GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

2023 GLC will not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 08:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2023 Mercedes GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Lemon laws are individual to each state. I am sorry however I must ask, why would you buy a second GLC if the first one was so horrible? Perhaps there is a way you can incorporate the loss you’ve taken on your first one into the litigation you will need to open for the second one. Stay away from your MB dealer when you shop for your new car, hopefully immediately after MB buys back your current vehicle. BTW if you buy a third one, I believe you would be eligible for the Guinness Book of Records. I’ve never heard of anyone ever owning 2 Edsels. I honestly wish you well, I know 2 people who are experiencing issues with their GLC , however, they are hopeful that their issues have been resolved. Time will tell, I too would have no confidence in a new GLC. Again, best of luck newglcdriver
I bought a second one b/c I honestly really like the car, checks all the boxes for me and was thinking I just got a bad, glitchy one the first go around. I'd never in a million years think that I'd have problems with brand new GLC #2 too! But here I am. Update: got my car back this AM from dealer who said powertrain control unit module reprogram has fixed the issue. We shall see but I still don't trust it as far as I can drive it. I'm hesitant to go anywhere too far as I always have to wonder will I be stranded, will the car be safe to drive if more error messages pop up?
Old 08-12-2023, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by KrayzieVetteGLC
you should have contacted a lawyer, not traded it in. These are open and shut cases. As soon as I showed my attorney the paperwork, he took the case and it costs you nothing. These cars are so bad that I could have had everything finished in a matter of a week or 2, but I did give MB the benefit of the doubt and tried to still let them fix it, but that was a mistake. Now I'm stuck driving around a base model GLA while making GLC payments until MB finally gives up and takes their loaner back since I don't want the GLC back anymore and will be refusing their settlement offer. Just get your check and move on.
I have a case open with MB corporate for this second one I just bought. I'm going to contact my case manager next week since my car is now out of the shop and see what she says. I still want a buyback even though mine has not reached lemon law status yet (my state is 3 times for same issue within first year) or it has to be in the shop for 14 days straight getting worked on. Mine was in the shop for 4 days for this issue but I don't even have 500 miles on the odometer yet so for there to be any issues already that require 4 days in the shop with a new car like this is just insane to me.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by chassis
GLC problems will not be sorted by the end of the year, or ever. MB is garbage: new car delivered quality, medium-term reliability (during warranty period) and customer non-care from clowns (dealers). Read all about it everywhere, including this thread (and many more).

BMW X3 is a great car in this segment, as are the Genesis and Mazda offerings.
After I find out where my case with MB corporate goes and what, if any, offers they provide me I think I'll be looking at an X3. I just read BMW got top spot for reliable car brand w/Consumer Reports and X3 seems to be highly rated reliability wise. Interiors are kind of blah and not as nice as Benz but at this point reliability is more important.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-12-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Originally Posted by newglcdriver
After I find out where my case with MB corporate goes and what, if any, offers they provide me I think I'll be looking at an X3. I just read BMW got top spot for reliable car brand w/Consumer Reports and X3 seems to be highly rated reliability wise. Interiors are kind of blah and not as nice as Benz but at this point reliability is more important.
Just FYI, if the GLC is making you nervous, I totally get it. BUT think twice about current gen X3. It can absolutely leave you stranded. I know from personal experience. And it required nothing in the way of software updates, but actual hardware (wiring loom and ground and wires coming in contact with actual driveshaft) problems were discovered. That made me seriously question the assembly line in South Carolina so I sold it. No new car should have actual hardware issues that serious but also that easily fixable and noticeable at various QC checks.

Basically X3 wouldn't start. And its got a digistick shifter too, so wouldn't get into Neutral, so tow-truck had to drag it up on the flatbed, all four wheels squealing along the way.

Hope the GLC software gets fixed for everyone ASAP!! The car seems to have such promise. Too bad the rollout has been so bad so far.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Funny, the G01 (currrent model) X3 has been widely praised by owners and reviewers. Every car has problems. The important point is the prevalence of them.

When a wider view is taken, it can be seen that MB is a producer of junk, serviced by junk dealers. And that BMW is in a golden age with its products and its business.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by spyked
Just FYI, if the GLC is making you nervous, I totally get it. BUT think twice about current gen X3. It can absolutely leave you stranded. I know from personal experience. And it required nothing in the way of software updates, but actual hardware (wiring loom and ground and wires coming in contact with actual driveshaft) problems were discovered. That made me seriously question the assembly line in South Carolina so I sold it. No new car should have actual hardware issues that serious but also that easily fixable and noticeable at various QC checks.

Basically X3 wouldn't start. And its got a digistick shifter too, so wouldn't get into Neutral, so tow-truck had to drag it up on the flatbed, all four wheels squealing along the way.

Hope the GLC software gets fixed for everyone ASAP!! The car seems to have such promise. Too bad the rollout has been so bad so far.
What model year X3 did you have? The '23 is rated one of the most reliable luxury suv by consumer reports this year. All the reviews I'm seeing seem very positive....haven't really read about problem after problem with the '23 X3 like with the '23 GLCs. I know there can be lemons with any brand and some issues but issues w/new cars really shouldn't be happening right when you get them. I've never had that happen even with gently used cars like Audi's I've had in the past. This GLC has been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and that's pretty bad seeing as I've only been driving it about a month.
chassis (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 08:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What model year X3 did you have? The '23 is rated one of the most reliable luxury suv by consumer reports this year. All the reviews I'm seeing seem very positive....haven't really read about problem after problem with the '23 X3 like with the '23 GLCs. I know there can be lemons with any brand and some issues but issues w/new cars really shouldn't be happening right when you get them. I've never had that happen even with gently used cars like Audi's I've had in the past. This GLC has been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and that's pretty bad seeing as I've only been driving it about a month.
Head over to bimmerpost and read the G01 X3 threads and ask a few questions. Lots of helpful owners over there.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 471 Likes on 348 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
It’s unfortunate the X3 has such a low rent interior, right back seats, and that I’m not a fan of the iDrive UI. As for BMW being in their golden age, have you see. The styling recently?
Old 08-14-2023, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
I had a 2021 X3 xDrive30i. Don't get me wrong, it was a fine car. But with the starter motor wiring literally falling out and contacting the driveshaft, along with warping brake rotors, I just didn't feel it was very...."high-end" if that makes any sense. But obviously not nearly as many problems as these new GLCs it seems. My point was that dumping one car for another for quality issues isn't always going to make everything perfect. Maybe if you got a Lexus? but going from one German to another can often be more of the same.

I hope the GLCs get better in 2024/2025 and get some better configurations in North America so I can consider one. I don't like that you can't get a loaded one without a panoramic roof (at least based on what I've seen on that ground).
Old 08-14-2023, 09:29 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
BMW golden age ???

Originally Posted by chassis
Funny, the G01 (currrent model) X3 has been widely praised by owners and reviewers. Every car has problems. The important point is the prevalence of them.

When a wider view is taken, it can be seen that MB is a producer of junk, serviced by junk dealers. And that BMW is in a golden age with its products and its business.
While the x3 is certainly more reliable than the GLC , at this point any car would be. MB quality has apparently diminished and will not improve until they hit rock bottom. As far as BMW , their cars look old and are a generation behind in styling. When you make the same vehicle year after year the reliability will naturally improve, Lexus is the perfect example of that. My son has an x3 that is 2 years old and has had no issues. It looks the same as models several years older and several years newer. If at the early part of next year, if it is not significantly restyled he will look elsewhere. No one wants a new car that looks old and tired. I’ve owned several BMWs as well as several MB vehicles and I have been fortunate with both brands. Everything about this new GLC has been a disaster, it’s release and now it’s lack of quality/ reliability. MB must now stand behind this vehicle and assure the owners that anything and everything that is wrong will be corrected to the customer’s satisfaction.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC x254
Originally Posted by slashante
Hi all. The same issue happened this morning to my brand new GLC x254 220d with 1500km done so far.
I have a suspect that it is something linked to the 12/48 batteries SoC management. This morning I "played" a bit with the radio and the seat positioning, afterwards I did a short trip, and, at the second key cycle, this is what I found:

https://youtu.be/c8HA9V9Kdkk

I called the ME sos and they sent me a technician from the nearest dealer, who tried different power cycles without succeeding till he unplugged the 12V battery in the trunk. And.. the car started again without errors. They drove the vehicle to the dealer without issue and it's now under service.
I don't think it's anything hardware, it seems like a SW bug in managing the state of charge between the two batteries. Quite disappointing from such a MB car.
I'll keep you posted.

I got back the car from the workshop. They did a couple of SW updates on the brake and PT control units. Asked a direct question "did you find the issue?", there was not a clear reply, claiming that there might still be an issue coming from the 48V battery and asked if I want to change it. Tbh, my GLC was assembled the first week of Jule, so I do not believe that any other battery in the warehouse would be any different from the one currently installed in the car. So, I declined.

I made 200km+ in these days and no issue so far, let's see..

Last edited by slashante; 08-15-2023 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2023, 01:59 PM

Update on my progress with MB Corporate- received call from my case manager that the upper mgmt made a decision that mine does not qualify for a buyback yet, according to my state lemon laws and they also did not offer me anything else other than to say I will be supported through warranty work as needed. What a joke! The fact that warranty work is needed on a car that has less than 500 miles is absurd. I let them know I'd be telling everyone to never buy a MB and they've lost a customer for life unless my dealer can work out a trade in deal for me into another model vehicle that doesn't involve me taking the usual trade in depreciation hit.

That being said, what year and model MB would be considered more/most reliable if my dealer can work something out ? 2023 or 2024 GLE? 2023 or 2024 GLB?

Last edited by newglcdriver; 08-15-2023 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 GLC 300
Update on my progress with MB Corporate- received call from my case manager that the upper mgmt made a decision that mine does not qualify for a buyback yet, according to my state lemon laws and they also did not offer me anything else other than to say I will be supported through warranty work as needed. What a joke! The fact that warranty work is needed on a car that has less than 500 miles is absurd. I let them know I'd be telling everyone to never buy a MB and they've lost a customer for life unless my dealer can work out a trade in deal for me into another model vehicle that doesn't involve me taking the usual trade in depreciation hit.

That being said, what year and model MB would be considered more/most reliable if my dealer can work something out ? 2023 or 2024 GLE? 2023 or 2024 GLB?
you NEED to get a lawyer. They always say you dont qualify. There is no downside to a lawyer since they have to pay those fees as well. They didnt give 2 ****s until my lawyer got involved.
Same thing with my friend and his ford focus a few years back. Told him to get lost basically until a lawyer got involved.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:46 PM

GLC NIGHTMARE

You must be the aggressor, they are hoping that you will just go away and that your dealer can take it from here. You bought 2 ****boxes, was nice enough to trade one in and absorb a hefty loss, and now the builder of those boxes will not step forward and make it right for you. They will follow the path of least resistance, if you get a lawyer then you’ve created resistance for them, and only then does buying back their load become their easiest option. Please view them as your adversary because they are certainly not your friend. Good luck..
Old 08-17-2023, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC X254
GLC will not start

Originally Posted by Nevab
I purchased a 2023 GLC two weeks ago and twice it has not started. When I open the door, it starts beeping and flashing a screen saying the parking brake is not on. When I push the start button, the engine makes a noise like it is trying to turn over and the car scrolls through a series of messages regarding all the functions that are not working, says the 12v system has failed, the vehicle is inoperative and do not change the transmission. The car keeps beeping and flashing messages for several minutes and then shuts down. After a few minutes, it will start normally. Anyone else having this experience? Ideas?
Hello,
I had a weird issue, not sure it's similar but it leads to the vehicule not starting.
I try to unlock the car. All the doors except the driver door unlock. I decide to open the passenger door, and open the driver door from inside which works. I then enter, but the screens stay off. I hear the welcoming sound though. I put my foot on the break and try to start the car. I hear a quick bip coming from behind, the car doesn't start, and suddenly the wipers turn on, my phone connects with the car and starts the musique, but the screens are still off, the ambient lighting turns on as well. At that point, the car doesn't respond to the key anymore, doesn't lock or unlock.
I leave it like that, and after an hour or 2, I'm able to unlock it normally (driver door as well), and start it normally.
It happened to me 3 times, now it's in their hands, and it works normally, they don't seem to have found the origin of the issue. I will meet with the director of the dealership next week to find a solution, probably will try to ask for a new one (another model?).
Have you ever experienced that? It was as if not unlocking the driver door caused it to go on some sort of security mode, with wipers on, preventing you from starting it and not answering the key anymore. Could it be an issue with the connection between the key and the drivers door?

Thank you!
Old 08-17-2023, 08:25 PM

If dealer or MB will buy back my '23 and I can get a super deal on a '22 is it worth it to go backward a bit in the tech for the sake of a more reliable car or does the '22 have just as many issues too ?
Old 08-17-2023, 09:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 GLC 300
If dealer or MB will buy back my '23 and I can get a super deal on a '22 is it worth it to go backward a bit in the tech for the sake of a more reliable car or does the '22 have just as many issues too ?
the dealer isnt buying your car back. MB is.
Old 08-19-2023, 12:13 PM

2023 GLC 300

I heard back as well, and they told me the same thing. We provided you a loaner, no compensation for the month it was in the shop, and we won’t be buying it back. After the star was replaced, I haven’t had any issues, and I’m just waiting on the next issue. I’ll be getting an attorney.

Update: check engine light is now on...... it's always a surprise with this car!

Last edited by medic8185; 08-19-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by medic8185
I heard back as well, and they told me the same thing. We provided you a loaner, no compensation for the month it was in the shop, and we won’t be buying it back. After the star was replaced, I haven’t had any issues, and I’m just waiting on the next issue. I’ll be getting an attorney.

Update: check engine light is now on...... it's always a surprise with this car!
Welp, Mercedes problems will no longer be my problems! Happy to say as of this weekend I am now a BMW owner! Let's hope I have a better experience with this brand. I'll be curious to hear how everyone else resolves their issues, if they're troopers and stick with their GLC's or get so fed up they just trade them in like I did for something else. Luckily I was able to negotiate a deal that would have been like Mercedes buying back my GLC based on what I got for the trade and $$ off sticker price of the BMW. I think the only hit I may have to take is the dealer doc fee from Mercedes dealer but I might see if they can at least refund that to me since they won't have to deal with me pursuing this buyback anymore.
chassis (08-20-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 09:03 AM

Welp, Mercedes problems will no longer be my problems! Happy to say as of this weekend I am now a BMW owner! Let's hope I have a better experience with this brand. I'll be curious to hear how everyone else resolves their issues, if they're troopers and stick with their GLC's or get so fed up they just trade them in like I did for something else. Luckily I was able to negotiate a deal that would have been like Mercedes buying back my GLC based on what I got for the trade and $$ off sticker price of the BMW. I think the only hit I may have to take is the dealer doc fee from Mercedes dealer but I might see if they can at least refund that to me since they won't have to deal with me pursuing this buyback anymore.
First of all I want to wish you good luck with your new Bimmer. Did you purchase the X3 or another model? Secondly, I’m curious if you traded in your GLC to the BMW or Mercedes dealer? Does this mean that you traded in 2 GLCs? Hopefully you traded it in to the BMW dealer so you only had to pay tax on the difference between the two vehicles . Realistically, if you kept the GLC it would always be a vehicle that you would never have confidence in, let us know how you enjoy your BMW.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce1023
First of all I want to wish you good luck with your new Bimmer. Did you purchase the X3 or another model? Secondly, I’m curious if you traded in your GLC to the BMW or Mercedes dealer? Does this mean that you traded in 2 GLCs? Hopefully you traded it in to the BMW dealer so you only had to pay tax on the difference between the two vehicles . Realistically, if you kept the GLC it would always be a vehicle that you would never have confidence in, let us know how you enjoy your BMW.
Thank you, fingers crossed I have better luck with this one. So far, so good in the few days I have had it! I ended up getting an X5 X40i instead of the X3. It has plenty of pep for me and am enjoying the additional horse power in this vs GLC. Not that the GLC was slow, it actually seemed to have plenty of passing power in its own right it's just that from a stop this thing is much quicker. Also, it still has physical buttons for climate and non hepatic controls which I am enjoying this back to basics of those features. Hopefully less electronic gidgets and gadgets means it will give me less problems. Yes, I traded in both GLC's so got that tax benefit you mentioned.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
21 c43
Welp I return with semi unfortunate news. 3rd issue (and counting) with this car. Have received about 6 critically low battery messages since delivery on 6/17 (one of them was in the showroom but figured it was because people were opening and closing the doors as it had a bow on it and was left unlocked in the showroom (not sure why though). Anyway it went away after driving it home and app showed charged. However kept coming back every week or so.

Car is driven maybe twice a week for at least an hour. This should not be happening. No interior/exterior lights left on, radio, etc. Got another critically low starter battery notification today, accessed the hidden service menu and it showed SOC (state of charge) at 30%. Turned on car left it running for 15ish minutes and it charged to 70%. However wouldn’t go over. Noticed this also fluctuates as you drive, meaning it can decrease to 65% and then go back up to 68%. Thought this was abnormal so brought it into service today.

Tech said he noticed 2 control systems being on despite the car being “asleep”. It is left unlocked in the garage but this uses significantly less battery than if it were locked as tow away protection and interior motion sensor and other systems aren’t activated. Key is brought inside the house 40ish feet away from the garage so it’s not a proximity issue. He also said there were some software updates (not open recalls/campaigns) for the canbus controller and he did a manual update on the parking sensor module.

Will report updates in a week or so. Hope it fixed this. Worth noting that the battery still hasn’t gone over 70% SOC. When off, voltage is right around 12, when turning on its 14.5 for 10ish seconds then goes to 13 and stays there despite rpm or speed. FWIW, I checked the menu on my 2021 c43 and when off it’s 12 but running it’s always at or above 14. When in first or second gear it’s 14 but once I’m moving it goes up to around 14.6-14.7. I chalked this up to the 48v mild hybrid system on the GLC but who knows could be a bad battery.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:31 PM

2013 C-Class 350 Sedan
I thought we are not supposed to keep the key fob in the car when not in use, as the vehicle constantly pings it to allow the vehicle to operate, therefore, causing your fob and vehicle batteries to drain?
Old 08-23-2023, 03:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
21 c43
Originally Posted by AgilityControl
I thought we are not supposed to keep the key fob in the car when not in use, as the vehicle constantly pings it to allow the vehicle to operate, therefore, causing your fob and vehicle batteries to drain?
My dad had a 2019 e450. Left the key in the cupholder every night. When he got in the car in the morning it would take 5 seconds to start, you’d hear the sensors around the car looking for the key and a “place key in marked place” message would appear on the dash. To counteract this, you just had to pick up the key and put it back down, then it started right away. The key has a motion sensor inside that turns it off after about 5 minutes of inactivity to preserve the key battery

The tech said there was only one module on that car but there is a second module on the GLC that has a more sophisticated proximity system, although I don’t really buy that. Like I said in my last post, the key was nowhere near the car so it was definitely buggy software that drained the battery
AgilityControl (08-23-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
2023 (X254) GLC300 RWD White
Originally Posted by AgilityControl
I leave my smart key hanging on the steering wheel overnight & during the day when in the garage. It also hangs there when the other drive takes the car for a spin and she stops at the store using her own key to lock & unlock the car while shopping. NEVER had any problems. Did a quick search of the 2023 SUV, 300 manual and the only thing I saw was keep the smartkey away from a strong magnetic source.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2023 GLC will not start