Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Install IPOD kit W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Question How to Install IPOD kit W211

I've got an 03 E500 with a retrofitted Euro Comand.
A mechanic buddy and I gave it a shot today.
Major complications:
Couldn't figure out where the red "10" fuse was to be placed... we placed it in fuse #27 to the left of the steering wheel
Also didn't know exactly what slot the kit's wire(the clip with one red wire attached) was supposed to be connected to, we put it into a slot that we think read #27.

Removal of the brown and brown+red wire connected to the AGW(audio gateway)'s MOST wire and replacing it with the IPOD kit's wires didn't make sense...
The old brown and brown+red wires aren't supposed to be reconnected to anything?

We attached 2 other brown wires to the top LEFT of the passenger footwell...

With the above setup:
The MFD wouldn't display any titles from the CDC/DVD drive or AUX input although the IPOD(Not charging however) was connected and playing through the speakers.

Disappointing as you can imagine, spent quite a bit of time and would greatly appreciate any tips to fix the setup.
However, I do have nice blue MB Door sills looking rather sassy.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by smb7420
I've got an 03 E500 with a retrofitted Euro Comand.
A mechanic buddy and I gave it a shot today.
Major complications:
Couldn't figure out where the red "10" fuse was to be placed... we placed it in fuse #27 to the left of the steering wheel
Also didn't know exactly what slot the kit's wire(the clip with one red wire attached) was supposed to be connected to, we put it into a slot that we think read #27.

Removal of the brown and brown+red wire connected to the AGW(audio gateway)'s MOST wire and replacing it with the IPOD kit's wires didn't make sense...
The old brown and brown+red wires aren't supposed to be reconnected to anything?

We attached 2 other brown wires to the top LEFT of the passenger footwell...

With the above setup:
The MFD wouldn't display any titles from the CDC/DVD drive or AUX input although the IPOD(Not charging however) was connected and playing through the speakers.

Disappointing as you can imagine, spent quite a bit of time and would greatly appreciate any tips to fix the setup.
However, I do have nice blue MB Door sills looking rather sassy.
you are on the right track...

first of all the wires that you removed from the gateway do not get hooked up to anything. i know it seems counterintuitive but it is the way they set the kit up. what the kit does is act as a go-between for the AGW and the display, sending the new text as needed. to do this you hooked one set of CAN wires to the connector in the footwell... the CAN wires originally hooked up to the AGW also end up at the footwell connector but not before being summed with CAN wires form other modules. since the other modules need to stay connected the kit provides 2 wires that go to the AGW directly which take place of the original wires. the original wires should be seperately taped up with electrical tape so that they do not touch or short to anything (which would cause a CAN bus fault).

secondly the red wire is the main power wire for the kit. the connector plugs into a socket on the back of the rear fuse center. it only fits into one socket back there so if you got it to click in place you are ok. the fuse also nees to go into the rear fuse center, NOT the front one where you put it. i believe the fuse position is the 5th or 6th from the bottom but dont quote me on that. the easiest way to be sure that you are in the correct one is to put the fuse in each empty location watching the front display as you go. change radio stations and watch the display to see if it is updating. it will only work when the ipod kit has power so when it does the fuse is in the right slot. you can also do this by watching the ipod and waiting for it to start charging.

good luck and post back if you have any questions...
Old 04-22-2007, 11:16 AM

E500
Red face

First off thank you for the reply,

It seems we did everything properly except fuse placement...
If the fuse were placed in the proper rear slot, COMAND CDC(disc changer)/DVD/Radio info would show on the MFD(steering wheel display) along with the IPOD being charged and IPOD AUX info display?

We had everything setup exactly as you said it should be, except I think we had the fuse in the wrong place,
All it showed was "AUDIO ----" and "TEL ----" instead of any info, however music still played through the speakers, from the IPOD and COMAND unit...

How do you remove and put in the brown and brown+red wires from the MOST AGW's black connector? Tugging on them seems a bit dangerous...which is what we did.
When we put the kit's brown and brown+red wires in the connector of the MOST AGW they felt loose and easily slipped out, we used electrical tape to tighten it...any better way to do that?

Last edited by smb7420; 04-22-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:05 PM

E500
Exclamation

Which # slot does the fuse for the ipod kit go to in the trunk's fusebox?

Its only 1 red "10" fuse, or more? The fuse chart doesn't help with indicating where the fuse needs to be..
Old 04-22-2007, 11:22 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
First off thank you for the reply,

It seems we did everything properly except fuse placement...
If the fuse were placed in the proper rear slot, COMAND CDC(disc changer)/DVD/Radio info would show on the MFD(steering wheel display) along with the IPOD being charged and IPOD AUX info display?

We had everything setup exactly as you said it should be, except I think we had the fuse in the wrong place,
All it showed was "AUDIO ----" and "TEL ----" instead of any info, however music still played through the speakers, from the IPOD and COMAND unit...

How do you remove and put in the brown and brown+red wires from the MOST AGW's black connector? Tugging on them seems a bit dangerous...which is what we did.
When we put the kit's brown and brown+red wires in the connector of the MOST AGW they felt loose and easily slipped out, we used electrical tape to tighten it...any better way to do that?

the connectors actually have a metal tab that locks them in place. first you have to remove the outer shell from the connector, then looking at the inner piece there are little rectangular openings. if you press with a small pick tool the connector easily pulls out. when you yanked on them it broke the tabs. just put a dab of hot glue on the back of the connector and it will be ok

as for the exact fuse position i dont have the info with me.. ill check tomorrow and post back.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 PM

E500
I just got a nice guide from someone...
The relay goes in slot "C" and the fuse goes into "5"

However the guide mentions the fuse is a 7.5, mine is a red one labeled 10...not sure what to make of it.

The black connector attached to the most, and the most connector are fine...
The Brown and Red wire from the ipod harness isn't well, the square metal tip has been pried off...the lower half of the connector(has 2 metal cylinder designs) are intact.

Currently trying to find a new connector to crimp onto the wire...unless you were suggesting hot glue for that area?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 PM

E500
Unhappy

I'm wondering if my IPOD harness is working properly...

To test whether the electrical connection was working:
I attached the relay(slot C), fuse(red "10" in slot 5), the wire from the harness that goes to the back of the fusebox(black connector with one red wire in it),the ground wire attached to the screw/nut which holds the navi drive and connected my harness to my ipod nano...

I left everything attached in my trunk, nothing wired in the front of the car.
It didn't display a charging icon on my nano.

Does the harness need to be connected to the passenger CANBUS and the aux port in the COMAND for the IPod to charge?

Or do I need my car hooked up to STAR for some coding? Currently I've got Euro Comand and BT telephone displaying through my MFD.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
I'm wondering if my IPOD harness is working properly...

To test whether the electrical connection was working:
I attached the relay(slot C), fuse(red "10" in slot 5), the wire from the harness that goes to the back of the fusebox(black connector with one red wire in it),the ground wire attached to the screw/nut which holds the navi drive and connected my harness to my ipod nano...

I left everything attached in my trunk, nothing wired in the front of the car.
It didn't display a charging icon on my nano.

Does the harness need to be connected to the passenger CANBUS and the aux port in the COMAND for the IPod to charge?

Or do I need my car hooked up to STAR for some coding? Currently I've got Euro Comand and BT telephone displaying through my MFD.
the ground wire should be connected to the ground termination point, not the bracket... you might not be on a proper ground and therfore not completing the circuit. look for a 10mm nut attached to a stud with brown ground wires coming off of it. if you have a voltmeter you can check for 12 volts between the red and brown 14 gauge wires. if you have 12v then everything is hooked up as far as power goes.

when you say that you dont have everything hooked up in the back but not the front, do you have the CAN wires plugged into the front distributor? you do need to have those plugged in for the kit to work....

just fyi the ipod will play through the system even if the kit has no power. this is because the kit uses the aux in on the command which is directly connected to the ipod audio out. the whole rest of the kit is for control and charging which is why the ipod played at first even when you had the fuse in the wrong place. there is *no* SDS coding needed for your vehicle. the only cars that need SDS is for some C class that have the steering wheel TEL functions disabled and need them enabled.

the ipod kit acts as go-between for ALL data from the radio to the driver display on the cluster. this means radio, cd as well as ipod. do as i said before and change radio stations while watching for the data to update on the cluster. when the data updates the kit is working. since you broke the tabs the CANBUS connectors may not be pushed all the way in and not making contact. you can either obtain replacment connectors at the MB parts dept or just use a dab of hot glue on the back of the connector while making sure the pins are pushed all the way in. make sure that you dont reverse the CAN wires or things will also not work and you will start to get errors at the cluster.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 AM

E500
Red face Update

I made all the proper attachments in the trunk(not including the CANBUS in the rear AGW, and front passenger)

My ipod nano showed the black charging sign in the battery area intermittently...I'm afraid the kit may be damaged?

Or should I place the brown ground wire in between the other brown wires attached to the 10mm nut instead of on top of the bunch of them?
Basically I took the nut off and placed the ground on top of the other wires, maybe there's no constant power running at the top?
I doubt it...but does the fact that I have a "10" amp instead of "7.5", which the guide suggests to use, affect the charging?

I got my wire tip fixed by a local dealer, the tiny metal extension at the end of the brown ipod wires are a meager $5 a piece
Hopefully I'll get a chance to set everything up today.

Last edited by smb7420; 04-24-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM

E500
Hole Drilling In Glovebox?

I made all the connections and ran the wire to the front passenger foot area.

I believe the instructions call for me to drill a hole in the glove box, which I'm not too sure I should do.

How can I run the wire from the IPOD harness underneath the glovebox to the interior of the glovebox?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
These are the best instructions that I have found https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...d-install.html