Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

HP Tuners as a tuning platform for enthusiasts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 02:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 S65 AMG (W221)
Question HP Tuners as a tuning platform for enthusiasts?

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I have had my car tuned by 2 different tuners. Both are piece of art but there is always space for improvement. I am a beginner when it comes to ECU tunes but have noticed some members seem to like HP Tuners platform.
My question is, how good this platforms for beginners, any feedback from end-users, advice and things to consider are more than welcomed! I tried to contact HP tuners support but have yet to receive any response.
Are there any other platforms/tools similar to HP Tuners? I am not considering Race Evo / My Genius as this is rather for professional tuning shops, way to expensive for personal use.

P.S. I am aware of increasing demand on so called "online ECU tuning" where you can submit ECU read file and get the desired results pretty cheap. I am looking for somewhat more advanced way to tune the ECU by myself.

Thanks in advance for any headsup.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 PM

2007 S65 AMG (W221)
Any enthusiasts who tune these cars by their own? HP tuners support has not replied yet, I guess it tells how good their support is.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM

2007 S65 AMG (W221)
Well it seems my vehicle is not supported according to their website
Old 06-12-2020, 05:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
Originally Posted by WIN ER
Sorry if this is a duplicate. I have had my car tuned by 2 different tuners. Both are piece of art but there is always space for improvement. I am a beginner when it comes to ECU tunes but have noticed some members seem to like HP Tuners platform.
My question is, how good this platforms for beginners, any feedback from end-users, advice and things to consider are more than welcomed! I tried to contact HP tuners support but have yet to receive any response.
Are there any other platforms/tools similar to HP Tuners? I am not considering Race Evo / My Genius as this is rather for professional tuning shops, way to expensive for personal use.

P.S. I am aware of increasing demand on so called "online ECU tuning" where you can submit ECU read file and get the desired results pretty cheap. I am looking for somewhat more advanced way to tune the ECU by myself.

Thanks in advance for any headsup.

stuff like this, yeah?

The following users liked this post:
WIN ER (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:01 PM

2007 S65 AMG (W221)
Originally Posted by meicalnissyen

stuff like this, yeah?
Pretty much yes but as many tables as possible. Where this was taken from?
Old 06-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
Originally Posted by WIN ER
Any enthusiasts who tune these cars by their own? HP tuners support has not replied yet, I guess it tells how good their support is.
That may be thought of by some as sarcastic, nevertheless, when the product is service it is indeed quite telling.

I don't think so to answer, AFAIK

have not seen any FreekTune, Purple drank,Hypnotic, ............ for meccedes
tho, once long ago, im sure Renntech was a little place
I have a tune from Nish, and that was along time ago. things grow if
A good product
B well run

Tuned by Nishan is a multi platform business these days

the table I shared was from VersaTune. windows based, proprietary cable, mazda only

I have no idea if/how merc encrypts/hides tables

it took cobb a couple years to get main access, and the team was uncorking side tables years after that on the MZR platform

it is a big can of worms, and having a great working knowledge of what you are trying to do, and how to get there within the constraints of the hardware avaiable, and the unknown way the "if this then, that is arranged

Dude, I truly wish you luck, but unless you aspire to make a buck tuning at least twenty other cars, I think the knowledge path far far to long to be individually worth the effort

Old 06-13-2020, 02:45 PM

2007 S65 AMG (W221)
Thanks dude, HP Tuners confirmed they do not work with this type of ECU, it is not yet supported. More than likely it will never be supported because of the age and increased demand on newer cars being supported.
There are some enthusiasts out here on the forum who tune these cars but none of them seem to be active.
As far as practice and knowledge, I am not really worried about it, I have some background that helps. The thing that sucks on Mercedes it is indeed a nightmare to proper navigate between the right tables. Another issue is you need to keep ECU "alive" during flashing process, maintaining at least 12.5V is a must. That makes it quite easy to mess up even using hand-held tool loading a custom or 'canned' tune file. And when the things go wrong it's hard to troubleshoot which part of the mod is not working with your ECU.
I will leave it alone for now, enjoying a good Stage-1 (Champion) tune that I have from EuroCharged. By far the best tune I've ever had on Mercedes NA engine.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by WIN ER; 06-19-2020 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Wrong vendor. EC is the correct one.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 e550
go on the hptuner forums, there are people using hptuners, but not much information.
Plus it cost 8 credits which is like $400 per car - which isn't bad if you know what youre doing
Old 11-12-2023, 09:47 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts
ML 63 AMG
HP Tuners is probably the best tuning platform on the planet. I use it to tune my 1230 HP Camaro SS and just started playing with it on my AMG as well. They keep adding MB cars that are supported:
https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/mercedes-benz-tuning/
Old 11-15-2023, 03:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by Joshinator99
HP Tuners is probably the best tuning platform on the planet. I use it to tune my 1230 HP Camaro SS and just started playing with it on my AMG as well. They keep adding MB cars that are supported:
https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/mercedes-benz-tuning/
Sadly I'm having nothing but issues with the RTD+ on my 2012 CL63 AMG. The unit will sync, its ready to go, and when I want it to read my vehicle - goes thru about 8 stages , then gets hung up and sits spinning. Shows message "MED177, Mercedes MED17.7.1 and MED17.7.3 Manually selected controller is incorrect. Please choose Do not read or try a different controller." Yes I can't choose or do anything. ARGH! I've send logs to tech support only to have them now tell me they have to send my issue to Engineering - and they don't know when they can get back to me with an answer. Its frustrating to know they list the CL63 AMG on the site, yet honestly it will not work with my CL63.

I'm sure this is a great tuning platform once it works but until then I'm SOL..!
Old 11-15-2023, 05:51 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts
ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by ImaNoob
Sadly I'm having nothing but issues with the RTD+ on my 2012 CL63 AMG. The unit will sync, its ready to go, and when I want it to read my vehicle - goes thru about 8 stages , then gets hung up and sits spinning. Shows message "MED177, Mercedes MED17.7.1 and MED17.7.3 Manually selected controller is incorrect. Please choose Do not read or try a different controller." Yes I can't choose or do anything. ARGH! I've send logs to tech support only to have them now tell me they have to send my issue to Engineering - and they don't know when they can get back to me with an answer. Its frustrating to know they list the CL63 AMG on the site, yet honestly it will not work with my CL63.

I'm sure this is a great tuning platform once it works but until then I'm SOL..!
So have your tuner email you the tune and flash it in with a laptop. That how I’ve been doing it on my 1230 HP Camaro SS for the past 6 years, works like a champ. Plus you can really datalog the car and look at a lot of info at once.