Subwoofer removal question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
Subwoofer removal question

Ill keep this simple how do i do this?

I am adding a Amp and a pair of subs, and i did a mock up with a pair of 12" Kicker L7's and with a 500 watt Fosgate amp. With the trunk open the bass is amazing. however i closed the trunk and the bass goes back to being pretty weak. So my goal tonight is to remove the old subwoofer and use this as a port into the cabin. I am sure there are a lot of people that have done this however i did a pretty good search and came up empty. i mean there is a few people asking how todo this but no anaswers.

So please any help from you fellow audio lovers would be appericated.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM

damm i forgot to do a spell check lol
Old 05-23-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S-600
I was looking for the same thing a while back, but didn't find anything.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 PM

This weekend i attempted to remove the rear deck. I now understand why people are not to helpful on this. Because it is impossible lol. I spent 12 hours, and had most of the back of my car taken apart and still could not get the damm thing off.

My advice:
wiring a amp with a converter piece of cake. Dont bother taking out the old subwoofer, just tear it apart from within the trunk and save your self a huge headache and time.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 PM

W220
I've tried to remove the stock sub without breaking it but I couldn't so I decided to break it.
Now I have 12" sub in the trunk and it sounds perfect.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Yeah good call on that. As easy as they make these cars to take apart that rear pannel was a nightmare. But your right once you break the subwoofer it works perfect for transfering the sound from the trunk to the cabin.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 S500 4Matic
I was wondering if you can put the pics of your trunks with the subs in because i also have a pair of 12" Alpine Type-R and it is amazing but the old sub gets in the way of the sounds and is a little annoying sometimes. I was wondering if you can also put pics of your old sub where it was taken out... I will post pics of my car tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 AM

S500
wow i just have been searching all over for this, funny that someone had the same question.

ALTHOUGH: what I am looking for is some of our cars come with the ski bag that goes in the middle of the rear center armrest. Well my car DOES NOT have it, and im in the same boat. I too have subs in the trunk and when my trunk opens its REALLY loud but when I close it cuts down by easily 50%+

SO What Im wondering is does anyone know if the metal that seperates and goes between the rear seats and trunk if its pre-punched for the ski bag?

Reason I ask is because i ran into this before with my bimmer, and the car ended up having this space pre-punched and all my sound guy and I had to do was punch through the middle. I did have to cut the carpet in the trunk. BUT MAN DID IT MAKE A Difference. LIKE CRAZY DIFFERENCE. and it was very easy took me like 30 min to do, but forever to figure out haha. You couldnt tell it was there either because most cars have that piece of leather that covers this area, so it looked good. Looked OEM to be honest haha. But all the sound went into the car. So im wanting to do this with the s500

If it doesnt im going to take it to my sound guy and just tell him to carefully cut a hole through the metal and maybe put like a plexiglass window in there or something.

Last edited by donjuan45i; 05-30-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by donjuan45i
wow i just have been searching all over for this, funny that someone had the same question.

ALTHOUGH: what I am looking for is some of our cars come with the ski bag that goes in the middle of the rear center armrest. Well my car DOES NOT have it, and im in the same boat. I too have subs in the trunk and when my trunk opens its REALLY loud but when I close it cuts down by easily 50%+

SO What Im wondering is does anyone know if the metal that seperates and goes between the rear seats and trunk if its pre-punched for the ski bag?

Reason I ask is because i ran into this before with my bimmer, and the car ended up having this space pre-punched and all my sound guy and I had to do was punch through the middle. I did have to cut the carpet in the trunk. BUT MAN DID IT MAKE A Difference. LIKE CRAZY DIFFERENCE. and it was very easy took me like 30 min to do, but forever to figure out haha. You couldnt tell it was there either because most cars have that piece of leather that covers this area, so it looked good. Looked OEM to be honest haha. But all the sound went into the car. So im wanting to do this with the s500

If it doesnt im going to take it to my sound guy and just tell him to carefully cut a hole through the metal and maybe put like a plexiglass window in there or something.

our cars do not have the pass threw because the gas tank is there, you would have to change your gas tank to one that has the a cut out for the drink cooler
Old 06-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by donjuan45i

Yeah our cars are stuck with the gas tank and there is no real way to get around this. What i did was cut out the speaker from underneath and did not touch the rear deck so it looks stock. it helped and i would say about 70 percent of the music is getting in.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 S500 4Matic
ebolic that is what i did i just took off the carpet.. unscrewed the metal part around the sub and YANKED it out of there and took the plastic out... i didnt touch the rear deck either, i was afraid i was gonna mess up something that i could not fix.... now i have a hole in my trunk roof where the sound goes through and its around 80% i can hear better and with less rattling when i took the old sub out.... It was helpful.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM

2004 S500 AMG Kit Keyless go Parktronics 7 speed
Can you guys please post pictures of what you broke? I was going to break it aswell but I noticed 2 smaller speakers next to the sub and decided to do more research. So I called a friend that's a master tech for Benz. He said the right way to take it off is thru the cabin but you have to remove the rear seat. So now I'm looking for a short cut. I also took pics of the trunk without the covers. If anyone wants to see them just pm me.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 AM

S500 , 04R6 ,62 Impala
bump
Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Removing the rear deck is very very hard. I took the seat off started to take off all the bolts that i could see and that thing would not budge. i stopped before i messing anything up. what i ended up doing was ripping up a part the speaker and poping the clips off and then it came out. For me it was a pain in the AZZZ but it made a huge difference.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL550
wow, any updates on how to take the rear deck out?

how much difference did this taking the stock sub out make?

how much better is the sound with just an aftermarket sub? the audio system in this car is rather weak and I am debating on what to do about it.

how does the noise cancelling feature work? does adding an aftermarket subwoofer affect that?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Not sure about your other questions but as far as the difference it is huge
Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by ebolick
Not sure about your other questions but as far as the difference it is huge
I enjoy good audio. I currently use JL 500/1 with a 12w6v2 in a small sealed enclosure.

the stock w220 sub is weak and has no fidelity. what I am wondering is how much of a difference does JUST adding a subwoofer make to the entire fidelity of the audio system.

my current car (jaguar) has a separate subwoofer adjustment so it is easy to free the speakers from bass and route the heavy stuff to the sub thus making a big difference in sound quality. the w220 has no such option, so one will always HAVE to load the speakers with bass.

So I guess I am wondering if going through this (apparently nightmare of a) change will be worth it and if I will lose the noise cancelling (I am not interested in ripping the stock woofer). Also of course would like to know details on the install. The jag was relatively easy (remove the rear deck, remove stock subs out to create an opening, hook up amp to the battery, hooked up via PAC line level to RCN converter). The W220 seems a lot more complex. How does the w220 sound with the stock woofer in the car and an aftermarket subwoofer? Can one just use a line level converter off the subwoofer leads?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by InfamousD
I enjoy good audio. I currently use JL 500/1 with a 12w6v2 in a small sealed enclosure.

the stock w220 sub is weak and has no fidelity. what I am wondering is how much of a difference does JUST adding a subwoofer make to the entire fidelity of the audio system.

my current car (jaguar) has a separate subwoofer adjustment so it is easy to free the speakers from bass and route the heavy stuff to the sub thus making a big difference in sound quality. the w220 has no such option, so one will always HAVE to load the speakers with bass.

So I guess I am wondering if going through this (apparently nightmare of a) change will be worth it and if I will lose the noise cancelling (I am not interested in ripping the stock woofer). Also of course would like to know details on the install. The jag was relatively easy (remove the rear deck, remove stock subs out to create an opening, hook up amp to the battery, hooked up via PAC line level to RCN converter). The W220 seems a lot more complex. How does the w220 sound with the stock woofer in the car and an aftermarket subwoofer? Can one just use a line level converter off the subwoofer leads?

Thanks.
the install of the Amp was very easy i used the PAC line to the sub woofers wires and no problem.

in order to get to the sub/amp you must remove the whole truck icarpet kit. not to hard just take your time so you dont lose your clips.

once you have that off you will need to pop the clips off of the subwoofer and tear the sub out. other people have been able to get it out in once piece i was not that lucky.

I added two Kicker 12"L7, with a Fosgate amp. I like the bass however because of the gas tank is there in the middle you get a lot of vibration to get the sound out of the trunk.

Am i pleased with it, yes and no, yes because i get some good base but because of the set up i get a lot of rattle and not as much bass as i would out of a car with no gas tank in the middle.

Over all i would never go back to stock but you have to take it they way it comes.

Good luck
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM

GL550
one last question, how hard would it be to actually remove the sub "properly" in such fashion that one can put it back together later.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 PM

I have no idea that was my intention but after 2 days i just sad f@#% it and ripped it out.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM

S500
Originally Posted by ebolick
I have no idea that was my intention but after 2 days i just sad f@#% it and ripped it out.
lol
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM

S500
Mercedes W220

Originally Posted by kalel21
Can you guys please post pictures of what you broke? I was going to break it aswell but I noticed 2 smaller speakers next to the sub and decided to do more research. So I called a friend that's a master tech for Benz. He said the right way to take it off is thru the cabin but you have to remove the rear seat. So now I'm looking for a short cut. I also took pics of the trunk without the covers. If anyone wants to see them just pm me.
Don't break it the rear head rest are the big problem there are small black plastic levers under the head rest one on each side of each H-R bush it down to release each side one at a time you can see them through the window but you have to bush out or rod as you bush the clip with H-R off two bolts and lift up on deck and pull it to you thats it
Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by dav818
I've tried to remove the stock sub without breaking it but I couldn't so I decided to break it.
Now I have 12" sub in the trunk and it sounds perfect.
is the 12" in the same place as the old sub?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Thats a lot of great information...I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to replace my sub and I need to know how much depth I have so I can purchase a new sub. Do I need a shallow sub?