GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Cross shopping with 2019 X5 40I and 50I

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Bmw M4, BMW X5, Audi S3
Cross shopping with 2019 X5 40I and 50I

Is anyone else cross shopping the 2020 Gle 450 with the 2019 X5 in particular the 50I? I know the 50i bmw has a twin turbo v8 versus the inline 6. Just curious from anyone that compared the 2020 gle vs 2019 x5 with their pros and cons. Thanks
Old 03-09-2019, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by Np2018
Is anyone else cross shopping the 2020 Gle 450 with the 2019 X5 in particular the 50I? I know the 50i bmw has a twin turbo v8 versus the inline 6. Just curious from anyone that compared the 2020 gle vs 2019 x5 with their pros and cons. Thanks
My wife and I test drove a 2019 BMW X5 xDrive50i a few weeks ago. The tester was optioned to about $90K with a 456hp V8 and the M Sport Design package and the Executive Tier. It was Carbon Black with Coffee Extended Merino Leather. Overall the car is beautiful inside and out. The seats were comfortable and the 2nd row leg was adequate. The rear hatch was split configuration which BMW has been doing since they launched the X5. The driving dynamic was very good, handling was smooth and easy. The tech was also impressive and somewhat intuitive. I couldn't get the cruise control to activate even with the salesman behind me explaining how to do it. He seamed a bit stumped as to why it wouldn't active. The system also supports a few gestures to turn the volume up or down or mute the sound but those gestures stopped working and he couldn't figure out why.

What we liked:
  • Great looks inside and out
  • Comfortable seats
  • Beautifully designed dash
  • Much of the tech was impressive
  • Smooth ride and lots of power

What we didn't like:
  • Did not include an air suspension at $90K
  • 2nd Row leg room was noticeably less compared to the GLE
  • The split rear hatch (we didn't get the need to split it and think it may make reaching for items more difficult)
  • Some of the tech did not work

Overall our impressions were good but we were skeptical of the buggy tech. BMW may have rushed it to market.

We also drove a GLE 350 and GLE 450. It's a different felling SUV, more comfortable ride, roomier especially the 2nd row leg room, and the tech is definitely more advanced. It comes down to want you want out a car and the company that built it.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
We had prior ML350s and a Ml350 bluetec and 2 BMW X5 including the 2015 X5 diesel. I saw the new X5 and was utterly disappointed. I loaded it to 88k and it still puts me to sleep. The look is boring and the interior so too origami for my tastes and the tech is not any much better than the Audi latest MMI touch screen system in my 2019 Audi A7 (which is simply amazing and close to my Tesla S I had 2 years ago) or the new GLE... I was so upset with the X5 tech as it was buggy and quite lame. The suv drove nice but still a bit too isolated and handling was kinda lame and the gas mileage was bad on highway at 24-25 mpg and with only 21.9 gallons tank, not good enough for work or holiday commute.. Seriously, 21.9 gallons tank!? And the second row was cramped... The rear does not lower when you need to put heavy luggage like the GLE which was a intuitive feature and I like it! Also the GLE has far better A/C system. The A/C in our X5 was very weak in hot or cold weather and its so embarrassing... I love how the GLE does parallel park easily then our older Ml350 and does easy auto lane change and stop-go in a traffic jam we had today when testing the GLE450 we had at the dealer today.

Good thing, I also ordered a loaded GLE450 with AMG spec package to 90k and we are taking it. The GLE450 today was WOW WOW, it looks more exciting and the interior just makes me GRIN!. If felt so comfortable in it. The tech is way more advance and the way the GLE 450 handles with the airmatic puts the X5 to shame. I was thrown side to side with lane change and quick turns on the X5 whereas the GLE just kept me composed and the ride in the GLE blows the X5 out of the water. The ride on the GLE is glass smooth and more solid and serene like the S class and makes the X5 feel rougher... The X5 felt choppy obviously due to run craps... And the gas mileage of the GLE was 28 on the highway at 80 mph vs 25 for the X5 and the GLE has 24.5 gallons tank which gives me a much better cruising range. Heck the Hey Mercedes beats the BMW commands. The touch screen plus the remote start and the apps including Android Auto or CarPlay was faster than BMW. I cannot wait for our GLE next month. Goodbye X5... Its been sweet but new one doesn't capture our hearts.

Last edited by Baloo588; 03-09-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I'm cross shopping the GLE against the X5, X7 and the upcoming X167 GLS.

As of right now, the two top choices are the GLE 450 or X7 40i. The GLE 450 configured the way I like is $84k while a similarly configured X7 is $86k. The X7 comes with 3 years of free maintenance so that makes the X7 and GLE 450 roughly the same price. The X7 has more room in the 3rd row and luggage space behind the 3rd row.

The decision is really difficult. Wife and I are going to take our time, reading reviews, test driving before making our decision. We're not in a rush so we're going to see what the X167 GLS looks like and pricing for it. the GLE price has really shot up this generation.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Bmw M4, BMW X5, Audi S3
When I test drove the 2020 Gle 450 I loved the interior finishes and mbux technology. I am just concerned the inline 6 won't be enough power I wish the Gle had a v8 option. Especially when you have 4 grown adults in the suv and are merging onto the highway from a slow speed or towing something heavy around. I also thought the demo which wasn't very equipped had a suspension which felt very floaty and soft even in the sport mode setting. Did anyone else cross shopping feel that way? The X5 50i felt more sporty and alive while the Gle more of a grand touring suv.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by thenew3

As of right now, the two top choices are the GLE 450 or X7 40i. The GLE 450 configured the way I like is $84k while a similarly configured X7 is $86k. The X7 comes with 3 years of free maintenance so that makes the X7 and GLE 450 roughly the same price. The X7 has more room in the 3rd row and luggage space behind the 3rd row.

The decision is really difficult. Wife and I are going to take our time, reading reviews, test driving before making our decision. We're not in a rush so we're going to see what the X167 GLS looks like and pricing for it. the GLE price has really shot up this generation.
The new X7 looks beautifully executed and BMW will sell all they can build, at least until the the updated GLS gives it some German competition this fall. The GLE is not a direct competitor to the X7 so waiting on the X167 GLS is a good idea. I would be cautious about the X7 tech package as the X5 tech is somewhat buggy. Their new iDrive 7 software is slick looking but it was more complex to use compared to MBUX. So keep your ear to the wind once owners of the new X7 have had time to use and report on their experiences.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
Hi, I am cross shopping 2020 GLE 350 and 2019 X5 40i, and I have test-drived both cars a couple of times. Honestly, they are both great cars. There are some minor things that one does better than the other, but at the end of the day, you won't regret no matter which one you take.

It may sound like a cliche but you must ask yourself, honestly, what do you want for this car? To me, this is gonna be a family-oriented-try-to-make-my-wife-happy car. So when I think about, let's say, the engine, all the advantages of BMW 6-cylinder become irrelevant and Mercedes 4-cylinder is better for my purpose. So is the interior, etc.

Ciao~
Old 05-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Range rover sport 5.0 supercharger

I'm also cross shopping the gle with the x5, but I'm also considering the new lincoln aviator (great interior and amazing audio 3d revel) and the audi Q8. Also, I heard from a friend of mine that works for Maserati in Modena, that a new maserati levante will be revealed before the end of next year. This segment is so competitive these days.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by Erasmo
I'm also cross shopping the gle with the x5, but I'm also considering the new lincoln aviator (great interior and amazing audio 3d revel) and the audi Q8. Also, I heard from a friend of mine that works for Maserati in Modena, that a new maserati levante will be revealed before the end of next year. This segment is so competitive these days.
We've removed the GLE from our shopping list as it's just too small for our needs. So choices are down to new GLS or X7. Waiting to see what pricing on the GLS is before I decide and place an order.
We were interested in the Levante as well but it's too unpractical for a family with growing children. I hear there's supposed to be a smaller Maserati SUV/CUV coming in a few years. We may get that to replace the wife's X3.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Range rover sport 5.0 supercharger
We've removed the GLE from our shopping list as it's just too small for our needs. So choices are down to new GLS or X7. Waiting to see what pricing on the GLS is before I decide and place an order.
We were interested in the Levante as well but it's too unpractical for a family with growing children. I hear there's supposed to be a smaller Maserati SUV/CUV coming in a few years. We may get that to replace the wife's X3.
Yes probably that will be based on the alfa romeo stelvio platform.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Fuel tank size

Originally Posted by Baloo588
The suv drove nice but still a bit too isolated and handling was kinda lame and the gas mileage was bad on highway at 24-25 mpg and with only 21.9 gallons tank, not good enough for work or holiday commute.. Seriously, 21.9 gallons tank!? ....the X5 and the GLE has 24.5 gallons tank which gives me a much better cruising range.
Consensus is the GLE has a 22.5 gallon tank. Read posts #3-9 here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...er-manual.html. Obviously range is still much better than the V8 X5.