SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: I don't want to purchase the Integrated system from MB for a Phone...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to purchase the Integrated system from MB for a Phone...

I don't want to purchase the integrated system(to use the auto wireless hardware) from MB because at $1475+labor it simply isn't worth it. Can you guys suggest an alternative to it?

I have an 06 SL500
Old 04-27-2006, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by ColdIntake1
I don't want to purchase the integrated system(to use the auto wireless hardware) from MB because at $1475+labor it simply isn't worth it. Can you guys suggest an alternative to it?

I have an 06 SL500
$1,475 is cheap. Does it include Voice control, cradel, phone, and bluetooth adaptor?

You can purchase a Agros bluetooth system for about $800. I have it in my SLK320 and it works great. But if you want voice control by taping on a stalk on the stering wheel, you will have to pay about $400 for the Voice Control module and kit.

You will need to call the company in the link, becuase I do not think the Argos system work on MHI or with the 2005 SL and newer.

http://www.connects2usa.com/

Last edited by tiggerfink; 04-27-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tiggerfink
$1,475 is cheap. Does it include Voice control, cradel, phone, and bluetooth adaptor?

You can purchase a Agros bluetooth system for about $800. I have it in my SLK320 and it works great. But if you want voice control by taping on a stalk on the stering wheel, you will have to pay about $400 for the Voice Control module and kit.

You will need to call the company in the link, becuase I do not think the Argos system work on MHI or with the 2005 SL and newer.

No, it's only for the Integrated system from the dealer that they need to install, which the 1475 price does not include installation. The Cradle/blue tooth and phone must be purchased separately.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 SL 550
$350.00 from Mercedes bluetooth

http://www.wireless4mb.com/
Old 04-28-2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by mveloz
$350.00 from Mercedes bluetooth

http://www.wireless4mb.com/
You need the integrated system for 1475 then use that bluetooth module.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,301 Likes on 2,047 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Didn't the 06 already come with MHI installed?

Voice control is not needed anyway unless you want it, so the only thing is normally the cradle and phone of your choice. That can be substituted with the bluetooth adapter if you don't want it.

That would make $275-$350 for Bluetooth & $500 or so for voicecontrol/install.

Wolfman
Old 04-28-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Didn't the 06 already come with MHI installed?

Voice control is not needed anyway unless you want it, so the only thing is normally the cradle and phone of your choice. That can be substituted with the bluetooth adapter if you don't want it.

That would make $275-$350 for Bluetooth & $500 or so for voicecontrol/install.

Wolfman
Can you please elaborate since I don't have much experience with this stuff.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:46 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
I thought 05 and newer were pre wired with phone? On mine, all I bought was the cradle and phone and snapped it in. If the car is not pre wired, it isn't worth the headache.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Juice it
I thought 05 and newer were pre wired with phone? On mine, all I bought was the cradle and phone and snapped it in. If the car is not pre wired, it isn't worth the headache.
It's I guess pre-wired, but needs some integration unit. I'm curious, where did you plug in the cradle in? That is, do you have some Before/after pics. Because opening my center console I don't see anywhere I snap it in.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Can you please elaborate since I don't have much experience with this stuff.
Again, I am not sure on the '06 models, but if you have this connector in your console (maybe under a cover), then all you need is the bluetooth connector and that's it (or a Mercedes phone & cradle).

Voice control is optional and allows you make calls without the keypad, along with controlling other components of the car (cd, radio).
Attached Thumbnails I don't want to purchase the Integrated system from MB for a Phone...-conector.jpg  
Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
I think the phone adaptor was an optional item in the SL500s. If you have the adaptor shown in Wolf's picture in the top compartment of the center console, you only need the Bluetooth interface.

The center console has two compartments. The phone is installed in the top compartment.

http://www.wireless4mb.com/Cradles/h...or_manual.html

Last edited by tiggerfink; 04-28-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:30 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
If you have that pictured above, the cradle snaps right on to that and thats it.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:05 AM

Yep, don't have it. Not sure if it's worth getting it, for a total for 2700 for all the stuff. Anyone know of a cheap place(or the cheapest dealer) that I could get the integration phone kit?
Old 04-29-2006, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Yep, don't have it. Not sure if it's worth getting it, for a total for 2700 for all the stuff. Anyone know of a cheap place(or the cheapest dealer) that I could get the integration phone kit?
firstly can you say with any authority whether or not your car is prewire with teleaid or has the cables in place.

If it is like USA cars in the past the job should be quite manageable. As far as I know it would be something like this.

- trim with clip
- control module
- mirror with microphones

Then
- phone cradle

Optional
- voice control (add lever, optical cables, control module)

If you car is not prewired then the price is quite reasonable considering the amount of dismantling needed.

Possibly get a quote from steve@mbenznl.com
Old 04-29-2006, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by tiggerfink

Argos is only valid in Pre-2005
Old 04-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by benzmodz
firstly can you say with any authority whether or not your car is prewire with teleaid or has the cables in place.

If it is like USA cars in the past the job should be quite manageable. As far as I know it would be something like this.

- trim with clip
- control module
- mirror with microphones

Then
- phone cradle

Optional
- voice control (add lever, optical cables, control module)

If you car is not prewired then the price is quite reasonable considering the amount of dismantling needed.

Possibly get a quote from steve@mbenznl.com
All current US MB's have teleaid and complete phone pre-wiring at minimum.

If the phone system is truly not installed, the standard phone kit to install includes the PSE, compensator, antenna switch w/cables and bracket, cradle mount, etc. (voice control optional). The PSE is an MHI, similar to the UHI PSE outside of the US (but not compatible).

I suggest the following:
1. Confirm that you truly do not have a PSE installed. The PSE is the interface controller for the phone to the car systems (comand, steering wheel controls & instrument cluster).
Instead of taking your car apart you can check this by going into the service menu of the comand display (don't remember the key sequence. Somebody please post it for the DVD comand please or do a search in this forum. You should find all relevant info) If the PSE is listed as device w/version info, then it is built-in with all required cables, etc.

2 A. If you have it: You should only need to buy the bluetooth (cradle model) and a cradle mount (probably $20 or so).
2 B. Nothing there means to need to get a kit. Get a quote from Steve for the MHI setup & bluetooth (don't waste money on a Mercedes-branded phone). This should come in at a significantly lower cost than MB's quote.
3. Once you have the price, decide if the features are worth the costs to you...

Personally, we have the phone setup in all cars, but where you really need it is in the SL. I found it virtually impossible to hear a call coming in with the top down and some music going

Good luck,

Wolfman
Old 04-29-2006, 03:37 PM

If the phone system is truly not installed, the standard phone kit to install includes the PSE, compensator, antenna switch w/cables and bracket, cradle mount, etc. (voice control optional). The PSE is an MHI, similar to the UHI PSE outside of the US (but not compatible).

I suggest the following:
1. Confirm that you truly do not have a PSE installed. The PSE is the interface controller for the phone to the car systems (comand, steering wheel controls & instrument cluster).
Instead of taking your car apart you can check this by going into the service menu of the comand display (don't remember the key sequence. Somebody please post it for the DVD comand please or do a search in this forum. You should find all relevant info) If the PSE is listed as device w/version info, then it is built-in with all required cables, etc.

2 A. If you have it: You should only need to buy the bluetooth (cradle model) and a cradle mount (probably $20 or so).
2 B. Nothing there means to need to get a kit. Get a quote from Steve for the MHI setup & bluetooth (don't waste money on a Mercedes-branded phone). This should come in at a significantly lower cost than MB's quote.
3. Once you have the price, decide if the features are worth the costs to you...

Personally, we have the phone setup in all cars, but where you really need it is in the SL. I found it virtually impossible to hear a call coming in with the top down and some music going

Good luck,

Wolfman
Wow great info. One more question, from my understanding if I opt for the integration kit(what it seems is called the MHI) do I need to pay extra for voice control? Because it seems to me I need the integration kit and voice control will be activated.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Wow great info. One more question, from my understanding if I opt for the integration kit(what it seems is called the MHI) do I need to pay extra for voice control? Because it seems to me I need the integration kit and voice control will be activated.
I haven't looked at the integration kit in detail, but in the past the voice control was included.

Keep in mind that the voice control isn't needed for anything and is of marginal value anyway. This is why it is offered these days by MB as an option, independent of the phone system.

Alternatively, you could install the voice control even without having a phone installed. I wouldn't know why anybody would do this as the biggest value is in the use of the phone, but you could still control the radio, tape, cd/cd changer...

Wolfman
Old 04-29-2006, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
I haven't looked at the integration kit in detail, but in the past the voice control was included.

Keep in mind that the voice control isn't needed for anything and is of marginal value anyway. This is why it is offered these days by MB as an option, independent of the phone system.

Alternatively, you could install the voice control even without having a phone installed. I wouldn't know why anybody would do this as the biggest value is in the use of the phone, but you could still control the radio, tape, cd/cd changer...

Wolfman
Doesnt the USA VCS input destination like it does in the Euro VCS version.

VCS = voice control system.

Secondly, the PSE isnt expensive if the car is prewired. For a prewired car I would expect a quote of $1000 installed or so with a MHI cradle. By going UHI which uses the same wiring harness there are more phone options.

By staying with MHI the bluetooth is an option currently.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Argos is only valid in Pre-2005
At this current time Argos does not work on the new phone equipment on MHOST. But EIS will eventualy have ARGOS working on the newer MBs. It's just a matter of time.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS

Wolfman
The new C350 has telaid as an option. My dealer told me that if you do not order the car with telaid, it will be expensive to install it. My dealer was not sure if the dealership could install telaid. But the phone is per wired.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Click on this link if you think you can install the phone equipment yourself. http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phon.../2005%20SL.pdf

If your car is under factory warranty, I recommend that you only install factory approve equipment for MBUSA. For example, I got my Sirius radio installed with a hidden antenna at another dealership. But my local dealership will not touch my command under factory warranty because I have a non-approved Sirius antenna. I have to drive to the MB dealership that installed my Sirius radio for any warranty work on the command and on my Sirius radio.

If your car is not under factory warranty, I recommend the MB factory phone solution and VCM for your car. You can purchase the equipment and install it yourself or have the dealer do it for you. I wished I had the VCM solution for my SLK. If you spend that much money on a car, stop being cheap and purchase the MB phone solution with VCM.

If you are cheap wait until Argos has a solution for your car. I have Argos in my SLK 320 and love it. I got the Argos solution because MB does not have a phone solution for my SLK. Last year no dealer could sell any phone solution for my SLK because of the transition to www.wireless4mb.com. Once MB has the Bluetooth solution for my 2004 SL500 I will purchase it from MB, because I already have a MB phone installed in my SL500.

Last edited by tiggerfink; 04-30-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Banned

03 SL 500 Launch Edition, 98 ML 320 (sold), 01 S 500 (sold), 03 CLK 55 (sold)
Go with the Bluetooth believe me. All the newer cars are starting to use it, all the new phones have it, and the great thing is not only that it is cheaper, but you can use any phone via the bluetooth not just one line!