GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

'24 GLS450 Order, Questions/Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 06:29 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
N/A
EDIT- Order Canceled

Hi all. So I was originally set for an AMG GLE Coupe order when build guide released, but had plans change (family getting bigger) and we cancelled. Wife and I discussed, we're going to stick with MB and go for a GLS as it's more suited to us being a 1 car family. Should be solidifying order this week with a F&F discount for a March/April delivery. Wanted to get some feedback on my build:
  • Obsidian Black
  • Bahia Brown Leather
  • Grey Oak Wood Trim
  • 22" AMG Multispoke w/ Black Accents
  • 6 Seat Configuration
  • Pinnacle Trim
  • AMG Line
  • Night Package
  • Illuminated Running Boards
  • Chrome Load Sill Guard
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Topstitched Dash and Door Trim
  • Warmth & Comfort Package
  • Soft Close Doors
  • Power 2nd Row Sunshades
  • 5 Zone Climate Control
  • Acoustic Comfort Package
  • Burmester 3D Surround
  • Trailer Hitch
  • Trailer Maneuvering Assist
  • 2nd Row Airbags
  • Magic Vison Control
  • Wheel Locking Bolts
  • First Aid Kit

Essentially, I'm almost entirely optioned out with a MSRP of $110,380 (before discount). Apologies if these have been discussed before, but I'm new to MB and possibly putting deposit down this week.
  1. a similar 580 build is around $15k more. This will be more of a family cruiser, I'm thinking that is money well saved when my wife could care less about power and the V6 seems entirely sufficient (plus better on gas)?
  2. do the 22's/23's ride considerably worse than the 21's or is it negligible?
  3. is there any negative to the obsidian black over 'normal' black? I saw them in person and thought the Obsidian gave a more luxurious look, especially on the GLS.
  4. is magic vision control a gimmick or does it actually work well?
  5. I'm not an audiophile but I enjoy music on longer rides. The 3D Burmester is a huge chunk of change, is it justified?
  6. my build date wouldn't be until March or April, they're double checking tomorrow to make certain. At this point....we have a car we can utilize until this summer if needed. Should I wait for '25 models or is GLS likely going to be exact same anyways due to the '24 just getting refreshed?
Thanks in advance and if there was any other feedback you wanted to offer, I'm all ears!

Last edited by dmash; 12-21-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 355 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Looks awesome! My comments:

-The inline 6 in the 450 is fantastic, I don't think going up to the 580 is worth it
-I think the 22s ride similarly to the 21s. They're actually a physically larger tire. The 19 20 and 21 inch wheels on the GLS have 30.9 inch tires, woth the 21s having 5 inches of sidewall, while the 22s and 23s have 32.2 inch tall tires, and the 22s have about the same (technically 0.1 inches taller) sidewall versus the 21s. The 23s on the other hand I've never driven, but have heard are a little more crashy. Of note, the 21s come on all seasons, the 22s come on summer tires and winter/all season options are limited.
-I think Obsidian is less black then the regular black. Maybe becuase of the metallic.
-No comments omn MVC
-Listen to a base audio car, I've heard the 2024s are really good for base audio.
-next model year doesn't usually seem to happen until September, meaining release not until October/November, so you'd likely almost a year from now for a 2025.
The following users liked this post:
dmash (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 09:02 PM

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts
'23 GLS450
That's a nice build. I'm not a fan of the 22" wheels and you may want to check if those are summer tires you're getting. Very difficult to get winter and all-season for 22" and bigger wheels these days.
Most people don't think too much about Captain's chairs until they fold the third row down and notice a gap in the center of the 2nd row for stuff to roll into. I prefer max passenger + max cargo so I couldn't do Captain's chairs.

If they're making you wait that long, I'd consider all my options (especially BMW's blowout sale on the X7s this month).

Last edited by EWL5; 12-17-2023 at 09:06 PM.
dmash (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 09:05 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by EWL5
That's a nice build. I'm not a fan of the 22" wheels and you may want to check if those are summer tires you're getting. Very difficult to get winter and all-season for 22" and bigger wheels these days.

If they're making you wait that long, I'd consider all my options (especially BMW's blowout sale on the X7s this month).
What kind of discount are the X7's clocking in at? Keep in mind I'd be getting ~12% off this build as its Friends and Family as well. I spec'd an X7 to my liking and MSRP was close to the same, but every BMW I've driven seems to be a touch less luxury/comfortable to me. My wife wants pure luxury, comfort, and noise isolation. We thought MB did that best (not that the X7 is bad, just thought it's more sporty).
Old 12-17-2023, 09:09 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by dmash
What kind of discount are the X7's clocking in at? Keep in mind I'd be getting ~12% off this build as its Friends and Family as well. I spec'd an X7 to my liking and MSRP was close to the same, but every BMW I've driven seems to be a touch less luxury/comfortable to me. My wife wants pure luxury, comfort, and noise isolation. We thought MB did that best (not that the X7 is bad, just thought it's more sporty).
If you go through a broker, it is possible to get close to 12% off an X7 and the icing on the cake is the 2.99% financing this month.
My wife actually thought the X7 was more luxurious inside when we test drove it but she didn't care for the front. If you max out an X7 40i, I think that's gotta be more fun to drive than the GLS450!

Which region of the US are you in?
dmash (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 09:10 PM

N/A
If you go through a broker, it is possible to get close to 12% off an X7 and the icing on the cake is the 2.99% financing this month.
My wife actually thought the X7 was more luxurious inside when we test drove it but she didn't care for the front. If you max out an X7 40i, I think that's gotta be more fun to drive than the GLS450!
That's really interesting perspective, I might jump to a BMW dealer and let her try. I'm of the exact same mentality though, that front end is just awful in my opinion. Don't know if I could be content with it. Pretty sure she's hooked on the idea of MB.

2.99% is definitely untouchable though.

I'm in TX and FL, bounce back and forth.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:12 PM

'23 GLS450
That's really interesting perspective, I might jump to a BMW dealer and let her try. I'm of the exact same mentality though, that front end is just awful in my opinion. Don't know if I could be content with it.

2.99% is definitely untouchable though.

I'm in TX and FL, bounce back and forth.
Keep all your options open! If the front is a deal-breaker, you can always do Range Rover, etc.
Note that the 2.99% financing is only on cars delivered by Jan 2!

The GLS450 is my wife's car and she got what she wanted and I'm sure yours will too!
Old 12-17-2023, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 523 Posts
MB
  1. Stick with the V6 if you don't care much or require the extra power of the V8. I wonder if resale values on the 580 are significantly more than the 450, not sure how that might affect your decision.
  2. Negligible. Do budget for winter tires if your region requires them. 21s and 22s have winter options, 23s do not.
  3. Obsidian black is better IMO. It hides swirls and scratches better. I have the regular black and personally I'd avoid black altogether but I didn't custom build mine. Black cars generally run hotter in the summer soaking up the rays and I find them harder to keep looking clean.
  4. Magic vision works great but replacement wiper blades are pricey.
  5. The standard Burmeister is adequate and should be fine if you're not an audiophile.
  6. MY25 should be the same as MY24 which is the mid-cycle refresh. Mercedes has a history of a 7yr cycle. This is 3rd gen x167 and 4th gen x168 should be around 2027.

Last edited by wildta; 12-17-2023 at 11:44 PM.
dmash (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 10:51 PM

Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts
GLS450 (2024), C300 (2023), EQE350+ (2024)
They just facelifted the 24 model, so there won't be any significant changes in 25 model.
I second EWL on captain chairs. They are not really any more comfortable than the bench seats while the bench seats are more versatile (but if you plan to use the 3rd row most of the time, 6-seat configuration offers easier access). At least make sure to check out both versions in person before finalizing your order. Same with the wheels. Stay away from 22/23 unless you really care for the looks and are ok with all the complexities that come with larger wheels. You will lose the spare tire with 3D sound (to accommodate the subwoofer) and for most people, the standard audio is more than adequate.
I'm curious why you decided on gray oak trim. Did you see the combination in person? Of course it's totally a matter of personal taste and gray oak is always a safe choice but with brown leather seats, why not trying brown trims (walnut if you prefer matte or linden wood if glossy)?
Lastly, since you have already pretty much added all options, check out the rear spoiler too and see if you like the aesthetics (some do, some don't).
As for the pricing, it is easier to get better discounts on X7 which is great if you are going to purchase the car, but if you are planning to lease, keep in mind that X7 has lower residual which can easily negate the impact of the additional discounts (and I haven't check the used market, but perhaps that lower residual on X7 is also an indicative of lower resale value). 12% discount on a GLS is pretty much phenomenal in this day and age.
The following 2 users liked this post by rayzam:
EWL5 (12-18-2023), wyatt88 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 11:01 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by rayzam
They just facelifted the 24 model, so there won't be any significant changes in 25 model.
I second EWL on captain chairs. They are not really any more comfortable than the bench seats while the bench seats are more versatile (but if you plan to use the 3rd row most of the time, 6-seat configuration offers easier access). At least make sure to check out both versions in person before finalizing your order. Same with the wheels. Stay away from 22/23 unless you really care for the looks and are ok with all the complexities that come with larger wheels. You will lose the spare tire with 3D sound (to accommodate the subwoofer) and for most people, the standard audio is more than adequate.
I'm curious why you decided on gray oak trim. Did you see the combination in person? Of course it's totally a matter of personal taste and gray oak is always a safe choice but with brown leather seats, why not trying brown trims (walnut if you prefer matte or linden wood if glossy)?
Lastly, since you have already pretty much added all options, check out the rear spoiler too and see if you like the aesthetics (some do, some don't).
As for the pricing, it is easier to get better discounts on X7 which is great if you are going to purchase the car, but if you are planning to lease, keep in mind that X7 has lower residual which can easily negate the impact of the additional discounts (and I haven't check the used market, but perhaps that lower residual on X7 is also an indicative of lower resale value). 12% discount on a GLS is pretty much phenomenal in this day and age.

-As we're thinking more about it, perhaps 7 seater is much better idea with a newborn in tow soon.

-As for the wood trim, most factory orders I see go with the grey oak when paired with Bahia. The walnut looks good with the beige/black interior as it's darker, but has the wrong undertones to flow with Bahia (my opinion). I'd consider Linden, but the center console area is incredibly odd and uses black plastic instead of the matching wood like every other trim option. I have no idea why MB would do that, another user on here also stated his displeasure in regard to it.

-The Burmester still has me thinking though as $4550 isn't a small amount. Going to research some more.

Good food for thought though, thank you!

Last edited by dmash; 12-18-2023 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:54 PM

N/A
Did some research after above comments, talked it over with the wife. We're changing a few things!

-Going with 7 Seats instead of Captain's chairs, much smarter with a newborn
-Adding the exclusive wood trim package, missed this on original build
-Keeping Obsidian Black/22's/MVC wipers
-Keeping the Burmester 3D as it gets rave reviews, don't want to have regret on this one
-Taking a plunge to my first colored car ever (strictly been a black/white/grey guy). Going with the Emerald Green as it just looks beautiful on this SUV.

Appreciate all the great feedback from everyone thus far!

Last edited by dmash; 12-18-2023 at 02:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dmash:
EWL5 (12-18-2023), wyatt88 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts
2024 GLS450
Did some research after above comments, talked it over with the wife. We're changing a few things!

-Going with 7 Seats instead of Captain's chairs, much smarter with a newborn
-Adding the exclusive wood trim package, missed this on original build
-Keeping Obsidian Black/22's/MVC wipers
-Keeping the Burmester 3D as it gets rave reviews, don't want to have regret on this one
-Taking a plunge to my first colored car ever (strictly been a black/white/grey guy). Going with the Emerald Green as it just looks beautiful on this SUV.

Appreciate all the great feedback from everyone thus far!
Sounds like a beautiful build. Mine is Emerald over Bahia Brown - I have only seen one, but don’t think we will be disappointed.

I ended up going with the 6 seater config. We don’t have kids, just an 85lb Basset Hound who goes everywhere and has a car hammock thing with a solid bottom to bridge the gap between the seats. For the occasions we do have rear seat passengers - I personally wanted the individual armrests with adjustability and a little more free space between.

I also went with the matte walnut on mine. I’ve always opted for metal in my Mercedes and wanted something different, but am not ready for glossy wood yet.

Very curious as to your thoughts on the Burmester upgrade… I waffled back and forth on it until my order locked, but just couldn’t justify $4k in the end for an audio upgrade. I checked every other box though 😂

When is yours due in?
dmash (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 08:02 AM

'23 GLS450
@dmash, I do enjoy good audio but here's some food for thought concerning the upgraded Burmester:

1) As others have said, there is no spare tire w/this package. I don't know how handy you are w/using a sealant kit but there are some ways a tire could be damaged where it just can't be repaired by any means and you wish you had a spare!

2) My personal philosophy is throw good money at home audio vs car audio. What percentage of your time will be spent in the car? The most will be on long road trips and how often does that happen in a year (I'd imagine w/a young family this is only coming later)? While it is possible to change out car audio, I think you'll agree that home audio is easier to justify changing the gear every few years. As others have stated, the stock Burmester is fine and I can confirm that it plays multichannel FLAC files if that was part of your concern.
dmash (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM

N/A
@dmash, I do enjoy good audio but here's some food for thought concerning the upgraded Burmester:

1) As others have said, there is no spare tire w/this package. I don't know how handy you are w/using a sealant kit but there are some ways a tire could be damaged where it just can't be repaired by any means and you wish you had a spare!

2) My personal philosophy is throw good money at home audio vs car audio. What percentage of your time will be spent in the car? The most will be on long road trips and how often does that happen in a year (I'd imagine w/a young family this is only coming later)? While it is possible to change out car audio, I think you'll agree that home audio is easier to justify changing the gear every few years. As others have stated, the stock Burmester is fine and I can confirm that it plays multichannel FLAC files if that was part of your concern.

Ehhhhh I’m so conflicted.

This is my first actual build out for a vehicle and don’t want to have any regrets. Always had cars off the lot and would inevitably say ‘I really wish it had this’ concerning one or two things. I just hate to be in a position where I have regret I didn’t option out something, especially when it’s impossible to retrofit afterwards, like the Burmester.

I definitely see your point on the lack of spare though. I guess I was thinking in my head of worst case, I’d have Mercedes Roadside Assistance?

I just see ao many posts raving about the Burmester 3D being exquisite, so I’m really pushed towards wanting it. Perhaps it makes Baby Shark more easily listened to as well? 😂
EWL5 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:10 AM

'23 GLS450
I definitely see your point on the lack of spare though. I guess I was thinking in my head of worst case, I’d have Mercedes Roadside Assistance?
I have thought the same and thought to myself, "Mercedes Roadside Assistance is included in the first couple of years. Why wouldn't I just rely on that?"

If you're lucky enough to have the flat in an urban area, help may come within 30 minutes. If you're somewhere in the woods, it may not come at all!
You can probably count on something in the middle where the process will take well over an hour with Roadside Assistance vs simply changing the flat within 15-20 minutes yourself and getting on with your day!
It's always better to have options (have the spare than none at all)!

Out of curiosity, what about the 3D Burmester makes it "worth it"? I do enjoy good music and am a member of a number of forums including AVS and AudioScienceReview.

Last edited by EWL5; 12-18-2023 at 10:12 AM.
dmash (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:16 AM

N/A
I have thought the same and thought to myself, "Mercedes Roadside Assistance is included in the first couple of years. Why wouldn't I just rely on that?"

If you're lucky enough to have the flat in an urban area, help may come within 30 minutes. If you're somewhere in the woods, it may not come at all!
You can probably count on something in the middle where the process will take well over an hour with Roadside Assistance vs simply changing the flat within 15-20 minutes yourself and getting on with your day!
It's always better to have options (have the spare than none at all)!

Out of curiosity, what about the 3D Burmester makes it "worth it"? I do enjoy good music and am a member of a number of forums including AVS and AudioScienceReview.
Just from what I’ve read, people say the base Burmester can be a bit tinny, lacking depth, lows aren’t really existent.

I’m not a Basshead whatsoever, I just love good clarity and it to sound nice and crisp across the entire range.

Again, I’m not sure it’s a 100% requirement but I’ll be kicking myself if I don’t get it, then feel the base is lacking.
EWL5 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Just from what I’ve read, people say the base Burmester can be a bit tinny, lacking depth, lows aren’t really existent.

I’m not a Basshead whatsoever, I just love good clarity and it to sound nice and crisp across the entire range.

Again, I’m not sure it’s a 100% requirement but I’ll be kicking myself if I don’t get it, then feel the base is lacking.
Any chance you can get into one at your local dealer with your playlist? The basic Burmeister is fine but if you're an audiophile then do the upgrade. How were the sound systems in your previous vehicles? Were they the upgraded systems or standard?
Old 12-18-2023, 10:23 AM

'23 GLS450

I don't like Mercedes' technology for bass in the standard system using the car to help resonate LFE frequencies in the footwell, etc (they call it FrontBass).
If adding the subwoofer in the trunk helps, then I would agree to spend the extra money on the 3D system (knowing the spare and all its advantages are gone).
I just hate that a dedicated sub is not standard and car companies these days will use any means to save a buck!
dmash (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:24 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by wildta
Any chance you can get into one at your local dealer with your playlist? The basic Burmeister is fine but if you're an audiophile then do the upgrade. How were the sound systems in your previous vehicles? Were they the upgraded systems or standard?
the most direct correlation is can give is on my current (mini 4 month lease) of a 2024 Volvo XC90 Recharge. It’s outfitted with Harmon Kardon and not the top tier Bowers and Wilkins. I don’t feel the HK is sufficient and is a touch muddy in some areas. This is another reason I’m heavily leaning towards the 3D option, as others on Volvo forums said kind of the same feedback for these two systems. Base is adequate but not great.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:26 AM

N/A
I don't like Mercedes' technology for bass in the standard system using the car to help resonate LFE frequencies in the footwell, etc (they call it FrontBass).
If adding the subwoofer in the trunk helps, then I would agree to spend the extra money on the 3D system (knowing the spare and all its advantages are gone).
I just hate that a dedicated sub is not standard and car companies these days will use any means to save a buck!
amen to that, cost cutting everywhere it seems, but it is what it is.

i hate the technological ‘fake’ outputs as well. It’s just weird to me for the most part.

I really appreciate all your well thought out replies and input!
EWL5 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
amen to that, cost cutting everywhere it seems, but it is what it is.

i hate the technological ‘fake’ outputs as well. It’s just weird to me for the most part.

I really appreciate all your well thought out replies and input!
I think you just need to go with the upgraded system, your car will come with a tire sealant kit, buy an additional tire plug kit from Amazon for additional backup, jam out to your baby shark, and don't look back. In my 30yrs of driving, I've only had three tire issues, two were nails where one was patched and the other had to be replaced and the third was my mother's car with low pressure because she never checks her tires--all in urban settings. One of my nail issues was detected by my ears, I could hear the repetitive metal nail head hitting the road with each revolution, it wasn't leaking air so after the weekend I made an appt at discount tire (they do free patches) and they fixed it right up in about 30min.

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe tire issues really aren't common. With a spare in your trunk, it's nice to know you'll never get stranded but even calculating the likelihood of you being 100s of miles from help just isn't common especially if you already know you don't go out to those desolate places, plus the likelihood of such a tire issue that isn't fixable with a plug or sealant kit makes this even less of an issue, again depending on how and where you travel. Visually checking your tires and checking on the tire pressure for your load every so often helps too.

Last edited by wildta; 12-18-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I'm not in love with having my bass staged at the front, myself.

My prior Silverado and current Suburban have the top tier Bose offerings, and GM chooses to mount the sub under the console. They're the only Bose systems I have ever had that actually have lows, but it is because you are sitting right on top of the sub. The Silverado was ridiculously overpowered for the cabin, and the Suburban is equally as under powered.

I think the base Burmester will be a step up for me. Everything in the house is Paradigm, B&O and Sonos, so it's hard to find car audio to compete. I drew a line at $4,000 for car audio though.
EWL5 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 11:40 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I'm not in love with having my bass staged at the front, myself.

My prior Silverado and current Suburban have the top tier Bose offerings, and GM chooses to mount the sub under the console. They're the only Bose systems I have ever had that actually have lows, but it is because you are sitting right on top of the sub. The Silverado was ridiculously overpowered for the cabin, and the Suburban is equally as under powered.

I think the base Burmester will be a step up for me. Everything in the house is Paradigm, B&O and Sonos, so it's hard to find car audio to compete. I drew a line at $4,000 for car audio though.
​​​​​​

Technically, with the discount, I’m clocking in around $3.9k for the upgraded 3D. Another reason I’m leaning towards instead of against, haha.
EWL5 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 02:50 PM

Received 228 Likes on 170 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
I can tell you that you DO NOT want the 23's unless you like wheel repair (AMG wheels, the wheel repair guy knows all four of our cars - never met the C240 with 17" wheels)....I am in FL.

I really do prefer the V8. We have the 550 and the extra power creates a much quieter car at highway speeds. Plus the S is simply an S, not an E.

There are so many features, they just dont stop. That said, our use of the rear TV screens has been so freaking minimal that on occasion we wish we did not have them (only when loading something into the car that might hit the screens).

Old 12-18-2023, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Neither the 450 nor the 580 are audible at highway speeds...

I actually found the noise made by the 580 to be intrusive when I did get on it and hear it, personally, versus the voice of the 6.

To each his own.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '24 GLS450 Order, Questions/Feedback