Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc300 4matic
Car storage-- battery protection

Hi fellows,

I have a question and need help:

How can I protect my glc3oo SUV battery from draining when it is not in use for more than two weeks? I am thinking of a slow charger or simply disconnection of poles. For a slow charger, I worry about over charge and unexpected gas produce, resulting in a dangerous situation inside garage. For disconnecting the poles, I don't know which pole should be removed, negative - or positive + or both together ? And moreover, I don't know if the pole disconnection would affect any parts inside tne suv, such as computer? or gps or other electronic parts?

Thank you very much for any advices.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi,
Depending on your battery current level of charge, you can easily leave it for 2-3 weeks without doing anything. If you did this I would use double tap on lock button on remote to override keyless entry and car searching for connectivity.
If however you have secure parking with power point, a product like ‘Cteck” slow charger will work perfectly. Purchase a model that supports stop start function with AGM battery conditioning. These units will cycle through and bring battery to full charge then go into trickle mode to ensure no overcharging.
It is advisable to use one of these , say every 6 months over a few days to recondition your battery and extend its useful life.
Hope this helps
You can close bonnet and lock car whilst it is charging. Just be careful how you connect to the red positive slide and the brass bolt for earth connection.
The following users liked this post:
Benlee (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
When "not using" for two weeks - all you need to do is remove the Keyless Go Button - that turns off the "ears" so to speak - no need for trickle-dickle
Benlee (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
When "not using" for two weeks - all you need to do is remove the Keyless Go Button - that turns off the "ears" so to speak - no need for trickle-dickle
Yes, well said. That works even better - helps to keep it simple.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
To back up what everyone said, you're fine for two weeks. I left mine off charger in the middle of a super cold winter for almost six. She started right up. Start/Stop functionality was offline for about 2-3 days until things recharged there - but otherwise no issue. When I got back, I drove in sport mode to keep the revs up and help it charge more.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:22 PM

Glc300 4matic
Originally Posted by Teckno
Hi,
Depending on your battery current level of charge, you can easily leave it for 2-3 weeks without doing anything. If you did this I would use double tap on lock button on remote to override keyless entry and car searching for connectivity.
If however you have secure parking with power point, a product like ‘Cteck” slow charger will work perfectly. Purchase a model that supports stop start function with AGM battery conditioning. These units will cycle through and bring battery to full charge then go into trickle mode to ensure no overcharging.
It is advisable to use one of these , say every 6 months over a few days to recondition your battery and extend its useful life.
Hope this helps
You can close bonnet and lock car whilst it is charging. Just be careful how you connect to the red positive slide and the brass bolt for earth connection.

Hi fellow,

Thank you very much for your advice. Really helpful.

My SUV is 2019 glc300 4matic, so the battery is still fully charged. I might park my car inside garage without using for more than 4 weeks this time. Double tap on lock button on remote still works go for my battery? Is "double tap" the same as to disable/remove the KEYLEE GO ?
For a trickle charger, is there any specific rating for my SUV? Or any kind of trickle with start/stop function can work?

Thank you again

Best regards,

Ben
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Glc300 4matic
Hi fellow,

Thank you very much for your advice, really helpful.

I might park my car inside garage without using for more than four weeks this time. REMOVE the KEYLESS GO BUTTON still works? And how to remove the KEYLESS GO BUTTON please?

Thank you again

Best regards,

Ben Lee
Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Benlee
Hi fellow,

Thank you very much for your advice. Really helpful.

My SUV is 2019 glc300 4matic, so the battery is still fully charged. I might park my car inside garage without using for more than 4 weeks this time. Double tap on lock button on remote still works go for my battery? Is "double tap" the same as to disable/remove the KEYLEE GO ?
For a trickle charger, is there any specific rating for my SUV? Or any kind of trickle with start/stop function can work?

Thank you again

Best regards,

Ben
Here is some data on CTEK charger, various models to choose.

Details

The MXS 5.0 comes with automatic temperature compensation for the best charging performance, even in extreme conditions.

The MXS 5.0 is an advanced microprocessor controlled battery charger which gives unrivalled performance for lead acid batteries from 1.2-110Ah. It comes with automatic temperature compensation built in which ensures the best charging performance, even in the most extreme conditions.

The MXS 5.0 also includes battery diagnosis to establish whether your battery can receive and retain a charge, patented automatic desulphation program, an AGM option which maximises the performance life of most Stop/Start batteries and a special Recond mode for reconditioning deeply discharged batteries. The MXS 5.0 uses CTEK’s patented float/pulse system, which is the most efficient maintenance mode when a battery is connected for long periods
  • Fully automatic ‘connect and forget’ 8 step 12V charging
  • Smaller battery, normal battery, AGM and Recond programs
  • Built in automatic temperature compensation
  • Patented float/pulse maintenance for batteries up to 160Ah

The MXS 5.0 is middle of the road for features and price.
Having a 2019 car or battery is no guarantee of batter fully charged, often battery is ‘tired’ even when new when car delivered. Some dealers do not top up battery to full pre delivery.
Double tap should work, but I would prefer the other recommendation of removing stop start button.
this is easy, gently put fingers into small recess and pull out evenly - then store in safe place, in house or even in centre console or drink holder.
good luck.
Benlee (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The GLC Keyless Go button simply pulls straight out.. removing the button shuts down the keyless go function on the GLC so it will go into deep sleep when left unattended.

The Keyless Go button should also be removed anytime you are going to "hook up" a charger - or pulled when you are going to plug in AC on a pre-connected charger

The keyless fob's can be shutdown - all that does is conserve battery life for the fob's..
The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
Benlee (06-18-2019), Citizen613 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
[QUOTE=fabbrisd1;7780995
The Keyless Go button should also be removed anytime you are going to "hook up" a charger - or pulled when you are going to plug in AC on a pre-connected charger.[/QUOTE]

Why? I connect even my "daily" drivers to CTEKs any time cars are parked. I do not remove keyless go buttons, is it a problem? So far I have no issues.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by threeMBs

Why? I connect even my "daily" drivers to CTEKs any time cars are parked. I do not remove keyless go buttons, is it a problem? So far I have no issues.

+1 on the "why" question. I regularly use a CTEK to ensure the GLC battery is fully charged. I have never pulled the keyless go button and can't understand any reason why you would do so.
Ken Doo (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 AM

Glc300 4matic
The GLC Keyless Go button simply pulls straight out.. removing the button shuts down the keyless go function on the GLC so it will go into deep sleep when left unattended.

The Keyless Go button should also be removed anytime you are going to "hook up" a charger - or pulled when you are going to plug in AC on a pre-connected charger

The keyless fob's can be shutdown - all that does is conserve battery life for the fob's..
Hi fellows,

Thank you very much for your advice. Great help!

Best regards
Ben Lee
Old 06-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C300 4Matic, 2009 Boxster

How do you shut down the key fobs? My spare key fob battery seems to die just as quickly as the regular one. Use a battery maintainer, not a trickle charger. I use on another car which has live auxiliary ports. Are the GLC aux ports always live? My Autostop almost never works in the Winter, which I understand, but was not working this Spring. Had the dealer check. Said it had an old low battery code, so plan on getting a second battery maintainer for next winter. My experience is Autostop seldom works if you are using the heater, but works when using the AC. It will restart if you sit too long.