GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 V167 GLE

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
Well, when you wrote that the cars were starting to come in, I decided to check my local dealer (which I do from time to time). Don't see anything new in yet.

Last edited by beth22; 04-15-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: incorrect
Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Congrats Ron. I’ve read that Xpel is very good. Do you feel it’s the best ceramic coating available?
Just quick clarification, Xpel is not ceramic coating. It is a Paint Protection Film, which protects the paint better than ceramic coating. I had CeramicPro installed on my wifes new car we bought in 2017 and I feel it did a poor job of actually protecting the paint. Xpel film should do a better job.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by turko
Just quick clarification, Xpel is not ceramic coating. It is a Paint Protection Film, which protects the paint better than ceramic coating. I had CeramicPro installed on my wifes new car we bought in 2017 and I feel it did a poor job of actually protecting the paint. Xpel film should do a better job.
Thanks I missed that completely. Some window films are called Ceramic coatings also. Marketing hype probably!

My dealer F&I offered me a Ceramic Treatment for the windshield that “supposedly” strengthens the glass to reduce damage from sand and rocks. I mentioned that Safelight Auto Glass has a new chip repair process that almost eliminates the visual damage. The dealer F&I gal asked me who my insurance was with and if they paid for multiple chip repairs. She then told me that she had to pay for a third rock chip in one year because her insurance only pays for two. I don’t think she had a clue that she had just disputed some of her own claim about the windshield treatment. Maybe it helps with the small sand chips that can’t be repaired but I doubt it.

Even though I am a cash buyer I had to go through F&I for payment and to get the sales pitch for all the interior/exterior/maintenance options. At least it was soft sell with no pressure.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quick Update on my GLE 450. I caught it just before it was going in for detailing and only had a short time, maybe 45 minutes.

The tires were Michelin. My fav....

The exhaust is two pipes in each outlet with a clean look. One early picture probably picked up some of the Aluminum heat shield of which there is a lot. The pipes are clean but from the right angle it might look like the shield is close to the pipes.

Anyone worried about the Grey MBUX dash and sides being too light can rest easy. Mine is a dark Grey and goes very well with the dark Brown, IMO! The colors are complimentary unlike the pics of some early models. The MBUX Graphics are very clear and the System seems responsive.

I went over the vehicle carefully and mine has very good initial quality. The paint is perfect. All of the seam openings are the same and look good. By that I mean the space around the doors, hood, trunk lid, etc. As far as I could tell all of the switches and gadgets work well but might need a few days to try everything. Our first Benz but didn’t see anything that wasn’t fairly intuitive.My wife thought everything looked complicated and that is always the case with a new car. We tried “Hey Mercedes” for several in vehicle functions and they worked well. Didn’t try any more complicated things like Nav or Search? Didn’t pair my phone to try Android Auto.

I wasn’t dressed to look at the exhaust pipes and valves underneath but will do that when I take delivery.

I like the Pano shield-it’s light colored and seemed to reflect the sun better than the dark one on our Audi.

The chrome bumper protector (that I got instead of the Acoustic Comfort that I ordered) is slimmer than pictures I saw and doesn’t look bad. Other than those two items my build matched the order.

There is no comparison the look and feel of mine vs the $70K preconfigured one they have. The AMG package and nicer wheels just add a rich look! Same with the interior look. There is some hard plastic lower areas but probably more practical.

The rear passenger space is huge. A 7’ driver with the seats all the way back wouldn’t crowd the rear. Since we rarely carry passengers for long distances a larger boot would work better for us. Passengers will be impressed!

I tried lowering the car (Standard Air) and except for the notice in the DIC couldn’t feel any change. When I got out I could see it had lowered the car.

I completely forgot about the Soft Close doors so didn’t try them.

I am very impressed and looking forward to figuring out how everything works. It’s a vehicle worth the wait....
Old 04-16-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Hopefully the wait was worth it. Enjoy in good health. Don’t forget to take some pictures

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Quick Update on my GLE 450. I caught it just before it was going in for detailing and only had a short time, maybe 45 minutes.

The exhaust is two pipes in each outlet with a clean look. One early picture probably picked up some of the Aluminum heat shield of which there is a lot. The pipes are clean but from the right angle it might look like the shield is close to the pipes.

Anyone worried about the Grey MBUX dash and sides being too light can rest easy. Mine is a dark Grey and goes very well with the dark Brown, IMO! The colors are complimentary unlike the pics of some early models. The MBUX Graphics are very clear and the System seems responsive.

I went over the vehicle carefully and mine has very good initial quality. The paint is perfect. All of the seam openings are the same and look good. By that I mean the space around the doors, hood, trunk lid, etc. As far as I could tell all of the switches and gadgets work well but might need a few days to try everything. Our first Benz but didn’t see anything that wasn’t fairly intuitive.My wife thought everything looked complicated and that is always the case with a new car. We tried “Hey Mercedes” for several in vehicle functions and they worked well. Didn’t try any more complicated things like Nav or Search? Didn’t pair my phone to try Android Auto.

I wasn’t dressed to look at the exhaust pipes and valves underneath but will do that when I take delivery.

I like the Pano shield-it’s light colored and seemed to reflect the sun better than the dark one on our Audi.

The chrome bumper protector (that I got instead of the Acoustic Comfort that I ordered) is slimmer than pictures I saw and doesn’t look bad. Other than those two items my build matched the order.

There is no comparison the look and feel of mine vs the $70K preconfigured one they have. The AMG package and nicer wheels just add a rich look! Same with the interior look. There is some hard plastic lower areas but probably more practical.

The rear passenger space is huge. A 7’ driver with the seats all the way back wouldn’t crowd the rear. Since we rarely carry passengers for long distances a larger boot would work better for us. Passengers will be impressed!

I tried lowering the car (Standard Air) and except for the notice in the DIC couldn’t feel any change. When I got out I could see it had lowered the car.

I completely forgot about the Soft Close doors so didn’t try them.

I am very impressed and looking forward to figuring out how everything works. It’s a vehicle worth the wait....
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Delivery finally

Mine, too!

Good to know. Those last pics of the outlets posted looked terrible.

That got missed on mine, rather than added. Ordered it from parts for $195, vs. $150 as an option.

Agree - the way it is optioned makes all the difference.

I've got about 2 weeks to get mine. Will be interested in your review after you've had it a few days.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X5 2016
Congrats. Can't wait for your review and pictures
Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are the photos I took today. Polar White with Espresso Brown/Magma Grey leather. MB Tech dash and upper door's. AMG exterior with the 20" wheels. These colors have been posted before so just a few to show colors taken with Pixel 3 phone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
Germancar1 (04-17-2019), JBAM (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I forgot to mention my Serial Number is 33798 so they have been building more than I thought the last few months.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Audi Q5
The car looks amazing. Give us an update about the drive and the suspension as well.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
I forgot to mention my Serial Number is 33798 so they have been building more than I thought the last few months.
Congratulations Ron, I’m sure you’ll love your new GLE.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE Hybrid

At the NY Auto Show press event that just ended I think they said the GLE Hybrid would launch late Summer this year. GLS was also unveiled.

https://t.co/C8dWKm1KRT

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-17-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Delivery

Here are the photos I took today. Polar White with Espresso Brown/Magma Grey leather. MB Tech dash and upper door's. AMG exterior with the 20" wheels. These colors have been posted before so just a few to show colors taken with Pixel 3 phone.
I think the brown/gray combo looks much better than photos I've seen previously. Congrats, and now you've got me excited for my delivery, hopefully in 12 days!
Old 04-17-2019, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I think the brown/gray combo looks much better than photos I've seen previously. Congrats, and now you've got me excited for my delivery, hopefully in 12 days!
Looking foreword to your opinion too. It’s just a crappy deal that there are so many shortages holding up loyal purchasers that stuck their neck out and ordered sight unseen. I went back and forth on E-ABC....don’t know if I would have the patience of terry, Hurricane Skizz, etc. Maybe patience is the wrong word. At this point it is likely that MB has a supplier issue of some magnitude and more than one!
The following users liked this post:
tery (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
I wonder are there any Mercedes corporate people reading this forum. I know Fabbrisd1 is maybe one of them. I am not sure what to expect of Mercedes from here on now. I called my dealer, called MB Canada they all have the same text book style reply. Only to find out apparently from Mercedes “wait, we will let you know soon as we have more information” will cost you at least $10K deposit. Talk the talk like top end car manufacturers, walk the walk like used car dealer. For me personally I expect a bit more specific detail my build problem for this price. Feels like buying stock wrong place wrong time, tough luck. Not sure Would any other manufacturer treat their customers like this ?

Last edited by tery; 04-17-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Fabb has been a good resource for this forum. I've seen him in numerous sections here (W211 especially), and he seems like good folk that helps when he can (I assume "him" for some reason). However, I'm not so sure MB(USA) really gives a damn about what goes in these forums, specifically as far as this V167 section and their build/delivery issues. No matter what our problems we express in this forum are, they will probably sell every 2020 GLE they build regardless, for a few years anyway. As far as number of owners go, we here are a minority as a sheer number. If I cancel my order, I am confident that it would not register a blip on MB's radar.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
That’s the sad thing about the Mercedes purchasing experience, the worst thing can happen purchasing or working with someone. When they don’t give a damn.
I can only say I maybe expect too much from Mercedes.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tery
I wonder are there any Mercedes corporate people reading this forum. I know Fabbrisd1 is maybe one of them.
I believe fabbrisd1 is a dealer with connections, not MBUSA corporate.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I believe fabbrisd1 is a dealer with connections, not MBUSA corporate.
My inkling as well. I always appreciate his input.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
I wished my sales is knowledgeable as fabbrisd1
Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tery
I wished my sales is knowledgeable as fabbrisd1
I think he’s located near the Factory so has a big advantage. It is very helpful to have the inside info from him. He’s a great asset to Mercedes!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks amazing Ron! Quick favor, will you be able to let me know what MPG you are getting on this GLE cruising on the highway 75-80 mph? I haven't even test drove one and my dealer doesn't have a GLE450 in stock at all and we are still waiting for ours. I just want to be sure this SUV will get over 500 miles on a tank with MPG around 25 or higher on 95% highway.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Looks amazing Ron! Quick favor, will you be able to let me know what MPG you are getting on this GLE cruising on the highway 75-80 mph? I haven't even test drove one and my dealer doesn't have a GLE450 in stock at all and we are still waiting for ours. I just want to be sure this SUV will get over 500 miles on a tank with MPG around 25 or higher on 95% highway.
It may be a few days before I get it out on the Highway but I can do that. I am picking it up tomorrow, it’s been a busy week for me and I had Xpel protective film added.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE450 Ordered 12/11 Build date Mar 3rd decade, Mar 1st decade, 4/27 now 5/3
I wonder where the press is on MB's problems? I see lots of articles about how wonderful the 2020 GLE is. Has anyone seen an article reporting on the problems MB is having delivering their product?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Production delays continue

Originally Posted by rm50
I wonder where the press is on MB's problems? I see lots of articles about how wonderful the 2020 GLE is. Has anyone seen an article reporting on the problems MB is having delivering their product?
No, only that sales are down. It's hard to get evidence of something like that except by hearsay. MBUSA admitted some in their memo to dealers, but not really how it's impacting customers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE