M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 SL600 722.6 Lurch / Jerk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600, CLS55, ML430
2005 SL600 722.6 Lurch / Jerk

Hello,

I wanted to get some insight on this issue that I am having. There is a jerk / lurch just after leaving a stop, but before shifting into second gear. It occurs just around 10 - 15 mph. If you accelerate very slowly, then this is very prominent, as the vehicle oscillates after the jerk, which almost seems as if a manual clutch was slipped off start and then once moving dumped while on the gas.

I am guessing that this has to do with the torque converter clutch locking up too early. This is definitely not related to the 1st-2nd shift. There is also a feeling of slight lag off the line.

I do know that the stator in the torque converter should not freewheel both directions, which could cause the off the line lag. Could this also cause the lurch or is this definitely lockup.

Also, when coming to a stop, I notice that the car feels like a manual with the clutch engaged. At a stop, the car does not stall, so it is unlocking.

I am familiar with a TSB regarding the Torque Converter Clutch. The glycol test has been done. I have not changed the fluid jet. I am waiting on a test tool for the fluid level, as I have seen some fluid in the underpan. I also understand that there is a connector that can leak. Where can I find this?

Thank you for the assistance.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: Transmission woes

I can't speak for the TSB's, but if you are seeing oil under the car, I would check for low fluid level asap before doing anything else or much more driving with it. The connector leak is pretty common, and is likely your leak culprit.

For what it's worth, I just had the fluid/filter in my E63 transmission changed as part of the annual service, at 19K miles, and the transmission shifts MUCH smoother. It was not malfunctioning before, but the fluid change was clearly very good for it. My SL600 transmission, with 20K miles, works flawlessly, but fluid/filter will get changed at the next service visit.

Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM

SL600, CLS55, ML430
Transmission Jerk

Well, I changed the leaking connector and flushed the transmission. The jerk is still there; though, it feels better upon being warmed up.

I have a question for all of you 722.6 owners. When you let off of the gas at around 15-20 miles per hour, does it burble as it slows down like a manual would in gear. Mine feels this way, as if there is a direct connect (locked up). Is this normal? Does this fit in with the jerk that I am noticing. Also, in pulling away from a stop it feels as if the vehicle should be moving a bit easier and then the jerk comes. Could this be a related to a malfunctioning stator in the torque converter???

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
ghaun, it has to do with the TCC lock-up PWM solenoid located in the valve body. Read my post: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...oning-rsn.html, Post #3 shows postings similar to your problem.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM

SL600, CLS55, ML430
Sorry, for the long delay. I still have this problem and was hoping that you could elaborate. I have read much of those articles, but still couldn't identify where this was the cause. I followed some of your threads, but wasn't certain if this was your resolution.

I haven't driven the car in quite a while and wanted to get this resolved.

Here is the description of the problem:

I have an R230 (SL600) with the 722.6, which exhibits a significant lurch around 2000 rpm, prior to 1-2 shift.

As I pull away from a stop, I notice the rpm increases slowly as if there is significanat load and then there is a snap as if a clutch was dumped abruptly. I have verified that this happens in 1st gear and is absolutely not the 1st-2nd shift. I have hooked up my STAR system to verify gear position. I need to get more familiar on this system to look at other tell-tale signs.

If I pull away fast from a stop, then this condition does not occur. As I am learning more of this system, I am leaning toward a TCC lock-up problem. It seems as though there is partial slipping (converter performing torque multiplication wants to turn faster than direct) from a stop, which would create the added feel of load and then the jerk/lurch is a sudden lock-up.

I still need more data points and would love to know what you have learned. I too read the cold stall issue and believe that this is related. Others have said to replace the TCC solenoid. I need more research.

BTW, this issue came about abruptly. Subsequently, I also noticed trans fluid leaking under the car and found the trans connector leaking. Trans fluid had found its way up to the TCM. I had a TCM tune and all was verified fine with the TCM. I changed the fluid and did a complete flush as well. I'm wondering could the fluid have also worked back up into the solenoid connector via the internal o-ring and caused partial damage to the pwm-controlled solenoid.

Again, it feels like once pressing the throttle the torque converter is trying to perform torque-multiplication as it should; though, the clutch is partially engaging causing the perceived drag...up until the head-jerking snap occurs (which I believe is lockup). During this snap around 2000 rpm previous to the 1-2 shift, the rpm behave as though a manual clutch is dumped without matched rpm (thus torque multiplication is still there to some extent).

I also have a very engaged decceleration, as if one is using a manual gearbox for engine braking. As I come to a stop, I feel each gear and have the burble during decel. I really like this, but don't know if this is by design.

I would appreciate any thoughts that you might have.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 05-13-2014, 06:28 AM

c32, c200k
Bumping this as I have the exact same symptoms as Greg on an 02 c32. Greg if you're still around did you manage to fix this? Anyone with any helpful advice?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
@crembz and ghaun,

Did either of you ever solve your issue? I took mine to the dealer to get codes read there were none.

-B
Old 01-10-2015, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Have you guys got a transmission dipstick tool to check the fluid level? That's the first thing to do.

Nick
Old 01-10-2015, 04:43 PM

c32, c200k
Hey mate. Swapping out the tcc pwm solenoid helped allot although I've noticed it creeping back over the past few weeks. The ec TCU tune hides the issue also, gradually applying the tcc
Old 01-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
I have the exact same issue on my S65.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:50 PM

Does any one have the part number for the TCC PWM solenoid?
Old 01-10-2015, 11:28 PM

c32, c200k
Hey mate check this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/531557-jerk-transmission-problem-solved-6.html#post6161541

Not sure if it's the same as the c32, maybe someone else can confirm that.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Here is a link to the part. It is item 35 for the S65. Looks like all the others are the same too.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAsse...category=24399
Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 PM

SL600, CLS55, ML430
All,

It has been quite some time, since I looked at this thread that I started. I have been travelling far too much and would like to get the SL600 ready for the summer.

Crembz, thanks for the link. This sounds incredibly encouraging. I also have the jerk all of the time; though, it is definitely much better when warm. I think that you mentioned that in the other thread. Also, did you have the perception of dragging prior to the lurch.

FlightTest, are you doing just the TCC PWM solenoid. Do you have insight on our shift solenoids?

I have a 2005 SL600 and a 2006 CLS55, can anybody confirm if the shift solenoids are already blue on these. What else should I replace while in there on the SL? What are symptoms of conductor plate failure?

I am really looking forward to this.

FlightTest, let me know what you find on this. What year is your 65?

I am going to replace this soon.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I recently dealt with this on my 2005 E320 CDI. I had jerking when the car was cold, with improvement once the car was warmed up. A solenoid or a conductor plate may solve the problem. However, understand that the TCC circuit has several wear points. (Think of it, the TCC is active with every forward gear shifted). The TCC solenoid is not a common source of faulty function. There are 3 parts in the TCC circuit that should be addressed. Two of them can be tested with the valve body removed and halved. Those are the 2 TCC valves. One can be replaced without tooling the other requires tooling. The valves themselves are not expensive but I don't think this level of work is DIY stuff. The third part of the TCC circuit has to do with the TCC clutch plates within the torque converter. Here are the 4 things that I had replaced.

1,2 both TCC valves
3 conductor plate
4 I had my torque converter rebuilt with updated Sonnax designed clutch pack

Problem is gone. For more info google "sonnax 722.6 TCC".
Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 PM

SL600, CLS55, ML430
Listed part number: 1402770435

I have found that part number: 2402701700 supersedes the above.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 04-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Ml420
I have the sonnax valve body kits (new) for the 722.6 if anybody is interested. Also have a good used tcc pwm solenoid.

Offers
Old 05-03-2017, 10:25 AM

e220 cdi 2005
Originally Posted by Tschuss_Bill
I recently dealt with this on my 2005 E320 CDI. I had jerking when the car was cold, with improvement once the car was warmed up. A solenoid or a conductor plate may solve the problem. However, understand that the TCC circuit has several wear points. (Think of it, the TCC is active with every forward gear shifted). The TCC solenoid is not a common source of faulty function. There are 3 parts in the TCC circuit that should be addressed. Two of them can be tested with the valve body removed and halved. Those are the 2 TCC valves. One can be replaced without tooling the other requires tooling. The valves themselves are not expensive but I don't think this level of work is DIY stuff. The third part of the TCC circuit has to do with the TCC clutch plates within the torque converter. Here are the 4 things that I had replaced.

1,2 both TCC valves
3 conductor plate
4 I had my torque converter rebuilt with updated Sonnax designed clutch pack

Problem is gone. For more info google "sonnax 722.6 TCC".

the mechanic told me that he changed the TC solenoid and I saw it but since I dont know the exact position, now I am doubting if all the valves are the same and maybe they replaced not TC solenoid valve??
is there a option to make this mistake??
or they are not the same and the mistake cannot be done??
thanks
Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55
I was having a similar issue with the 722.6 trans in my 2006 E320 CDI w/200k. Slight judder/oscillation under hard acceleration or climbing hills... RPMs had a slight fluctuation at cruising speeds...jerky 1-2 shifts when cold...with the occasional shudder coming to a stop. Purchased a new TCC/PWM solenoid on ebay for less than $30 and had it installed at a local transmission shop and now my transmission almost shifts like new.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:10 PM

2005 SL600 V12
Originally Posted by jruerph
I was having a similar issue with the 722.6 trans in my 2006 E320 CDI w/200k. Slight judder/oscillation under hard acceleration or climbing hills... RPMs had a slight fluctuation at cruising speeds...jerky 1-2 shifts when cold...with the occasional shudder coming to a stop. Purchased a new TCC/PWM solenoid on ebay for less than $30 and had it installed at a local transmission shop and now my transmission almost shifts like new.
R230 M275 722.6 VICTORY !!!

Whatever you do to your 722.6, try replacing the TCC/PWM solenoid first - not last - like I did - of course hindsight is 20/20 - was experience significant RPM fluctuations especially during neighborhood driving - start and stop - and even very noticeable at cruise 50,60,70 - just an ongoing, minor incredibly annoying minor surging - nothing really makor problematic - still ran like a bat-of-hell when you stomped on it - but ANNOYING - especially for a car that had a sticker of over $130,000 once !!! So first I tried the transmission plug replacement and of course the filter and fluid - did improve drive but the ‘fluttering’ ‘minor lurching’ ‘rpm fluctionations’ persisted - then I broke down and did a full overhaul including TC, conductor plate, clutches, etc - again better shifting and smoother riding BUT still the A N N O Y I N G problem persisted - after hours and hours of reading the wisdom on this forum from fellow R230 enthusiasts became CONVINCED that the TCC/PWM was the culprit - went back to transmission shop with MBUSA bought solenoid and dropped off my RED MONSTER - they looked at me like really !? I showed POSTS I’d printed and said ‘REALLY’ - day later got the call from the shop - ‘we believe you we’re right, resolves 90+% of the ‘surging’ - couldn’t wait to get there and pick it up - OH MY GOSH - result: dead solid RPM on highway, save for normal increase decrease on inclines/declines - shifting up into higher gears firmly, downshifting and holding gears much better - on gentle acceration, near perfect run through of gears - couldn’t ask for more - EXCEPT if I had swapped the dang TCC/PWM solenoid first - happy that with 80,000 miles, my baby and it’s fresh transmission will probably outlast me !!!

MY RED MONSTER