S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

W221 ANDROID touchscreen...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
Originally Posted by antiguangenius
you need to configure it in the host application, its a lil tricky but once it works its good
How did you managed to make the SELECT button work? I was able to maps all buttons I want except the SELECT button.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:10 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
Ok so today I finally figured out how to map the select button. Just in case someone will have same issue I had here is how:
On mapping menu click "Select" and display will prompt you to push the button you want to use as a select button two times. You however need to push the button only one time, then click "Select" again and then push the button second time. I know it doesn't make sense, but once you're on the mapping menu it will make a perfect sense.
The following users liked this post:
dlafever (01-15-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2008 AMG S65
Originally Posted by artim808
Does this work even if you use USB hub?
Yes it works with a USB hub.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL 63 AMG
Originally Posted by megacrazy
The confusion stems from the fact that the unit comes with 0 instructions, not even a harness pinout. Labels on the plugs are partly English and partly Chinese...so that's no help either.. But whatever, it is made in China after all. Here are connection instructions that I keep for myself for future reference. But wait...I should only distribute these to people that bought the unit from me like all the "vendors" here and Chinese suppliers on alibaba haha. I made these from memory after installing the unit so they should be mostly accurate.

Number 4 on the list does not come with the unit and needs to be bought separately.

Hopefully this helps some people and clears up some of the confusion.

Hi Megacrazy,

I have also japanese import CL thus no sound. I do have AUX harness but I don’t know how to read those pins.

Could you explain how to read pin order?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2020, 10:34 AM

2007 CL 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dhaif
No sound issue FIXED.

My car is s550 2006 JAPANESE imported.

I ordered this screen from China and they emailed me the instructions and diagrams.

Jp imported usually came with tv and no AUX, so the seller asked me to follow the TV diagram. I connected as instructed but no sound.

Sent him pics and we Scyped to set up again but nothing. He consulted with their engineer and replied that JP tv in the unit can not accept the android TV box so try to find the AUX cable behind fuse box or below gloves box. But there is no cables there. So I gave up and sent my car to a guy who always installs android for all kind of cars and take him less than 5 min to fix it.

If you have a car like my model so here are the steps:
1- program the c unit to activate AUX function.
2- there will be three harness came with screen to have audio (none worked for me).
3- the electrician guy pulled three wires out of the aux harness (red, black and white) that driginate from the screen and connected them to three blue wires in the (aftermarket) power caple. Which are they? Actually, I could not see that clearly when he did them but I was sure that he did not cut any of the original wires.

Hi,

Could you ask him which three blue wires those were? I have the same issue.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 AM

W221 s550
Originally Posted by Vesa
Hi,

Could you ask him which three blue wires those were? I have the same issue.

Thanks!
He is in a different city 400km away.
But I am sure that shops who install screen/sound systems know which wires once they see them.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by Vesa
Hi Megacrazy,

I have also japanese import CL thus no sound. I do have AUX harness but I don’t know how to read those pins.

Could you explain how to read pin order?

Thanks!
Sure. Grab a flashlight and look inside the connector. You'll see a 1 for pin 1. It's usually the left most pin, if you hold everything right side up. You need to check the specific wiring diagram in SDS for your car as well as coding. There may be differences because of the features that are installed and turned on.

As a side note, has anyone managed to get their TV-Box or AUX-Box working so far?
Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 AM

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dhaif
If you have a car like my model so here are the steps:
1- program the c unit to activate AUX function.
2- there will be three harness came with screen to have audio (none worked for me).
3- the electrician guy pulled three wires out of the aux harness (red, black and white) that driginate from the screen and connected them to three blue wires in the (aftermarket) power caple. Which are they? Actually, I could not see that clearly when he did them but I was sure that he did not cut any of the original wires.
So how I understand it - the AUX is activated via CANBUS function of the android radio, then connection is done via pin 5,15, 6(or 16) to the main plug. Need to try myself - I am also cursed with Japanese W221... :|

@Dhaif , can you confirm if your model works OK with the comand joystick and steering wheel controls?
Old 01-28-2020, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by amgs63dxb
So how I understand it - the AUX is activated via CANBUS function of the android radio, then connection is done via pin 5,15, 6(or 16) to the main plug. Need to try myself - I am also cursed with Japanese W221... :|

@Dhaif , can you confirm if your model works OK with the comand joystick and steering wheel controls?
That's correct. However the pins may differ on Japanese Comand models.

All the controls worked right out the box on my US model.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 S500L
I received my unit today. I have some questions, hope some of you can help:
  1. Is it possible to bench test this unit? I tried to connect 12v to the power leads (yellow and black on the main plug). But the screen does not turn on.
  2. Does the optical box work? My car (EU model, 2010) has TV. And is this connection 100% digital, or is it Digital -> Analog -> Digital?
  3. Has anybody tried this with a USB DAC? I prefer not used the cheap DAC of the unit itself. I'm thinking about connecting a Dragonfly and feed audio to the RCA plugs in my car.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by aximus
  1. Is it possible to bench test this unit? I tried to connect 12v to the power leads (yellow and black on the main plug). But the screen does not turn on.
  2. Does the optical box work? My car (EU model, 2010) has TV. And is this connection 100% digital, or is it Digital -> Analog -> Digital?
  3. Has anybody tried this with a USB DAC? I prefer not used the cheap DAC of the unit itself. I'm thinking about connecting a Dragonfly and feed audio to the RCA plugs in my car.
Not sure as I never tried. The unit does monitor CAN so it might get its wakeup signal that way. If that's the case then no (without some work). If it's regular wiring you should have an ignition wire in addition to the yellow wire (which is usually the battery wire).

I am not aware of anyone having succeeded to get the optical box to run. I've tried it on different models and it never worked. Maybe it will work for you.

You could get a USB DAC to work with it....but why put in the effort when the stock system will probably do a better job anyway. I use COMAND to play music.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:46 AM

2010 S500L
Not sure as I never tried. The unit does monitor CAN so it might get its wakeup signal that way. If that's the case then no (without some work). If it's regular wiring you should have an ignition wire in addition to the yellow wire (which is usually the battery wire).

I am not aware of anyone having succeeded to get the optical box to run. I've tried it on different models and it never worked. Maybe it will work for you.

You could get a USB DAC to work with it....but why put in the effort when the stock system will probably do a better job anyway. I use COMAND to play music.
Because the Android unit sends out an analogue signal to the COMAND unit. This means the Android unit is using it's internal DAC. And these head units have notoriously bad DAC's. If you have never experienced a good vs bad DAC you may be in for a treat.

From the bunch of wires coming from the Android unit, there is a red 'ACC Input' wire. I think that can be used to trigger the device, but I'm not sure.
Looking at a YouTube video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yyvss0M0Ow) where they show the unit outside of a car, they are only running two wires to the unit. But in the video, they don't show how it's wired up.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Because the Android unit sends out an analogue signal to the COMAND unit. This means the Android unit is using it's internal DAC. And these head units have notoriously bad DAC's. If you have never experienced a good vs bad DAC you may be in for a treat.

From the bunch of wires coming from the Android unit, there is a red 'ACC Input' wire. I think that can be used to trigger the device, but I'm not sure.
Looking at a YouTube video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yyvss0M0Ow) where they show the unit outside of a car, they are only running two wires to the unit. But in the video, they don't show how it's wired up.
You're exaggerating about how bad it is. There are many grades of Adnroid units. This one is towards the top of the Chinese made units. With the right tweaks you can get it to sound very close to stock, especially if you get the "TV box" to work...or the "AUX box". The issue I have is why put in the effort if stock works great?

Yes, generally you need to power the ACC and BAT wires at the same time to get units to turn on. What are you trying to bench test anyway?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 AM

2010 S500L
You're exaggerating about how bad it is. There are many grades of Adnroid units. This one is towards the top of the Chinese made units. With the right tweaks you can get it to sound very close to stock, especially if you get the "TV box" to work...or the "AUX box". The issue I have is why put in the effort if stock works great?

Yes, generally you need to power the ACC and BAT wires at the same time to get units to turn on. What are you trying to bench test anyway?
Another problem I have with the AUX input is that the volume is very low. I was hoping to hit two birds with one stone; better quality and higher volume. If you say that quality is good, I will give that a try, also saves 100 bucks on a DAC. Is output volume ok for you?

I want to bench test the DAC connection and check if my EU SIM card will work. Some operators in the Netherlands have overlap with Chinese 4G channels, some don't (or just part of the channels). And while I'm at it, maybe reverse engineer some of the software on it.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Another problem I have with the AUX input is that the volume is very low. I was hoping to hit two birds with one stone; better quality and higher volume. If you say that quality is good, I will give that a try, also saves 100 bucks on a DAC. Is output volume ok for you?

I want to bench test the DAC connection and check if my EU SIM card will work. Some operators in the Netherlands have overlap with Chinese 4G channels, some don't (or just part of the channels). And while I'm at it, maybe reverse engineer some of the software on it.
AUX volume was never an issue for me....And I said with lots of tweaks. I generally install Viper4Android.

Check out the TV box and let us know if it works for you
Old 02-27-2020, 06:04 AM

2010 S500L
I can now answer my own questions (patly):
  1. Yes, connect 12v to yellow wire (going into fuse box) and red wire (labeled ACC), connect ground to black wire (going into fuse box).
  2. I haven't received, not tested yet
  3. USB DAC does not work.

Fuse box (without enclosure).
Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 AM

2010 S500L
How to change the Boot Logo image:
  1. Goto Settings (the Android settings)
  2. Under 'Car infotainment', click 'General'
  3. Click 'Boot Logo'
  4. Enter password: '5678'
  5. ...the rest is self explanatory

Last edited by aximus; 02-27-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:14 AM

2010 S500L
AUX volume was never an issue for me....And I said with lots of tweaks. I generally install Viper4Android.

Check out the TV box and let us know if it works for you
I've looked into Viper4Android. But it requires rooting the device. How did you root it?

Volume level is ok. Not as good as mp3 playback from a usb stick or the internal hard drive, but ok enough.

Last edited by aximus; 03-08-2020 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-25-2020, 12:10 PM

C216 CL500 4Matic, R129 SL500, W204 C180
Hi guys,

i installed the android screen and discovered some Problems

On phone calls via Bluetooth the microphone from the android screen is used instead of the built in Mercedes Microphone. Also the Sound from the called person comes only over the included small Speaker instead of the built in Speakers
Is it possible to change this and use the built in components for calls over the adroid screen.

Bluetooth Audio works fine over the built in Speakers
Old 03-28-2020, 05:42 PM

2010 S500L
Originally Posted by Netzheimer
Hi guys,

i installed the android screen and discovered some Problems

On phone calls via Bluetooth the microphone from the android screen is used instead of the built in Mercedes Microphone. Also the Sound from the called person comes only over the included small Speaker instead of the built in Speakers
Is it possible to change this and use the built in components for calls over the adroid screen.

Bluetooth Audio works fine over the built in Speakers
You cannot use the Mercedes mic with the screen. I turned off Bluetooth on the screen, so the Mercedes handles phone calls.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:18 PM

CL63 AMG
Being able to use the command rotary knob in AutoKit is the only thing I really miss right now.
I've seen the screen where you can supposedly map buttons, but I'm not sure how to map the rotary knob to go to the next app, or scroll down a list.
Is there a tutorial as to which "button" on that screen has which function, exactly?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:14 PM

2008 AMG S65
Originally Posted by SimonBelgium
Being able to use the command rotary knob in AutoKit is the only thing I really miss right now.
I've seen the screen where you can supposedly map buttons, but I'm not sure how to map the rotary knob to go to the next app, or scroll down a list.
Is there a tutorial as to which "button" on that screen has which function, exactly?
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post7953566
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 PM

CL63 AMG
Thanks, I read that, but it still doesn't say how to set up AutoKit to work with the Comand rotary dial.
I've seen before where the app or list-selection was highlighted, and using a rotary knob, the user could scroll to the app or item on the list of choice, and then press to select it.
I can't seem to find which "button" in AutoKit to map the rotary dial to.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:38 PM

2008 AMG S65
Originally Posted by SimonBelgium
Thanks, I read that, but it still doesn't say how to set up AutoKit to work with the Comand rotary dial.
I've seen before where the app or list-selection was highlighted, and using a rotary knob, the user could scroll to the app or item on the list of choice, and then press to select it.
I can't seem to find which "button" in AutoKit to map the rotary dial to.
Map it to the "next" or "forward" button if I remember correctly. Select the button to map, rotate the knob CW.
The following users liked this post:
aximus (04-06-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 04:00 PM

2008 S63 AMG
Hi everybody!

Having a bit of trouble with the sound when installing the new android screen. My car has the AV connector, bur yesterday I found a digital tv installed under the floor on the passenger side, and I think they might have changed som connectors when the TV was installed. As far as I can see, I am supposed to install one of the supplied cables (from the android manufacturer) in the right hand side fuse box, near the glove box. The problem is that the connectors won't go together.

Can anyone of you see if this is the original connector, or if they might have been changed?

Thanks.

Br
Christian
'08 S63 Japan

Connector inside the fuse box, right hand side (by the glove box)

Connector inside the fuse box, right hand side, taken apart (by the glove box)

Connector in the car to the right, connector from the android installation to the left

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W221 ANDROID touchscreen...