S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

w221 headlight retrofit - Best Method

Old 09-30-2015, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
Exclamation w221 headlight retrofit - Best Method

So I've been researching and reading about various ways to get the 2010-13 w221 headlights (facelift) to work on 07-09 models...

I wanted to see from people that have made the retrofit, what works best, is most cost effective, and has anyone done it with Night Vision? I have OEM 2007 night vision and curve illumination, and cornering lights.

I already bought the 2012 headlights with night vision.

Here are the methods:
1) Wiring harness, 2010-13 Front SAM, Central Gateway Module + coding
2) MBSCA (Chris the Swede) wiring harness with magic black box
3) DCT/SonicMS wiring harness

UPDATE: There is a "plug and play" system now that works with Night View Assist! Under 1K on eBay. (seller "fishcake321")
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Facelift-LE...item282c403b24

Thanks!

Last edited by bensitto; 10-27-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S600, 2011 Ducati 1198
I am also interested in this, it seems to be cheaper rather then buying the actual facelift headlights. Which are also hard to find with night vision... But really, do we even need night vision? Does it just not work if the headlights are not night vision compatible or does it cause an error code/headlights not to work? Just curious..
Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
I can get the plug and play modded night vision headlights and you can use your old ballast and bulbs...for 2000.00 shipped anywhere in USA
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That would be great but I already have the 2012 night vision OEM headlights. Just trying to see what method is more reliable for the retrofit and get peoples feedback who have done the mod. I have an email out to Steve K, the pro on these things as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You only need the night vision version if your car already has Night vision. The headlights have emitters in them that work with the night vision camera.

Originally Posted by ducatista4life
I am also interested in this, it seems to be cheaper rather then buying the actual facelift headlights. Which are also hard to find with night vision... But really, do we even need night vision? Does it just not work if the headlights are not night vision compatible or does it cause an error code/headlights not to work? Just curious..
Old 10-01-2015, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts
Depends on the weather
Staying tuned...
Old 10-02-2015, 02:48 AM

08 S550 4Matic AMG Package
So you described a NON night vision example .....Anybody have a night vision solution.

S500 MAN .. more details on your post. what does all that consist of? I kind of a novice when it comes to that headlight stuff, but I do know I have nightvision and that's why I haven't done my lights yet.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know lots of member have made the headlight retrofit, please pitch in with your experiences.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S550
maybe this may work for you...
http://www.mbscashopen.com/s-class/w...sen-adapterkit
Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
This all seems like a ridiculous amount of money to spend just to update the style of the headlights.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Well yeah, but for some it is cheaper than purchasing an S600. The S600 owners are so lucky (spoiled LOL!).
Old 10-12-2015, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's looking like Chris the Swede's method might be the best way. I can get the front SAM and new central gateway way cheaper, but then I need someone to version code it... and sounds like lots of refining through SDS is needed. Not sure I can find a tech that will know what to do around the DC area.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:15 PM

MB S550
I just finished my ILS retrofit too after 3years of having them on car but not fully working (cornering and dynamic light did work) ILS funcion like highway mode and enhanced fog lights did not work, now they do and I used the genuine way. Currently Im retrofiting on my pre faclift 2007 s550 Active lane assist, Active blind spot assist, IHC - high beam assist... I also already retrofitted the facelift airmatic which is better choosing your self if you want airmatic sport or comfort.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by james510
I just finished my ILS retrofit too after 3years of having them on car but not fully working (cornering and dynamic light did work) ILS funcion like highway mode and enhanced fog lights did not work, now they do and I used the genuine way. Currently Im retrofiting on my pre faclift 2007 s550 Active lane assist, Active blind spot assist, IHC - high beam assist... I also already retrofitted the facelift airmatic which is better choosing your self if you want airmatic sport or comfort.
What parts did you need to add these options? Did you update the VeDoc or manually code the car? I have a 221.176 so it has everything available on 07-09, but the Active Lane Assist and ILS and Active Blind Spot Assist would be interesting options to add.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:13 PM

08 S550 4Matic AMG Package
Any comments on these lights for sale. I have the nightvision. I know drivers out there know what brand/manufacturer is good andwhich one are crappy and leak/water, poor quality etc etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150916667858?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 10-23-2016, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
None of the aftermarket work with nightvision that I know of. I can get them all, and there are some great quality units i can get you, but nightvision isn't supported if I remember.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
S550-07 Obsidianschwartz A200Turbo-07 Kosmosschwartz C200T -10 Tenoritgrau
Sorry for somewhat "hijacking" this thread but i have a problem with my headlight retrofit and do not know how to fix it.
I hope that someone of you which seem to have extended knowledge about these lights can share some wisdom :-)

I live in Norway have recently bought my S550 from Japan with full S63-facelift including the new headlights.
I don`t know which brand the new headlights are but they`ve got LED for the cornering illumination if that can give someone a clue of the brand.

My car has no ILS or Night Vision, but has option code 619 Cornering illumination and those LED`s work as they should ie they lit up to the side one are turning the steering wheel at an amount - but only when a gear is engaged.
And finally slowly fading out some seconds after the wheel is turned in the opposite direction

Since my car also has optioncode 616 Bi-Xenon with Active Curvelight i believe that the innermost lamp should swivel some degrees from side to side when turning the wheel but they do not.
Maybe this new headlamps does not have this functionality built in - which i do not know, but do the units on sale often come with this function ?
At least not i can`t get them to turn when looking at them when car is stationary even if a gear is selected - and i do not think they work when driving.

Should they swivel when stationary - only with gear selected - or only when driving ?
Could it be there are some programming that is not performed ?

I also have found the adjusting screw so my previous maladjusted right low beam is now ok - the high beam xenon also ok.
But the H7 halogen additional high beam is way too high on the right side after my adjustment . left side ok.
Is there any way to adjust this H7-additional high beam separately from the bi-xenon ? - manually or with STAR ? - up/down + sideways ?

I have searched this board and learnt a lot from the threads but can not find any explanation about how they should work. So I hope someone with knowledge can "shed some light" on this matter for us out there who is wondering about this.

Regards from northern Norway - above the Polar Circle - a land which are soon to be almost completely dark - day and night for some months now..

Thanks !

Magnus
Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Magnus Rostadmo
Sorry for somewhat "hijacking" this thread but i have a problem with my headlight retrofit and do not know how to fix it.
I hope that someone of you which seem to have extended knowledge about these lights can share some wisdom :-)

I live in Norway have recently bought my S550 from Japan with full S63-facelift including the new headlights.
I don`t know which brand the new headlights are but they`ve got LED for the cornering illumination if that can give someone a clue of the brand.

My car has no ILS or Night Vision, but has option code 619 Cornering illumination and those LED`s work as they should ie they lit up to the side one are turning the steering wheel at an amount - but only when a gear is engaged.
And finally slowly fading out some seconds after the wheel is turned in the opposite direction

Since my car also has optioncode 616 Bi-Xenon with Active Curvelight i believe that the innermost lamp should swivel some degrees from side to side when turning the wheel but they do not.
Maybe this new headlamps does not have this functionality built in - which i do not know, but do the units on sale often come with this function ?
At least not i can`t get them to turn when looking at them when car is stationary even if a gear is selected - and i do not think they work when driving.

Should they swivel when stationary - only with gear selected - or only when driving ?
Could it be there are some programming that is not performed ?

I also have found the adjusting screw so my previous maladjusted right low beam is now ok - the high beam xenon also ok.
But the H7 halogen additional high beam is way too high on the right side after my adjustment . left side ok.
Is there any way to adjust this H7-additional high beam separately from the bi-xenon ? - manually or with STAR ? - up/down + sideways ?

I have searched this board and learnt a lot from the threads but can not find any explanation about how they should work. So I hope someone with knowledge can "shed some light" on this matter for us out there who is wondering about this.

Regards from northern Norway - above the Polar Circle - a land which are soon to be almost completely dark - day and night for some months now..

Thanks !

Magnus
I would be very surprised if those after-market lights had a swivel feature. They are usually pretty basic architecture. None of the kits are available with night vision.

Here are the lights that you likely have. They are all made in Asia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facelift-LED...9X5Zt5&vxp=mtr

If you want the swivel feature, you're likely going to have to pick up a used pair of pre face-lift lights and install them.
The following users liked this post:
Magnus Rostadmo (10-04-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There IS finally an aftermarket Night vision plug and play system.

I have them installed on my car, every feature is included as OEM, Cornering LED lamps, and Active cornering headlamps. Here's where I got mine from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facelift-LED...item282c403b24

Here's my installation thread with photos:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...plugnplay.html

Lots of w221 headlights out there do not have all of these features. Read before you buy. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2017, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by bensitto
There IS finally an aftermarket Night vision plug and play system.

I have them installed on my car, every feature is included as OEM, Cornering LED lamps, and Active cornering headlamps. Here's where I got mine from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facelift-LED...item282c403b24

Here's my installation thread with photos:
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...plugnplay.html

Lots of w221 headlights out there do not have all of these features. Read before you buy. Good luck!
Does your car have Night Vision? Because everything I've seen shows that none of those kits have Night Vision projectors in them.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Does your car have Night Vision? Because everything I've seen shows that none of those kits have Night Vision projectors in them.
Curious about this as well, it seems from the eBay listing that it does.

* Brand NEW set (2 pieces, Left & Right) and Never been used

* Chrome Housing Neo Modern Diamond Cut Crystal Housing Headlights, Give you the latest Mercedes Look

* If you have the Night Vision model and your Infrared (IR) Reader is on your "Windshield," this headlight will fit your model and you will retain the Infrared Night Vision Feature.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by dlafever
Curious about this as well, it seems from the eBay listing that it does.

* Brand NEW set (2 pieces, Left & Right) and Never been used

* Chrome Housing Neo Modern Diamond Cut Crystal Housing Headlights, Give you the latest Mercedes Look

* If you have the Night Vision model and your Infrared (IR) Reader is on your "Windshield," this headlight will fit your model and you will retain the Infrared Night Vision Feature.
I remember checking it this a while ago on another eBay ad that contained the exact same language. It turns out that the headlights need to have IR projectors in them in order to retain Night Vision, which these units do not....and that having the reader on your windshield will not make them work.The ad is deceiving.
The following users liked this post:
dlafever (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
'15 S550, '10 E350 P1/P2, '02 ML320
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I remember checking it this a while ago on another eBay ad that contained the exact same language. It turns out that the headlights need to have IR projectors in them in order to retain Night Vision, which these units do not....and that having the reader on your windshield will not make them work.The ad is deceiving.
Very good point. And unfortunately from the eBay listing it is not clear whether these units have IR projectors. I may convince myself to buy a pair and if need be retrofit the projectors into the new housings if they are not there. This may require considerable adult beverage consumption.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by dlafever
Very good point. And unfortunately from the eBay listing it is not clear whether these units have IR projectors. I may convince myself to buy a pair and if need be retrofit the projectors into the new housings if they are not there. This may require considerable adult beverage consumption.
I ordered these. Currently in transit from New York to Dubai. Very excited about them. The seller has confirmed to me several times that on my 2009 s63 with AFS and Night Vision these will be plug and play. No coding required.
Guys do note that these are not just Depo but actually custom made by Depo for ReviMoterwerks. I have been researching on these lights for 4 months now since they had to be shipped to me in Dubai. Check out Revi moterwerks on YouTube. They do explain how their custom made Lights are different. They use a BMW example.

Anyway still not 100 percent Vouching for them until I install them. will try to get some pictures and report back

Last edited by sinstrex; 10-10-2017 at 02:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sinstrex:
dlafever (10-10-2017), vettebk (02-04-2024)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2009 S63 AMG
These work great but a little work needed

So I got my headlights and they look amazing and work great. No error what so ever.
- these have the h9 non infrared bulbs. So when you switch on the lights u will see them switch on above 20kph. That's how it's supposed to work but the original bulbs are infrared so u will have modify your h11 bulbs to fit in there.
- the fitment is okay. Not that great as it has to be pushed and pulled to fit.
-the Led amber indicator is too bright. You can see the sign boards illuminating but honestly I like it.
- the projectors are all over the place. No matter how much u adjust they will never be a straight cutoff.

All in all for the price I paid I am very happy. They are good value. They are a direct fit - plug and play. Just couldn't convince myself to spend over $1k.
please note that I am the only one judging my car. To everybody else around me they are perfect and nobody can tell the difference between these and the OEM.

​​​​​

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w221 headlight retrofit - Best Method