GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

2023 GLC will not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 08:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
Originally Posted by dcarfora77
”. It is left unlocked in the garage but this uses significantly less battery than if it were locked as tow away protection and interior motion sensor and other systems aren’t activated.
My battery warnings went away when I turned off the interior motion sensors.
But I wonder about leaving it unlocked since the app is not happy with that and gives me a warning.
The following users liked this post:
ralawren (10-17-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
My dad had a 2019 e450. Left the key in the cupholder every night. When he got in the car in the morning it would take 5 seconds to start, you’d hear the sensors around the car looking for the key and a “place key in marked place” message would appear on the dash. To counteract this, you just had to pick up the key and put it back down, then it started right away. The key has a motion sensor inside that turns it off after about 5 minutes of inactivity to preserve the key battery

The tech said there was only one module on that car but there is a second module on the GLC that has a more sophisticated proximity system, although I don’t really buy that. Like I said in my last post, the key was nowhere near the car so it was definitely buggy software that drained the battery
The preserve key battery is good and it also helps prevent relay car attacks.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by newglcdriver
What model year X3 did you have? The '23 is rated one of the most reliable luxury suv by consumer reports this year. All the reviews I'm seeing seem very positive....haven't really read about problem after problem with the '23 X3 like with the '23 GLCs. I know there can be lemons with any brand and some issues but issues w/new cars really shouldn't be happening right when you get them. I've never had that happen even with gently used cars like Audi's I've had in the past. This GLC has been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and that's pretty bad seeing as I've only been driving it about a month.
@newglcdriver First of all, sorry to hear that you are dealing with this, not defending any brand for that matter but just want to spit some facts in here, X254 GLC's first model year is 2023 and the G01 X3 first came out as a 2017 model year or slightly earlier or slightly later and it went through facelift, that was back in 2020 as a 2021 model year if I recalled correctly. It is nearing the end of the generation for that model (it is usually 7 years before an all new model comes out and you half that to know when facelift comes out, which is exactly what happened for MB the previous generation, X253 GLC) so any issues and problems the G01 X3 did ever had would had been sorted, again not defending MB but facts is the X254 GLC being the first model year never had a chance to have any issues discovered by consumers and reported and therefore fixed.

The 48V stuff is a dud though, when it doesn't work on MBs, but there are still happy owners that have a working 48V system on MBs and appreciates what it brings to the table, whether it is the seamless start stop, no starter noise and engine fires right up, helps with turbo lag, etc. just to name a thing.

Really hope they get these problems sorted soon, but if the past is any indication, the best bet is when facelift X254 comes out, it will be reliable. No, that is not a positive thing (or anything for MB to brag about) that you need to wait a few years but that is how it is from what I seen.

I don't recommend buying first model year cars for reasons of reliability, higher upfront price (including interest/money factor, some options not yet available until subsequent model years) and higher depreciation compared to subsequent model years, but some still do because they want the newest thing and technology that MB has to offer.

If you don't care for tech you wouldn't be looking at MBs, Porsche for example cares about driving experience, tech is second nature (you get an audi if you want technology or for some they consider those gimmicks), in fact the technology feels ancient in a Porsche, only right now 2024 Cayenne has a full digital screen (good or bad, really depends on the customer). Porsche feels closer to Lexus in terms of technology being outdated. Maybe it is a good thing, less things that can go wrong, and those who buy Porsche only really care about the driving experience not the technology, there are literally nothing to set in PCM (Porsche Communication Management), there are only like 3 menus while MB has quadruple plus of that. Back to MB for a second, many forum members in the G-wagen forum also prefer the COMAND over MBUX (see the other thread), different things for different folks, the G is also at a league of its own and it doesn't need "gimmicks" like an illuminated grille star.

There are exceptions though to the first model year "rule", when it comes to MB and other car manufacturers though with the launch of a new model and new generation, first model year, but sadly, the X254 isn't it.

Either way, if you do choose to stick with MB, get last generation GLC (they can be had so much cheaper now too) or you could always switch to a different brand, always go through the reviews of the models you are looking for first.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

I am going to add that if you think of the brands in the smartphone world. MB is like Android with all the features and customizations while Porsche is Apple, BMW is more on the Apple side but still have some Android-bess to it. Audi is too Android. Come to think of it, it is amazing how the Volkswagen Group is able to have so many personalities in so many different brands, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, etc.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Welp, Mercedes problems will no longer be my problems! Happy to say as of this weekend I am now a BMW owner! Let's hope I have a better experience with this brand. I'll be curious to hear how everyone else resolves their issues, if they're troopers and stick with their GLC's or get so fed up they just trade them in like I did for something else. Luckily I was able to negotiate a deal that would have been like Mercedes buying back my GLC based on what I got for the trade and $$ off sticker price of the BMW. I think the only hit I may have to take is the dealer doc fee from Mercedes dealer but I might see if they can at least refund that to me since they won't have to deal with me pursuing this buyback anymore.
Hmmm I really need to keep up with the posts but congrats, Glad you didn't wait for the all new X3 that is coming next year, because the cycle might repeat again. Your 2023 X3 is now the last model year (if not almost last) of the generation and most if not all issues are sorted out.

Edit: Nevermind you got the X5, that is an upgrade from GLC, the G05 just went through facelift too, so it is likely reliable.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 08-26-2023 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Nevermind you got the X5, that is an upgrade from GLC.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2023 Mercedes GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm I really need to keep up with the posts but congrats, Glad you didn't wait for the all new X3 that is coming next year, because the cycle might repeat again. Your 2023 X3 is now the last model year (if not almost last) of the generation and most if not all issues are sorted out.

Edit: Nevermind you got the X5, that is an upgrade from GLC, the G05 just went through facelift too, so it is likely reliable.
Yes, I got a '23 X5. I know the '24 have been rolling out now at dealers and those have had some updates compared to the '23. That's why I went for a '23 instead of a '24 figured it might be more reliable.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, I got a '23 X5. I know the '24 have been rolling out now at dealers and those have had some updates compared to the '23. That's why I went for a '23 instead of a '24 figured it might be more reliable.
I mean you can't really go wrong with either in that case because both are part of the same generation, 24 is just the facelift, I do hope you did get an even bigger discount on the 2023 since the facelift is already out like you mentioned which also affects the value of your 2023.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I mean you can't really go wrong with either in that case because both are part of the same generation, 24 is just the facelift, I do hope you did get an even bigger discount on the 2023 since the facelift is already out like you mentioned which also affects the value of your 2023.
MY24's have iDrive 8.0 which has been a bit more issue prone with its software. The 50e Plug-Ins as well have their fare share of issues on the forums, the 40i however seems to be the best pick.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by js_cls
MY24's have iDrive 8.0 which has been a bit more issue prone with its software. The 50e Plug-Ins as well have their fare share of issues on the forums, the 40i however seems to be the best pick.
Did not know there were issues with the infotainment, was the software crashing or was it something else causing issues?
Old 08-26-2023, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Did not know there were issues with the infotainment, was the software crashing or was it something else causing issues?
Not sure in particular, but there have been some freezing and reboots needed. iDrive 7.0 was also buggy upon its release, so pretty par for the course. Otherwise the X5 is pretty much settled on issues (aside from the PHEV). Newer platforms like the 7er and XM seem to be suffering more issues outside of software, the XM especially has been a service nightmare for BMW with consistant CEL's, and issues with the hybrid powertrain.
chassis (08-29-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 04:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by js_cls
Not sure in particular, but there have been some freezing and reboots needed. iDrive 7.0 was also buggy upon its release, so pretty par for the course. Otherwise the X5 is pretty much settled on issues (aside from the PHEV). Newer platforms like the 7er and XM seem to be suffering more issues outside of software, the XM especially has been a service nightmare for BMW with consistant CEL's, and issues with the hybrid powertrain.
I see, that is a shame because the XM buyers should had been the most loyal BMW customers if they shell out that much when they can get a Urus, etc. Yet they let them down.

I guess the common theme here across MB and BMW is that both German brands haven't perfected hybridization/electrification yet, at least not to the extent that can be dependable.
Old 08-29-2023, 06:48 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 GLC 300
Still cant get my car back. Been almost 3 months now. Sick of this stupid zero option base GLA loaner. just want this over.

whatever you do, do not settle for them to “fix” it. Because they can’t.

Mercedes doesn’t care about loyalty either. We have a Maybach, they still don’t give a ****. Never buying a Mercedes again.

dealer says the car is “unsafe” for the road, so they won’t release it and when i try to get them to buy it back, it gets stuck in “call you back” limbo. I even have a lawyer and they are stalling like crazy. My coworker had hers towed AGAIN from work last week.

This can’t end well for them.

Last edited by KrayzieVetteGLC; 08-29-2023 at 06:55 PM.
chassis (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 06:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
21 c43
Originally Posted by KrayzieVetteGLC
Still cant get my car back. Been almost 3 months now. Sick of this stupid zero option base GLA loaner. just want this over.

whatever you do, do not settle for them to “fix” it. Because they can’t.
Agreed, critically low battery message came back today. Car will be going back in this week
Old 08-30-2023, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC x254
Agreed, critically low battery message came back today. Car will be going back in this week
Do you already have the latest PTCU software?
Old 08-30-2023, 07:10 AM

21 c43
Originally Posted by slashante
Do you already have the latest PTCU software?
Yes, the car wouldn’t start but now it does. Had an issue with the AC and occupant reminder system but that hasn’t popped back up. Only seems to be systems keeping the car awake when it’s off
Old 08-30-2023, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
I purchased a GLC300 brand new on August14th. For the past week or so I have been getting check engine lights pretty much every other day, stays on all day and seems to reset at night. Haven't really had any problems with actually starting the car yet, but this does have me concerned. Took it to the dealer, and they said everything is fine. Woke up today, another check engine light. Not even sure what to do now.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes GLC, 2021 BMW X3
I had a similar but slightly different issues. After 2 weeks, got check engine light. Took it in to dealer , they checked it out and said loose gas cap (which is a common cause of check engine). Light went out. 3 days later came back on again and took it to dealer. Took them 3 days of diagnostics but said it was charcoal canister on fuel gas vent to catalytic converter. Dealer had to order one from Germany. Put it on and no check engine light since (been 2 weeks)...
Old 08-30-2023, 11:04 AM

21 c43
Originally Posted by GLCDriver123
I purchased a GLC300 brand new on August14th. For the past week or so I have been getting check engine lights pretty much every other day, stays on all day and seems to reset at night. Haven't really had any problems with actually starting the car yet, but this does have me concerned. Took it to the dealer, and they said everything is fine. Woke up today, another check engine light. Not even sure what to do now.
Go to autozone and get a $40ish scanner, will tell you if it’s a real CEL (emissions, fuel, etc.) meaning important systems. On German cars the CEL can be tripped for a multitude of reasons but some are not actually directly engine related, meaning you can drive with it. If that’s the case, the autozone scanner probably won’t pick it up
chassis (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
I have a 2019 GLC300 and it has been at the shop 4 times within the past 90 days. Started with Engine light then the car stalls in the middle of driving, shuts off and will not restart. The shop keeps saying they "found" the problem but car keeps stalling and shutting down. Latest time in the shop they admited that its some type of electircal problem they currently cannot find and/or recreate. Came back from shop with additional problems (signal issues, driver assist not working etc). With so many cars produced there are bound to be issues, the problem lies on how efficeciently the issues are resolved and if they cannot be resolved, then how they are remedied.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2023 Mercedes GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by GLCDriver123
Before I got rid of my second GLC I had it in the dealer for a 'software upgrade' to supposedly fix issues and they gave me a '23 loaner GLC. That thing had the check engine light on the whole time I had the loaner and when I brought it to service advisor's attn before driving off they said they know it's illuminated, there's no safety issue. I was floored they acted like no big deal, normal for a '23 loaner with less than 2000 miles on it to have a check engine light on!
Old 09-01-2023, 03:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Before I got rid of my second GLC I had it in the dealer for a 'software upgrade' to supposedly fix issues and they gave me a '23 loaner GLC. That thing had the check engine light on the whole time I had the loaner and when I brought it to service advisor's attn before driving off they said they know it's illuminated, there's no safety issue. I was floored they acted like no big deal, normal for a '23 loaner with less than 2000 miles on it to have a check engine light on!
Hmmm, I am guessing you didn't plug your scanner in and see what the code was about our of curiosity?
Old 09-01-2023, 03:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by jjt1234
I had a similar but slightly different issues. After 2 weeks, got check engine light. Took it in to dealer , they checked it out and said loose gas cap (which is a common cause of check engine). Light went out. 3 days later came back on again and took it to dealer. Took them 3 days of diagnostics but said it was charcoal canister on fuel gas vent to catalytic converter. Dealer had to order one from Germany. Put it on and no check engine light since (been 2 weeks)...
Sounds like they figured it out, glad it didn't come back!
Old 09-15-2023, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 GLC 300
Update 23 GLC 300 4matic

Well mine is back in the shop again for the 4th time with issues related to the automatic driver assistance system. Doesn't notice cars next to me, lanes, markings, etc. No errors this time except for the check engine light keeps coming on every 2-3 days. I contacted an attorney today who took the case, and they will send a demand letter in the next 7-10 days to Mercedes. Anyone been through this process and know what to expect now that I have an attorney involved? When I tried to handle myself, MBUSA refused buyback request and said they have no reason to provide any compensation as I was provided a loaner

Any insight appreciated.

Josh
chassis (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 01:49 PM

21 c43
Originally Posted by medic8185
Well mine is back in the shop again for the 4th time with issues related to the automatic driver assistance system. Doesn't notice cars next to me, lanes, markings, etc. No errors this time except for the check engine light keeps coming on every 2-3 days. I contacted an attorney today who took the case, and they will send a demand letter in the next 7-10 days to Mercedes. Anyone been through this process and know what to expect now that I have an attorney involved? When I tried to handle myself, MBUSA refused buyback request and said they have no reason to provide any compensation as I was provided a loaner

Any insight appreciated.

Josh
There are a few owners here that have gone through or are currently going through the buyback process who can give you insight.

Wanted to update you all on my situation. Thankfully over the 3 month ownership period so far, no major issues (all systems work and no warnings/unable to drive) aside from the car bugging out and not starting (PCM software update for sure fixed it) and the AC not working randomly one time which was tied to the occupant protection system (turned the setting off and on and it’s been fine ever since). However the battery is really acting up, last week car was driven for almost 2 hours (more than enough to charge the battery) and the next day got a critically low battery alert. Car is in the shop now for them to inspect. They’re trying to see if it’s a faulty battery or another system not letting the car go to sleep. Will update you all when I get the car back
medic8185 (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 02:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
I understand that one must lock the car even if it is in your garage as locking it shuts down the computer system. Otherwise you will have a battery drain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2023 GLC will not start