Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Message in the Information Center- How to change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message in the Information Center- How to change?

A week ago in my 2004.5 c230k a message came up that said "Break damage, seek repair" or something similiar to that. I took it to MB and after $110 in service, they said it was telling me that the front breaks are down to the wear sensors. So i had my breaks done (not through MB, as to save a couple hundred bucks) and now i still have that message on my information screen.

How can i reset the information in the cars computer so i dont see that message every time i start it up? Is that possible to do, or am i going to have to take another 100+ for service?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

You have to replace the wear sensor, the light will go away.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM

cheaper than a benz...
wear sensor is missing...5$ item or so....
Old 03-08-2007, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Pay the dealer the couple of hundred bucks that you saved and he will make the message go away.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:05 PM

2007 ML350
either the wear sensor is missing or is worn down. just a couple of bucks for a new sensor and it is an easy DIY.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:10 AM

Great. Thanks for the help guys.

Where can i get this sensor?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
you have a bigger problem than you think if the screen says "breaks"....
Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mbbodytech
you have a bigger problem than you think if the screen says "breaks"....
Yea, its called being inarticulate.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 PM

cheaper than a benz...
thats what you get for being cheap..especially if you did not usereal mb replacement pads!!...

you ought to question the person that did your brakes..if they really knew what they were doing they'd repl the BRAKE wear sensors.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Ha yeah "brakes" there we go. That post was at the end of a looooong day.

Any ideas on where to get the sensor?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by hss0p
Any ideas on where to get the sensor?
You've got 3 guesses. And the first 2 probably won't count.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM

cheaper than a benz...
you can get the sensors at any mercedes benz dealership
Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM

Lexus
Just twist the 2 wires together if you have the old sensors. And remember to change your pads because the message senter will never tell you again "
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 PM

cheaper than a benz...
Originally Posted by williws
Just twist the 2 wires together if you have the old sensors. And remember to change your pads because the message senter will never tell you again "
this is the kind of crap i hate to see people do on a mercedes
either you fix it right..or get rid of the car...

having that wear sensor is for YOUR and MY SAFETY...i also travel on the same roads you do...i take responisbilty to fix my own personal car and make sure it is safe

the sensor is on there to let you know when the pad life is at its end.
with out that sensor...you will never know when to change your pads...unless you get your car checked on a regular basis.

say the pads are worn out and you have not had the car serviced in a long period of time...and you need your brakes in an emergency situation and you are unable to stop....you would never had known that since you bypassed the sensor

im not mad at the poster of this topic

i am mad at the person that told you to bypass the wear sensor...THAT IS Stupidity and ignorance

btw willi i replied to your post in another forum....YOU NEED TO STOP WORKING ON YOUR OWN VEHICLES..YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

AND YOU BETTER STOP SUGGESTING TO PEOPLE TO BYPASS SAFTETY RELATED ITEMS...NOT ONLY IS IT STUPID....BUT YOU ARE GOING TO GET SOMEONE HURT OR KILLED

..also you need to let someone who is trained to work on a mercedes and not a hack.
YOU ARENT THE ONLY PERSON DRIVING ON THE ROAD

Sorry if i come across as an @$$ hole..but i am very **** about how things are done..and when safety is jepordized..well that concerns me

i have over 5years experience with and on M-Benz
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fixbenz
this is the kind of crap i hate to see people do on a mercedes
either you fix it right..or get rid of the car...

having that wear sensor is for YOUR and MY SAFETY...i also travel on the same roads you do...i take responisbilty to fix my own personal car and make sure it is safe

the sensor is on there to let you know when the pad life is at its end.
with out that sensor...you will never know when to change your pads...unless you get your car checked on a regular basis.

say the pads are worn out and you have not had the car serviced in a long period of time...and you need your brakes in an emergency situation and you are unable to stop....you would never had known that since you bypassed the sensor

im not mad at the poster of this topic

i am mad at the person that told you to bypass the wear sensor...THAT IS Stupidity and ignorance

btw willi i replied to your post in another forum....YOU NEED TO STOP WORKING ON YOUR OWN VEHICLES..YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

AND YOU BETTER STOP SUGGESTING TO PEOPLE TO BYPASS SAFTETY RELATED ITEMS...NOT ONLY IS IT STUPID....BUT YOU ARE GOING TO GET SOMEONE HURT OR KILLED

..also you need to let someone who is trained to work on a mercedes and not a hack.
YOU ARENT THE ONLY PERSON DRIVING ON THE ROAD

Sorry if i come across as an @$$ hole..but i am very **** about how things are done..and when safety is jepordized..well that concerns me

i have over 5years experience with and on M-Benz
You are absolutly correct and sadly there are lots of these people on this forum. plus those who really mess up there cars and endanger others like those who do the bixenon conversion with junk lights and no levelers. Thats only one example, lots of bottom feeders here and on other forums. They would rather spend whatever money they have putting cheap wheels on and then they complain about what dealers charge. Frankly maybe MB should raise the prices of these vehicles, build less of them and maybe these types could not afford them.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Lexus
So a corvette is unsafe because it does not have brake wear sensors??
How about Ferarri? Or 90% of other cars on the road? Fixbenz you are crazy.

It is not a safety issue, it is a warning light. Anyone with a brain that has driven a car knows when their brakes wear out.

I would get the sensors for 4 dollars apiece so I don't have to see the screen, but in no way would I even think I was unsafe without them.. (he was asking for options, I gave him one)It would be unsafe to drive with bad brakes but everyone knows when mercedes brakes are bad. The person 3 cars away will hear your brakes when they get close to being bad.

Now we have to have break wear sensors to be safe. It is not an integral part of the brake system btw, its just to let you know that your brakes are worn. How did anyone every figure this out before wear sensors? Where the road that unsafe before wear sensors?

Again, I would and have always replace the sensors, but the sensors are only 2 wires soldered together and strategically placed in the brake pads to get cut apart by the rotor when the pads get low. If your brakes are bad replace them simple as that. If you have sbc, dont forget to unplug your batt, ......or else.

Last edited by ScottCLS55; 03-13-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sosh
You are absolutly correct and sadly there are lots of these people on this forum. plus those who really mess up there cars and endanger others like those who do the bixenon conversion with junk lights and no levelers. Thats only one example, lots of bottom feeders here and on other forums. They would rather spend whatever money they have putting cheap wheels on and then they complain about what dealers charge. Frankly maybe MB should raise the prices of these vehicles, build less of them and maybe these types could not afford them.
Here's to that! How about some real safety inspections too, anyone here ever heard of TüF, the inspection every car in Germany must go through to be legal? Brutal is all I can say, and I love it. 75% of the cars in this country would be taken off the road (and thankfully 95% of the drivers).
Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 AM

2000 C230 sport
Originally Posted by hss0p
A week ago in my 2004.5 c230k a message came up that said "Break damage, seek repair" or something similiar to that. I took it to MB and after $110 in service, they said it was telling me that the front breaks are down to the wear sensors. So i had my breaks done (not through MB, as to save a couple hundred bucks) and now i still have that message on my information screen.

How can i reset the information in the cars computer so i dont see that message every time i start it up? Is that possible to do, or am i going to have to take another 100+ for service?

Thanks guys!
Originally Posted by williws
rofl...IBTL this kind of crap belongs in a toyota corolla forum.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 AM

Lexus
He big guy, before you are quick to talk smack, did you know a new 2007 corolla costs more than your 2000 c230?

Why talk s H i T like that?

A Mercedes is just another car. You are not driving a LAMBO.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 PM

cheaper than a benz...
it is a safety reminder...most people now days just know turn the key and the car starts..and when it doesnt..they have it towed to get it fixed by a tech..
brakes are often overlooked by owners until they either have a brake problem or whatever.....most people are just oblivious to a cars working...trust me i have seen my fair share...and most people dont have the slightest clue.

the reason why mb put those sensors on there was a safety precaution..to remind you the brakes are worn..

willi or whatever your name is...
do you have over 4 years experience, not counting the training involved on a mercedes benz?
im pretty sure the answer is NO..

my mouth can write a check that my butt CAN cash...

as far as your diagnostic skills are involved..i suggest you keep your opinions on how to fix a car to yourself. you aren't qualified. and stop telling people how to bypass saftey related issues...LIKE I SAID IT WILL GET SOMEONE HURT OR KILLED.

and yes i am insane..crazy or whatever..my job is to keep peoples cars safe and good working order....

that is what i get paid for..

Last edited by fixbenz; 03-13-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Lexus
4 years wow! I'm not gonna argue any more. NO sense in having a tech sub-forum. We shoud all "JUST TAKE IT TO THE DEALER".

BTW, techs get paid even when they dont fix the problem. I'm glad you found your true calling..

Oh, welcome to the Tech forum(where we share info on how to fix a Mercedes) my name is Scott btw.

Brake sensors will never get anyone killed.

DONE.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Brake sensor

Ok,, so if the pads are replaced and they are not Mercedes they will probably last longer than 30,000 miles, and they might not have the slot for the sensor. So It is nice to understand how the sensor works and that it is basically a on off switch that allows computer logic to determine if the pads have enough wear to replace. But for a person who has spent $$ on pads that might not have the slot it would be nice to know the old sensors could be used to keep the alarm off by joining the two wires. I would have used the correct pads the first time, but if I knew everything right the first time I would have more $$ in the bank and have Michelins on my E500.

The car will not be unsafe with our the sensor installed and or connecting the wires to turn the alarm off. It won't be any more or less unsafe than My Corvette was on the track this weekend with no brake wear sensors.

It is nice to have the sensor on the system and makes it easy for me to know when pads need replacing.

Thanks for the tip and understanding on how they work. I have no intention now or ever to critique anyone on recommendations on this board but to mearly thank those whom have provided information that I can make an intellegent decision to take or not.

All opinions are are valued for the people who took the time to provide the input. Thank you to all who took the effort to help. Jim