Notices
GLE Class (V167) 2020 - present

GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More

 
Old 06-17-2019, 05:40 PM
  #76  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western NY
Posts: 72
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLE 450
20.02.18. Edition A 2020
DaveD9 is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 07:03 PM
  #77  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
What is the date of your manual (inside back cover)? Mine came with one dated February 20, 2018, over a year before my car was produced! The one posted online here in PDF form dated September 27, 2018 contains some corrections and edits. I would like to see if there is an even later one. The one at Mercedes Me is still for the W166. I have not checked the onboard one.
Feb 20, 2018.

Also, I will try very hard to not start using you as a learning crutch (I am reading the manual all the way through, honest), but if you get a chance to get in the vehicle and see just how to get the curve inclination grades to show options, I'd greatly appreciate it. I was fiddling with it when I was at lunch and, of course, no success.

Again, many thanks.
Skizz is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 PM
  #78  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
Feb 20, 2018.

Also, I will try very hard to not start using you as a learning crutch (I am reading the manual all the way through, honest), but if you get a chance to get in the vehicle and see just how to get the curve inclination grades to show options, I'd greatly appreciate it. I was fiddling with it when I was at lunch and, of course, no success.

Again, many thanks.
Greg - Never mind on the curve settings. I poked around and found it by accident, as usual. I put it on option 3; the effect is indeed a little odd, but kind of interesting nonetheless.
Skizz is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 PM
  #79  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,981
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Curve mode inclination settings

Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
Greg - Never mind on the curve settings. I poked around and found it by accident, as usual. I put it on option 3; the effect is indeed a little odd, but kind of interesting nonetheless.
Accident? Heck, I gave you the path: Home>Settings>Vehicle>DYNAMIC SELECT>CURVE. :}

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 06-17-2019 at 10:19 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:18 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Accindent? Heck, I gave you the path: Home>Settings>Vehicle>DYNAMIC SELECT>CURVE. :}
Ya, got that part, but it was the little settings icon in the far right corner that brought up the options; that's where I was getting stuck. I though the icon there was a carryover for the main settings menu. Again, I can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks for the help in getting me there.
Skizz is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 PM
  #81  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,981
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Settings confusion

Originally Posted by Skizz View Post
Ya, got that part, but it was the little settings icon in the far right corner that brought up the options; that's where I was getting stuck. I though the icon there was a carryover for the main settings menu. Again, I can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks for the help in getting me there.
I hear you. The manual could be clearer. For the Off Road modes you have to chase around to 3 or 4 different areas to try to figure something out. And I hate Profiles. If you want to change one thing in your profile it seems you have to delete it and start all over - am I wrong? In "Edit Profile" there should be a way to just "save current settings." If you've found anything different, let us know.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM
  #82  
Member
 
bad habit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 107
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ON ORDER: 2020 GLE 450
Its a German car after all, it needs to be complicated
bad habit is offline  
The following users liked this post:
guitarplayer (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:37 PM
  #83  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,981
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Voice recognition

I was impressed with the voice recognition for Nav when we visited a couple of wineries out in the country last Saturday. It found the first address immediately when I voiced it. Then later, it found the 2nd just by the name of the winery. Pretty good.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:34 PM
  #84  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western NY
Posts: 72
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLE 450
I am also impressed with voice recognition. Just learned you can verbally spell a street name if it won't recognize what I am saying.
DaveD9 is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 04:56 PM
  #85  
Member
 
tiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 142
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE350d 4Matic; 2001 BMW 740i Sport
Originally Posted by DaveD9 View Post
I am also impressed with voice recognition. Just learned you can verbally spell a street name if it won't recognize what I am saying.
That may come in handy here in Québec as most GPS systems (Apple, Google, Waze, etc.) have trouble with our francophone street names.
tiri is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:04 PM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
I've found mine to be kind of a mixed bag. In some instances it works as advertised. In other instances, it doesn't recognize a street name, and has even got the number wrong a few times. For instance, yesterday when we were house hunting, I gave it an address of four five zero eight, said in that manner. It consistently gave me 4588, and then said the address could not be found (true; there was no 4588 on that street). I repeated the process three times with the same result. Then another time yesterday, it would not respond to "hey mercedes" for about 20 minutes, and also during that time it wouldn't respond to the button on the steering wheel. Then a while later, it responded (the car was not shut off/restarted). The radio was not on, and I turned the AC down as well, as I went into trouble shoot/user error mode. I couldn't find where I, or the environment, was the problem.

It's exacerbated by the fact that on my new android phone, "hey google" works pretty much flawlessly, and my wife, who was sitting in the passenger seat saying, "I'll just use the phone..." Put my $90k ride to shame.
Skizz is offline  
The following users liked this post:
guitarplayer (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:20 PM
  #87  
DMG
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 73
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
2001 G500
Originally Posted by t0ny View Post
It has been 5-weeks since I had my GLE450 and I am loving it. It has sports, premium, technology, intelligent drive and comfort packages, 21" wheels, black leather. MBUX is great. Auto-steer is basic; it is not as smart as Tesla's AutoPilot -- and its is not tied to navigation system. Overall GLE is doing well.

One question. Sometimes (with cruise control on), I notice an image of vehicle pop-up in a circle and then disappear. Does anyone know what this means?
I have the same question. If anyone knows what this car in the circle in the HUD means please let us know!

It is truly an amazing car, I must say it appears to be driving better with time somehow: gear shifts seem to be smoother and cruise control works better, although still some crazy "short stops" still occurring, especially if someone pulls out of or into my lane in front of me. I've learned its better to just take control if anything unusual occurs.

I have a few other minor questions that I've searched the manual for without success:

1. If I leave my wife and child in the car to go run into a store, with the car running and the keys in the car, invariably the engine stops and the air-conditioner stops. I can't for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. Taking auto-stop off doesn't do the trick.
2. It would be super if you could get the name of the song that is being played on Sirius XM to appear in the instrument panel, or the station name in the HUD (as opposed to "Station 50"). Anyone know how to change this?
3. I can almost never get the trunk to open by kicking my foot on either side of the tow hitch. Its worked a few times when I first got the car. Anyone else have any luck with this?
DMG is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 PM
  #88  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I have the same question. If anyone knows what this car in the circle in the HUD means please let us know!

It is truly an amazing car, I must say it appears to be driving better with time somehow: gear shifts seem to be smoother and cruise control works better, although still some crazy "short stops" still occurring, especially if someone pulls out of or into my lane in front of me. I've learned its better to just take control if anything unusual occurs.

I have a few other minor questions that I've searched the manual for without success:

1. If I leave my wife and child in the car to go run into a store, with the car running and the keys in the car, invariably the engine stops and the air-conditioner stops. I can't for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. Taking auto-stop off doesn't do the trick.
2. It would be super if you could get the name of the song that is being played on Sirius XM to appear in the instrument panel, or the station name in the HUD (as opposed to "Station 50"). Anyone know how to change this?
3. I can almost never get the trunk to open by kicking my foot on either side of the tow hitch. Its worked a few times when I first got the car. Anyone else have any luck with this?
I can offer feedback on item 3. I was told to, and do to much success, kick in the dead center of the rear of the vehicle. Like the middle of the license plate with hatch closed and right at the latch with the door open. I do a fairly quick kick and don't let my foot linger under there. It works for me 98% of the time. Then generally the other two percent with one more try.
Skizz is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 PM
  #89  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,981
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Features

Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I have the same question. If anyone knows what this car in the circle in the HUD means please let us know!

It is truly an amazing car, I must say it appears to be driving better with time somehow: gear shifts seem to be smoother and cruise control works better, although still some crazy "short stops" still occurring, especially if someone pulls out of or into my lane in front of me. I've learned its better to just take control if anything unusual occurs.

I have a few other minor questions that I've searched the manual for without success:

1. If I leave my wife and child in the car to go run into a store, with the car running and the keys in the car, invariably the engine stops and the air-conditioner stops. I can't for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. Taking auto-stop off doesn't do the trick.
2. It would be super if you could get the name of the song that is being played on Sirius XM to appear in the instrument panel, or the station name in the HUD (as opposed to "Station 50"). Anyone know how to change this?
3. I can almost never get the trunk to open by kicking my foot on either side of the tow hitch. Its worked a few times when I first got the car. Anyone else have any luck with this?
1) I don't know this either and have not tried that. Most dealers have a "genius" or "product concierge" that should be able to help you.
2) The track information is displayable; should be one of the settings. I don't have my car here right now, but I'm attaching the relevant owner's manual pages.
3) Agree with Skizz.
Attached Files

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-08-2019 at 07:24 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 PM
  #90  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Ron.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 775
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I have the same question. If anyone knows what this car in the circle in the HUD means please let us know!

It is truly an amazing car, I must say it appears to be driving better with time somehow: gear shifts seem to be smoother and cruise control works better, although still some crazy "short stops" still occurring, especially if someone pulls out of or into my lane in front of me. I've learned its better to just take control if anything unusual occurs.

I have a few other minor questions that I've searched the manual for without success:

1. If I leave my wife and child in the car to go run into a store, with the car running and the keys in the car, invariably the engine stops and the air-conditioner stops. I can't for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. Taking auto-stop off doesn't do the trick.
2. It would be super if you could get the name of the song that is being played on Sirius XM to appear in the instrument panel, or the station name in the HUD (as opposed to "Station 50"). Anyone know how to change this?
3. I can almost never get the trunk to open by kicking my foot on either side of the tow hitch. Its worked a few times when I first got the car. Anyone else have any luck with this?
Number 1: That doesn’t make sense with the key in the car. Mine shuts off even at a stop light but the Air Conditioning keeps running and after a while the car starts again. It must be a safety precaution assuming you forgot to turn it off since it’s in park. If so it solves one issue but creates another....
People have died when a car was left running in a garage. A person I worked with fell asleep after closing his garage door one night with his car running. Might have been Alcohol involved! At least he was single and didn’t have a family sleeping in the house. I’ll check mine tomorrow. Let us know what you find out.
Ron.s is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:53 PM
  #91  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
In "Edit Profile" there should be a way to just "save current settings." If you've found anything different, let us know.
I agree with you on Profiles!!! Starting on page 323 of the manual it talks about doing profiles on Mercedes me connect and then synchronizing with the vehicle. It is suppose to be under Profile Management. Anyone ever find that? It talks about one cool feature; uploading a picture to your profile in the head unit. That would be cool if it was there!
WA3CUJ is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 PM
  #92  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,981
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
Profile photo on MBUX

Originally Posted by WA3CUJ View Post
I agree with you on Profiles!!! Starting on page 323 of the manual it talks about doing profiles on Mercedes me connect and then synchronizing with the vehicle. It is suppose to be under Profile Management. Anyone ever find that? It talks about one cool feature; uploading a picture to your profile in the head unit. That would be cool if it was there!
Under "My Profile" it says the profile image will be displayed on the vehicle head unit, but according to my dealers 'product concierge,' "Mercedes Benz has removed that option from their connect services."
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 PM
  #93  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Ron.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boise & St George
Posts: 775
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 SQ5 & 2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Under "My Profile" it says the profile image will be displayed on the vehicle head unit, but according to my dealers 'product concierge,' "Mercedes Benz has removed that option from their connect services."
I thought it was a loose end that would be fixed later. I spent hours trying to get it to work to no avail. My image is still in Mercedes Me, just dooesn’t sync to the vehicle.
Ron.s is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 AM
  #94  
Member
 
bad habit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 107
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ON ORDER: 2020 GLE 450
Is anyone using the in-car wifi and does anyone know what it would cost per month? Or alternatively is anyone using a third party hotspot? Can the MBUX use my cellphone's Internet connection to stream / update etc.?
bad habit is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 AM
  #95  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,981
Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2015 BMW M4 Coupe
In-car WiFi

Originally Posted by bad habit View Post
Is anyone using the in-car wifi and does anyone know what it would cost per month? Or alternatively is anyone using a third party hotspot? Can the MBUX use my cellphone's Internet connection to stream / update etc.?
Re: In car WiFi -


Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-09-2019 at 10:20 AM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
I activated mine through AT&T It was $25/month or $450 for two years (unlimited data), so I just went ahead and did two years to save a few bucks. There is a free 30 day trial, but it is limited to 1 gig. With traffic and other apps (not quite sure what is operating in the background once activated), I went through that 1 gig in a few days. So, although I'm not sure I use it to its full potential, I feel like I'm keeping up in my race with the Jonses.
Skizz is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 AM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
guitarplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio/Florida
Posts: 386
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4MATIC
Just get an unlimited data plan on your phone. Cheaper and available always vs only available in your car
guitarplayer is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:42 AM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Skizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 433
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
like s#!t
Got that, too. Hear that, Jones?
Skizz is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:56 AM
  #99  
Member
 
bad habit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NYC
Posts: 107
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ON ORDER: 2020 GLE 450
$450 for two years runs at $18.75 per month that is not bad for unlimited in fact its much cheaper vs. Freedom Pop or the like.
I do have unlimited data on my phone I guess that can also be they way to do it to save some $$$
bad habit is offline  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 PM
  #100  
Member
 
GeNomeZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South Florida
Posts: 85
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bad habit View Post
Is anyone using the in-car wifi and does anyone know what it would cost per month? Or alternatively is anyone using a third party hotspot? Can the MBUX use my cellphone's Internet connection to stream / update etc.?
I am using it. I only have the 2GB per month for $15 plan. Really the only thing I have that connects to it is my Escort Radar Max360c. That way the radar detector can do database updates, firmware updates and always know where someone else’s radar has been set off (or police spotted etc.). I used to have to open an app on my phone that would do the same things but via Bluetooth.

It is much simpler to just hop in the car and it automatically works.
GeNomeZ is offline  
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (07-10-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: