S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

E, C, S, S+ or I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 01:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
997.2TTS
E, C, S, S+ or I?

in which dynamic mode do u mostly drive?
99% of the time, i'm on C...and on occasion will go S+ for a bit more oomph and lower stance.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:22 PM

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 S580
Mainly in C...the car seems to be best suited for C.

Occasionally I take it to S, but somehow find that S doesn't suit it for long periods. Rarely very rarely take it to S+...way too choppy...its like the chassis and the engine stop communicating.

Haven't set anything in I mode yet (have owned the car for just a little over a year now...as C and S fit me just fine.
The following users liked this post:
bishop64 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
I, 100%, with steering and engine on sport. This does not make the car sporty; it gets the steering to where it's only ridiculously over boosted and you can sometimes tell that the throttle is really connected to an engine. Unlike comfort where my boat had better throttle response and the steering feels like it may or may not have a couple rubber bands attached to something that may or may not be wheels.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:57 PM

2022 S580
Originally Posted by crabman
I, 100%, with steering and engine on sport. This does not make the car sporty; it gets the steering to where it's only ridiculously over boosted and you can sometimes tell that the throttle is really connected to an engine. Unlike comfort where my boat had better throttle response and the steering feels like it may or may not have a couple rubber bands attached to something that may or may not be wheels.
I don’t think so Crab. The purpose of the S class is exactly as designed in comfort mode.

S class steering’s have traditionally been over boosted and throttle response is specifically designed not to cause any discomfort to the passengers by being jerky/aggressive.

While what you prefer is a subjective thing, the car is designed as is for a reason. And yes your arguments have merit, however, the comfort aspect is the reason people buy S classes.

There are plenty of sportier sedans out there including your previous Panamera. The number one priority for the S class is comfort. It’s traditionally always been that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bubba1:
bishop64 (03-28-2023), js_cls (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Comfort. I have never switched into Sport, I do put Eco on for some longer highway trips.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Agree completely. That's why it's a good thing that switching those did absolutely nothing to make the car sporty. They did however slightly reduce the discomfort of having controls that are so stupidly flaccid as to be anything but luxurious and comfortable.

The steering in individual sport is still possibly the most overboosted steering I've had in a sedan. Right up there with a Chrysler New Yorker I had back in the 70s. Even in sport the wheel will flop over with just a light touch from a single finger. Absolutely no one can complain about the effort because there is none. I'd also say there is nothing luxurious about steering that is so vague as to make it so you have no idea what is going on at the wheels or even if they are turning unless you carefully look at your surroundings to determine if something is happening.

The throttle isn't as bad but it just as the steering it's still well over on the soft side of average for any car in sport, putting it in that seeing in no way makes it sporty. Not even a little lively, it's just enough you can tell you have an engine. Here also I disagree with the chauffeur angle. It is no easier to move away from a stop smoothly in comfort than it is in sport. Nor is either one hard. Anyone that can't drive smoothly in sport you will also fail in comfort because the problem is not any abruptness in either mode; it's that the driver can't drive.

I'm not trying to insult you with any of this because you seem like a good dude. I just don't buy the chauffeur thing.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:55 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
98% C , 2% S

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2023, 07:22 PM

2022 S580
Agree completely. That's why it's a good thing that switching those did absolutely nothing to make the car sporty. They did however slightly reduce the discomfort of having controls that are so stupidly flaccid as to be anything but luxurious and comfortable.

The steering in individual sport is still possibly the most overboosted steering I've had in a sedan. Right up there with a Chrysler New Yorker I had back in the 70s. Even in sport the wheel will flop over with just a light touch from a single finger. Absolutely no one can complain about the effort because there is none. I'd also say there is nothing luxurious about steering that is so vague as to make it so you have no idea what is going on at the wheels or even if they are turning unless you carefully look at your surroundings to determine if something is happening.

The throttle isn't as bad but it just as the steering it's still well over on the soft side of average for any car in sport, putting it in that seeing in no way makes it sporty. Not even a little lively, it's just enough you can tell you have an engine. Here also I disagree with the chauffeur angle. It is no easier to move away from a stop smoothly in comfort than it is in sport. Nor is either one hard. Anyone that can't drive smoothly in sport you will also fail in comfort because the problem is not any abruptness in either mode; it's that the driver can't drive.

I'm not trying to insult you with any of this because you seem like a good dude. I just don't buy the chauffeur thing.
No offence taken Crab. I respect your opinion. However, I also believe it’s important to understand the pedigree, heritage and history of the S Class and what the primary purpose of the S class is: comfort for the driver and the passengers.

The car has never materially wavered from this purpose, hence a loyalty rate of some 70 percent of buyers being repeat customers.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
50.0%: Comfort
50.0%: I: Sport Suspension, Eco Engine, Comfort Steering and ESP
<0.001%: Sport

Last edited by S_W222; 03-29-2023 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:51 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by S_W222
50.0%: Comfort -----------------> For city driving?
50.0%: I: Sport Suspension, Eco Engine, Comfort Steering and engine --------------------> For highway driving?
<0.001%: Sport
see above pls
Old 03-28-2023, 11:04 PM
TSA

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn
in which dynamic mode do u mostly drive?
99% of the time, i'm on C...and on occasion will go S+ for a bit more oomph and lower stance.
if I got any passenger in the rear , I’ll use the maybach mode. Mine doesn’t have the s+ mode sadly
Old 03-29-2023, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by bishop64
see above pls
I did, but what do you mean exactly?

Oh I see it now, yes that I mode works perfect for highway but I also use it sometimes in town when I just want to cruise around. But generally yes, mostly C for city, and then if the roads are good highway I use Sport suspension in I mode with eco engine mode.
bishop64 (03-29-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)

Sorry if I misunderstood you but I think a 7-series will be a vehicle you would prefer more in that case?
Old 04-05-2023, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
The 7 series is hideous to my eye, I can do meh, but hideous is a bridge too far. I think however you (and others) may be conflating these sport settings as putting actual sportiness on offer, that is not correct.

I'm just now finishing up a journey of several months, during which I had a good many rental cars. This car in individual with the sport setting for steering and throttle has a softer throttle than a Camry. Softer than an Accord. Softer than a Jetta. Softer than a Chrysler 300... I can go further here but you get the idea and the same thing applies to the steering. There is nothing whatsoever sporty about this car in sport engine and steering. Using the word sport utterly mischaracterizes those settings. Nor did I want sportiness in this car, I'm all in on comfort right down to ordering Exec with the smallest possible wheels. My turning it to sport in those settings had nothing to do with trying to get any kind of sport response whatsoever, none.

When I said that bit about the New Yorker that was not hyperbole, the steering is stupidly over boosted to no good end. For hyperbole, lets go with the many-worlds interpretation: In an infinite number of worlds populated with an infinite number of New Yorkers not in any of them did a driver get out of the car and say, "I hope this steering is still around 50 years from now."

I get a sense of The Emperor's New Clothes with this control paradigm. It does not make the car smoother or easier to drive but people go with it even though it makes no sense as to why your car's throttle should not function well or that having steering that goes beyond effortless and into a realm of "can't tell a damn thing" would be a good idea.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I don't think the steering or throttle are that bad honestly, nothing compared to an old town car.

Last edited by js_cls; 04-05-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Bubba1 (04-05-2023)