GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450 issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
GLE 450 Kicks

I have the same downshift kicks... And kicks bad! Any update on it? I don’t believe MB or any other maker would build a car to kick...

Originally Posted by CTRIO
Update!

I took the vehicle to the dealer this morning. The shop foreman test drove the car and told me that the downshift kicks and whining noise under braking are common/normal of the EQ boost motor equipped models (E, GLE & CLS class). It is due to the nature of the 48 Volts EQ motor during regenerating braking. Under braking this motor also functions as a brake and that is where the whining noise comes from. Since the EQ motor is also braking and it is directly attach to the transmission the downshifts are felt on the vehicle. The harder you brake the harder the downshifts will be felt.
I really hate to feel vibration on the vehicle while driving and that was the main reason for me to get the EQ and the AIRMATIC on my vehicle. I was trying to get the smoothest drive possible.I test drove the GLE350 and did not like the fact that the auto-start function on this model was very annoying since the vehicle shakes a lot during engine start. On the other hand the GLE450 does not have a starter motor. it uses the EQ to start the engine and it is very smooth. It is almost like a hybrid vehicle.
Unfortunately I cannot change the vehicle at this point. I would prefer to choose the GLE350 and turn off the auto-start every time I get into the vehicle than spend the $2k in suspension and feel the downshifts every time you brake. Personally I rather spent 35k more to get the 2020 GLE63 but unfortunate for me I cannot afford that.
Don't get me wrong, the 2020 GLE 450 is great but the I did not expect this from this vehicle. I could not test drive one in December when I place my order.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2019, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Alex Amaral
I have the same downshift kicks... And kicks bad! Any update on it? I don’t believe MB or any other maker would build a car to kick...
My 450 doesn’t have downshift kicks so doubt it’s normal. I recall a previous post that may have fixed a similar issue by replacing a sensor. You might try a search....it’s been several months ago. Might also try the issues thread!
The following users liked this post:
Alex Amaral (12-29-2019)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:26 PM

Mercedes GLE350
Yes! This happened to me! What did the service department say? Mine has been in there for 5 days now and they still are trying to figure it out. Service advisor stated that everything seems normal but when they plugged it in our downloaded the info from the car there were several error messages. They were most concerned with the traction control error.

Just got off the phone with the advisor and he stated the following: ESP control module was showing a glitch. There were over 40 different fault codes. The only standout code was the ESP control module code they are saying. Car seems fine to them now after doing an update. Who knows...Hopefully doesn't happen again! It happened last weekend while we were down in Mexico. Drove from LA to Baja. Went in for some lunch and came back out and car wouldn't start! Talk about Panic mode!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE450
Can someone explain a little bit more about the downshift kicks that's being discussed? Have a GLE450 as well but not so sure if I've experienced the downshift kicks? Just curious.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by jxl007
Can someone explain a little bit more about the downshift kicks that's being discussed? Have a GLE450 as well but not so sure if I've experienced the downshift kicks? Just curious.
If you don't think you have a problem with downshifts you probably haven't.
Igor Tikhonov (02-19-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 05:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by Philamg
If you don't think you have a problem with downshifts you probably haven't.
Yeah, I was just curious as I know a few have reported it. Figured someone can explain what it is. Thanks though.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
It basically downshifts hard when stopping, for me mostly 3rd to 2nd is where you feel it
The following 2 users liked this post by bad habit:
Igor Tikhonov (02-19-2020), jxl007 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 09:39 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Originally Posted by bad habit
It basically downshifts hard when stopping, for me mostly 3rd to 2nd is where you feel it
I experience this as well. It is more noticeable downshifting 3 > 2 than 2 > 1. All the other shifts are smooth.
The following 2 users liked this post by tiri:
bad habit (01-10-2020), Igor Tikhonov (02-19-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gle 450
received my gle450, with all possible options apart from gesture control after exactly 1 year of ordering;
ALL the headlights have water condensation inside; Dashcam has water condensation inside the lens!
was driving a gle from 2017; acustic insulation was as good or better than the 2020 despite having the acustic pack; riding was as smooth with airmatic as it is with eabc
not impressed att all; navigation sucks and carplay or android auto is the 1st choice BY FAR;
regreting not having bought the new x5
Anyone wants to buy it from me? received 9th january 1000km.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:28 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Condensation in the headlights is fairly common. Usually burns away through usage of the lights. Condensation in the camera lens is horrible. I’m betting you received one of the cars that have been sitting in storage out in the elements for the past several months. Have you noticed anything else funny with the car?

Originally Posted by Joao Costa
received my gle450, with all possible options apart from gesture control after exactly 1 year of ordering;
ALL the headlights have water condensation inside; Dashcam has water condensation inside the lens!
was driving a gle from 2017; acustic insulation was as good or better than the 2020 despite having the acustic pack; riding was as smooth with airmatic as it is with eabc
not impressed att all; navigation sucks and carplay or android auto is the 1st choice BY FAR;
regreting not having bought the new x5
Anyone wants to buy it from me? received 9th january 1000km.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree it’s obviously one parked in the elements but even then it’s a little surprising about issues appearing so soon....and the Camera. The Alabama sun must have cooked the seals over the summer.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:08 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by Linseylatimer
Yes! This happened to me! What did the service department say? Mine has been in there for 5 days now and they still are trying to figure it out. Service advisor stated that everything seems normal but when they plugged it in our downloaded the info from the car there were several error messages. They were most concerned with the traction control error.

Just got off the phone with the advisor and he stated the following: ESP control module was showing a glitch. There were over 40 different fault codes. The only standout code was the ESP control module code they are saying. Car seems fine to them now after doing an update. Who knows...Hopefully doesn't happen again! It happened last weekend while we were down in Mexico. Drove from LA to Baja. Went in for some lunch and came back out and car wouldn't start! Talk about Panic mode!
Took to service and they returned the car in two days.. All the same... Very disappointed...

Old 01-13-2020, 06:48 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Question

Originally Posted by Alex Amaral
Took to service and they returned the car in two days.. All the same... Very disappointed...
Looks like they performed some software updates - did it get better?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 AM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by bad habit
Looks like they performed some software updates - did it get better?
Nothing!
Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE450
A list of issues (have had the GLE for 6 months):

Keyless entry works sporadically (with both keys). Yes, I have been told by the dealer about interference with the phone and have heard the claim I need to hold the key (should not be in pocket or a bag). Still does not work properly.

Center console broke, the lids would not open when depressing the button. Fixed at the dealer.

Wiper blade (driver side) skips. Drives me nuts. Presumable calibrated at the dealer, inserts replaced. Still skips.

Memory buttons on driver door do not work. This is insane. After my wife drives I have to resort to contortionism to get in. Seat can be adjusted only after the vehicle is started and the correct profile is chosen. Techs claim I have to have keys programmed by sales in order to be able to adjust the seat before getting in. Sales claim to have never heard this. Anyone else have this issue? I don’t buy the claim this is a “feature” of the model. If so, this is idiotic.

Lift gate kick function - good luck getting this to work.

Brake assist - the car is possessed. Especially in reverse. Randomly decides a crash is imminent, slams on brakes, beeps frantically, scared the living hell out of everyone inside. Presumably fixed at the dealer through software updates. Not really. Still possessed.

Parktronic - same thing. God forbid a cyclist rides by. Presumably toned down at the dealer. Still schizophrenic.
galret (01-16-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:54 PM

2020 GLE 450
I thought I was the only one who was experiencing this!

Originally Posted by CTRIO
Update!

I took the vehicle to the dealer this morning. The shop foreman test drove the car and told me that the downshift kicks and whining noise under braking are common/normal of the EQ boost motor equipped models (E, GLE & CLS class). It is due to the nature of the 48 Volts EQ motor during regenerating braking. Under braking this motor also functions as a brake and that is where the whining noise comes from. Since the EQ motor is also braking and it is directly attach to the transmission the downshifts are felt on the vehicle. The harder you brake the harder the downshifts will be felt.
I really hate to feel vibration on the vehicle while driving and that was the main reason for me to get the EQ and the AIRMATIC on my vehicle. I was trying to get the smoothest drive possible.I test drove the GLE350 and did not like the fact that the auto-start function on this model was very annoying since the vehicle shakes a lot during engine start. On the other hand the GLE450 does not have a starter motor. it uses the EQ to start the engine and it is very smooth. It is almost like a hybrid vehicle.
Unfortunately I cannot change the vehicle at this point. I would prefer to choose the GLE350 and turn off the auto-start every time I get into the vehicle than spend the $2k in suspension and feel the downshifts every time you brake. Personally I rather spent 35k more to get the 2020 GLE63 but unfortunate for me I cannot afford that.
Don't get me wrong, the 2020 GLE 450 is great but the I did not expect this from this vehicle. I could not test drive one in December when I place my order.
Thanks
Thanks for providing this update. I just bought an almost new 2020 GLE last week and I thought something was wrong with it. I scheduled a visit with a service advisor next Wed. to discuss my concerns about the hesitation I have been feeling when breaking/coming to a stop, especially. I was describing the problem as feeling as though there is a bubble in the tire but - the experience is not consistent. The experience does seem to happen when I break a bit harder then soft.

I also notice a slight hesitation when, again at times, when accelerating from a stopped position. Is that also a common experience for other folks? I LOVE the aesthetics of the car - but the driving experience is not meeting my expectations. I did inquire to see if I could cancel the deal and get my paid-off 2014 ML trade in back because I am not 100% satisfied with the GLE and they basically said I would need to buy it back.

I'm not happy that I spent so much money for a less then satisfied driving experience.

Last edited by asauce; 02-14-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:25 AM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Originally Posted by asauce
Thanks for providing this update. I just bought an almost new 2020 GLE last week and I thought something was wrong with it. I scheduled a visit with a service advisor next Wed. to discuss my concerns about the hesitation I have been feeling when breaking/coming to a stop, especially. I was describing the problem as feeling as though there is a bubble in the tire but - the experience is not consistent. The experience does seem to happen when I break a bit harder then soft.

I also notice a slight hesitation when, again at times, when accelerating from a stopped position. Is that also a common experience for other folks? I LOVE the aesthetics of the car - but the driving experience is not meeting my expectations. I did inquire to see if I could cancel the deal and get my paid-off 2014 ML trade in back because I am not 100% satisfied with the GLE and they basically said I would need to buy it back.

I'm not happy that I spent so much money for a less then satisfied driving experience.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't experienced anything similar, either at launch or coming to a stop.
asauce (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Smoothness issues

Originally Posted by bigpern23
Sorry to hear that. I haven't experienced anything similar, either at launch or coming to a stop.
Me either.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 450 4MATIC
I own 2020 Mercedes Benz GLE 450 4MATIC

I have experienced some issues with it. I need to confirm them with you guys, and to look if there are any solutions.

1. I experience car-kicks and -jumps during automatic downshifting of the gear. I happens all the time.
2. Significant sound and video latency delay when phone is connected via bluetooth.
3. Sounds coming from speakers are sometimes distorted when playing a song (esp. a streamed song from Spotify or YouTube Music)
3. Sometimes (like 40% of the time), the door handle does not seem to register my thumb or hand touch. I replaced key fob batteries with no success. I have to take out the key and put it near the car handle for it to respond to my thumb/hand touch.

Looking forward to your responses
Old 02-18-2020, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hussainsadeq
I own 2020 Mercedes Benz GLE 450 4MATIC

I have experienced some issues with it. I need to confirm them with you guys, and to look if there are any solutions.

1. I experience car-kicks and -jumps during automatic downshifting of the gear. I happens all the time.
2. Significant sound and video latency delay when phone is connected via bluetooth.
3. Sounds coming from speakers are sometimes distorted when playing a song (esp. a streamed song from Spotify or YouTube Music)
3. Sometimes (like 40% of the time), the door handle does not seem to register my thumb or hand touch. I replaced key fob batteries with no success. I have to take out the key and put it near the car handle for it to respond to my thumb/hand touch.

Looking forward to your responses
1. There is an earlier post about a fix involving a sensor.
2&3 no issue on mine
4. Known issue...https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...fob-fable.html
Old 02-18-2020, 03:13 PM

GLE 450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ron.s
1. There is an earlier post about a fix involving a sensor.
2&3 no issue on mine
4. Known issue...https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...fob-fable.html
Which sensor?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rough downshifting

Originally Posted by hussainsadeq
Which sensor?
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7924253
Old 05-17-2020, 11:39 AM

2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by jpmack
My touch to lock doors are inconsistent, dealer told me it might be interference from the signal of my cell phone if the keys are in the pocket side where I where my phone. I don't believe it!
It seems as though there is a sensor in the key fob and if it is asleep, the door sensor or starting the vehicle isn't responding. If I move the fob to wake it up (?) the vehicle responds. I wonder if that is a way MB is trying to reduce the frequency of having t change the battery.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Key fob issue

Originally Posted by asauce
It seems as though there is a sensor in the key fob and if it is asleep, the door sensor or starting the vehicle isn't responding. If I move the fob to wake it up (?) the vehicle responds. I wonder if that is a way MB is trying to reduce the frequency of having t change the battery.
There's a long thread on this: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...fob-fable.html. Many have this issue, though I do not. The "sleep" feature is for theft protection so the key cannot be remotely cloned, which can be done even with it in your house from outside, it has been shown.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 05-17-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:46 AM

GLE 450 4MATIC
Key fob issue

Just shake the key fob vigorously once. That’s it. It will work like a charm.

I know it sounds weird but this trick fixed this issue once and for all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450 issues?