Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Please define “not too distant future.”
AM radio being eliminated is just one of the first things we are about to never see again. No big deal for me as I've not tuned into AM radio in 30 years or more.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I drove a Supercharged G90 when they first came out. I could not believe the outstanding ride quality, especially with 21” wheels. About two weeks ago on a Sunday, I visited one of the Genesis dealers here in Orange County. I just sort of strolled into the back area where the service department was and I was absolutely shocked. The place was dirty, beat up, run down and definitely in need of maintenance. It looked like something I might expect to see in a third world country. I imagined my nice, new G90 being “serviced” there and it was not a good image.

Genesis really needs to kick their dealers in the *** and insist that they build brand new, stand alone facilities. Taking a $100K Genesis to a Hyundai dealership for service is not cool. Of course, they will pick your car up for servicing, but it’s just not the same. MB & Lexus dealer service departments here are just exquisite. Genesis needs to go that way.
Our Genesis/Hyundai dealership in Birmingham, AL is going through a major renovation process. Been go on for nearly a year so it better be good. I will check it out in a few more weeks. We have 2 MB dealerships. One for MB cars and other is just for Vans/Sprinter cars. Both locations service all MB products.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by 190Efan
A lot less than the continuing cost of seriously poisoning our planet that burning the planet killing fossil fuel is costing.
I can't believe you actually believe we can kill this planet using a God-given resource.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 06:28 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon

Old 05-22-2023, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz
No lie. My motorcycle has the same wheel base length as a Smart Car. I actually pulled up next to one of these type of vehicles and compared the total length. The same!!!
Old 05-22-2023, 07:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,963 Likes on 3,116 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Taking a $100K Genesis to a Hyundai dealership for service is not cool.
What about taking your new 911, costing far more than $100k, to a "Porsche" dealer where the next lift in the service bay has a clapped-out 20 year old Ford Explorer on it? That's how it is at my local Porsche dealer.

The service bay "back of house" business is shared between VW, Audi and Porsche. In addition to this this, said "Porsche" dealer has a $1.5m Carrera GT and several high-dollar 964s sitting outside in a generally open storage/parking lot. I'm sure the lot had "normal" levels of car dealer security and insurance, but isn't the owner of a $1.5m "special" car supposed to be treated "specially"? Evidently not.

BTW the VW dealer has the same brand of granola bars as the Porsche dealer. The VW dealer even had coffee, too.

Dealers are clown carnivals across all brands.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
hyperion667 (05-24-2023), MBS63AMG (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by chassis
What about taking your new 911, costing far more than $100k, to a "Porsche" dealer where the next lift in the service bay has a clapped-out 20 year old Ford Explorer on it? That's how it is at my local Porsche dealer.

The service bay "back of house" business is shared between VW, Audi and Porsche. In addition to this this, said "Porsche" dealer has a $1.5m Carrera GT and several high-dollar 964s sitting outside in a generally open storage/parking lot. I'm sure the lot had "normal" levels of car dealer security and insurance, but isn't the owner of a $1.5m "special" car supposed to be treated "specially"? Evidently not.

BTW the VW dealer has the same brand of granola bars as the Porsche dealer. The VW dealer even had coffee, too.

Dealers are clown carnivals across all brands.
Yep, you have a good point. We are living in some weird times in terms of automotive realities. Nothing to add here. Keep scrolling.

Last edited by MBS63AMG; 05-22-2023 at 08:13 PM.
chassis (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,772 Posts
2024 S580
There were no gas stations on every corner when the automobile was first invented.
And? We are not living in a time when the automobile was first invented. I have no issue with an EV, but I don't particularly want to be a "pioneer". I would buy a Tesla now and drive it on trips, but not any other EV because they don't have the infastructure Tesla does...and I don't love Teslas...only one I would consider is a Model S and even then, I don't love the car. If I could charge it at Tesla superchargers I would get an i7 now. If the EQS looked like the S Class and I could charge it at Tesla Superchargers I would get one now...but I hate the styling of the EQS and then there is the charging issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
MBS63AMG (05-23-2023), Streamliner (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
I doubt it's Tesla given Tesla's poor technology and poor build quality.
Yet they have incredibly impressive sales figures that keep growing. Why do you think that is?
Old 05-22-2023, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by S_W222
Graph appears to be accurate and matches reported quarterly sales numbers in multiple other sources. I welcome any corrections though, if the reported numbers in that source are incorrect. The numbers also scale well with the published annual sales numbers for both companies: Mbenz sold ~2MM vehicles, Tesla sold 1.3MM vehicles but their sales trends are increasing YoY and quarter to quarter.

As for the fact Model S and X accounting for only 3% of Tesla sales, why does it matter in this context? OP question is about Mbenz in general, as a corporate, (not specifically S-class vs Model S or Model X). Even if we focus on the luxury S-class line, S-class in 2022 also accounted for 4% of Mbenz sales too (For the US market). As @SW20S , the majority of Mbenz vehicles are in the same price range as Model Y and Model 3 (this includes the GLC which is the best Mbenz selling vehicle in the US (65K sold in 2022 in the US). The same applies to the C-class being the best selling Sedan for Mbenz in the US. People and the upcoming generation would rather get a Model 3 that is slightly cheaper than a C-class (not me, but most people apparantly prefer the Model 3 over C-class or BMW 3-series). The reason I highlighted Model S and X in my first comment is that I assume S-class owners would be mostly interested in the Model S and X line if they ever switch. I don’t know the number, but I would not be surprised if Tesla sold more Model S/X cars than the Mbenz S-class and GLS combined (haven’t researched it). Not a Tesla fan, but can’t deny Tesla’s potential (To OP’s point, Mbenz should fear from Tesla).
Tesla’s recent price cut, if anything, will help improving Tesla’s sales number even better. I actually commend Tesla for adjusting their prices.

The reason why the argument is flawed is because the price is not part of the equation. Back in the day when Tesla sold a lot of Model S/X at $100K+, they were clearly eating into the luxury market. Meanwhile what they call the premium market, German manufacturers have increased prices while Tesla has decreased prices by double digits. They are now not on the same price level anymore. In fact, with the majority of their sales (Model 3/Y), Tesla is now just hovering around/above the US average sales price of $47k or so. Not sure if that even fits into the premium segement

Meanwhile, last year 30% of all US Mercedes sales were Top-End Luxury vehicles (Mercedes-AMG, Mercedes-Maybach, G-Class, S-Class, GLS, EQS and EQS SUV). Virtually all of these are $100K+ cars. This is a theme that happens worldwide. Lower volume, higher margins. They are at their highest profitability right now if memory serves.

Btw. I am a great EV fan and have been eagerly waiting for the right car to come along. Still have a Tesla Cybertruck on order (for what I don't know what I thought it was cool) and recently cancelled the order for the Lucid Air because they are not coming to our state anytime soon. A Plaid is looking better with each price drop
MBNUT1 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
Lotta EVs on the horizon; waiting isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
Streamliner (05-22-2023), Wolfman (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
I can't believe you actually believe we can kill this planet using a God-given resource.
You are kidding right?
Old 05-22-2023, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 448 Posts
Current/Last 5-years:S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:S550, BMW X7; X5;BMW 530e;20'Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by Wolfman
..//..
Btw. I am a great EV fan and have been eagerly waiting for the right car to come along. Still have a Tesla Cybertruck on order (for what I don't know what I thought it was cool) and recently cancelled the order for the Lucid Air because they are not coming to our state anytime soon. A Plaid is looking better with each price drop
That’s cool.. I also have an order in place for Tesla CyberTruck placed over a year ago. Though like you said, I have no idea what I thought/think it is cool!. With such high demand, it may not be a bad to be on the line and see how it goes.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
You are kidding right?
Fossil fuel is created by burning the rotted remains of the dinosaurs who were killed when a devastating asteroid struck the earth. The supply of fossil fuel is finite because the number of rotted dinosaur remains is finite. These are facts.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by SW20S
Yet they have incredibly impressive sales figures that keep growing. Why do you think that is?
Most people aren't engineers so they're buying the sales hype. After a few years of ownership where they experience the poor build quality and their allegedly driverless cars crashing into emergency vehicles, they'll change their tune. In the meantime, more manufacturers with better quality vehicles are now coming to market and that will also help to lower Tesla's market share.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
And? We are not living in a time when the automobile was first invented. I have no issue with an EV, but I don't particularly want to be a "pioneer". I would buy a Tesla now and drive it on trips, but not any other EV because they don't have the infastructure Tesla does...and I don't love Teslas...only one I would consider is a Model S and even then, I don't love the car. If I could charge it at Tesla superchargers I would get an i7 now. If the EQS looked like the S Class and I could charge it at Tesla Superchargers I would get one now...but I hate the styling of the EQS and then there is the charging issue.
The EQS styling is all about aerodynamics. I'm sure people had range anxiety when cars were first invented due to the lack of gas stations.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by MBS63AMG
FYI, fossil fuel is created by burning the rotted remains of the dinosaurs who were killed when a catastrophic asteroid hit the Earth. There was a finite number of dinosaurs which means there's a finite supply of fossil fuel. The continued burning of fossil fuels is strangling our planet's respiratory system in the same way that cigarette smoking poisons a human beings respiratory system. Our planet is telling us this on a now daily basis with rising temperatures which are causing the polar ice caps to melt which is then causing sea level rise. Warmer air is causing the weather patterns to change resulting in longer and hotter heat waves, more intense hurricanes and droughts, longer, hotter summers, longer allergy seasons, tropical diseases showing up in non-tropical parts of the world such as the West Nile and Zika tropical diseases now being found in non-tropical North America. My engineer father with bachelors and masters degrees in engineering, more than 40 years of aviation and automotive engineering work experience and was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers well understood these now well established facts. His solution was green sourced hydrogen which is the most abundant element in the universe with water being the only by-product when green hydrogen is burned. It's time for you to understand these facts and unavoidable realities as well.
The engineers at Mercedes-Benz as well as engineers at auto companies in general understand these realities and this is pushing them to design vehicles that no longer run on the planet killing fossil fuels

Last edited by 190Efan; 05-23-2023 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Forgot a point
Old 05-23-2023, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Most people aren't engineers so they're buying the sales hype. After a few years of ownership where they experience the poor build quality and their allegedly driverless cars crashing into emergency vehicles, they'll change their tune. In the meantime, more manufacturers with better quality vehicles are now coming to market and that will also help to lower Tesla's market share.
Oh please, not the engineer bull**** again lol

Tesla also has some of the highest levels of customer retention and satisfaction in the industry, the bottom line is those buyers just value different things, the build quality issues (which are way overblown) aren't a big deal for them.

The EQS styling is all about aerodynamics. I'm sure people had range anxiety when cars were first invented due to the lack of gas stations.
Yet much more attractive cars are equally or close to as Aerodynamics.

When cars were first invented they were not relied upon methods of transportation, they were a toy...people didn't drive long distances, the two situations just can't be compared. The EV infrastructure will get there, its just not there yet enough for me to take the leap with a car I plan to use for travel and not just daily driving.
MBS63AMG (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Please define “not too distant future.”
You're failing to note 2 realities, the planet killing fossil fuel will run out in the not too distant future and the continued burning of the planet killing fossil fuel is seriously poisoning our planet.
In about the next 50 years or so depending on how quickly the world moves away from burning fossil fuels. BTW, Saudi Arabia understands this and is now in the process of diversifying its economy away from oil.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by crabman
Poisoning planet, fossil fuels bad, fossil fuels running out, planet killer. Think we got it the first time there Skippy; take a chill pill. Please.
My engineer father with bachelors and masters degrees in engineering, more than 40 years of aviation and automotive engineering work experience and was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers well understood these well established facts. It's time for you to do the same.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Oh please, not the engineer bull**** again lol

Tesla also has some of the highest levels of customer retention and satisfaction in the industry, the bottom line is those buyers just value different things, the build quality issues (which are way overblown) aren't a big deal for them.

Yet much more attractive cars are equally or close to as Aerodynamics.

When cars were first invented they were not relied upon methods of transportation, they were a toy...people didn't drive long distances, the two situations just can't be compared. The EV infrastructure will get there, its just not there yet enough for me to take the leap with a car I plan to use for travel and not just daily driving.
FYI, knowledge is power. Engineering knowledge is most helpful in determining what vehicle to buy. Most people don't have it. This is why non-engineer Elon Musk has been able to fool lots of people because of their lack of engineering knowledge. Elon is of the very mistaken notion that he knows more about building cars than the Society of Automotive Engineers. He doesn't and never will. Musk is about to find out what real competition is with vehicles being produced by companies building them for far longer than Musk has been building cars. Musk is also too distracted by SpaceEx and Twitter. The longtime vehicle builders don't have such a distraction. Again I say that with the new competition and Tesla's poor build quality and accident causing self driving system that's now under federal investigation, buyers will now have more EV options and bad experiences with actually owning a Tesla to influence their future EV purchases.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
You are kidding right?
No , not kidding.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Fossil fuel is created by burning the rotted remains of the dinosaurs who were killed when a devastating asteroid struck the earth. The supply of fossil fuel is finite because the number of rotted dinosaur remains is finite. These are facts.
LMAO.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
FYI, fossil fuel is created by burning the rotted remains of the dinosaurs who were killed when a catastrophic asteroid hit the Earth. There was a finite number of dinosaurs which means there's a finite supply of fossil fuel. The continued burning of fossil fuels is strangling our planet's respiratory system in the same way that cigarette smoking poisons a human beings respiratory system. Our planet is telling us this on a now daily basis with rising temperatures which are causing the polar ice caps to melt which is then causing sea level rise. Warmer air is causing the weather patterns to change resulting in longer and hotter heat waves, more intense hurricanes and droughts, longer, hotter summers, longer allergy seasons, tropical diseases showing up in non-tropical parts of the world such as the West Nile and Zika tropical diseases now being found in non-tropical North America. My engineer father with bachelors and masters degrees in engineering, more than 40 years of aviation and automotive engineering work experience and was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers well understood these now well established facts. His solution was green sourced hydrogen which is the most abundant element in the universe with water being the only by-product when green hydrogen is burned. It's time for you to understand these facts and unavoidable realities as well.
The engineers at Mercedes-Benz as well as engineers at auto companies in general understand these realities and this is pushing them to design vehicles that no longer run on the planet killing fossil fuels
You have not studied geological and archeological data like I have for the past 40 years. Fuel comes from the eruption of inner molten lava that the earth has plenty of. In no way were there enough dead dinosaur carcasses to provide enough fuel we have at our fingertips. I can't believe you have fallen for the myth of fossil fuels. Also in no way would we have to tap thousands of feet underground to find it.

Last edited by MBS63AMG; 05-23-2023 at 04:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBS63AMG:
Drone_S213 (05-23-2023), hyperion667 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
You're failing to note 2 realities, the planet killing fossil fuel will run out in the not too distant future and the continued burning of the planet killing fossil fuel is seriously poisoning our planet.
In about the next 50 years or so depending on how quickly the world moves away from burning fossil fuels. BTW, Saudi Arabia understands this and is now in the process of diversifying its economy away from oil.
I'm now at the point of belly-laughing. Thanks for the comedy routine. I have proof you are wrong but this is not the place to discuss this.

Last edited by MBS63AMG; 05-23-2023 at 04:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What brand is MB’s nemesis these days?