S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

MB approved for Level 3 Autonomous driving…..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
MB approved for Level 3 Autonomous driving…..

Just saw this: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...d%20Last%2030D

Hope it works better than the door handles!
Old 06-09-2023, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 749 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 S500
I enjoy distronic and wouldn’t buy a car without something similar, but I’m not anywhere near a point where I would trust a car to completely drive itself. Every time I see some naive fool sleeping behind the wheel of a Tesla, I think to myself: that is the definition of Darwinism. Considering how glitchy and temperamental there new cars are, no thanks. At least not yet. However, that is not to say that I wouldn’t take MB’s system and treat just like I do with distronic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frenetic:
MBS63AMG (06-09-2023), Streamliner (06-10-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
Originally Posted by Frenetic
I enjoy distronic and wouldn’t buy a car without something similar, but I’m not anywhere near a point where I would trust a car to completely drive itself. Every time I see some naive fool sleeping behind the wheel of a Tesla, I think to myself: that is the definition of Darwinism. Considering how glitchy and temperamental there new cars are, no thanks. At least not yet. However, that is not to say that I wouldn’t take MB’s system and treat just like I do with distronic.
I agree. Just yesterday I was driving along a U.S. Hwy on adaptive cruise and as I was on adaptive cruise at around 63 mph, a road from my right was a merging road and suddenly for no apparent reason, the car slowly dropped to 14 mph for no reason whatsoever. I was going to wait and see if it came to a complete stop but I saw a freight truck coming up from behind me so I resumed to my set speed. This was in my Audi but the same things happened with my S560 and it always happens when something from the right interferes (either a merging lane or a road that enters in at an angle) regardless if there is a car there or not. Usually no car.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,119 Likes on 707 Posts
23 S580 Executive
It's a narrow set of conditions under which it works, narrow enough some may seldom, or even never, encounter them. I avoid the times where this might be engaged in my area; if it was up and running here I would have never used it despite being on the freeway most days.

I love new tech but it's hard to care about a toy unless you get to play with it.
Old 06-10-2023, 04:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Frenetic
Then there is also the should the car save the cat or the dog decision that the computers just wouldn't be able to make.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 688 Likes on 510 Posts
MB
I enjoy watching how far tech has advanced but I'm not quite willing to participate until it's perfected or proven with a lot of data and research.

This guy does a lot of short videos showing AI driving:
https://youtube.com/@AIDRIVRShorts

Last edited by wildta; 06-10-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 560S
Originally Posted by crabman
It's a narrow set of conditions under which it works, narrow enough some may seldom, or even never, encounter them. I avoid the times where this might be engaged in my area; if it was up and running here I would have never used it despite being on the freeway most days.

I love new tech but it's hard to care about a toy unless you get to play with it.
+1 LOL No one can say it better than that!
I first used distronic in my 2014 driving to FL. In the AM the sun hit the camera just right to blind it, the system shut off however, aside the green wheel turned off no other alert, sound, was issued. I noticed we were drifting off the road and had to correct - all at 75.
At one exit, someone lost their load (steel pipe?) which gouged the blacktop as they pulled off down the exit ramp. When I use the right lane the distronic sees the gouge and begins to follow like it was a lane marker - again need to intercede - 2020 S560.
So no sleeping for me, thank you. I use distronic during long trips (to keep the wife out of the left seat.). I am always impressed how relaxed I am at any break stops.

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2023, 03:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,616 Likes on 2,224 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by VicLaw
+1 LOL No one can say it better than that!
I first used distronic in my 2014 driving to FL. In the AM the sun hit the camera just right to blind it, the system shut off however, aside the green wheel turned off no other alert, sound, was issued. I noticed we were drifting off the road and had to correct - all at 75.
At one exit, someone lost their load (steel pipe?) which gouged the blacktop as they pulled off down the exit ramp. When I use the right lane the distronic sees the gouge and begins to follow like it was a lane marker - again need to intercede - 2020 S560.
So no sleeping for me, thank you. I use distronic during long trips (to keep the wife out of the left seat.). I am always impressed how relaxed I am at any break stops.
I guess in the past DISTRONIC was really used for stop and go traffic, especially those who commute to work, after a long work day, you don't want to have to go through the stress and become exhausted by stepping on the brakes and then on the accelerator... Rinse and Repeat.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
I don't understand why the EQs door handles work perfectly. As soon as I walk into the garage all four of my door handles are opened, as of yet without fail.

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Just saw this: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...d%20Last%2030D

Hope it works better than the door handles!
Old 06-14-2023, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,665 Likes on 2,099 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by teksurv
I don't understand why the EQs door handles work perfectly. As soon as I walk into the garage all four of my door handles are opened, as of yet without fail.
Congratulations! Some, if not the majority of them seem to work as designed and/or their owners don’t care that they sometimes don’t work just right. Just this evening, I dropped my wife off to pick up dinner. When she came out, I hit the unlock button, the handles extended, but the electronic latch release did not work when she went to open the door, requiring her to really yank hard to get the door to open. With my car, it’s like a box of chocolates: you never know what you’re gonna get.