Towing Capacity Question with a GLE350D - Outback 299URL trailer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE350D
Towing Capacity Question with a GLE350D - Outback 299URL trailer

All,
We own a 2016 gle 350D with the tow package and air suspension, and are looking at purchasing a trailer, and I'm a bit concerned with the size of trailer we are looking at, and if the GLE can pull it safely. I've been reading non stop, and others due seem to pull large loads (e.g. @GLE John ) but I would really appreciate some other advice.

The trailer has a dry weight of 5998 pounds, GVWR of 7960 and tongue weight of 695: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...299url-tr38101

It would be my wife and I and two dogs, and we'd obviously use a weight bearing hitch and a brake controller.

When I do the math and figure out the total weight with gear (we never travel with water), we would be under the max towing capacity, but it does seem like we would be pretty close.

What are people's thoughts?

Last edited by dvleemin; 08-20-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
With the 7900lb+ capacity of the trailer, the possibility exists you will be over the towing capability of the vehicle. If it is correct that your model has less than 7,000lb towing capacity, as it appears to have, I would say your proposal is not a good idea.

Having towed recreational equipment for 30 years, I’m comfortable in this topic.

A trailer accumulates stuff just like a house does. If you own the trailer for any appreciable amount of time, the loaded weight will have increased. It’s how it works. Dishes, blankets, tools, it all adds up in the hundreds of lbs/kgs.

I recommend staying well within the manufacturer’s ratings. Reasons:

- braking distance
- steering stability
- acceleration
- fuel economy
- drivetrain (transmission) durability
- insurance and vehicle warranty
- overall driveability

Its common for people to ignore the mfr ratings. I wouldn’t do it. There is far more to lose than there is to gain.

Electric trailer brakes and a weight distributing hitch do not justify or make it acceptable to exceed the vehicle rating.

If you haven’t purchased the trailer yet, consider another model that has a loaded weight below MB’s rating. If you already own the trailer, let your insurance company know what you plan to do and ask them to confirm your coverage in writing.

Last edited by chassis; 08-20-2020 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MaxCadillac (08-23-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE350D
Thanks.

Have not purchased the trailer yet . . .

Interesting comment on the weight increasing - I guess the one good thing is that the trailer has limited storage so unlikely that we'll add too much weight over the long run.

I guess the other thing I should mention is that a lot of camping we do is in the Alberta mountains - 3500+ feet above sea level.

Darryl
Old 08-22-2020, 02:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 GLE 350
I have 2016 GLE 350 4MATIC (I wish I would have gotten diesel).
I tow Lance trailer 5500 lbs GVWR trailer with weight distribution hitch (You must get WD hitch going above 4000 lbs) and electric breaks.
There are plenty of trailers in above weight range since you have not purchased one yet.
I agree keep weight within limits of GVWR and as long as trailer GVWR + vehicle dry weight + people/stuff in the car weight is in the limits of car's total weight capacity you should be fine.
chassis (08-22-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'17 AMG GLE 43
It seems now more than ever, risk is for front. Max is max, 1lb below max is below max. 1lb above max is above max. Stopping and sway control is biggest risk (to person and property) when towing, last is pulling (more risk to mechanicals than safety) especially up grade at altitude. Enterprise commercial rental in the US offers actual tow vehicles and can be the cost effective alternative for the actually limited "road trip" time on the actual road eliminating any concern for load, while giving up only minor creature comforts of an SUV.

To understand risk, note max in Europe on exact same vehicle is higher than in US/Canada. Why? lawyers and speed. In Europe, towing speed is reduced significantly unlike US/Canada. Be honest with your self on how you intended to tow. Risk can be mitigated by your driving style. Don't assume the vehicle nannies will make up for badd driving decisions. Adjust driving to conditions to be safer. Panic stopping is the ultimate test with the most dynamic loads, static/rolling loads pale in comparison. YMWV

Enjoy the journey.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE350
At almost 34' long you'd be crazy to pull that trailer with such a short wheelbase vehicle. Weight wise you are going to be at the max once you load it up with water, propane and all the other stuff the wife wants to take along. I don't care how good of a weight distribution hitch you have or how good the sway control is that is just too much trailer for a GLE. I've been pulling toyhaulers for more years than I care to remember and my 1st toyhauler was about 10 feet shorter than the trailer you are looking at and weighed about the same and I pulled it with an extra cab 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup truck with a wheelbase of 164" with a properly setup up weight distribution hitch and sway control and while the truck pulled it well you knew it was there. I can't imagine pulling that same trailer with with a 117" wheelbase vehicle. Realistically speaking the GLE shouldn't be towing anything over 21-22' max
chassis (09-01-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
Hi, I'm new here. I have a 2020 GLE 450 and need to tow my 4,500 trailer. This should be no problem with the 7,000 + towing capacity of my factory installed mb tow package, however, my local trailer brake installer has no idea how to wire or where the wires to install the brake controller. Anyone know?? I normally tow with my Toyota sequoia so, my mb isn't set up for the brakes.
chassis (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 06:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mb camper
Hi, I'm new here. I have a 2020 GLE 450 and need to tow my 4,500 trailer. This should be no problem with the 7,000 + towing capacity of my factory installed mb tow package, however, my local trailer brake installer has no idea how to wire or where the wires to install the brake controller. Anyone know?? I normally tow with my Toyota sequoia so, my mb isn't set up for the brakes.
@mb camper Welcome! Have you read the towing thread from GLE John all the way from start to finish? Also have you used the search button? This comes up relatively often. Please post your results.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
Have you looked at the Keystone Outbacks with rear slides? There is a 240 URS model that has a king bed in the rear slide, and an area for the dogs. Its pretty lightweight too. We have the smaller 210 URS version and really like it. There is also a 280 rs that looks like it has a big rear slide and a side slide. Don't know how heavy that is though.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 GLE 350
See my write up on this.

Originally Posted by mb camper
See this thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...onnection.html