S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Pre-safe, Distronic Plus, Blind spot all on the fritz. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
'00 SL600
Pre-safe, Distronic Plus, Blind spot all on the fritz. Help!

Hi All -

I have a 2015 S65 sedan with the full complement of technology (night vision, distronic plus, etc.). I'm now regularly getting messages in the dashboard about many of the features being unavailable (not working) for some reason. The list of things which don't work reliably now are Blind Spot assist, Pre-Safe (emergency braking, etc.), Distronic Plus assisted cruise control. Obviously, these are all really great features which I desperately want to work again.

Sure, I could take it to a dealer but they'll likely charge me beaucoup bucks to diagnose and fart around. Is there anything I can try to reset the system or possible troubleshoot by myself?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your FUYAA wont work. The system is very complicated. Get a second job and have the car diagnosed. Then once you know your fix after reading for a year!!
Old 05-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
2004 W240 Maybach 57
First and easiest place to look is your 12V battery charge. A sitting car can run down the battery and give warnings of systems unavailable. Maybe you have a consumer battery plus a starter battery, and your consumer battery would be the one to keep on a maintainer if it the car sits a lot.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:47 PM

'00 SL600
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Your FUYAA wont work. The system is very complicated. Get a second job and have the car diagnosed. Then once you know your fix after reading for a year!!
I'm usually pretty good at acronyms but I have to admit, you stumped me with FUYAA. I'm sure it's real helpful though. Thanks.

Originally Posted by SilberGrau57
First and easiest place to look is your 12V battery charge. A sitting car can run down the battery and give warnings of systems unavailable. Maybe you have a consumer battery plus a starter battery, and your consumer battery would be the one to keep on a maintainer if it the car sits a lot.
Good thought & thank you. I had the same initial suspicion since the car sat a long while during lockdown. I put a battery tender on it and it was back to full charge after about 24 hours. I thought "I'll bet that solved it." Noooop, no such luck.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 196 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo
I'm usually pretty good at acronyms but I have to admit, you stumped me with FUYAA. I'm sure it's real helpful though. Thanks.

Good thought & thank you. I had the same initial suspicion since the car sat a long while during lockdown. I put a battery tender on it and it was back to full charge after about 24 hours. I thought "I'll bet that solved it." Noooop, no such luck.
Did you ever have moisture in your headlights?
Old 05-29-2020, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
It could be the auxiliary battery needs to replaced and it’s cheap and easy to do. Search Youtube.

My dealer replaced my auxiliary battery when I had similar experience.

Another advise is to get an good OBD diagnostic module from Amazon:

iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart Professional Diagnostic Tool Scanner, New Version
Amazon Amazon

Best of luck.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:08 AM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo
I'm now regularly getting messages in the dashboard about many of the features being unavailable (not working) for some reason.
I hate to say it, but...
Out of warranty period, reliability of electronic components in your car (and mine as well for that matter) leaves a lot to be desired. 5 years is a long time, you know. I've kept mine for too long.
Maybe you should have bought a Lexus instead. Anyway, that's what I'm gonna do next.

Last edited by Kaloteck; 05-29-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:52 PM

'00 SL600
Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Did you ever have moisture in your headlights?
Nope, no moisture to date.

Originally Posted by S63AMG888
It could be the auxiliary battery needs to replaced and it’s cheap and easy to do. Search Youtube.

My dealer replaced my auxiliary battery when I had similar experience.

Another advise is to get an good OBD diagnostic module from Amazon:

iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart Professional Diagnostic Tool Scanner, New Version https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074224KTH..._D.j0EbPQ8R2TW

Best of luck.
Thanks, I may go the route of getting a new auxiliary battery. My independent mechanic used a MB specific diagnostic tool and the error code was something along the lines of "dirty or blocked". I removed the grille and looked closely at the distronic radar brick and the inside of the grille - nothing looked out of sorts/dirty or anything at all.