S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Pre-Facelift Vs. Facelift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
Arrow Pre-Facelift Vs. Facelift

So i did look in the w220 encyclopedia that someone so kindly put together in the stickied thread, but the links to this sections did not work.

just wondering what the difference in the pre-facelift and the facelift are?

thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Front lights
Rear lights
Command console (radio)
Grille and hood angle
Dash buttons and interior design (same layout though)
More reliable airmatic ( still breaks though)
Wheels
Speedometer cluster gives more information (center screen) older ones don't have MPH digital unless they were upgraded or replaced.
Never fixed in stuck in park in any of them
Pre safe in later models
2003 and only 2003 have aux inputs

That's all I can think of for now if anyone else wants to chime in
Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 AM

W211
thanks for the response!

so it sounds like facelifts are more reliable cars?

are the pre-facelift and facelift body components interchangeable like headlights?

and i know i have read around the boards that arnott has made coilover conversion kit for 220's but does anyone know if there is any aftermarket conversions, like coilovers for 220's?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by Craftysince86
thanks for the response!

so it sounds like facelifts are more reliable cars?

are the pre-facelift and facelift body components interchangeable like headlights?

and i know i have read around the boards that arnott has made coilover conversion kit for 220's but does anyone know if there is any aftermarket conversions, like coilovers for 220's?

I have had 3 pre facelift cars. Honestly, at this age, it probably doesn't really matter anymore. The last model released is now at least 7 years old. I hang around a autoshop a lot and their a lot more post than pre at the place now getting worked on. Its better now to just find one that was taken care. Ill take a pre with all records and documents with struts being replaced then a post with no documents or history or sign of service.

The components are interchangeable. exterior and interior. especially the rear lights which are easy. front, not so easy. You have to change the hood to get the new lights to fit exactly. However, plenty of aftermarket styles available from... (just google it). Also, the new command and radio have been done by quite a few people on the board. Personally, I like the old layout. It still keeps the original Merdcedes Benz feel and style which I like.

Regardless of which ever suspension conversion you buy. Believe me. Its cheaper to repair it than it is to do an entire switch over. Its not like range rovers which I did to every one of them I ever owned . 400-600 bucks and everything is done. These cars start at 1600 for the conversion parts and that's not even counting install. I treat the airmatic like maintenance. I don't think I ever spent over 500 fixing the airmatic at any one given time. And that's for new parts not used. If the conversion kit was less than 1000 dollars I would do it but as cheap as airmatic parts are now and with abilities you get with it, I choose to maintain it.

P.S. Stay away from any W220 with ABC suspension. Stick with airmatic. Im not downing ABC, its a great system when working. But, I think only those that truly know what it is, what is capable of, and what it takes to keep it working should buy one with it. I know it and still no thanks. Also, stay away from the 600. Again, love the car but to much maintenance and only those that really know what that car is should own it. same reason as the ABC. ABC and 600 equal 2000-3000 repairs and that's if you lucky. it gets much worse....
Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM

W211
I've been warned about the ABC systems lol

i really want a facelift cause i can't get past the headlights with texturing on them, i feel like it always always makes them look dirty regardless of how clean they really are. that is my biggest gripe about pre-facelift

a lot of good info i appreciate it, just need to find one now. they are really hard to find under 100k miles i feel like
Old 10-11-2013, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
The facelift cars have better front seats - higher backrests, deeper bolsters, better leather, just more solid all round, and good thing too.

I never thought that 16:9 was a better aspect ratio for satellite navigation than 4:3 was.

Nick
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by Craftysince86
So i did look in the w220 encyclopedia that someone so kindly put together in the stickied thread, but the links to this sections did not work.

just wondering what the difference in the pre-facelift and the facelift are?

thanks
Sorry for the links - unfortunately, one cannot make changes to posts on this forum after a certain time has expired. I have the ability to make such changes at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...tart-here.html and I keep that thread current.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Range Rover
As far as seats, the majority of s classes, the face lifted ones do feel more comfortable . However , my s500 has different seats than both of my other pre face lifted and I like them the most. Wish I knew what option it was or maybe no option. The others had heated and cool seats. This one is just heated . No holes. I find it more comfortable and holds together really well over time unlike a lot of others I've seen

Pre-Facelift Vs. Facelift-img_8521.jpg

Last edited by vmystikilv; 10-13-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: adding pic
Old 10-13-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
hey v you need to upgrade the radio, real easy.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Range Rover
I have the nav, tele, cd changer ,and linguatronic options. And it all works, I'm not changing anything, lol