S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Just aquired W220 S600. Heat exchanger upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S600
Just aquired W220 S600. Heat exchanger upgrade

Hi All,

This is just to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about my S600.

After years of modifying Saabs for big horsepower, I've decided that a car designed to take big hp in the first place is the place to start.

I picked up a UK S600 from a very good friend with a known history with - wait for it - 142,000 miles Despite this, it is near mint condition since it's been used as a motorway car.

Most of the big items my friend ended up paying for during his ownership - ABC, coil pack etc - and so I'm hoping for no nasty shocks for a little while.

My intention is maintain it as far as possible myself. Having just hooked up an OBD device, the fact that previous MB dealers missed obvious anomalies has confirmed this decision. First off, long term fuel trim is at 23% (02 sensor having to lean off). Does this suggest a dirty MAF?

IATs are also high. So, I jumpered the W relay for the intercooler pump and there is no current draw. This suggests a dead pump, I'd think. Yes?

Given this, I've just bought this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT I don't want the chargecooler or fan, just the heat exchanger and Bosch pump. I'll report back after it's fitted. These heat exchangers are only $150 and could be a good DIY upgrade if it fits.

I've also just had the car remapped by Eurocharged. It doesn't feel much quicker but, my guess is that the non-working pump is the cause of this. Does that sound right?

Cheers,

Alanb
Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM

S600
B*gger. Just realised I've posted this in the wrong section. Consider this a S65 wannabe post then
Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
There is no MAF on the M275 motor, it has pressure sensors in the airboxes and downstream of the throttle body.

If you are not getting anything on the pump relay, warm up the car and press on one of the Schrader valves where the intercooler cores are and see if it starts pissing out coolant.

Also if you run the car for a while and touch the intercoolers and they are BLAZING hot, that would indicate a faulty pump.

The heat exchanger in your eBay link looks like it might be too big to fit. I'd upgrade to the Eurocharged intercooler instead.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM

S600
Oxygen,

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing your soon to be opened web pages.

So the M275 uses MAP sensors rather than a MAF sensor? That then makes explaining why the long term fuel trim is at 23% a bit more difficult. In my experience, MAP sensors tend to be very reliable. Wouldn't the MAP sensor also be used with IAT sensor data and coolant temp sensor data for fuelling? I think that's the way it is with Saabs. Perhaps one of those sensors is out of range???

Thanks,

Alanb
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Pinto
Originally Posted by drabux
Oxygen,

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing your soon to be opened web pages.

So the M275 uses MAP sensors rather than a MAF sensor? That then makes explaining why the long term fuel trim is at 23% a bit more difficult. In my experience, MAP sensors tend to be very reliable. Wouldn't the MAP sensor also be used with IAT sensor data and coolant temp sensor data for fuelling? I think that's the way it is with Saabs. Perhaps one of those sensors is out of range???

Thanks,

Alanb

what did you buy? omg

i think you iat sensor (charge air temp) is really high..therefore cause your fuel trim to retard and also timing as well...

most likely your electric circulation pump is out...also check the relay and fuse..

turbo car don't use maf.. it use pressure sensor
Old 05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Could be out of range, we would need to check with a data logger or the SDS computer.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Hi All,

This is just to introduce myself and tell you a little bit about my S600.

After years of modifying Saabs for big horsepower, I've decided that a car designed to take big hp in the first place is the place to start.

I picked up a UK S600 from a very good friend with a known history with - wait for it - 142,000 miles Despite this, it is near mint condition since it's been used as a motorway car.

Most of the big items my friend ended up paying for during his ownership - ABC, coil pack etc - and so I'm hoping for no nasty shocks for a little while.

My intention is maintain it as far as possible myself. Having just hooked up an OBD device, the fact that previous MB dealers missed obvious anomalies has confirmed this decision. First off, long term fuel trim is at 23% (02 sensor having to lean off). Does this suggest a dirty MAF?

IATs are also high. So, I jumpered the W relay for the intercooler pump and there is no current draw. This suggests a dead pump, I'd think. Yes?

Given this, I've just bought this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT I don't want the chargecooler or fan, just the heat exchanger and Bosch pump. I'll report back after it's fitted. These heat exchangers are only $150 and could be a good DIY upgrade if it fits.

I've also just had the car remapped by Eurocharged. It doesn't feel much quicker but, my guess is that the non-working pump is the cause of this. Does that sound right?

Cheers,

Alanb
Hi Alan,

Do I assume that you weren't able to get that heat exchanger to fit?

I have a vested interest for a very good reason, but I'm not sure if you're still hanging round here any more....

Cheers, Nick
Old 06-15-2012, 03:10 AM

S600
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Hi Alan,

Do I assume that you weren't able to get that heat exchanger to fit?

I have a vested interest for a very good reason, but I'm not sure if you're still hanging round here any more....

Cheers, Nick
Hello Nick,

Nope. I never did. It's still sitting in the garage! It looked to me like it would fit, however. I'd be happy to pass it on to you for a reasonable price.

Look after that car

Alanb
Old 06-15-2012, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Hello Nick,
Nope. I never did. It's still sitting in the garage! It looked to me like it would fit, however. I'd be happy to pass it on to you for a reasonable price.
Look after that car
Alanb

Hi Alan,

Good to hear from you. I'd be very interested in that HE - what are the dimensions?

Do I assume correctly that the HE is sandwiched between the AC rad and the engine rad? And that the S/SL/CL600 HE is about half height, and the S/SL/CL65 HE is about full height? I'm not hell-bent on a horse power chase, but it sounds like a sensible mod to me.

After an initial panic, the car is now running without worries. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow - the brakes need a bit of work, and I'll probably give it a precautionary service.

Yes, its a heck of a car, the highlight of a long and interesting motoring career.

Cheers, Nick
Old 06-15-2012, 06:45 AM

S600
Nick,

I'm pretty sure it's this one: http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...eef1d577f3583a
The plan was to put it in front of the other rads. I never got round to taking off the bumper and measuring it up to see if it would fit, though.

Alanb
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Thanks Alan. That looks like one of the bigger charge cooler rads available.

I've confused myself though, and I'm not sure what the existing unit is. I thought it was sandwiched between the aircon rad and the water rad. But after looking at the car, it looks like the charge cooler HE is at the front, the aircon rad in the middle, and the water rad at the back. That makes sense, as all the pictures of S/SL/CL600's I've seen show a half-height HE at the front, while the 65's have a full-height HE.

That being true, I measured the stock HE at about 24" x 10.5", while the core of the Frozen Boost HE is 24" x 12", so not much bigger. The space available is more like 25" x 18", which has me wondering. The HE is just a water rad - so why not just use another water-rad? A real one.

I've been looking around, and the Frozen Boost HE is actually a similar size to the water radiators on most average cars! So a water rad to fill that space would have to be from a pretty big car. Something like the Jag XJR seems to have a large charge cooler HE covering pretty much the whole of the main rad, so if I can find a cross-flow water rad that measures around 25 x 18, and I can adapt the pipe fittings, I might have a very high capacity HE.

I feel the slippery slope coming on. I need to get down to earth and get the bucket and sponge out (we still have a hose-pipe ban here ).

Nick

PS: This is a listing of the car, for the record: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-MERCE...item27c7182cf5

Edit: Of course, what I haven't considered is whether a second main water rad in front of the AC rad and engine rad will block the airflow too much. The BiTurbo engine compartment is a hot place, and I don't want it getting too hot. Slim charge cooler HE's may intentionally have fewer fins and less airflow restriction, as they're intended to be used in front of a water rad.

Last edited by Welwynnick; 06-16-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Well, I've just had an idea.

I've been getting to know my new V12TT this weekend, and taken a few things apart. This is my fifth V12 of one sort or another, so you'd think I wouldn't have too many surprises (or that I might know better...). However, the packaging of the engine compartment still took my breath away, and left me hoping nothing would go wrong. I've only just seen the secondary water radiator, and I had been curious where the IC pump was....

A bigger charge cooler HE would be good, but the aftermarket ones are expensive, and I'm not sure I trust aftermarket manufacturers to make radiators that perform as well as OE, with regard to cooling capacity, water flow restriction, air flow restriction, reliability etc. I think modern rads are pretty sophisticated things, and manufactured very cost-effectively. So I was eyeing the AC and IC rads pretty closely, and thought they looked remarkably similar in their construction. The AC rad measures about 600x500x16mm, with the IC rad almost identical, but about half the height. AC condensers are readily available from any radiator manufacturer or distributor these days, and they're not expensive.

So how about using a second AC condenser, in front of the existing one, but running IC water instead of AC gas? It would pick-up on the existing mountings with little modification, and I reckon the ABC cooler could be relocated on the second condensor. It would need new pipe connections, but that's not an insoluble problem. I think that would fit neatly, double the IC cooling capacity, and would even look pretty orignal.

What do you think?

Nick

Last edited by Welwynnick; 06-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...lass-w220.html

I plan on getting a custom one made.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...exchanger.html