Ordered a new car today…………

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,735 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by S_W222
I didn't say they are not available on the 50....... I know that, but some are already standard in the 60 (i.e.: LED Sky Lounge). In the M70, most of them are already standard. In 2025, more options are switched to STD for 60, or at least optional, when they are not available for the 50 (Sounds like it's believe the Laminated Glass is one of those for 2025 but I haven't seen that formally yet in the 2025 ordering guide). I would not get a 7-series without laminated glass no matter what... That's probably one reason that many folks are complaining about the extra road noise in the 7 compared to the previous generation. Laminated Glass makes a difference.
ALL 7 Series have laminated glass. The climate comfort glass just adds the IR rejecting layer like the S Class has, it has nothing to do with reducing noise. The laminated glass is there without the climate comfort glass, I have checked this physically myself.

Even optioned up the same way, the 50 is still nearly $20,000 cheaper than the 60. The only things that aren't available on the 50 that are on the 60 is the lounge seating, the cashmere interior, climate comfort glass and the autobahn package. Unless you really want the slightly better performance and the AWD $18,000 difference is a hard pill to swallow...
Old 02-29-2024, 02:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,941 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
i7 M70 isn't a real M car.... the special suspension and steering tuning would probably be true if it was an M car, but for the M70, I think if u can spec the xDrive 60 with the same packages, you'd get similar driving experience. That's the reason that the M5 drives much better even comfort wise than the M550.

Recently BMW started a sneaky approach to leverage the BMW M reputation by adding the M badge on their non-M cars and labeling them as (M-Performance cars).... those are still NOT built up to the same standards of the BMW M (HIGH-PERFORMANCE M MODELS) which the 7-series isn't one of them. Hence I really doubt the the i7 M70 would be that much different comfort wise than the i7 xDrive 60 if u can option it with the same suspension packages.
MB does the same with the AMG lite cars eg GLE53 and prior platform GLE43. Same with E-, C-, GLC- and SL-Class models.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 411 Posts
Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
Originally Posted by SW20S
ALL 7 Series have laminated glass. The climate comfort glass just adds the IR rejecting layer like the S Class has, it has nothing to do with reducing noise. The laminated glass is there without the climate comfort glass, I have checked this physically myself.
That's not entirely true. The glass on the i7 50 and 60 are standard laminated glass. It has good properties over regular single layer glass, but it is not identified as "Acoustic Glass, AG" by the label. True acoustic glass in BMW cars with an acoustic interlayer between the panes is identified as such by word or graphically. I know that from personal experience. I am sure the 50 and 60 does not have AG glass. What am not sure about is whether the climate comfort glass package in the M70 adds AG glass to or not. I have not checked the physical glass in the i7 M70 myself to see if it is (AG) glass or not, but I know the 50 and 60 doesn't have it. You can find a few people too talking about the same. Having “acoustic glass” on couple of my BMWs, I definitely can relate to that especially when picking up a loaner of the same but without AG. 7 is quiet and its base glass is thick, but the acoustic glass makes a difference. AG in BMW is mentioned out in the glass ID "bug" either by name or graphically with the ear symbol. It's listed for my X7 and un the spec too, and am certain it was not mentioned on the i7 xDrive 60 that I saw about 6 months ago. Folks online confirmed the same as far as AG not available on the 50 and 60. Will the extra package available on the M70 include that? I don't know but I hope it does for a car like the 7.

Last edited by S_W222; 02-29-2024 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
s580
IMO the ridiculously large grill on the front of that monstrosity makes it look like freight truck. They reached e new level of ugly sorry to say.
The Benz has a much more refined style. But so long as your happy.
The following users liked this post:
regancc (03-01-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
That's not entirely true. The glass on the i7 50 and 60 are standard laminated glass. It has good properties over regular single layer glass, but it is not identified as "Acoustic Glass, AG" by the label. True acoustic glass in BMW cars with an acoustic interlayer between the panes is identified as such by word or graphically. I know that from personal experience. I am sure the 50 and 60 does not have AG glass. What am not sure about is whether the climate comfort glass package in the M70 adds AG glass to or not. I have not checked the physical glass in the i7 M70 myself to see if it is (AG) glass or not, but I know the 50 and 60 doesn't have it. You can find a few people too talking about the same. Having “acoustic glass” on couple of my BMWs, I definitely can relate to that especially when picking up a loaner of the same but without AG. 7 is quiet and its base glass is thick, but the acoustic glass makes a difference. AG in BMW is mentioned out in the glass ID "bug" either by name or graphically with the ear symbol. It's listed for my X7 and un the spec too, and am certain it was not mentioned on the i7 xDrive 60 that I saw about 6 months ago. Folks online confirmed the same as far as AG not available on the 50 and 60. Will the extra package available on the M70 include that? I don't know but I hope it does for a car like the 7.
The climate comfort package does not include acoustic glass.

Originally Posted by Jabibblesworth
IMO the ridiculously large grill on the front of that monstrosity makes it look like freight truck. They reached e new level of ugly sorry to say.
Nobody me included thinks the 7 looks better than the S Class, but it is exponentially nicer inside and it drives better. So, what matters most to you?
Old 03-01-2024, 09:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
W210 E55, BMW Individual 7
Just for clarities sake, 356 adds a layer of laminate in between a two panes of glass. You can feel the double pane ridges at the top, my 7 was equipped with it. Additionally, I confirmed with the product manager that this continues to be the case with G70. To quote directly from him, “It’s not the same as just dual pane glass. There’s a glazing in the glass that further blocks out noise and heat”

Secondly the M70 has different air springs with smaller chambers for less wheel travel but also quicker responses. The ride quality will be holistically different with a sport tuned suspension with different springs, thicker anti roll bars, different adaptive damper tuning, and 2-3in larger wheels.

@Streamliner spent $30k in getting an executive line S580 with worthless (to him) rear seat options just to have 10 degree rear wheel steering. I think an option as all encompassing as the active suspension may convince him to shell out.

I’ve attached the wording from technical press release on the executive drive pro portion of the Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview. Hopefully this provides further understanding. A new feature in the G70 is that the air springs actively adjust pressure to counteract upcoming bumps and road conditions.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,069 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by CSLA
Just for clarities sake, 356 adds a layer of laminate in between a two panes of glass. You can feel the double pane ridges at the top, my 7 was equipped with it. Additionally, I confirmed with the product manager that this continues to be the case with G70. To quote directly from him, “It’s not the same as just dual pane glass. There’s a glazing in the glass that further blocks out noise and heat”

Secondly the M70 has different air springs with smaller chambers for less wheel travel but also quicker responses. The ride quality will be holistically different with a sport tuned suspension with different springs, thicker anti roll bars, different adaptive damper tuning, and 2-3in larger wheels.

@Streamliner spent $30k in getting an executive line S580 with worthless (to him) rear seat options just to have 10 degree rear wheel steering. I think an option as all encompassing as the active suspension may convince him to shell out.

I’ve attached the wording from technical press release on the executive drive pro portion of the Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview. Hopefully this provides further understanding. A new feature in the G70 is that the air springs actively adjust pressure to counteract upcoming bumps and road conditions.
Today, I will be canceling my order for the I7 eDrive50. I need to drive an I7 xDrive60 with the Autobahn Pkg., which includes the Active Drive with Road Preview system. It sounds like something I would very much like to have, but I need to experience it.

I made what turned out to be a huge blunder, by leasing my 2022 S580 with E-ABC, without first driving the car. That was the first and last time I will ever make that mistake. I was so in love with the previous Magic Body Control systems in my three W222 sedans, that I blindly trusted that MB’s highly touted “new & improved” E-ABC system would deliver a ride quality that would be reasonably improved over MBC, but in reality, it didn’t even come close to the previous system. So, when I hear “48 volt” operation of this BMW suspension, it scares me. It sounds spectacular in writing, but so did the written description of E-ABC. I’ll be searching for a car to test drive. Stay tuned…….
Old 03-01-2024, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by CSLA
I still don't think I buy that for noise, you feel the ridges at the top of the glass on the regular 7 too. If BMW had intended that glass to reduce noise in addition to blocking heat, don't you think they would have put that in the product description/marketing material for the option?
Old 03-01-2024, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Today, I will be canceling my order for the I7 eDrive50. I need to drive an I7 xDrive60 with the Autobahn Pkg., which includes the Active Drive with Road Preview system. It sounds like something I would very much like to have, but I need to experience it.

I made what turned out to be a huge blunder, by leasing my 2022 S580 with E-ABC, without first driving the car. That was the first and last time I will ever make that mistake. I was so in love with the previous Magic Body Control systems in my three W222 sedans, that I blindly trusted that MB’s highly touted “new & improved” E-ABC system would deliver a ride quality that would be reasonably improved over MBC, but in reality, it didn’t even come close to the previous system. So, when I hear “48 volt” operation of this BMW suspension, it scares me. It sounds spectacular in writing, but so did the written description of E-ABC. I’ll be searching for a car to test drive. Stay tuned…….
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a Toyota Highlander or Camry off the lot?
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
Bubba1 (03-01-2024), Streamliner (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:13 AM

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts
2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)

Oh Stream, you’re a constant source of entertainment.

I do agree with you however, that you should have a proper overnight test drive before signing on the dotted line. I have also made the same mistake with past vehicle purchases.
Streamliner (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 692 Posts
23 S580 Executive
If you haven't bought the wrong car, slept with the wrong woman, so on, you haven't lived.
The following 6 users liked this post by crabman:
Bubba1 (03-01-2024), jsakabuck (03-02-2024), js_cls (03-01-2024), martinlarose (03-01-2024), regancc (03-01-2024), Streamliner (03-01-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:59 AM

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
W210 E55, BMW Individual 7
@Streamliner you should have your dealer run a locate within 100 miles to see if there are any 2VS equipped 60s for you to drive. Additionally, you may want to check individual dealers CPO inventories to see if they have any cars so equipped.

if it gives you any comfort, the 2VS system in the G12 was also 48V and is quite similar to the G70 system unlike the W222-W223, which was a completely new technology and a switch from a oil based suspension to air with hydraulic rams.

The current Rolls-Royce product line has a similar set up with the “flag bearer” system (ie active comfort drive with road preview) and no one has complained about the ride quality.

Streamliner (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 12:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 20 Posts
2023 S580

I can check our entire vehicle inventory (AutoNation) if you like - just let me know.
aypues (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Last 5 years: S560, X7, X5, Accord; Sold:15'S550, 20'BMW X7; 19'BMW 530e; 20'Lincoln Navigator,LS460
The climate comfort package does not include acoustic glass.
Again that's not necessarily true as I see it. There is an AG glass but I just don't know if it comes only as a part of the climate control package in the M70, or already standard in the M70 regardless of the climate comfort package. The 50 and 60 obviously don't have them, unless the climate comfort pkg also add that. The vagueness about it is clearly their way to hide the fact they downgraded their standard for the glass noise in the lower trims, which is a shame to do for a car like the 7. This has been recent trend by BMW, removing standard features and they've done the same for the X7 LCI taking away a few comfort-related features (even the rear doors now don't have comfort access, leaving it only for front doors).

Last edited by S_W222; 03-01-2024 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think that's the right thing to do @Streamliner . Good luck with next steps. From the description above, their new marketing name for that package sounds like the same exact package that has been known as the (Dynamic Handling Package). I have it on the X7 and X5, and it really makes a huge difference in ride quality.
Streamliner (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,069 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by regancc
I can check our entire vehicle inventory (AutoNation) if you like - just let me know.
Well, right now, I just want to drive an I7 xDrive60 with the Autobahn Pkg., so I’m hoping there is a car in the greater Orange County area. If you can easily check inventory there, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2024, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Again that's not necessarily true as I see it. There is an AG glass but I just don't know if it comes only as a part of the climate control package in the M70, or already standard in the M70 regardless of the climate comfort package. The 50 and 60 obviously don't have them, unless the climate comfort pkg also add that. The vagueness about it is clearly their way to hide the fact they downgraded their standard for the glass noise in the lower trims, which is a shame to do for a car like the 7. This has been recent trend by BMW, removing standard features and they've done the same for the X7 LCI taking away a few comfort-related features (even the rear doors now don't have comfort access, leaving it only for front doors).
Why are you so certain that there is an acoustic glass option?

AFAIK the S Class doesn’t have any acoustic glass.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500

Laminated side glass standard in the S Class.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
04 Lexus LS430

Really?

S_W222 (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by Jabibblesworth
I also thought this way. This grille looks massive and ridiculous. I even remember a couple of memes about the future BMW models. But when I saw a car in real life, I changed my mind completely.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
It is better in person; once seen in real life, I'd settle with hideous instead of the scatological descriptions I was using beforehand. I would also venture to say the color matters with the 7, black is especially good at reducing the pain.

I still like the S class better: I'm ok with the sides and the rear, but that that schnoz just isn't cutting it on the 7, not for this kid. The interior is a push for me; I like some things better in one than the other but they come out about even for me. One area I'm pretty sure I would prefer in the 7 is the way it drives but I never took the new version for a spin, I don't test drive cars I know I won't buy. The A8 feels old inside, I drove it later in the day after having tested the S class and I couldn't get past it. To be honest I think I like that car better, but I just couldn't get past the sense that it was dated. I don't want my new car to feel old.
Ormond2004 (04-24-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
Laminated side glass standard in the S Class.
Yes, and standard on the 7 Series but in this thread we are being told that doesn't mean its acoustic

Originally Posted by aypues
Really?

Given what has been said here I don't know if thats true, the glass is all laminated but it is not stamped "acoustic" on any of it.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are wrong again SW20S with regards to “S-class does not have ANY acoustic glass”. The S-class does have acoustic glass.
Here is formal disclaimer by MBUSA: “The S-Class has green-tinted thermal insulation glass as standard. The windshield is made of laminated safety glass with an integral acoustic membrane, while the side windows and rear window are of single-pane safety glass. Laminated safety glass all-round is available as standard equipment. This insulates against heat and noise, and reflects infrared radiation.”
Source: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...z-s-class-2021

The same is true for BMW. Acoustic has been available in the X5 and X7 and several other vehicles and usually indicated on the glass. Regional BMW sales manager that am in contact with had mentioned before the the i7 M70 has acoustic glass. Another user here indicated that he was told the same by his salesman/dealer. There is clear indications that the i7 50 and 60 trims do not have it, and there is a yet to be confirmed hypothesis that the climate comfort pkg may bring that to the 60 as well (if the pkg is available for the 60).
Old 03-02-2024, 01:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Acoustic glass is marketingspeak. Take calipers and measure the door glass thickness, this is the only definitive way to know.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Whatever glass is in there, works pretty darn well, no matter the nomenclature; the car is very quiet.
The following 2 users liked this post by crabman:
Bubba1 (03-02-2024), Streamliner (03-02-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ordered a new car today…………