic terminal for 2 1/2-3hrs while the new software is downloaded and installed - it is nowhere even "close" to PC/Mac speed,

Mercedes does NOT pay the dealership to do a software update - however MB does pay the dealership fpr warranty-repairs.

That's the reason - dealer's can't afford to tie up their equipment and tech time - and NOT get paid.

Keep the beat !
Tesla offers updates free and over the air and provides enhancements. What a difference
Old 11-10-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
In Mercedes change from a service + profit model to a profit only model of doing business, they may have eliminated the one aspect of driving a Mercedes that shone above other car companies. I have flashes a few 100,000 computers flash storage systems, from fast to super slow. It's not a pleasure when you are forced to use expensive equipment that gets tied up for multiple hours anyway, but to add more time for non-essential updates becomes frustrating for dealerships as tech staff (they are more techie than ever before now) and kills this new business model fast. Imagine 4 owners demanding multiple hour map updates they may not actually need locking down the repair bays and preventing more serious issues from being fixed. I can see how they may want to filter out requests like this. But as a multiple MB owner we are promised one thing and not receiving the full service we are due especially when updates are dealing with service issues even if not deemed essential. Mercedes using multiple radios, GPS, satellite points of access to deliver high tech solutions, so why not a high speed interface built into every vehicle that allows fast flash updating for recalls, repairs and system updates. Like Tesla, would it not make sense that when a vehicle has a long term decent cellular connection, it receives updates from HQ, stores then until the vehicle is parked (user can choose best timing period) to apply updates or a fast connect port that would allow clients to drive up , connect and update ?The existing methods re trickle slow and ineffective in 2017. If it is a security model they want bot lock down then designing a MB specific method to speed up the delivery is essential. Especially as the mark will be delivering an electrified GLC shortly and those cars require more intelligent systems that require frequent updates. High speed delivery contact plates that could easily be installed in a weather protected parking area, would make contact to a connecting plate under the car (impervious to salt, snow, ice,water) to securely deliverer these transmissions would free up bays yet keep the process locked to authorized dealerships and repair garages that do exclusive MB work. Tesla's system though is super simple and effortless. Maybe they need to patent it and license it to the completion? Just a thought for the future.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
I brought my 2016 GLC to the dealer for its B1 service and when the SA asked me if there have been any irriating or unusual things with it, I brought up again the rather jerky transmission when slowing down and speeding up again, and also some irritating behaviour when listening to music tracks from my iPhone through USB connection....the SA found the software updates for the transmission and for the audio system and happily added them to the service appt (and it seriously took all day to complete)....the transmission is very smooth now and I am not sure if it's my imagination but the steering seems more nimble now than it was before. The lag that started in the last months (likely after an iOS update) when skipping over song tracks is much improved but not perfect....that could be every bit an issue with Apple crappy software releases though. I'm quite happy, again. I would have brought up the one parking light which seems to turn on by itself in the middle of the night (brought it up before, actually), BUT I have not noticed it happening in the last 12 months.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
IGNORE