Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

slk32 vs 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Improviz
I understand it perfectly, I'm just saying that it is a ridiculous, nonsensical argument.

Hmm, let's see here; first, you said:

Then, you said:

So, you're saying this isn't a flop, and has perfect intellectual consistency....fine, then please explain how a car that you said on one hand is "hardly" luxurious can still win on luxury when compared against the breathtakingly ugly GTO, unless of course your main argument is that since the Mercedes has "hardly" any luxury, and yet it "wins on luxury", then prima facie the GTO has NO luxury--in which case you've just proved our point, and with yourself to be wrong, and, well, not the sharpest knife in the debating drawer.

Nicely done.

Funny how all automotive publications seem to classify Mercedes as "luxury" cars...perhaps you know something they don't.

No, it seems quite apparent that insofar as you are concerned, the topic is whatever you deem it to be, excluding of course the one which this thread is actually about.

But here's a challenge for you: find me any automotive publication which listed the GTO as a "luxury" car. And find me one which does NOT list Mercedes as a luxury car.

Good luck.

Aren't your hands getting just a wee bit tired of grasping at straws and holding up red herrings?

But hey, here's a nice thing: we can compare. Let's just have a look at the "nonluxurious" C300, which retails at the same price as the GTO, via autos.msn.com, checked also at a few other sites (mbusa, edmunds) :

GTO C300
tranny: 4 spd auto 7 spd auto
warranty: 3/36 4/48
lifetime roadside assist n/a std
engine 16V, 67 hp/litre 24v, 76 hp/litre
brake assist n/a std
VSC n/a std
dual climate control n/a std
front side airbags n/a std
f/r side head curtain airbags n/a std
speed sensitive steering n/a std
interior air filtration n/a std
sunroof n/a std
one touch up/dn pwr windows n/a std
open/close windows/sunroof w/remote n/a std
sun sensor for climate control n/a std
weatherband radio n/a std
wood trim n/a std
tire pressure monitoring n/a std
bluetooth interface n/a std

Items available on Benz not offered on GTO: auto dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers, navigation, bi-xenon headlights, subwoofer, dvd player, heated exterior mirrors, heated seats, folding rear seat, hands free phone, telematic system, homelink system, satellite radio, heated headlight washers, rear power sunshade, 10 way memory drivers seat including power steering column w/memory, satellite radio, voice control for nav system.

Oh, yeah....that's "barely" a win if ever there was one!!

Oh, so out trots the class warfare argument again, along with name calling. You seem to have a lot of resentment towards Mercedes owners. Well, **** off, friend: I worked hard to get where I am, and make apologies to no one; NOTHING was handed to me on a silver platter, and I'm not "arrogant", I'm simply dismantling your silly argument brick by brick.
And the MSRP on your loaded C300? What was it when the last '06 models were for sale? And how does it compare to its competition? Answer that first.

And arguing the semantics of luxury is really weak when it's obvious the two are not equal.

So come on - show me what an MSRP of $30k in an '06 model gets you with MB. More content than the GTO? Of course. Class leader? Doubtful. And a LOT slower, too. Not even remotely as quick. A dog in comparison.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bantha
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
And the MSRP on your loaded C300? What was it when the last '06 models were for sale? And how does it compare to its competition? Answer that first.

And arguing the semantics of luxury is really weak when it's obvious the two are not equal.

So come on - show me what an MSRP of $30k in an '06 model gets you with MB. More content than the GTO? Of course. Class leader? Doubtful. And a LOT slower, too. Not even remotely as quick. A dog in comparison.
If someone bought a 30K C-Class in 2006, they did so simply because they wanted to be able to say they have a MB. A basic 06 C class is a pig, not fast or luxurious, compared to its market segment. No one here is arguing that its a great deal for 30k. There are far better choices at that price point..it is however a Mercedes, and to some that is paramount.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
spin spin spin evade evade evade change the subject again more red herring arguments
Sorry, but I've had enough fun for one day, and really have better things to do than to throw darts at the silly trial balloons you keep floating out whenever the old ones get popped.

Suffice it to say that it is most instructive and illustrative how first you wanted to discuss luxury, but now you're changing the argument back to speed, which illustrates how you, too, have seen the folly of your original point and abandoned it faster than Paris Hilton changes beds.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by tuscanraider
If someone bought a 30K C-Class in 2006, they did so simply because they wanted to be able to say they have a MB. A basic 06 C class is a pig, not fast or luxurious, compared to its market segment. No one here is arguing that its a great deal for 30k. There are far better choices at that price point..it is however a Mercedes, and to some that is paramount.
Thank you.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Suffice it to say that it is most instructive and illustrative how first you wanted to discuss luxury, but now you're changing the argument back to speed, which illustrates how you, too, have seen the folly of your original point and abandoned it faster than Paris Hilton changes beds.

I've never seen a mullet flip-flop so fast.

"Business in the front, party in the back."
Old 08-16-2008, 04:55 PM

CLK550
wow. tuned vs. stock and MAYBE with the stock turbo and on race gas. Not even in the realm of this debate.
I've seen stock turbo SRT-4s run 11s, so again, not a very good comparison.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 PM

CLK550
Someone said that Goats are neither luxurious nor fast (the second point is, imo, false), and then you chimed in about the price point.
I know of a local s/c GTO with around 500whp that can't run any better than 12.4 @117. That ain't exactly fast, and downright disappointing to be completely honest.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by tuscanraider
The GTO is a bungle except for the engine. We know Detroit can make some of the best motors in the world that's not even a question. But its the whole package, the Pontiac is just a flop.
The bloated weight of the GTO only serves to handicap what would normally be a very potent motor. Shave about 700 pounds off that pig, and it might actually be fast.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 AM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by RedBull
I've seen stock turbo SRT-4s run 11s, so again, not a very good comparison.
Mopar Stage 3 turbos are not stock turbos. Neither are 50 trims. NOS doesn't count, neither does slicks. And I couldn't find any "stock turbo" 11sec SRT-4s on any database - so I agree, not a very good comparison whatsoever.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 AM

Charger SRT-8
Really? Notice the title of the thread? Because $30k Mercedes are neither luxurious or fast either.

And if you still want to compare sticker to sticker, the ZR-1 holds up pretty well too.
Hmmmmm. Did I state they were equal in luxury here? Thought not. Wasted your time.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Hmmmmm. Did I state they were equal in luxury here? Thought not. Wasted your time.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:27 PM

CLK550
Mopar Stage 3 turbos are not stock turbos. Neither are 50 trims. NOS doesn't count, neither does slicks. And I couldn't find any "stock turbo" 11sec SRT-4s on any database - so I agree, not a very good comparison whatsoever.
Obviously you didn't search real hard. NeonDan on srtforums ran 11 seconds on a stock turbo stage 2 SRT years ago.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

E55 or CL600, if I could make up my mind
All this modded vs. stock, cheap vs. expensive to mod is nonsense and has been beaten to death on every single car message board.

This is the kill section, right ? Two cars meet for a highway roll, and one beat the other. WTF does it have to do with if they had heated seats, or what they dyno, or what they run in the quarter ?
Sounds like a bunch of fifth graders:
My dad's car is faster - But my Dad's car has nicer seats - blah blah blah

I'm rebuilding my track car, and there's not going to be leather seats in it. WTF for ? It has no AC either, or mufflers, or cats, or any of that stuff. It was going low 10s when I ripped it apart, and will go low 9s when it comes back together. Sorry, no navigation system, and it will handle like *****. A brand spanking new AMG will like much nicer than my 14 year old beater, too.

It has nothing to do with how fast it runs in the quarter, though. Last I checked, there was no category "Fastest car with cooled seats".
Old 08-18-2008, 10:37 PM
hbr

'05 E55 on ADV1s
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I've never seen a mullet flip-flop so fast.

"Business in the front, party in the back."
"Mississippi mudflap"

"Number 7"
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ChicagoX

Last edited by Improviz; 08-18-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by hbr
"Mississippi mudflap"

"Number 7"
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 AM

2016 Z06/Z07, 2017 AMG GT
I really don't appreciate you folks posting pictures of myself and my family online.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM

AMG
lol.
I think this conversation has gone on long enough. Deuce, you're a retard.
Close this thread...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by RedBull
Obviously you didn't search real hard. NeonDan on srtforums ran 11 seconds on a stock turbo stage 2 SRT years ago.
Did you notice that the database is down? Or that cams/gears, ported turbo and other "tunes" make for a ****-poor comparison of "tuned > stock"

Last edited by Deuuuce; 08-19-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM

Charger SRT-8
Obviously you don't realize there is crossover between SRT-8 owners and Mercedes owners. And when the GTO owner needs a larger vehicle due to life changing events...

Arrogant, stereotyping attitudes like that are the reason people will not buy a Mercedes. Nice job on one of the worst displays I've ever seen on any of the forums.

I agree, close the thread.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG

Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Deuuuce,

Isn't this you - "chumming it up" with the wrx folks? (see post #11)

Same old argument....."For the secular, narrow minded folk that have no idea about other cars (especially the 300C, jeeze)...

Mercedes platform and suspension, Sachs and Nivomats, Brembos, almost identical hp per liter at as the LS3, handling matching anything else it's size. Plenty of luxury features. It fits in, it's just $30k-$40k less for similar performance.

Calling it cheaply made and underpowered - funny, very funny.

Linky:

http://www.wrxlinks.com/viewtopic.php?id=589

So, when you're on here with us arrogant MB owners, you're all "you guys are stuck up"

But, when you're our impressing the other marques, it's defending your car as "You mean essentially the same tranny in the E55, S600, SL65, S65, etc? So far no failures from the FI and nitrous fed SRT8s. It's the rear axles that need upgrading, not the tranny.

Benz sourced platform, steering rack I believe, transmission and suspension."

I smell a serious identity crisis with you. BTW, you're the only person I've seen that puts his girlfriend's car in his sig...lol!

Last edited by Chappy; 08-19-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Oh, man...Chappy ftW!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Charger SRT-8
Do you have a point?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Why is this still going on? The SLK32 beat the GTO. GTO's aren't that quick stock, they're too heavy. How does this go on for 4 pages?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: slk32 vs 6.0 GTO