Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Technical & Vehicle Assistance Forums > Mercedes Tech Talk > M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform
CL65 M279 Stock Turbos - length of reliability question >

CL65 M279 Stock Turbos - length of reliability question

Notices
M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-02-2018, 01:33 AM

'08 CL65 AMG Prior Design Wide Body

Curious as to how long people believe the stock turbos last from a mileage perspective before they fail.

My experience at Weistec has been amazing and I'm considering internal upgrades on the stock turbos as a preventative measure.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ford Mondeo
Turbos last a very long time if the engine is well-looked after.

If they fail, it's usually because of poor lubrication, cooling or filtering elsewhere, rather than because they run out of life.

It's important that you let the turbos cool down for a few minutes before shutting down, otherwise they're kinda bob-proof.

I have a V12TT at 165k miles, and I've had both turbos out recently.

Nick
The Following User Says Thank You to Welwynnick For This Useful Post:
slowdiver (03-03-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 12:29 PM

'06 SL65
I second Nick's evaluation. I have only owned turbocharged vehicles my entire life. With a combined mileage of close to 1 million miles, and I have never replaced a turbo for wear. Turbo longevity is more operator dependent than mileage dependent. If you keep surging to a minimum, maintain EGTs in check, and cool them down before shutdown, they will live a long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to PrecisionEngine For This Useful Post:
slowdiver (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 PM

'08 CL65 AMG Prior Design Wide Body
Originally Posted by Welwynnick View Post
Turbos last a very long time if the engine is well-looked after.

If they fail, it's usually because of poor lubrication, cooling or filtering elsewhere, rather than because they run out of life.

It's important that you let the turbos cool down for a few minutes before shutting down, otherwise they're kinda bob-proof.

I have a V12TT at 165k miles, and I've had both turbos out recently.

Nick
Thank You Nick

So when you guys refer to "cooling" the turbos down, are you referring to simply letting the car idle for 5 minutes before shut off?

Last edited by slowdiver; 03-03-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:30 PM

-
It is said that the M279 turbos are capable of flowing similar amounts of air as the black series turbos as they are more or less identical. I was told that they are able to deliver around 800hp (crank) with just a downpipe and ECU tune (maybe a slight update of the intercooler system as well) Can anyone confirm this to be true? Is it possible to plug and play them on a M275 engine? Sorry for the slight off topic, I did not want to open a new thread for this question.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:47 PM

2007 C216 CL600
Originally Posted by PrecisionEngine View Post
If you keep surging to a minimum, maintain EGTs in check, and cool them down before shutdown, they will live a long time.
What is surging and what are EGT's? (sorry non-native English speaker here)
Old 07-03-2018, 08:15 PM

'06 SL65
Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
What is surging and what are EGT's? (sorry non-native English speaker here)
Compressor surge or stall is generally occurs when compressor side pressures are higher than the compressor can sustain. For example, when you quickly release the throttle, which causes the throttle plate to slam closed. The reaction from that event is that the pressure between the throttle plate and turbo inlet quickly spikes. At the same time, Exhaust back pressure is being decreased because total mass flow being used by the engine is decreasing (EBP is usually 1:1 or slightly higher than boost on a well designed system). So now, the pressure on the compressor side is actually higher than EBP. This leads to a Stall or surge condition. Commonly known by others as the sound " waoosh waoosh waoosh" sound or "sounds like a plastic bag in the wind"

"EGTs" are Exhaust Gas Temperature. They are commonly measured before the turbocharger or after the turbocharger.

Last edited by PrecisionEngine; 07-03-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:03 PM

2007 C216 CL600
Cool. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
279 turbos will bolt right on to a 275, same engine/head. The exhaust outlet may be slightly different but I think where it meets the downpipe is the same. I've replaced turbos on a 279, they look exactly like the 275 units from what I could see, although I didn't have them side by side to compare sadly.
The Following User Says Thank You to ItalianJoe1 For This Useful Post:
black-series (07-04-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 AM

SL65 R230
Renntech or MKB get 730 Crank-HP out of the R231 SL65 M279 with an ECU-Tune. Maybe with downpipes you get a little more.

But now way 800 real Crank HP with stock M279 Turbos.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 AM

-
Well, I was confused as well but in case the turbos are technically identical to the black series turbos it might be possible. Renntech gets 800 crank hp out of the SL BS as well.
I got the information from GAD Motors and although I have no personal experience with them, real life performance doesn't lie. And boy do their cars deliver in real life, they build the fastest Mercedes cars in the world. So it's safe to say they know what they are doing. And the statements I got were very conservative as I was told the M275 turbos have trouble hitting the 700 crank hp mark, no matter what you do to the car. The exhaust side just kills all efforts to go any further. So they definitely seem to know what they are talking about.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:54 AM

SL65 R230
Yes, this special one off white SL65 BS from Renntech from the old RT-Days was advertised with 800 or 805 Crank HP. But this was never confirmed or proved with results.

I highly doubt it and without machining the Turbos and change the internals it is not possible in my opinion.

GAD-Motors is the best adress for Mercedes High-HP builts. My picture in the Avatar is my SL in their Headquarter, Stuttgart Germany, while upgrading my Intercooler-Pump.