Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramifications of installing a lowering module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Ramifications of installing a lowering module

I recently installed 20" Brabus Monoblock VI (2-piece) wheels on my 2008 S550. I'm in 2 minds about whether I need to lower the car or not. I'm looking for expert advice especially from those who have installed the module and then taken their cars in for warranty work.....

There also seem to be a few people on here who think that I should lower the car.

The main issues I have are:

1) You really have 2 options for lowering: (a) Use Brabus/Renntech/Lorinser lowering modules (b) monkey with the control module under the front passenger seat and "trick" the car into sitting lower!

2) What are the potential warranty issues with MB? I could not get a straight answer when I called the MB dealerships - seems like they did not have much knowledge with after-market computer add-on's. A couple of service mgrs. went so far as to tell me that it would VOID the warranty because the diagnostics and readings could get screwed up! Seems like you'd better have one of the best MB techs working at your local dealership who knows everything about the factory computer and air suspension.

3) What mods need to be done to the fender? Does it have to be rolled so that the tire does not hit the fender under heavy loads or when the car is on bumpy surfaces?

All this seems more like too much of a headache and too many unknowns. Not to mention that once you buy the lowering module it's yours - no returning!

Here's the link with pictures of my car

Last edited by AustinGuy; 04-22-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
it looks great,it tears the car up

i know ill catch flack on this cause so many people have lowered their cars.no doubt that it looks great!.but it isnt good for the car,the suspension is sitting deeper into its travel or stroke and more prone to bottoming.the suspension pivot points are torqued in a stock ride height configueration and unless you rework that issue,you will wear all the rubber bushings faster in the pivot areas.you will run the lower front fairing into every driveway and parking stop/curb unless you are allways thinking about it.your pics look beautiful,my opinion is to mount taller rubber 35/45 and take up alot of that space that you are concerned with.any normal maintanance that a dealer were to perform on any aspect of the suspension would be looked at through a microscope and if they find fault in the ride height,then you know the answer to the warranty question.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
i know ill catch flack on this cause so many people have lowered their cars.no doubt that it looks great!.but it isnt good for the car,the suspension is sitting deeper into its travel or stroke and more prone to bottoming.the suspension pivot points are torqued in a stock ride height configueration and unless you rework that issue,you will wear all the rubber bushings faster in the pivot areas.you will run the lower front fairing into every driveway and parking stop/curb unless you are allways thinking about it.your pics look beautiful,my opinion is to mount taller rubber 35/45 and take up alot of that space that you are concerned with.any normal maintanance that a dealer were to perform on any aspect of the suspension would be looked at through a microscope and if they find fault in the ride height,then you know the answer to the warranty question.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM

i deserve that

Originally Posted by mleskovar
i just cant imagine lowering a 2008 S-550.flawless right out of the box.im just an extreemist when it comes to factory specs.there is no mechanical benefit that will result from lowering this car.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
i just cant imagine lowering a 2008 S-550.flawless right out of the box.im just an extreemist when it comes to factory specs.there is no mechanical benefit that will result from lowering this car.
means I agree with you ..... +1
Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 AM

ill catch on eventually

Originally Posted by mleskovar
means I agree with you ..... +1
I read that as weird,uhh it's "word".my bad.i thought i was gonna be the only opinion not to lower the car.thanks.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 PM

'09 S63 AMG
AH1W-COBRA

Thanks a lot for going into detail about that. Frankly, some of what you said sailed right over my head. Uuuummm........ actually, not really - you make a lot of sense .

I had this sneaky suspicion that it's not all rosey and honky dory as most "lowering fanatics" make it out to be. You hit the nail right on the head with all the mechanical issues and "unknowns" that I'd potentially run into. I can't imagine how you could lower a car with such complex suspension mechanisms without messing up the components long term (or even short term for that matter).

What's ironic is that the guys who push for lowering the car are usually the ones who want to sell the lowering kits - no surprise there, but...... what's also surprising is that there are a lot of gear heads who know a lot about cars and who don't have problem telling me to lower it. Or maybe they just don't know or realize how detrimental it is to the suspension
Old 04-26-2008, 10:18 AM

AustinGuy

It's true,even seasoned mechs that know how hard lowering will be on their cars do it anyway.it's for the same reasons you are considering it in the first place.That low,lean bad *** look is as hard to resist as your first girlfriend saying yes.your car is magnificent,i can only imagine how well it performs/drives.I have never owned a brand new MB,but it is gonna happen somday.warrantys mean everything on a car like yours and i woulden't risk MB copping an attitude on the car for lowering it.I know tires are expensive but go back to the shop and let them show you the taller sidewall tires next to yours,it will fill the wheel well a little more and give a smoother/quieter ride with only a small sacrafice in handling.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:43 AM

'09 S63 AMG
AH1W-COBRA

I don't think I can put a larger tire (I mean with a larger aspect ratio) without impacting the speedometer and other components. Going from a 19 to a 20" wheel as in my case is about the most you can go without monkeying with the speed sensing components.

As I understand it, as long as the overall tire diameter does not change you're okay (with revs/min, etc.) but the minute you change to a larger tire that the car was not calibrated for, your speedometer gets thrown off.

I think there's a lot of good stuff about this on tirerack.com

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM

this is a good question

[QUOTE=AustinGuy;2801833]AH1W-COBRA

I don't think I can put a larger tire (I mean with a larger aspect ratio) without impacting the speedometer and other components. Going from a 19 to a 20" wheel as in my case is about the most you can go without monkeying with the speed sensing components.

As I understand it, as long as the overall tire diameter does not change you're okay (with revs/min, etc.) but the minute you change to a larger tire that the car was not calibrated for, your speedometer gets thrown off.

I think there's a lot of good stuff about this on tirerack.com

Let me know what you think.[/QUOTE/]im sure someone knows the answer to speed/distance calibration.im wondering why you could potentially load the tire dimensions into the command nav unit and it would compensate for the changes in tire/rim circumference and calibrate itself to be accurate in navigation.but you cant calibrate the input to the chassis/instrument cluster.it must have somthing to do with the legality of changing the odometer factory specs when it comes to determining how many miles are on the car.warranty/resale/lease options.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
There's more than just the speedometer to consider. ESP, BAS, ECU, TCU, nav and other electronics will be thrown off if the rolling radius of the tire is off significantly. Steering geometry will also be off, which will affect handling, steering feel and tire wear. The idea of a "plus" tire fitment is to go a little wider for grip if you can, replace rubber with metal for response (by using a lower profile tire on a larger wheel) but keeping the rolling diameter/radius of the tire as close to the same as possible, generally within a percent or two at most.

A rough rule of thumb is that each inch bigger wheel goes with one series (10%) lower profile and 10 or 15 mm wider tires. Of course, the extra width has to fit in your wheel wells without major rubbing.

A calculator, like

http://www.canadiandriver.com/tools/...c/tirecalc.htm

will allow you to compare rolling diameters of stock and plus tires.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 sl320
If you go to trade it in with the altered suspension and the appraiser picks up on it, your trade in value will get hosed.

Last edited by seth1066; 05-04-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by whoover
There's more than just the speedometer to consider. ESP, BAS, ECU, TCU, nav and other electronics will be thrown off if the rolling radius of the tire is off significantly. Steering geometry will also be off, which will affect handling, steering feel and tire wear. The idea of a "plus" tire fitment is to go a little wider for grip if you can, replace rubber with metal for response (by using a lower profile tire on a larger wheel) but keeping the rolling diameter/radius of the tire as close to the same as possible, generally within a percent or two at most.

A rough rule of thumb is that each inch bigger wheel goes with one series (10%) lower profile and 10 or 15 mm wider tires. Of course, the extra width has to fit in your wheel wells without major rubbing.

A calculator, like

http://www.canadiandriver.com/tools/...c/tirecalc.htm

will allow you to compare rolling diameters of stock and plus tires.
Wow!

Uuum ... I feel like I know so little about cars now....

Thanks for all that - it really puts things into perspective.