S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Parktronic Startup Disable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Parktronic Startup Disable

So I took a drive the other day in the CL and left my Parktronic on. Man...it was interference central. The constant beeping is quite annoying. Thankfully I am running some custom built software/hardware that can toggle it on/off on startup based on settings. However, that's part of a larger product and...on the expensive side. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to turn it off using SDS...unless you remove it altogether.

I was thinking...who would be interested in something that would disable Parktronic on startup automatically? So every time you start the car, it would toggle it off. If you want to use it you'd have to press the button to turn it back on.

I could do a limited run of boards and hardware and take care of the issue. If you're interested leave a reply and we can get something started. Price point would be around 100$ probably. Installation would be fairly simple...just 12V switched power and CAN bus...and no more "car is about to explode" dramatic beeping.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:57 PM

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts
2007 S600
Yeah, we’ve discussed that exact thing a few months back. I even bought some hardware to start probing the CAN bus and do the same thing. Got a little busy, so I haven’t done anything with it.

Kind of silly, really, that no facility exists, even in DAS, to turn the fool thing off by default instead of on. Oh well.

I've gotten used to punching the button as soon as I start the engine. I’m not sure that it would be worth it to pay much for dedicated hardware to do it. If I decide to pull the trigger on one of the Android screen replacements, I was planning to write that into some code to execute at startup.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by DaleB
Yeah, we’ve discussed that exact thing a few months back. I even bought some hardware to start probing the CAN bus and do the same thing. Got a little busy, so I haven’t done anything with it.

Kind of silly, really, that no facility exists, even in DAS, to turn the fool thing off by default instead of on. Oh well.

I've gotten used to punching the button as soon as I start the engine. I’m not sure that it would be worth it to pay much for dedicated hardware to do it. If I decide to pull the trigger on one of the Android screen replacements, I was planning to write that into some code to execute at startup.
Yup I remember that. It’s slightly more complex than that with the Android units and it would impact the functionality of the unit etc etc. I feel like a plug and play solution would be the easiest seeing how everyone has just one goal in mind...stop the beeping.

Is it just me or is it getting worse and worse? Every other car seems to have sensors that interfere one way or another.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 W221
Originally Posted by megacrazy
So I took a drive the other day in the CL and left my Parktronic on. Man...it was interference central. The constant beeping is quite annoying. Thankfully I am running some custom built software/hardware that can toggle it on/off on startup based on settings. However, that's part of a larger product and...on the expensive side. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to turn it off using SDS...unless you remove it altogether.

I was thinking...who would be interested in something that would disable Parktronic on startup automatically? So every time you start the car, it would toggle it off. If you want to use it you'd have to press the button to turn it back on.

I could do a limited run of boards and hardware and take care of the issue. If you're interested leave a reply and we can get something started. Price point would be around 100$ probably. Installation would be fairly simple...just 12V switched power and CAN bus...and no more "car is about to explode" dramatic beeping.
totally interested
Old 05-27-2021, 10:58 AM

2007 S600
Is it just me or is it getting worse and worse? Every other car seems to have sensors that interfere one way or another.
That’s why I just reflexively push the button whenever I start the engine. Otherwise it’s almost guaranteed to start *****ing and screaming at the first or second traffic light. I really only turn it on when I’m parking somewhere really tight.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that the engineers back then didn't even think that somebody might want this thing disabled and only enabled when parking.

I looked into the Android solution more closely and it's not feasible unfortunately. There are too many units and MCUs out there and the implementation would be too invasive to make it worth it for the average person I think.

The way it works on my car, is based off ignition changes and is extremely fast/reliable. If you decide to toggle it off, every time the ignition is on and the system is on, it toggles it off. After that it leaves it alone until the ignition status changes again. So basically, you turn the car on, it toggles it off...then if you turn it back on manually, it leaves it be. Next time you start the car again, it will toggle it off again. No more headaches.
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 01:27 PM

2007 S600
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous that the engineers back then didn't even think that somebody might want this thing disabled and only enabled when parking.
Agreed.
I looked into the Android solution more closely and it's not feasible unfortunately. There are too many units and MCUs out there and the implementation would be too invasive to make it worth it for the average person I think.
For the average person, perhaps. I'd only be concerned about one implementation in one vehicle. Just a little snippet of code to simulate the user pushing the button, once, at boot time. It's not quite as straightforward doing it with Android as it is with Linux, but it's certainly not insurmountable. But, again, for me right now it's a very low priority since I've gotten used to just doing it manually. I won't be keeping the car forever, and my next one for sure won't have this issue.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 907 Likes on 752 Posts
S500
is the majority of this coming from Blind spot assist?

could you disconnect these and see how you get on. Its seldom an issue worth worrying about over here... but I don't have the rear facing blind spot bit
Old 05-27-2021, 02:47 PM

2007 S600
It's generally other vehicles' blind spot or parking radars interfering with the Parktronic radars. A large percentage of vehicles sold in the last 10 years or more in the US have blind spot sensors, and it's getting more and more common by the year.