S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

trunk release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trunk release

i cant open mu trunk with my key and/or trunk release button...any suggestions besides taking it to get serviced?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Almost a Member!

S320L (W220)
my boot did get jammed once, key or in car switch didnt work. A coat got stuck in the mechanism. A few hundred yards on a bumpy road and a good pull on the boot got it free
Old 11-10-2005, 03:53 PM

its not jammed i read in the manual about unlocking doors by pressing the key or something but either way nothing is jammed its centrally locked or something.......................help me please
Old 11-10-2005, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Since you're in the W220 forum, I assume you have an S-class MB. There are at least four ways to open the trunk on my S500 that I know of, and wonder if you have tried them all:

1. Push the trunk open button on the e-key and hold it down
2. Take the "manual key" out of the e-key and put it in the trunk lock, and turn
3. Push up w/ your finger on the trunk-release button on the trunk, above the lisence plate
4. Pull out on the trunk release button on the drivers door panel, located at the bottom of the panel on my car

Failing that I suggest that you call your dealer
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM

S55 AMG 2002
The only way I can get my trunk to open on my 2002 S55 is #2, by inserting the manual key, turning ccw, and pushing in.
My problem started a few weeks ago with a partial, 2/3 lift of the trunk lid when I pushed the remote, which was annoying. Then the remote, and door switch quit working entirely.
The crazy thing is - when I push the red button on the trunk lid to close it - it has perfect closing action. How can this be a hydrolic cylinder problem?
I have reset fuses, held the door switch in for 20 seconds, any suggestions?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 AM

2000 S-500 Obisidan Black/Java Interior
I am having the same exact problem with my trunk release and have not been able to figure it out.
I had an auto-shop check for any blown fuses but didn't find any. He went through all 3 fuse panels (2 under the hood, 1 under rear seat).
In addition to the trunk release not working, I also have 2 errors on the instrument cluster for my 2 lights above the rear license plate. The mechanic just assumed it was the bulbs burnt out an replaced them and send me on my merry way. About 2 minutes later, the bulbs blew out again.

How do you "reset fuses" as you mentioned in your post above? Maybe I can try that next.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
S500 2000 Trunk Release Problem

Benz owners,

I have the same issue. #2 Mechanical Key is the only way to open the trunk that works for me. I also have a license plate light out message so I am thinking it is a burn out on a wire that has shorted the system. I do not know how to find that but will learn.

If you have a solution please let me know with pictures if possible.

Good day.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM

S430
Not sure it is too late to reply.

If your licence plate lights also out then it is very likely that your trunk lid cable has a broken ground wire.

If you remove the trunk lid cover/blue lining just by pulling it out from corner to corner then you will see a bunch of plugs and wires for various functions. Check around the harness you will likely find a spare plug that does not plug to anywhere. One of the three wires connected to this plug is a brown only wire. For a temporary fix, you can connect a loose ground wire to this brown wire to supply ground signal to the whole harness as the brown only ground wire is connected to all functions. In fact for this case, you can connect the make-up ground wire to any "brown only" color wire on the harness. Make sure you let this ground wire to hang loose inside the trunk but NOT taping it to the cable as the cable will retract inside the box when the lid closes.

The permanent fix will be to replace the whole harness which is rather easy (1/2 hour). If you buy the harness outside the dealer make sure you know the year as for 2002+ the harness includes an extra terminal/plug for the trunk entrapment release switch. 2001 or older model cable will work fine for everything except without this plug. You will find used ones at eBay for less than $100. A new one from the dealer is about $400.

To replace the harness, which comes with an integrated rectangle plastic cable housing. Once you received the replacement harness, the removal and installation is self-explanatory by looking at the new harness's housing structure. It might be a little tricky to figure out how to remove the box the first time if you don't already have the replacement harness on hand for reference.

If there is only one function of the lid opening mechanism that does not work (such as soft close) and at least one license plate light works then it could be other wire inside the sliding cable or the vacumn tube. It is not practical to repair the wire inside the cable as the repair won't last very well due to the sliding in and out during lid open and closure.

Last edited by Frank I; 11-05-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Frank - Thanks Trunk Lid

Originally Posted by Frank I
Not sure it is too late to reply.

If your licence plate lights also out then it is very likely that your trunk lid cable has a broken ground wire.

If you remove the trunk lid cover/blue lining just by pulling it out from corner to corner then you will see a bunch of plugs and wires for various functions. Check around the harness you will likely find a spare plug that does not plug to anywhere. One of the three wires connected to this plug is a brown only wire. For a temporary fix, you can connect a loose ground wire to this brown wire to supply ground signal to the whole harness as the brown only ground wire is connected to all functions. In fact for this case, you can connect the make-up ground wire to any "brown only" color wire on the harness. Make sure you let this ground wire to hang loose inside the trunk but NOT taping it to the cable as the cable will retract inside the box when the lid closes.

The permanent fix will be to replace the whole harness which is rather easy (1/2 hour). If you buy the harness outside the dealer make sure you know the year as for 2002+ the harness includes an extra terminal/plug for the trunk entrapment release switch. 2001 or older model cable will work fine for everything except without this plug. You will find used ones at eBay for less than $100. A new one from the dealer is about $400.

To replace the harness, which comes with an integrated rectangle plastic cable housing. Once you received the replacement harness, the removal and installation is self-explanatory by looking at the new harness's housing structure. It might be a little tricky to figure out how to remove the box the first time if you don't already have the replacement harness on hand for reference.

If there is only one function of the lid opening mechanism that does not work (such as soft close) and at least one license plate light works then it could be other wire inside the sliding cable or the vacumn tube. It is not practical to repair the wire inside the cable as the repair won't last very well due to the sliding in and out during lid open and closure.
Frank,

Thanks for your response. I will attempt this repair tomorrow. I have been away for a bit.

I will take pictures (something this sites seems to be adverse) and let you know of my success or no success.