GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

48V battery malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 10:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
GLE 450
48V battery malfunction

Twice now on my 2021 GLE450 the 48V battery has died or malfunctioned.
First time this happened was several months ago when i have less than 500 miles on it.
Dealer was told by Mercedes to clear the error codes, and return to customer. No known fix.
Tried to have Mercedes corporate take the car back as it seemed unsafe, but the request was denied couple months later.
Well, last night it happened again, and it is at the dealership as we speak.
Took pictures of the errors and warnings that popped up.
Has anyone had any similar problems where a solution was found?
A class action lawsuit I see was filed in New Jersey for this exact problem.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,694 Likes on 2,291 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Unfortunately, it is very common:
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ssage-cel.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...y-problem.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...lfunction.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...t-battery.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...s-my-turn.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...te-issues.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...heck-here.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...echarging.html
The following users liked this post:
Longroof45 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 11:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

In summary, there were three types of fixes for two batches:
1. Painted grounds was the reason for the fault for the first batch
2. Replacement of the 48V battery (there was a new part number) was another fix for the first batch (or both fixes needs to be implemented)
3. Software update to the battery control module, this only applies to second batch of batteries when a replacement is not applicable
brad_saggy (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
chassis (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 12:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
GLE 450
Thank you!!! I will let you know what they decide to do with mine this time around

PM
Old 04-07-2022, 12:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,988 Likes on 3,135 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I guess this is still a thing.

Best wishes for a speedy solution @cypress822
Old 04-07-2022, 04:34 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 E450 All Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by cypress822
Twice now on my 2021 GLE450 the 48V battery has died or malfunctioned.
First time this happened was several months ago when i have less than 500 miles on it.
Dealer was told by Mercedes to clear the error codes, and return to customer. No known fix.
Tried to have Mercedes corporate take the car back as it seemed unsafe, but the request was denied couple months later.
Well, last night it happened again, and it is at the dealership as we speak.
Took pictures of the errors and warnings that popped up.
Has anyone had any similar problems where a solution was found?
A class action lawsuit I see was filed in New Jersey for this exact problem.
The 48 volt on my 2021 E450 wagon died at just ubnder 200 miles. After doing all the diagnostics, MB authorized a replacement battery. The replacement battery died at just under 800 miles, and another replacement was authorized. The third battery has been fine for over 5,0000 miles now. in both of my failures, the car simply wouldn't start. Fortunately, it was in my driveway both times. The electrical problems reported on this forum seem to be of at least two types: (1) those where the car can be re-started, sometimes just after turning it off for a few minutes, but other times only after dealer service (cleariing codes, software updates, removing paint from terminals, etc.); and (2) those where the car is a complete brick and cannot be re-started under any conditions, making the battery replacement the sole option.
The following 2 users liked this post by Longroof45:
jaxslk (04-07-2022), mikapen (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
In summary, there were three types of fixes for two batches:
1. Painted grounds was the reason for the fault for the first batch
2. Replacement of the 48V battery (there was a new part number) was another fix for the first batch (or both fixes needs to be implemented)
3. Software update to the battery control module, this only applies to second batch of batteries when a replacement is not applicable
Some comments here.
Your #1, painted grounds, weren't a battery problem, just painted grounds that affected several functions, but batteries not at fault. Chassis supplier changed methods, Dealers fixed those cars (chassis numbers known).
#2 correct, but the reason was that Tesla bought M-B / BMW's battery co-developer / battery supplier, leaving M -B to redevelop new supply lines. Yes, replacement battery.
Tesla also stole the BMW/M-B technology, which must be embarrassing for Elan to admit that they weren't the Pack Leaders in battery tech. Five years development time lost by M-B.

#3 - This was a tech bulletin about the car charging algorithm, which can be applied. I don't think the Battery Control Module (BCM), which is internal to the battery, is up-datable in the car.
Could you find out if, in fact, the BCM is up-datable, or were they just talking about the car's software?
I think it's the latter, but if an OTA BCM is possible, we're into new tech.

Hope you can find out the BCM question.
Longroof45 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 07:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mikapen
Some comments here.
Your #1, painted grounds, weren't a battery problem, just painted grounds that affected several functions, but batteries not at fault. Chassis supplier changed methods, Dealers fixed those cars (chassis numbers known).
#2 correct, but the reason was that Tesla bought M-B / BMW's battery co-developer / battery supplier, leaving M -B to redevelop new supply lines. Yes, replacement battery.
Tesla also stole the BMW/M-B technology, which must be embarrassing for Elan to admit that they weren't the Pack Leaders in battery tech. Five years development time lost by M-B.

#3 - This was a tech bulletin about the car charging algorithm, which can be applied. I don't think the Battery Control Module (BCM), which is internal to the battery, is up-datable in the car.
Could you find out if, in fact, the BCM is up-datable, or were they just talking about the car's software?

Thanks for your comments and expanding on it I do appreciate it.
For #1 I understand, I meant the fix was to remove the paint for the first batch of battery problems. Sorry for the confusion.
For #2 Interesting, I knew about the supplier being acquired and then them terminating the previous contract with MB prior to the acquisition but I didn't know the replacement battery with a new part number was in respond to a new supplier, thanks for this information.
For #3 Thanks for bringing it up, will need to look into this further, will need your help too.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Thanks for your comments and expanding on it I do appreciate it.
For #1 I understand, I meant the fix was to remove the paint for the first batch of battery problems. Sorry for the confusion.
For #2 Interesting, I knew about the supplier being acquired and then them terminating the previous contract with MB prior to the acquisition but I didn't know the replacement battery with a new part number was in respond to a new supplier, thanks for this information.
For #3 Thanks for bringing it up, will need to look into this further, will need your help too.
I don't know about the part numbers, but the sequence of events (as I understand it) was that Tesla bought the Company (I'll look for the name), including the supplier agreement with M-B & BMW. However, soon after the completion of the deal, Musk directed the former owner and still Boss, to terminate the deals. The Boss refused, was terminated, and then Musk terminated the contracts.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:23 AM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 E450 All Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by mikapen
Some comments here.

I'm not familiar with mycarvoice.com but just happen to come across this. Apparently, somebody's paying attention outside of this forum. Coincidentally, one of the quotes is one of my posts. https://mycarvoice.com/news/mercedes...tery-problems/