S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Please Help!!!! 2000 Mercedes S500 Rear Shocks Sagging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
Please Help!!!! 2000 Mercedes S500 Rear Shocks Sagging

So the other week I went with a friend to help him paint his rental home. I had a fairly heavy tool box, 5 gallon paint, and some other odds and in types things for painting. The car drove their fine but we went out to eat after finishing and their was smoke coming from my engine bay through the glove box. We came out of the restaurant and the driver side strut was sagging. The car was not running hot and only the rear driver side strit was sagging to the ground at first. I cranked the car and it lifted. I drive it home and on the way both rear shocks begin to sag to the ground like a lowrider. The car is in my garage and when I open the door or crank it the car will lift to normal height. Then the car will slowly leak back to the ground. After about 5 minutes it will be completely sagging to the ground again on both sides now. From my research I concludes it must be the rear shocks because when I crank the car both shocks raise to normal height which means my pump, valve, valve lines, relays, and fuses are working. I also concluded the rear shocks because once the shocks are pumped up the shocks should hold air and not leak in theory just like the front shocks of my car are doing. When my car in not on the fronts hold air just fine. I would please like a second opinion from someone who has had experience with the airmatic system to confirm if I am correct in my diagnosis or if it is something else I may be missing. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 774 Likes on 753 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W220 forum...
Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 AM

2000 Mercedes S500
Originally Posted by MJ50
moved to W220 forum...
Thanks send me link if u can.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
I don't think your struts would both leak , you probably have an issue with the level control or valve body not letting the rear stay up
Originally Posted by AdrianLawson
So the other week I went with a friend to help him paint his rental home. I had a fairly heavy tool box, 5 gallon paint, and some other odds and in types things for painting. The car drove their fine but we went out to eat after finishing and their was smoke coming from my engine bay through the glove box. We came out of the restaurant and the driver side strut was sagging. The car was not running hot and only the rear driver side strit was sagging to the ground at first. I cranked the car and it lifted. I drive it home and on the way both rear shocks begin to sag to the ground like a lowrider. The car is in my garage and when I open the door or crank it the car will lift to normal height. Then the car will slowly leak back to the ground. After about 5 minutes it will be completely sagging to the ground again on both sides now. From my research I concludes it must be the rear shocks because when I crank the car both shocks raise to normal height which means my pump, valve, valve lines, relays, and fuses are working. I also concluded the rear shocks because once the shocks are pumped up the shocks should hold air and not leak in theory just like the front shocks of my car are doing. When my car in not on the fronts hold air just fine. I would please like a second opinion from someone who has had experience with the airmatic system to confirm if I am correct in my diagnosis or if it is something else I may be missing. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
here is the w220 forum
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220-16/
Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 AM

2000 Mercedes S500
Originally Posted by tusabes
I don't think your struts would both leak , you probably have an issue with the level control or valve body not letting the rear stay up
here is the w220 forum
Okay Ive never heard of the level control before but is this a piece that can be replaced, Also when I crank the car the car lifts to normal height then they leak back down after a couple of minutes when car is turned off. I made a video on youtube to show what the car is doing.

https://youtu.be/oaGFwqZ3zmw
Old 07-18-2017, 01:21 AM

2000 Mercedes S500
Originally Posted by tusabes
here is the w220 forum
Also why do you think its the level control and not struts?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
One thing that you might try would be to listen for an air leak in the system.

1) Get a couple of sets of really good ears to listen - a couple of young people with really good hearing. Get each person a four-foot piece of rubber or plastic tubing to to use as a noise pick-up device, to be stuck in their best ear.
2) Make the garage as silent as possible - no fans, no refrigerators, no traffic noise.
3) Run the car to pump the struts up and shut it off.
4) Listen carefully at or near each rear strut, the inside corners of the rear window area, the airmatic pump in the right front wheelwell, the pump inlet/outlet tube, and the pressure reservoir in the left front wheelwell. Be very careful to avoid getting trapped under the sinking car!
5) Let us know where you hear any leaks.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 AM

2000 Mercedes S500
Originally Posted by wallyp
One thing that you might try would be to listen for an air leak in the system.

1) Get a couple of sets of really good ears to listen - a couple of young people with really good hearing. Get each person a four-foot piece of rubber or plastic tubing to to use as a noise pick-up device, to be stuck in their best ear.
2) Make the garage as silent as possible - no fans, no refrigerators, no traffic noise.
3) Run the car to pump the struts up and shut it off.
4) Listen carefully at or near each rear strut, the inside corners of the rear window area, the airmatic pump in the right front wheelwell, the pump inlet/outlet tube, and the pressure reservoir in the left front wheelwell. Be very careful to avoid getting trapped under the sinking car!
5) Let us know where you hear any leaks.

Thanks so much will try today with my kids