GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I agree...it’s unacceptable. Upholstery work is an art probably lost on a Mercedes Tech.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
How did this expensive luxury vehicle leave the factory like that ? QC - nowhere to be found. MErcedes awful quality. Demand to have the seats completely replaced.
You need to write Head Office, include photos. We have two Mercedes SUV what a total waste of money. MB quality and and reliability is a myth. Won’t be buying an other one. MB HQ response to all issues - it’s normal and within range. Will be buying Toyota or Honda next time. The car isn’t worth it. It’s based on advertising and hype. No actual data to support that Mercedes makes quality vehicles. Reliability is worse than Kia.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:44 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
various
Originally Posted by Roni07
Reliability is worse than Kia.

Kia usually scores quite highly on reliability. placed 2nd out of 30 in this recent survey.

All cars suffer failures.
The true measure of customer experience is how it’s handled when an issue is found.

Mercedes of late has been refute and deny, rather than admit, accept and remedy.

it’s that attitude which sees them coming in 28th place (out of 30) at the bottom of the table

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/1723...ver-power-2020

Last edited by quattrogmbh; 10-31-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,185 Likes on 852 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Bad upholstery

Originally Posted by SmokinBuddha
Here's are the picture on my GLE450
The car been in the service department for 2 weeks to fix the seats.
Doesn't really look any better than before, very disappointed.
I never seen such ****ty craftsmanship on a Mercedes seats.
Unfortunately, if you want it corrected you will probably have to take it to a good auto upholstery shop - I'm sure it could be improved. The answer to "should you have to do that" is obviously, no.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,974 Likes on 3,124 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Mercedes quality and reliability, notoriously bad for a while, is getting worse.

Read about more frequent reports of the M274 engine with piston failures (C 300, E 300, GLC 300). The M264 in the V167 GLE 350 is a descendent of the M274 and shares some componentry, although not the pistons.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:00 PM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
Pretty happy with my GLE and have no major issues 1 year running. Those seats look pretty bad though.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@cupecoy What is your impression of the GLE compared with the Cayenne?
Old 10-31-2020, 04:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by chassis
I love my GLE450 except for the seats, very bad craftsmanship. Night and day compared to my last Mercedes GLC 43 AMG seats.

The Cayenne is very nice depending on which trim you'll get, but I think it's overpriced.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by SmokinBuddha
Here's are the picture on my GLE450
The car been in the service department for 2 weeks to fix the seats.
Doesn't really look any better than before, very disappointed.
I never seen such ****ty craftsmanship on a Mercedes seats.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Can't say I'm surprised. So many V167's are plagued with QC failures. Good luck, hope you get it all worked out.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:53 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh
Kia usually scores quite highly on reliability. placed 2nd out of 30 in this recent survey.

The true measure of customer experience is how it’s handled when an issue is found.

Mercedes of late has been refute and deny, rather than admit, accept and remedy.

it’s that attitude which sees them coming in 28th place (out of 30) at the bottom of the table

LOL LOL 😂 Kia is way on top. Mercedes is way at the bottom of the list. I wonder why !? At the end Mercedes will get what it deserves and not what it wants. MB is an Absolutely Embarrassing luxury brand. A super expensive heap of rubbish.
Solo wing (05-30-2024)
Old 11-01-2020, 05:52 AM

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
NCC-1701
Arrow

Originally Posted by chassis
Very different vehicles. My wife is the 450 driver actually. The Cayenne is just much better engineered but it also costs a lot more.
I do like the interior of the 450 a lot better though, the Cayenne interior is not as fancy.
The following 2 users liked this post by cupecoy:
chassis (11-01-2020), Solo wing (05-30-2024)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:25 AM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
bmw 535i xdrive
I test drove the Cayenne several times before purchasing my GLE. The ride of the Cayenne was tighter and sportier and not forgiving. The interior was austere and not as luxurious. Aside from the cost depending on option variations, it’s a totally different ride which depends on personal preference. The only commonality is the fact they are both SUV’s.
The following 2 users liked this post by monwen:
chassis (11-01-2020), TwinCam (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,197 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh

These surveys are of little use. The questions are phrased to investigate things more like "Is this car what you expected / hoped for?" rather than "How is the reliability after XXX months/miles."
So, if you pay a little for a car, expectations are lower and more easily met. The higher priced cars are typically at a disadvantage, since they are usually bought by more discriminating buyers. J.D. Powers "initial quality studies" and Consumer Reports are probably least reflective of real quality issues or successes.
In order to actually rate the ratings, you have to actually see the questions posed to the new owners. They are typically phrased to generate click-bait articles, instead of useful information.

I agree with you that "The true measure of customer experience is how it’s handled when an issue is found." But I am not aware of many "surveys" that rate such things - at least ones that are in the headlines.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another factor is the Tech...Tech is where most consumers have complaints. In a few years there will be a better report card as actual repair data becomes available. My limited experience with Mercedes is very good with fixing issues. Much better than Lexus, Ford & GM. My daughter has had excellent experience with Honda. Our Audi dealer is good but not great like Mercedes. Lexus refused to fix a steering wheel issue that was documented in a TSB because warranty ran out while the Dealer kept greasing the column entry point and other stall tactics. A $600 repair, so talked my wife into an Audi and she has never been happier.
The Dealer is probably as much of a factor as the brand but Mercedes seems to have less constraints on warranty giving the Dealer some flexibility. Shopping the Dealer reputation has become one thing I do now after 2 bad Chevrolet Dealers on my trucks. They wear out the phrase “working as designed”.
I’m sorry but to me a Kia is not comparable. They are good for what they are and priced right but not in the same league with Mercedes. Tesla is a very nice brand but they have a low reliability rating by some. It’s a complicated vehicle so not unexpected.
chassis (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 02:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Another factor is the Tech...Tech is where most consumers have complaints. In a few years there will be a better report card as actual repair data becomes available. My limited experience with Mercedes is very good with fixing issues. Much better than Lexus, Ford & GM. My daughter has had excellent experience with Honda. Our Audi dealer is good but not great like Mercedes. Lexus refused to fix a steering wheel issue that was documented in a TSB because warranty ran out while the Dealer kept greasing the column entry point and other stall tactics. A $600 repair, so talked my wife into an Audi and she has never been happier.
The Dealer is probably as much of a factor as the brand but Mercedes seems to have less constraints on warranty giving the Dealer some flexibility. Shopping the Dealer reputation has become one thing I do now after 2 bad Chevrolet Dealers on my trucks. They wear out the phrase “working as designed”.
I’m sorry but to me a Kia is not comparable. They are good for what they are and priced right but not in the same league with Mercedes. Tesla is a very nice brand but they have a low reliability rating by some. It’s a complicated vehicle so not unexpected.
@Ron.s I have had a completely opposite experience, compared to the one you described above, with MB dealers. They pushed back, ashen-faced, on my photos of obvious oil leak "between the engine and transmission". The service advisor said if they embark on a $3,000 repair, and Mercedes denies the claim, the dealer is left holding the bag. The photos of the oil leak are a clear indication of a rear main seal leak. Anyone with more than a passing experience with vehicles would recognize this. Except my local MB dealer.

I have had excellent experiences with VW, Toyota, Honda and Ford dealers. Not MB. The dealer experience has been a large contributor to the sour taste I have for the brand. In a few years when I am in the market for a new vehicle, I don't expect MB to get my business. I want a mid-size SUV, with a blend of sportiness and luxury. I don't want a first gen V167. Because I will buy pre-owned, my business will likely to go Porsche or BMW.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,197 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
.......The Dealer is probably as much of a factor as the brand but Mercedes seems to have less constraints on warranty giving the Dealer some flexibility......
The Dealer's ability to fix problems, especially unusual ones, is directly related to their relationship with the District Service Rep ("The Factory").
If the Dealer has a good relationship and sufficient Technician training, the Service Rep will usually give immediate approval to a repair, and probably not require the Dealer to save/show take-off parts later. ("less constraints")
If the Dealer has a history of hiding things, filing erroneous claims or just doing a poor job of fixing things, the District Rep will more likely place a Hold on authorization, until he/she gets to the Dealership in person to review the situation. If this is the case, the Customer is forced to wait for that visit before repairs will begin. (more constraints)
A good Service Manager will cultivate that relationship, and the Factory Rep will have more trust that the diagnosis (and that there's an actual problem) is correct. "Throwing Parts at a Problem" will ruin that Dealer-Factory relationship over time, and Customers suffer.

We gave up on our local M-B Dealer several years back, because of "more constraints" affecting their ability to deliver Service. Now we travel 2 hours each way for service. And we have bought our last 4 M-B's from our preferred Service Location, not our Closest Dealer.
chassis (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
The Dealer's ability to fix problems, especially unusual ones, is directly related to their relationship with the District Service Rep ("The Factory").
If the Dealer has a good relationship and sufficient Technician training, the Service Rep will usually give immediate approval to a repair, and probably not require the Dealer to save/show take-off parts later. ("less constraints")
If the Dealer has a history of hiding things, filing erroneous claims or just doing a poor job of fixing things, the District Rep will more likely place a Hold on authorization, until he/she gets to the Dealership in person to review the situation. If this is the case, the Customer is forced to wait for that visit before repairs will begin. (more constraints)
A good Service Manager will cultivate that relationship, and the Factory Rep will have more trust that the diagnosis (and that there's an actual problem) is correct. "Throwing Parts at a Problem" will ruin that Dealer-Factory relationship over time, and Customers suffer.

We gave up on our local M-B Dealer several years back, because of "more constraints" affecting their ability to deliver Service. Now we travel 2 hours each way for service. And we have bought our last 4 M-B's from our preferred Service Location, not our Closest Dealer.
Plus 1....the Dealer can get prior approval to cover their butt. Every brand has a process!
Old 11-29-2020, 02:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I wrote a letter to Rallye Motors CEO and after she got my letter on the same day the head of the service dept. called, saying I'm very sorry and we will order you brand new seats for your GLE 450.

Last edited by SmokinBuddha; 11-30-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:22 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Alright looks like this thread had gone quiet for a couple of months - guess I'll add some here (I'm on my 2-week mark):

- Front passenger side parking light: lights up by itself twice already. First time when I was adjusting my tire pressures inside the garage. Second time when I parked on the curb, with the passenger side wheels up on the curb on a slight incline. And no, it's not the parking light p< that I had on, it was in Auto. Remedy was to unlock the car and lock it back via the remote. Weird!

- Random two beeps and two blinks on door's ambient light area and the blind spot mirror icon. Happening after turning the engine off and opening doors. Windows are closed all the way. Never figured out what it is.

- I have the pay-per-mile insurance that has an OBD dongle attached permanently. When starting the car, it now says "Mercedes Me Connect Service Limited". Looks like I'm stuck with this "feature" - saw this issue on another MB board, can't remember what it was.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:06 PM

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by djer
- Random two beeps and two blinks on door's ambient light area and the blind spot mirror icon. Happening after turning the engine off and opening doors. Windows are closed all the way. Never figured out what it is.
This is most likely the "exit warning" of the blind spot assist.
This system stays active for up to 3 minutes after ignition is off. It warns you when there are objects (cars, bikes, pedestrians) entering the blind spot when you are opening the door.

mikapen (01-06-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 12:56 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Thanks, that was my suspicion too but this was parked inside my garage. Now that I thought of it, it could be my kids running round the back while my door was being opened and the car detected them as "hazards"
Old 01-10-2021, 03:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE450
I have a 2020 GLE 450 currently sitting at the Mercedes service department since December 1, 2020 with the dreaded 48 volt battery failure. At this point they have no idea when they can expect a battery replacement for my car which I see as ridiculous. Anyway, they gave me a GLC loaner, and I must admit, the GLC has all sorts of glitchy software issues also, just like the GLE. Mirrors randomly move, sometimes when you put on the turn signal, the wipers go on, etc. It appears to me that Mercedes really needs to address the software development department. This is my first Mercedes and I'm not at all impressed with all these annoying issues. You NEVER see this sort of mess with a Japanese car, so Why does Mercedes have all these software issues? Seems like they should consider dumping a chunk of their thousand models and focus on some that actually work. This would be a joke if I didn't own one!
chassis (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,185 Likes on 852 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by MikeFLA
I have a 2020 GLE 450 currently sitting at the Mercedes service department since December 1, 2020 with the dreaded 48 volt battery failure. At this point they have no idea when they can expect a battery replacement for my car which I see as ridiculous. Anyway, they gave me a GLC loaner, and I must admit, the GLC has all sorts of glitchy software issues also, just like the GLE. Mirrors randomly move, sometimes when you put on the turn signal, the wipers go on, etc. It appears to me that Mercedes really needs to address the software development department. This is my first Mercedes and I'm not at all impressed with all these annoying issues. You NEVER see this sort of mess with a Japanese car, so Why does Mercedes have all these software issues? Seems like they should consider dumping a chunk of their thousand models and focus on some that actually work. This would be a joke if I didn't own one!
Software is the bane of most car companies now. Presumably they have batteries at Vance they are putting into new vehicles. It's amazing they cannot find a way to get an existing customer one!
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
MikeFLA (01-10-2021), user 7208224 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

News today...the other plant was making compact cars.

Daimler is latest automaker cutting production because of a chip shortage

BERLIN — Daimler will cut production and reduce working hours at a second factory, the latest automaker to suffer from a global shortage of semiconductors, the Handelsblatt daily reported on Thursday, citing unnamed company sources.

Automakers and electronics makers are facing a shortage of chips as consumer demand bounces back from a slump caused by the coronavirus pandemic that led to manufacturing delays.

The Mercedes maker will reduce production in Bremen, the newspaper reported, with the plant possibly even being closed in early February for some days.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:47 AM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
Some of this might also be attributed to the major fire in Oct at the AKM factory in Japan. Creating a significant IC chip supply chain disruption.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE issues