M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Size of the HE S65 vs S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Size of the HE S65 vs S600

Okay:

I have spoken with my local MB parts department, and looked at the drawings for each. And have came up with this conclusion, along with my parts manager from Bobby Rahal MB.

1. They both have the EXACT mounting tabs/location
2. They utilize the same plumbing
3. They are the same mounting dimensions, aka cooler size
4. The S65 does say High heat, more fins, thicker core just a guess
5. The S600 costs $450, the S65 costs $900

So, with this said, I don't think there is ANYTHING to be gained from using a factory S65 HE, which means aftermarket.

I know Eurocharged has one, which I will probably get unless someone here has some more info.

Anyone have ideas about our lovely heat soak issues?

PS: Please don't come back and say new intercoolers as this is out of my price range and most others here, aka Brabus $12K units.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Okay:

I have spoken with my local MB parts department, and looked at the drawings for each. And have came up with this conclusion, along with my parts manager from Bobby Rahal MB.

So, with this said, I don't think there is ANYTHING to be gained from using a factory S65 HE, which means aftermarket.

I know Eurocharged has one, which I will probably get unless someone here has some more info.

PS: Please don't come back and say new intercoolers as this is out of my price range and most others here, aka Brabus $12K units.
That is interesting. The CL600 has a much smaller HE compared to the CL65. I wouldn't have thought the S600 and S65 would have the same.

I know RENNtech has a supplemental HE and upgraded IC pump with their "intercooler package" which retails for about $4K.

I guess you will probably want to go custom like this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...l65-sl600.html

Tom
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
I think Oxygen posted before that they both have the same exact part number number..aka same thing
Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Gondon
I think Oxygen posted before that they both have the same exact part number number..aka same thing
Well they DO have a different part number. But as I said above they are the same size, sad but true. I just wish someone could explain what High Heat means, aka more fins per inch, larger tubing, etc, etc.

By the way, where is Chris these days
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
I have not been on this site in about 5 months or so... sorry.

Here is a S65 HE...

About twice as tall and has a small P/S cooler on top which replaces the meandering pipe that is used for P/S cooling on the 600s.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Oxygen
I have not been on this site in about 5 months or so... sorry.

Here is a S65 HE...

About twice as tall and has a small P/S cooler on top which replaces the meandering pipe that is used for P/S cooling on the 600s.
Okay, Chris, so my MB teck Robbi is obviously full of sh_t. AS the pictures he showed me on their computer at Bobby Rahal MB showed it being the EXACT same size.

So the question is, do we use one of these babies, or go with Eurocharged?

Or simply put, what did you do
Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Does anyone know the part number of the W220 S65 HE?

Cheers, Nick
Old 06-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Does anyone know the part number of the W220 S65 HE?

Cheers, Nick
Your best bet is to go after market with a SPEEDRIVEN or Euro Charged unit and upgrade the HE pump.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Upgrading the pump seems to make a lot of sense, but I still like the idea of a full-height HE, like the S65. Some earlier cars have zig-zag pipes for PAS cooling, but mine has the PAS cooler built into the AC condenser (like the S65 does using the HE, I think). So there's space for a full-height HE.

The after-market HE's from Speedriven and Eurocharged are deep but low-height. Its strangely difficult to find out their dimensions, but I think they're about 600 x 180 x 75 mm. A full-height HE would be around 600 x 500 x 20 mm - so different proportions, but similar volume (and presumably surface area) of the core.

However, we don't know much about what makes HE's tick, and what were the choices that the designers originally made. For example, if you increase the core depth from 20mm to 75mm, you'll get more heat transfer for the same air flow rate. However, the flow rate WON'T be the same, as the flow restriction is higher, so in the real world, less air will pass through the HE.

More than that, if a deep HE is covering the lower half of the water rad, that will encourage the air to by-pass the HE, and flow through the top half instead. That will tend to negate the extra cooling capability of the thicker HE, but we don't know by how much. The tuning companies don't tell us that - they sell us packages with bigger HE's and other tuning measures, and tell us how much extra power the overall package gives. We don't know what the components do individually - either in terms of increased power, or reduced IATs, for example.

With a full-height HE, there won't be anywhere else for the air to go - other than through the HE and the condensor and the rad. A full-height HE will increase the overall flow resistance throught the water rad, but car makers have been figuring this out for years, and now virtually all air-con condensors are full-height, but just 16mm thick. If a half-height / double-thickness condenser was a good solution, that's what everyone would be doing, but they're not.

This is largely supposition, but I suspect that a full-height HE is the best solution, and if I can use a stock aircon condenser to do the job, it would be very cost-effective.

Nick
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Upgrading the pump seems to make a lot of sense, but I still like the idea of a full-height HE, like the S65. Some earlier cars have zig-zag pipes for PAS cooling, but mine has the PAS cooler built into the AC condenser (like the S65 does using the HE, I think). So there's space for a full-height HE.

The after-market HE's from Speedriven and Eurocharged are deep but low-height. Its strangely difficult to find out their dimensions, but I think they're about 600 x 180 x 75 mm. A full-height HE would be around 600 x 500 x 20 mm - so different proportions, but similar volume (and presumably surface area) of the core.

However, we don't know much about what makes HE's tick, and what were the choices that the designers originally made. For example, if you increase the core depth from 20mm to 75mm, you'll get more heat transfer for the same air flow rate. However, the flow rate WON'T be the same, as the flow restriction is higher, so in the real world, less air will pass through the HE.

More than that, if a deep HE is covering the lower half of the water rad, that will encourage the air to by-pass the HE, and flow through the top half instead. That will tend to negate the extra cooling capability of the thicker HE, but we don't know by how much. The tuning companies don't tell us that - they sell us packages with bigger HE's and other tuning measures, and tell us how much extra power the overall package gives. We don't know what the components do individually - either in terms of increased power, or reduced IATs, for example.

With a full-height HE, there won't be anywhere else for the air to go - other than through the HE and the condensor and the rad. A full-height HE will increase the overall flow resistance throught the water rad, but car makers have been figuring this out for years, and now virtually all air-con condensors are full-height, but just 16mm thick. If a half-height / double-thickness condenser was a good solution, that's what everyone would be doing, but they're not.

This is largely supposition, but I suspect that a full-height HE is the best solution, and if I can use a stock aircon condenser to do the job, it would be very cost-effective.

Nick
Check out SPEEDRIVEN new HE its pretty tall, like the OEM ones.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Originally Posted by 1995E320Cab
Check out SPEEDRIVEN new HE its pretty tall, like the OEM ones.
Thanks.
Have you got a link?
I find it hard to get simple information from tuners websites.

Nick
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SpeedRiven SL600, ML320CDI
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Okay:

Just get the SpeedRiven HE and pump kit. They are the same for 600 and your 65 from what I know

Igor.