GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Driver Assistance Package Plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2022 | 02:09 PM

SUV

Sorry if this was asked before. I tried to search but couldn't find much specific details. Is this package worth it? Is it reliable? How do you feel about this package? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2022 | 03:23 PM

GLE
I had the same problem when researching my purchase. It's all very poorly described on the Mercedes website. You can try this very nice walkthrough video by Nick O'Leary. He also has a lot of other very handy tips and tricks videos.
Old 04-04-2022 | 04:02 PM

SUV
It's funny I was watching that very same video. He surely did a nice video. I was hoping to get some real feedback from owners. This will be wife's and she will never use it but I would if we ever take hers on a trip. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2022 | 04:56 PM

GLE
Unfortunately, I can't help with my own feedback as I'm still waiting for my car. The delivery keeps getting pushed back.
Old 04-04-2022 | 05:18 PM
Veteran: Marine Corp

2021 GLC 300 4Matic
If you want safety features, yes. Found this link from a dealership I used when I lived in Cali. I have it on mine and would not have one without it. I mostly use the adaptive cruise but on occasion the other options as well.

​​​​​​https://www.mbtemecula.com/mercedes-...tance-package/
The following users liked this post:
DavidBN (04-05-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I’ve had DAP on my last two vehicles. For me the biggest plus is on long Freeway trips. It’s nice to have it steer for a few seconds (20) while you grab a drink or a sandwich. It’s also handy for safety in a situation where the driver might be inattentive for a few moments. If you drive in a lot of heavy Freeway traffic like LA, Seattle etc., the distance feature might be very nice. There are annoying features like the 20 second timeout that comes on frequently on straight roads. The system is very good at accurately reacting to the surroundings…not a lot of false reactions. Traffic sign reading has been an issue on mine but it’s almost perfect now that my camera was replaced. I’d have to research a little to see if there are limitations to other features if you don’t have it. None come to mind!

I’m going to buy it again but in all honesty it isn’t worth the price…for me. It’s far from a Level 3 system and more like an enhanced Cruise Control system for my use. There are many people that love it and a few that don’t want a Nanny system. Probably most important for you is your intended use and how it fits.
Old 04-04-2022 | 05:55 PM

2021 GLE 350, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2023 Polestar 2, '73 Alfa GTV
We don't have it but wish we did. You can add a few of the items after market but you can't get them all and personally I think it's reasonable value at $1,950 in the US. This is the list of what it includes from the MB website, the link is https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/bu...tegory=options (just click on "view more" for the package, and if you want details of each item click on it),

Old 04-05-2022 | 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Get it. It makes the SUV a little bit idiot proof when you are not paying attention. The active lane assist is really useful and it sure helped me a few times when my attention is on GLE53 on the wild trying to convince myself if I would get the 21" or 22" upsize rims fro summer.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 04-05-2022 at 12:05 AM.
DavidBN (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 09:38 AM

2021 GLE450
I wanted it, but at the time it wasn't available to order on '22's due to the chip shortage. So I bought a '21 off the lot that didn't have it. Adaptive cruise was the big want for me. (I can't believe a $74k vehicle doesn't have ACC.) The GLE comes equipped with a fair amount of safety tech standard, but DAPP makes some of those features "active". The adaptive cruise is the only thing I really miss, although I reserve the right to change my mind if I have an accident due to those missing safety nets.
Old 04-05-2022 | 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe

Originally Posted by mb2be
Sorry if this was asked before. I tried to search but couldn't find much specific details. Is this package worth it? Is it reliable? How do you feel about this package? Thanks.
It depends a lot on your driving conditions and personal preferences. I haven't felt the need for most of these features, and stories from some show they can be frustrating leading one to turn them off. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Active Lane Keeping Assist uses one-sided braking for corrections leading to increased brake wear.
Old 04-05-2022 | 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I wanted it, but at the time it wasn't available to order on '22's due to the chip shortage. So I bought a '21 off the lot that didn't have it. Adaptive cruise was the big want for me. (I can't believe a $74k vehicle doesn't have ACC.) The GLE comes equipped with a fair amount of safety tech standard, but DAPP makes some of those features "active". The adaptive cruise is the only thing I really miss, although I reserve the right to change my mind if I have an accident due to those missing safety nets.
Have Raj from RJ Automotive add adaptive cruise, see: https://rjautomotive.net/products/di...ntrol-retrofit.

There's a thread here too: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...g-package.html

Plenty of people here have had it done, me included, and it works. I had the same experience as you, as in wanted certain options and the only way to get them was a car on the lot that didn't have adaptive cruise.
HotRodW (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022 | 12:12 PM

SUV
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I too feel it's odd not to have ACC std on this price level. This is probably the one I will miss most. It sounds like it's similar to BMW's driver assistance pro. I will leave it out. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2022 | 02:25 PM

2021 GLE 53 Iridium Silver
I have disabled the lane assist functions as I believe it has issues. Many times when attempting to exit a freeway or sometimes just doing a lane change, the car would push me back into the lane and not allow me to move to the right. This is a very dangerous move and scares the heck out of you. Also, when changing lanes to the right, my blind spot goes off regardless of whether there is a vehicle next to me or not. As soon as I turn on the signal it goes off.
Old 04-05-2022 | 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
It depends a lot on your driving conditions and personal preferences. I haven't felt the need for most of these features, and stories from some show they can be frustrating leading one to turn them off. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Active Lane Keeping Assist uses one-sided braking for corrections leading to increased brake wear.
I agree, and leave my lane keeping assist, route-based speed, traffic sign adoption and warnings (not recognition) turned off.

For lane keeping, there are a couple of levels, although I can't remember what the settings are called. The first level of intervention seems to be nudging the steering wheel, and the more aggressive intervention definitely uses the rear brake on one side to haul the car back on course.

If all those Lane Assists are off, you will see the word "off" in the cluster, with the lanes depicted.
Old 04-05-2022 | 03:10 PM

SUV
Originally Posted by Swordfish99
I have disabled the lane assist functions as I believe it has issues. Many times when attempting to exit a freeway or sometimes just doing a lane change, the car would push me back into the lane and not allow me to move to the right. This is a very dangerous move and scares the heck out of you. Also, when changing lanes to the right, my blind spot goes off regardless of whether there is a vehicle next to me or not. As soon as I turn on the signal it goes off.
Wow I wonder why they even implement this feature. I feel the same way with my BMW's even with lightest level. I turned it off.
Old 04-05-2022 | 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Lane Keep Assist works by braking to correct…startles passengers and erratic at times-leave turned off, IMO.
Lane keep using Distronic (DAPP pkg.) works well by steering your vehicle to keep it in the lane. But on corners at speed it might give up leaving you to manually steer. Without DAPP you are stuck with a disfunctional Lane Keep, IMO. But even then if you aren’t using Distronic you still get the braking method. This is a real head scratcher for me….
Old 04-05-2022 | 04:27 PM

2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
We have it in our 2022 GLE450 and with the exception of one MB a few years ago where it was not installed, we have had it in all of our MB's. I truly enjoy the system down here in South Florida. For highway driving for example, it is great to avail yourself of the number of safety features available. A lot depends on your driving requirements and also whether you want to invest about $2,000 on the option.

Last edited by haibieb; 04-05-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2022 | 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Lane Keep Assist works by braking to correct…startles passengers and erratic at times-leave turned off, IMO.
Lane keep using Distronic (DAPP pkg.) works well by steering your vehicle to keep it in the lane. But on corners at speed it might give up leaving you to manually steer. Without DAPP you are stuck with a disfunctional Lane Keep, IMO. But even then if you aren’t using Distronic you still get the braking method. This is a real head scratcher for me….
A Kia I drove over Christmas did exacty this. On a freeway connector, one lane wide with k-rails each side. The car 'lost' the lane markings and tried to send us into the side rail. Thankfully I was just seeing how well it worked and had my hands on the wheel the whole time.
Old 04-06-2022 | 05:27 AM

2022 GLE 450/2020 Gen 2 Raptor/few others
Wife would not give it up on her 450 for any money. She commutes, the majority of which is in rush hour traffic before she gets to the lake. She says the ACC is pretty much completely autonomous at rush hour speeds and is her favorite feature. I do find some of them annoying at times (slows down WAY too much for/in curves) but as a whole wish my daily were as feature laden.
Old 04-06-2022 | 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Zeusmotorworks
Wife would not give it up on her 450 for any money. She commutes, the majority of which is in rush hour traffic before she gets to the lake. She says the ACC is pretty much completely autonomous at rush hour speeds and is her favorite feature. I do find some of them annoying at times (slows down WAY too much for/in curves) but as a whole wish my daily were as feature laden.
It sounds like you may have "Route Based Speed Adaptation" (or some name like that) activated. Which would only be active if you have a Nav route active.
Could that be it?

My experience is that the Route Based slows way before the corner, and goes way too slow.
Zeusmotorworks (04-07-2022)
Old 04-06-2022 | 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zeusmotorworks
I agree, the ACC makes freeway travel so much less stressful. We can just park ourselves in the carpool lane and steer the car.
Zeusmotorworks (04-08-2022)
Old 04-06-2022 | 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by mikapen
I agree, and leave my lane keeping assist, route-based speed, traffic sign adoption and warnings (not recognition) turned off.

For lane keeping, there are a couple of levels, although I can't remember what the settings are called. The first level of intervention seems to be nudging the steering wheel, and the more aggressive intervention definitely uses the rear brake on one side to haul the car back on course.

If all those Lane Assists are off, you will see the word "off" in the cluster, with the lanes depicted.
One of the reasons I think why the vehicle is pushing you back when merging is that YOU ARE NOT USING YOUR TURN SIGNALS. If you want to change lanes or merge make sure to use your blinkers or the vehicle will think you are sleeping behind the wheel. I tried doing this and every time I change lanes without using the blinkers I get a force feedback from the steering wheel and sometimes the car tries to pull me back into the lane. When I use the blinkers I don't get that issue so merge SAFELY and PROPERLY.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 04-06-2022 at 11:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by shotgun_banjo:
brad_saggy (04-07-2022), DavidBN (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022 | 01:19 AM

2014 E350, 2017 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
One of the reasons I think why the vehicle is pushing you back when merging is that YOU ARE NOT USING YOUR TURN SIGNALS. If you want to change lanes or merge make sure to use your blinkers or the vehicle will think you are sleeping behind the wheel. I tried doing this and every time I change lanes without using the blinkers I get a force feedback from the steering wheel and sometimes the car tries to pull me back into the lane. When I use the blinkers I don't get that issue so merge SAFELY and PROPERLY.
this ^^

Now, we need to show those BMW drivers where the turn signal lever is
Old 04-07-2022 | 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
That would be the car working as designed.
I would only use Lane keeping assist when I want to stay in my Lane! (I wasn't talking about merging.)

Changing Lanes isn't the issue here, but yes, you're right that the turn signal momentarily defeats the assist, so you can change lanes without resistance.

Old 04-07-2022 | 06:31 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by mikapen
That would be the car working as designed.
I would only use Lane keeping assist when I want to stay in my Lane! (I wasn't talking about merging.)

Changing Lanes isn't the issue here, but yes, you're right that the turn signal momentarily defeats the assist, so you can change lanes without resistance.
Also, it you have the DAP, and you have it on, the car will change lanes for you when you use the turn signals. The only feature I don’t use is the CC auto speed adjustment to the speed limit signs. I also don’t use the route based speed adjustment on the interstate. However, if I’m taking a trip on a two lane road and want to use the DAP, I find the Route based speed adjustment helpful, particularly if the road has curves and I’m not familiar with the route.
mikapen (04-07-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Package Plus