S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Hit ice under snow on a turn - wheel hit the curb parallel and bent in (pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML500
Hit ice under snow on a turn - wheel hit the curb parallel and bent in (pictures)

I was driving home yesterday and I was taking a soft right turn on a residential street. I wasnt going more than 10-15 MPH and my car kept sliding into the turn and my rear and front wheels hit the curb almost parallel (more so on the rear wheel).

I called my insurance and had it towed to the local MB Dealer. Just wondering if anyone had anything similar or know whats going to be involved in the repair. As you can imagine I am pretty bummed about it and am hoping they can get everything fixed. It is a 4Matic so should I be concerned about how the car will run afterwards?

Last edited by jattsingh; 12-25-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:07 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Your wheels are prolly bent so reconditioning them is not an option. New wheels are about $1700/ wheel give or take.

In th rear you messed up radial arm, lower control arm and who knows what else. I estimate about $1000 parts and labor assuming you did not destroy the half shaft- another $1000. The bearing is prolly gone too and pray the half shaft didn't crack the rear diff. $$$$$

In the front assuming there is no damage the front half shaft and diff you are looking at at least a bearing and who knows what else.

My very rough estimate is from $1500 low end (assuming wheels can be redone) to over $7500 assuming diffs are good. If you cracked a diff the bill easily can be over $10k.

Good luck.

Last edited by alx; 02-07-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:08 PM

ML500
Originally Posted by alx
Your wheels are prolly bent so reconditioning them is not an option. New wheels are about $1700/ wheel give or take.

In th rear you messed up radial arm, lower control arm and who knows what else. I estimate about $1000 parts and labor assuming you did not destroy the half shaft- another $1000. The bearing is prolly gone too and pray the half shaft didn't crack the rear diff. $$$$$

In the front assuming there is no damage the front half shaft and diff you are looking at at least a bearing and who knows what else.

My very rough estimate is from $1500 low end (assuming wheels can be redone) to over $7500 assuming diffs are good. If you cracked a diff the bill easily can be over $10k.

Good luck.
Thanks.. Insurance will be paying for it since it was an accident, all I have to do is pay my deductible. Let's see what the body shop says next week... My concern is sometimes they can fix it but the car is not the same afterwards... It is at a mercedes dealer so hopefully they can get it fixed up nicely..
Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Agree, wheel, differential, shaft, and wheel carrier come to mind depending on impact.
Attached Thumbnails Hit ice under snow on a turn - wheel hit the curb parallel and bent in (pictures)-1.jpg   Hit ice under snow on a turn - wheel hit the curb parallel and bent in (pictures)-2.jpg   Hit ice under snow on a turn - wheel hit the curb parallel and bent in (pictures)-3.jpg  
Old 02-07-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 S550 4Matic
Sorry to see that happen to you. I like the read Diffuser and Square Quad Tip mod.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
They'll fix it just fine... Don't worry ... Benz will do the heavy lifting with the drive train
Old 02-07-2015, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
As long as you get an adjuster with a bit of experience and an understanding of MB, and RWD/AWD you'll be okay. If you get a wet behind the ears kid he's not going to pick up on all the hidden damage (half shaft, bearings etc.) He's used to writing Chevys where a rear suspension assembly is a couple hundred bucks. I was an adjuster in a former life so post any issues and I'll walk you through getting it handled.

Car is going to need an alignment.

Last edited by Mike5215; 02-07-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike5215
As long as you get an adjuster with a bit of experience and an understanding of MB, and RWD/AWD you'll be okay. If you get a wet behind the ears kid he's not going to pick up on all the hidden damage (half shaft, bearings etc.) He's used to writing Chevys where a rear suspension assembly is a couple hundred bucks. I was an adjuster in a former life so post any issues and I'll walk you through getting it handled.

Car is going to need an alignment.
Lol. The way it works is the appriser writes up an estimate. Then the dealer tears down the affected areas and sends adjustments to appriser which usually signs off on the additional figure.

The appriser might not know the difference between Bugatti and a Tata, but the dealer will set things straight
Old 02-07-2015, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by alx
Lol. The way it works is the appriser writes up an estimate. Then the dealer tears down the affected areas and sends adjustments to appriser which usually signs off on the additional figure.

The appriser might not know the difference between Bugatti and a Tata, but the dealer will set things straight
Oh trust me, I was an auto damage appraiser for ten years. Unfortunately, shop managers...any you may find this hard to believe...inflate the estimate or supplement and...wait for it...pocket the difference. So an adjuster caught redlining (phone adjusting without an inspection or reinspection) has a short career.

The shop should do a tear down, the adjuster should reinspect and write a supplemental estimate using his own estimating software for part and labor prices. Typically these will line up with the shop's wish list but you'd be surprised how often parts get marked up over retail, or included operations are omitted to pad the labor.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Those look like 20" wheels, perhaps summer tires? Even with a 4Matic, a patch of ice with tires that don't grip, some lateral force = trouble? Is that what happened?

Sorry that it happened to you. It's a PITA no matter what....
Old 02-08-2015, 12:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Sorry to hear!!! Thats a total bummer. Thank goodness nobody got hurt and insurance will take care of it
Old 02-08-2015, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Sorry to see that , I think it will be fixed and it will ride like new
Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221/S550
Damn!!! That sucks big time.

That 19x8.5 or 19x9.5 wheel can be found on eBay for $375-$550 each.

The dealer wanted some astronomical price.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:22 PM

ML500
Originally Posted by snovvman
Those look like 20" wheels, perhaps summer tires? Even with a 4Matic, a patch of ice with tires that don't grip, some lateral force = trouble? Is that what happened?

Sorry that it happened to you. It's a PITA no matter what....
They were stock 19 inch amg wheels... The tires were almost new Michelin pilot sport as/3 which are all season... I was really surprised that I lost grip like that, I was driving extra slow and I was being cautious
Old 02-08-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by jattsingh
They were stock 19 inch amg wheels... The tires were almost new Michelin pilot sport as/3 which are all season... I was really surprised that I lost grip like that, I was driving extra slow and I was being cautious
My heart goes out to you man, nothing worse than to see your baby hurt like that and then all the worry sets in on whether it will be right or not after its fixed.. A couple years ago I bought a brand new fully loaded SUV.. two days later with 56 miles on it some girl texting went thru a stop sign and t boned me... It wasn't bad, a fender and the front pass side tire was messed up like yours.. they fixed it but it wasn't right.. I felt play and I was really bummed.. but I just stayed on them and the insurance until it was done right.. funny thing was they couldn't figure out what it was because everything felt tight on the lift.. but at certain angles over bumps you could feel it.. Anyway I ended up noticing on the invoice they replaced Damm near the whole suspension on that side but one tie rod.. so I told my insurance I wanted that replaced, and them wanting out of the deal decided to replace it on the hopes it would solve the issue and it did.. so just remember in a couple weeks you'll be driving it again and in a couple months it will just be a bad memory..
Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Problem is you will most likely end up with a ding on the carfax. This will hurt you at sale time. Take pics and preserve replacement parts list to show car was not in a serious trouble and was dealer repaired.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:44 PM

ML500
Originally Posted by alx
Problem is you will most likely end up with a ding on the carfax. This will hurt you at sale time. Take pics and preserve replacement parts list to show car was not in a serious trouble and was dealer repaired.
I dont know - I had a M-Class and I backed up into my cousins car backing out of the garage. I had about $1500 of damage to my car and used insurance. I never got anything on the carfax. Not sure if this will show up or not.... Not sure if the body shop reports it or insurance does. Of course if I sell it I will disclose what happened because I want the buyer to know everything.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM

ML500
So the insurance appraiser came back and met with the MB dealer. They are estimating about $3000 of repairs to the strut and replacement of the two rims. They said the tires had no damage to them. I am going there tomorrow to talk to them to sign the paperwork. They said that right now its all estimates and they wont know until they get it up and open how bad it is, but from what they can see it was all with the strut and the wheels.

I am wondering should I push for the tires to be replaced? seems like for safety reasons they should...
Old 02-09-2015, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Tires look okay in the pics. Did they get a chunk taken out on the sidewall or something? Do you really want one side of the car to have new tires?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

You don't need tires unless there is damage that cannot be seen in the pics...
Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by jattsingh
I dont know - I had a M-Class and I backed up into my cousins car backing out of the garage. I had about $1500 of damage to my car and used insurance. I never got anything on the carfax. Not sure if this will show up or not.... Not sure if the body shop reports it or insurance does. Of course if I sell it I will disclose what happened because I want the buyer to know everything.
I would watch that Carfax like a hawk, not that there is anything you can do about it other than to know what to expect. Gotta admit, not a big fan. I was involved in an accident that caused NO DAMAGE to my car. Not even a scratch. Car fax reported, and I quote, "Vehicle involved in an accident, no damage reported". Now a would be buyer can look at that line item a couple of ways. One way would be, Oh, good no damage from an accident. However, the first place my head would go when researching a car with an item like that in a Carfax report is that the seller hid some damage or that there is unknown damage. After all, why report the incident in Carfax if there was no damage? I am sure that line item reduced the resale value of my car. By the way, nobody was hurt in the incident.

So. . . This incident will most probably be reported in Carfax and it will reduce the resale value of the car. That is reason number xxx why accidents, no matter how innocent, are bad. I feel for the OP. If there are incidents or accidents involving a car with little, or even no damage, Carfax can and will get ahold of that information and report it. While I appreciate knowing about legitimate service or damage and repair history in a Carfax report, that information comes at the expense of usless information that hurts some sellers and has no business being reported in a Carfax report. C'est la vie. That is the downside to the Carfax business.

Last edited by mnje350; 02-09-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM

2002 F-350, 1999 E55 AMG, AMG Orphans Club International Member #118
Just a side note on your tires: if they weren't marked with either "M&S" or the "Snow Flake/Mountain" they are not really winter tires. All-season tires are not made to be used in temperatures less than 7*C, the compounds in the rubber are too hard, they do not grip like winter tires do.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 AM

ML500
I know, most likely something will be reported on the car fax... If so there is nothing I can do about it. I could have gotten it repaired on my own and avoided insurance but I would have to pay $2000 more ($1000 is my deductible) and that's assuming that's all the damage there is.. If there was more damage that they discover it could be more.

Either way your screwed - if you use insurance then it gets reported and you lose a bit at resale. If you pay for it all out of pocket without going through insurance then you lose probably the same but just up front on the repairs. When I sell the car I will have the chance to explain the accident and show all repairs done at MB dealer so hopefully that will help..

Originally Posted by mnje350
I would watch that Carfax like a hawk, not that there is anything you can do about it other than to know what to expect. Gotta admit, not a big fan. I was involved in an accident that caused NO DAMAGE to my car. Not even a scratch. Car fax reported, and I quote, "Vehicle involved in an accident, no damage reported". Now a would be buyer can look at that line item a couple of ways. One way would be, Oh, good no damage from an accident. However, the first place my head would go when researching a car with an item like that in a Carfax report is that the seller hid some damage or that there is unknown damage. After all, why report the incident in Carfax if there was no damage? I am sure that line item reduced the resale value of my car. By the way, nobody was hurt in the incident.

So. . . This incident will most probably be reported in Carfax and it will reduce the resale value of the car. That is reason number xxx why accidents, no matter how innocent, are bad. I feel for the OP. If there are incidents or accidents involving a car with little, or even no damage, Carfax can and will get ahold of that information and report it. While I appreciate knowing about legitimate service or damage and repair history in a Carfax report, that information comes at the expense of usless information that hurts some sellers and has no business being reported in a Carfax report. C'est la vie. That is the downside to the Carfax business.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 AM

ML500
I think they were ok, but I will double check when I go there tomorrow to sign the paperwork.

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Tires look okay in the pics. Did they get a chunk taken out on the sidewall or something? Do you really want one side of the car to have new tires?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:41 PM
MBW Editor

Front Page Coverage

We thought the front page crowd might benefit from this cautionary tale...
https://mbworld.org/articles/4matic-...vincible-snow/

Sorry about the hassle. Hopefully everything works out alright.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hit ice under snow on a turn - wheel hit the curb parallel and bent in (pictures)